Start by marking “Little Teashop of Horrors: A wonderful funny, uplifting romantic read, perfect to escape with” as Want to Read:

Recommended Read by Jayne at Dear Author. A rating.

Secrets, lies, carrot cake – and an owl called Skrillex!
Amy Knowles has always been the plain sidekick to her pretty best friend Jules. And whilst the tearoom they both work in on the Monkpark Hall estate in Yorkshire is not exactly awash with eligible bachelors, it’s obvious where the male attention is concentrated –
Published March 26th 2017 by Choc Lit

To ask other readers questions about Little Teashop of Horrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Teashop of Horrors

Berit☀️✨
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, blog-tour
4 Quirky Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Well... I have found the perfect romance for my friends that have an aversion towards romance books… there will be no eye rolling in this unusual and very delightful romance... there is no alpha male or sophisticated heroin… there is no Insta love, no walk of shame in the morning, no angst… what there is though is lovely real characters... characters you would actually meet when walking down the street... a beta hero who you’ll fall in love with… and a heroin who does not hav
Dash fan
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5☆ Prepare to fall in love!

Little Teashop of Horrors is a quirky fun read with great characters. I devoured it in one night.

The Little Tea Shop is under new ownership and he is threatening to close it down.
Edmund has come in and wants to change things. But Amy and Jules have other ideas.

Amy lives with her Grandmother in the cottage that belongs to the Monkpark Hall.
Amy is terrified if she loses her job then they will lose their home too.
I loved Amy's grandmother, it appears she has early onset o
DJ Sakata
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

Jules had a tendency to go off in full pursuit of any man that took her fancy like a whippet after a sausage.

Julia pulled the ‘sensible one’ trick, a move so rare that it was probably endangered… Her heels clattered over the waxed and shiny boards, attracting his attention to our approach, while my sensible flats squealed and squeaked like distressed hamsters.

That young lady is all fur coat and no knickers. She’ll find herself in trouble one of these days, mark my words.

His face
Kirsty 📚📖❤️
Jane is fast becoming one of my favourite romance authors (after Kirsty Ferry  natch :) ). I never used to read romances and still aren't a fan of many but I love Jane's because there's always a twist, always someone with a secret and I enjoy trying to work it out. I'm about 50/50 so far with the one's I've read. And I half got this one.

I'm still trying to work out where the 'horrors' come into the book although once you hear Josh's backstory then I guess that would fit as it's quite awful but
Karen Mace
Shelves: 2017, choc-lit, e-books
I adored this book!! It's a story full of romance, laughs, heartache, cake, drama and an amazing owl called Skrillex! The cover is pretty gorgeous too!!

This is the story of Amy who works at Monkpark Hall in the cafe with her best friend Julia. They've grown up together and the historic hall is more than a place of work for them both but with a new owner arriving the panic sets in about whether there will be a place for them anymore.

Amy lives with her grandmother in a cottage nearby, and her gran
Anne
Shelves: kindle
I’m a totally unashamed fan of Jane Lovering’s writing. It’s always a teeny bit quirky, romance with perfectly judged humour that has you laughing out loud at times, but often with a surprising edge of darkness. And this book – well, I’m delighted to tell you that it’s up there with her very best.

This story is told in two clear and distinctive voices. I loved Amy from the very beginning, as she worried about what the future held for the tearooms at Monkpark Hall, while squirting buttercream flow
Rhoda Baxter
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m a fan of Jane’s books - I like the mixture of comedy and darkness. I wasn’t expecting a teashop book from her, to be honest. Anyway, we have a book about a tea shop. In Yorkshire. So there are scones and fairy cakes and raspberry crunch. There are also birds of prey. Owls! Hooray!

The heroine, Amy, had grown up being told that she’s nothing much to look at and not terribly good for anything. She has a pretty best friend, who isn’t very nice to her, and a grandmother who has old fashioned view
Ann Cooper
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved Jane's books - she brings so much humour to them. The humour is still there in this one but it goes a little deeper than usual. The hero is dysfunctional, the heroine is not a stunning blonde and is too nice for her own good.

I couldn't put it down. In the usual romcom you don't root for the people in the way that I did for these characters. Josh was such a damaged man and so unlike an alpha male hero! Amy was far too nice - it was always the line of least resistance for her.
Christina
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read and loved all Jane Lovering’s books and can never get enough of her quirky sense of humour or different, but amazing, heroes. This, however, was probably my favourite of all her books – it is, quite simply, wonderful! The hero is so unusual he shouldn’t work as a hero at all, but he does, beautifully. He grows on you slowly but surely, and as he emerges from the deep shadows in which he’s been dwelling, the reader falls in love with him just as the heroine does. And the heroine – chu ...more
Donna Maguire

I am a fan of this author's books anyway but I have to say that I completely adored this book!! It has a fantastic cover that drew me in and the story is superb, full of laughs, romance, heartache and drama - exactly what you need for this kind of book!!

The characters were great and I loved their interaction, the plot was superb and I was addicted to the story - it had me flying through the pages and I read it in a few hours!

Five stars from me and I loved
Cathy Ryan
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, romance
The story focuses on Josh and Amy, with alternating chapters from each of their perspectives, two people with completely different backgrounds and experiences of life. Amy runs a tea shop at Monkpark Hall with her best friend Julia, on behalf of the Heritage Trust. The Trust has appointed a new manager and Edmund Evershott has lots of plans for Monkpark Hall. The fate of the tea shop is anyone’s guess. It’s more than a job for Amy, she and her grandmother live in a cottage in the estate village, ...more
Debbie Southwell
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jane Lovering does it again! I was hooked on this book as soon as I started reading it.
It is the story of Amy and Josh who work at a National Trust House, Monkpark Hall. Amy works in the teashop and Josh works with the birds of prey. The story is told from both view points on alternate chapters, which is fantastic as you really get to understand the characters and how they are feeling/thinking.
Both of them have their own issues, low self-esteem and trust issues which are fully explored in the
Susan Roebuck
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Little Teashop of Horrors is one of those oh so rare reads that I didn’t want it to end. If I could analyse why I couldn’t put it down I’d say, in this case, it’s the characters and the writer’s voice that are so appealing.

Amy and Josh are two very flawed people with some rather nasty back-story, especially, Josh, who went straight to my heart. Amy, rather plump and no beauty, is certain guys will only look at her if they think they can get into her knickers. And Josh? A beautiful Heathcliff
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

If you've been reading a lot of dark and deep novels lately and fancy s change of 'scenery' so to speak, I highly recommend putting 'Little Teashop of Horrors' on your TBR! Well, let's be honest - I highly recommend putting this book on your TBR anyway! Don't be fooled by the 'horror' in the title - it isn't scary, although a couple of the characters leave a lot to be desired...

Amy works with her best friend, Julia, in
Tui Allen
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved every minute of this light-hearted easy-to-read story. The characters were all well-flawed but genuine and interesting. I loved them all. The setting was fabulous. I live in NZ but one of my grandmothers was born in Thirsk. So I always feel a pull towards Yorkshire, though I have never been there.
The plot was fine and character-driven.
But what I loved most was the beautifully drawn link between the damaged and "imprisoned" young man and his free-flying birds inhabiting the open sky in co
Bena Roberts
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Review - Little Teashop of Horrors by Jane Lovering

When I signed up for the blog tour of a Little Teashop of Horrors, I expected ghosts and cake! I was wrong. This is more comedy and cake that blood and gory bits.

The Good
This is a British romcom set in Yorkshire, and it features an owl! How original, I loved that! The heroine is Amy, and she is a little insecure about her looks.. but a knight in a shining tea-shop is just around the corner. Josh is a good boy with a crush on Amy.

The Bad
It too
Liz
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: delightful-chaps
I loved this book. A sweet charming romance filled with fun, warmth and characters that I fell in love with. Perfect for a sunny Sunday morning.
Bev
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
This is the second book I’ve read by Jane Lovering, and this is not a crime or thriller book so is not my usual read but I liked the sound of this story so decided to give it a go, and yet again this author had me turning the pages (or rather tapping my kindle to turn to the next page) to see where the story was going.

The book is set in a stately home called Monkpark Hall which is a grand building with grounds etc and a lovely little café. Monkpark Hall has a new Administrator called Edmund runn
Heartshaped Bluestocking
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let me say upfront, that I really enjoyed this book. The characters are very relatable and very real. A couple are annoying, horrible, selfish, and downright revolting. They do not, however, take away from the fact that this odd, idiosyncratic romance is an absolute delight, and is a great anti-dote to the standard sickly sweet romantic tropes churned out ad nausea.
I found the title to be a little misleading; the ‘Little Teashop of Horrors’ led me to expect something very different. I’m not exac
Julie
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nobody writes contemporary romantic comedy like multi award-winning author Jane Lovering! She has this wonderful ability of balancing humour, sadness, pathos and emotion with flair and aplomb and her latest novel, Little Teashop of Horrors is her best book yet! Quirky, hilarious and a joy from start to finish, Little Teashop of Horrors continues to cement her standing as one of the genre’s most talented writers.

When your best friend is absolutely gorgeous and has men throwing themselves at her o
Zoé-lee O'farrell
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every so often you pick up a book, any book and you know exactly how it will end in the first few pages. The same can be said here, however, the journey we go on with the two main characters Amy and Josh are not anything I have read before. This is my first book by Jane and I can honestly say this won’t be my last.

The chapters alternate between Amy and Josh, so you get to see their perception of the day to day life they both lead as their lives intertwine. Set in Monkpark Hall in Yorkshire (base
Louise
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When a new estate manager arrives at Monkpark Hall, Amy is seriously worried about the security of her job. She works in the tearoom but also lives in an estate owned cottage with her gran, so her job really does depend on everything. Her childhood friend Julia also works in the tearoom and colleague Josh calls in often between his bird of prey displays for a cup of tea and one of Amy’s delicious cupcakes.

I loved the characters, their Northern wit had me chuckling, especially Amy’s gran who remi
Helen
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not quite sure what I was expecting from this book. Going from the title part of me thought along the lines of the little shop of horrors and expected plants coming out singing. I have no idea why.

Instead we have two people, Amy who works in the teashop and Josh who works with the birds of prey, both have low self-esteem working at Monkpark Hall estate who in the end work together to find out what mysterious goings on are going on in the hall. The book is alternative chapters of each charact
This book was such a lovely change of pace from the typical American insta-lust, insta-love romances that I usually read. I've read a few British romances before and every time I do, I'm reminded of how much I like them. The author takes plenty of time to develop a real relationship between Amy and Josh and doesn't gloss over the amount of healing that he needs to do in order to move forward in his life. Josh was such a wounded hero and such a sweetheart. I also loved Amy, so smart and sensible ...more
Heather Belleguelle
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I've ploughed my way through the first quarter of this book and have now decided to call it a day. I'm not averse to stories moving slowly but this one seemed to drag. I felt that I couldn't really connect with the characters and I'm just not interested in them enough to find out what happens to them. Not a lot seems to have happened so far. I've read one Jane Lovering book before, which I wasn't overly keen on either. I find that somehow a very subtle coarseness comes through in her writing, wh ...more
Ellen
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Joshua is a damaged soul, a loner who only feels comfortable with his birds. As a falconer on an estate in Yorkshire, Joshua keeps to himself until he starts talking to Amy. Amy lives with her Gran, always feels insecure and second best, particularly since her Mom abandoned her. The characters in this story are quirky, and will steal your heart. A different kind of book, but it will restore your faith in humanity.
Becca McCulloch
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books this year

Lovely from start top finish. I read it twice in a weekend. The characters are flawless in a perfectly flawed way. That's enough tension in the plot top sustain interest and the humor is spot on. I'll definitely be visiting this story again and again.
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

Despite the misleading name, “Little Teashop of Horrors” is one of the sweetest contemporary romances around.

Read full review in the 2017 November issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Jessica Ryn
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming and uplifting read! Lots of humour interspersed with sudden moments of extreme poignancy leaving me with lots of throat lumps and shivers. Wonderful characters too with a refreshing sense of 'normal.' Such an enjoyable read! 😊
Pauline
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
First read by this author. Enjoyable easy read. Lovely characters especially the main 2. Enjoyed the storyline it was a bit different. Will try more of her books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jane Lovering was born in Devon, England but, following extradition procedures, now lives in Yorkshire. She has five children, four cats, two dogs and doesn't believe in housework so the bacteria and dust are approaching sentience and now rank among the pets. Incidentally, she doesn’t believe in ironing either, and the children all learned self-defensive cookery at early ages. She works in a local ...more