Start by marking “Late for Work” as Want to Read:
Late for Work

Late for Work

David Tucker has been writing Late for Work throughout his twenty-eight-year career at top city newspapers. In his poems he follows reporters hustling for stories and captures the beauty of everyday life, lived between breaking headlines.
Published April 4th 2006 by Mariner Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Late for Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Late for Work

Carole B
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Despite winning a writing prize, this collection of poetry is reasonable and satisfying. It leaves out nothing important.
“Through the open window, in the heavy summer evening, a catbird lights on the backyard fence and sings the song it always sings, the song of staying in the same town all your life.” Always Here (21)
Tucker’s poems have a loyalty that makes their descriptions beautiful rather than condescending. His taste for truth comes through clearly, perhaps journalistic influence, but the
T.
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favourites
This book is beautiful, and I am having trouble with words saying how much. I picked this up because I am frustrated journalist, and by that I mean, I've always wanted to be one but ended up doing something else, and by that I mean, I was supposed to study journalism but my parents did not approve of my writing life (so much story there, but we'll leave it at that). The only time I worked for a paper was in high school, and I have missed that little 'newsroom' so much these past few years. Whi
Carly Laird
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love poetry that focuses on small anecdotal moments and human relationships, and Tucker's volume does just that, additionally centering around the lives of those of us who get lost in that morning cup of coffee for just long enough to be late for work.
Larry Richardson
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Found this little collection of poems by accident and what a truly great accident it was. I love poems that are simple, lacking in flowery language, and speak to the heart. Add to this, that David is my cousin and writes about our home town and his family, the poems speak to me.
Karen
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I picked up David Tucker's poetry collection, Late for Work, because of the words on the back cover: "David Tucker has been writing Late for Work throughout his twenty-eight year career at top city newspapers. In his poems he follows reporters hustling for stories and captures the beauty of everyday life lived between breaking headlines."

I was interested in what a reporter/poet would have to say about life at a newspaper -- In another life, many years before I started teaching, I was a reporter
Sharon
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: booksalreadyread
I don't read a lot of poetry collections (I know I should read more...) but this one is really wonderful. It's about the world of work (the author is a long-time newspaper journalist and editor) and the style and subjet matter is reminiscent of Philip Levine, who voted for it in the Bakeless competition. Really moving work, I think.
Emily
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shameless plug for my dad's book. I am giving him 4 stars so that I can give his next book 5.
Gustav Klimt
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful new voice in American poetry, and, if things keep going as they are, perhaps an important lyric historian of the the world of the newsroom.
Hanna Raskin