Start by marking “The Perfect Wife: The unique and explosive new thriller from the globally bestselling author of The Girl Before” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  2,341 ratings  ·  1,020 reviews
When Abbie Cullen met Tim Scott, she was a struggling artist and he was the brilliant British co-founder of one of Silicon Valley's most successful start-ups.

Within six months, they were married. But when she promised him in her wedding vows that she would love him forever, she had no idea just how literally he would take it...
Published March 19th 2019 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Wife, please sign up.
jendlo August 2019, supposedly. Another novel is coming first.

·  2,341 ratings  ·  1,020 reviews

Kaceey
I've been guilty of requesting a book without reading the blurb....I mean, not one little bit!
I see an author I know that I enjoy and, “click“ goes the request button! Typically I receive my standard, formulary thriller. Some better than others, but in the end, all falling into the same pattern.

Well...let me tell you about the shock on my face as I started in on this read, quickly realizing that finally the mold was officially broken!😳

What if you found the perfect wife...could you really just le
Felicia
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Westworld and The Stepford Wives and Sleeping With the Enemy and Gone Girl had a baby, J.P. Delaney would be the baby daddy.

_________________________________

"You don't change the future without changing the rules."

_________________________________

The last thing I want to do is ruin the experience of reading this book by divulging too much with my review so I'll just say this:

OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMGGGGGG!
I loved it!
I couldn't put it down!
Delaney's best book yet!

*** A gigantical thank you to
Dita
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book is crazy and NOTHING like most of what I read. I am on record as being solidly anti sci-fi but this is JP Delaney we are talking about so naturally, it is mesmerizing, compulsively readable, disturbing and fascinating.

I don't want to give too much away but this book is part cautionary tale about artificial intelligence, part domestic thriller and part heartfelt story of a family navigating the challenges of a child with autism...

...and somehow it works!!!

It's some crazy business but wh
Susanne  Strong
5 PERFECT STARS!

Oh my Goodness?! What the FRAK did I just read? Like that was Weird, Wild and Completely Crazy and I loved every second of it.

“The Perfect Wife” by J.P. Delaney is a mix of science fiction, suspense and mystery with INSANE twists and turns. Your heart will pound and it will ache. NOTHING will ever be the same again.

Some people strive for perfection daily and will do absolutely anything to achieve it. Tim is that guy. He expects its from his employees and of course, he expects i
Paromjit
JP Delaney establishes his reputation for intelligent, complex, thought provoking, beautifully written psychological thrillers with his latest offering. It is a blend of AI with its spectacular groundbreaking, cutting edge scientific breakthroughs and family drama with its sinister and creepy overtones that drive the narrative. Simultaneously, it asks some of the deepest philosophical questions, of ethics and morality, what it is to be human, and the question of what it is that comprises our ide ...more
Dita
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is crazy and NOTHING like most of what I read. I am on record as being solidly anti sci-fi but this is JP Delaney we are talking about so naturally it is mesmerizing, compulsively readable, disturbing and fascinating.

...and somehow it works!!!

It's some crazy business but who
Debra
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Well that was a thought provoking and fun ride. Nicely done!

Abbie wakes up and wonders where she is and how she got there. A man in the room says he is her husband. He also happens to be the brilliant founder of a tech company in the Silicon Valley. Abbie is not only his wife, she is an avid surfer, an artist and the mother of his child -she is the perfect wife.

When Abbie comes home memories begin to come back to her. She begins to question things. She begins to seek the answers to her questions
Liz
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
What doesn’t come across from the book’s blurb is that this is sci-fi. Abbie awakes from what she thinks has been an accident. Her husband and child are alive, so no worries, until her husband says that she’s actually a cobot, a “companion robot” -that she actually died and what she thinks of as HER memories have been uploaded into her.

Now Abbie maybe a robot, but she’s one with empathy. It was hard to remember that she wasn’t human. And the book contains the best definition of what it
Linda
Imagine all the people......(John Lennon)

But what if the people are really not the people who say they are the people?

J.P. Delaney creates a whirlwind of opposing ideas and characters marching to different drummers and hearing rhythms not privy to all. Buckle your seatbelts. The Perfect Wife is at the wheel and it's gonna be a rough, rough ride.

Abbie Cullen, talented artist and superb surfer, died under strange circumstances over five years ago. Yet, she wakes one morning groggy and trying to so
j e w e l s
TWO STARS
Sorry guys. I wanted to like this one. I tried. I did. Lots of Goodreads friends are loving this one. Out of JP Delaney’s three novels, I have only given thumbs up for one of them.

J.P. Delaney is a slick operator when it comes to injecting a cool vibe into his novels. Unfortunately for me, that cool factor comes at an expense. His characters are as flat as cardboard and I struggle to generate any feelings one way or the other about them. I was so tired of being told how “hot” and “sexy
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds,' he quotes. 'Sonnet 116, remember? We read it at our wedding. Four lines each in turn. Then the final couplet together.'

You shake your head. You don't remember that, no.

'It'll come back to you.' You wonder if he means the memory or the sentiment. 'My point is, those weren't just empty words to us. You were always unique, Abbie. Irreplaceable. A perfect wife. A perfect mother. The love of my life. Everyone says that, don't they? B
Nadia
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, thriller
Imagine that you are slowly waking up, your body hurts, you hear machines beeping around... Then you see your husband and when he sees your open eyes, relief floods his face. Were you in an accident? What happened? Your husband looks older than you remember and when you look around you realise you are not in a hospital. What is going on?? Your husband looks at you with tears in his eyes and says there's something he has to tell you. He gently takes your hand and then says these words "You are no ...more
Betsy
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8/6/19--Now available!

Don't judge a book by its cover

...or its title or blurb. Thanks to the other Goodreads reviewers who alerted me to the fact that this book isn't what it appears to be. If I didn't have any reviews to go on, I would have thought The Perfect Wife was "women's fiction" with some mystery/suspense thrown in. It's much more like speculative fiction or sci-fi than what it's advertised to be.

The cover--This image looks far too clean and perfect for a book that's ominous.

Maybe a be
Carol (Bookaria)
A captivating, mind-bending, suspenseful read. I loved it!

This is the third book I've read from the author and I feel this story gripped me with the same intensity that it creeped me out.

It explores relationships, AI, automation, marriage, data rights, consent, and more, all in a deeply interesting fictional setting.

I love speculative fiction, specially in a sci-fi setting. It's difficult to compare it other books but most likely you will enjoy it if you like TV shows like Black Mirror and Huma
Amanda
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having devoured JP Delaney’s other books “The Girl Before” and “Believe Me” like a thirsty man being offered water in a desert, I knew to get myself comfortable with a drink in the sun and enjoy!!!

I absolutely loved this book and read it practically in 1 go!! It’s so hard to do this amazing book the justice it deserves without giving too much away.

Abbie Cullen wakes up in hospital groggy wondering what has happened. Her husband Tim tells her she is the perfect wife and mother to Danny their Auti
Carolyn
When Abbie wakes up in a hospital bed after 5 years she is told she is the wife of the wealthy CEO of a robotics company, Tim Scott and they have a 10 year old autistic son. A technological breakthrough has helped bring Abbie back to life, and although she can never be the same person as she was before, she looks perfect. Abbie's memories slowly return and she remembers how she first met Tim when she became an artist in residence at his company. Although she was stunningly beautiful, fit and str ...more
Lisa
What if you could bring your wife back to life and make her the perfect wife?

SUMMARY
Abbie awakens with no memory of who she is or how she landed in this unsettling condition. The man by her side claims to be her husband. He’s the founder of one of Silicon Valley’s most innovative start-up‘s. He tells Abbie that she is a gifted artist, an avid surfer, a loving mother to their son, and the perfect wife. He says she had a terrible accident five years ago and that, through a huge technological break
Louise Wilson
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abbie awakes with no memory of who she is. The man by her side claims to be her husband. But Tim has made a mechanical replica of Abbie. Abbie had disappeared five years ago leaving behind her husband Tim and their Austin son. Tim has created the perfect wife, but is he the perfect husband?

Be prepared, once you pick this book up, you won't want to put it back down. The book explores the idea of artificial intelligence, where a person is supposed to live on after their death. This is different t
Selena
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free e-copy of The Perfect Wife by J.P. Delaney from NetGalley for my honest review.

The Perfect Wife is like no book I have read before. It is a Sci-fi Thriller.

Tim Scott, famous entrepreneur, is married to Abbie Cullen. One day she goes missing while surfing in rough waters. Five years later, Tim builds a robot re-creation of his wife (cobot Abbie). This robot can talk, and was created to have emotions and even memories. Not just any memories though, they are Abbie's memories.

Litt
Malia
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to finish this book, although it's far from boring. The concept of an AI version of a real person seems scarily realistic and provided an intriguing premise. I don't want to give anything away, and I know this book remains months from publication, but it might be my favorite by Delaney so far, even if it took me a while to get through. There were a few plot holes and I could see a few of the twists coming, but all in all, it was a really clever book and one I suspect I won ...more
Pauline
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Tim has lost his wife Abbie and five years later has a clone made using his wife's memories to make her as lifelike as possible but with a few alterations to make her the perfect wife.
The clone is finding it difficult to fit in and as more and more memories come to her she begins to look into what actually happened to Tim's wife.
This is a thriller that makes you think about the way technology is evolving.
Thank you to NetGalley and Quercus Books for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Ceecee
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure where to start with this novel other than to say I am still a bit stunned! I thought it was amazing and I would love to sit and discuss some of the issues raised with the author! I love the start with the dream of Diwali in Jaipur and then wham! You realise that it is Abbie’s dream - an empathetic Cobot (companion bot) created by her husband Tim in Silicon Valley. This is a very hot topic and so very relevant. Where real Abbie is remains a mystery for much of the book which keeps yo ...more
Faith
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abbie Scott awakens to discover that, through the wonders of science, she has been saved to return to her life with her husband Tim, a tech entrepreneur, and Danny their autistic son. Her memory has lapses and gradually Abbie begins to wonder whether her previous life had been as perfect as Tim says. I don’t want to give away too much about this book, but I was very pleasantly surprised that, instead of the plain old psychological suspense of the author’s previous books, this one has an element ...more
Jayme
"What Gates was to personal computers, Jobs was to smartphones, or Musk was to electric cars, Tim Scott was to AI (Artificial Intelligence); or would be, very soon."

So, when his "Perfect Wife", Abbie, goes missing, and has still not been found, nearly five years later, Tim does what any brilliant CEO of his own Robotics company would do...he recreates her as a "Cobot"-short for "companion robot"-designed to alleviate the loss of a "loved one".

After all, they do have their autistic son, Danny,
Gary
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J. P. Delaney is the pseudonym of a writer Tony Strong who has previously published best selling fiction under his own name. This is the 3rd book I have read by this author and found this met the previous high standards of 'Believe me' which I also thoroughly enjoyed.
The main character Abbie wakes in a hospital bed with no memory of how she got there. The man by her side explains that he's her husband. He is a titan of the tech world and the founder of one of Silicon Valley's most innovative sta
Sara
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting concept from J.P. Delaney!
If like me, you were disappointed with The Girl Before i would recommend giving this book a chance. The concepts are very different and in my opinion, this was better executed.

This story focuses on an A.I "cobot" (companion robot) who was built by a famous scientist trying to replicate his presumed dead wife.
You follow Abbie 2.0 struggle with adapting to this new form whilst trying to remember as much as she can from her old life. There is a myster
Mandy White
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
JP Delaney has another hit on his hand with The Perfect Wife. It is a very fast paced story that fits into so many different categories that I really don't know where to begin. It is clever, futuristic and makes you think about where to draw the line. I can see that this book won't be for everybody, but for me it was something completely different from the run of the mill basic storylines and I really enjoyed.

Tim Scott is a Silicon Valley multi millionaire. 5 years ago his wife Abbie disappeared
Heidi
Careful – enter at own risk. Because under this innocuous title hides a story that is just INSANE! My mind is still reeling from the roller coaster ride, and I’m not sure that my simple hippie mind really understood it all in the end.

Take my advice and go into this one blindly. The title really doesn’t do the book justice, so don’t expect a run-of-the-mill thriller here. It will blow your mind. It will challenge the way you perceive reality, and you will never look at that stranger on the bus qu
Jayme
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

After all, they do have their autistic son, Danny,
Monika Sadowski
After I started to read this psychological thriller, I was nicely surprised. It is about marriage and their problems but in the same time this novel is different than other typical thrillers. I liked Abbie a lot and I also enjoyed reading about her autistic son Danny. Definitely a one day read with twists and turns till the end.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for a free copy in exchange for an honest review

• After the End
  • Dear Wife
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • The First Mistake
  • The Dilemma
  • The Nanny
  • Someone Knows
  • Untitled
  • The Better Sister
  • The Last House Guest
  • Drungi (Hidden Iceland #2)
  • Before She Was Found
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • The Stories You Tell (Roxane Weary, #3)
  • The Arrangement
  • Growing Things and Other Stories
  • The Ways
  • Lock Every Door
J. P. Delaney is the pseudonym of a writer who has previously published best-selling fiction under another name.