Jump to ratings and reviews
When it comes to women, Hunter Keaton has rules.

Those rules ensure his life stays uncomplicated and controlled. Control is what he craves, what he needs to keep his inner demons quiet.

Private investigator by day, his life is nothing but a pit of regret, devoid of any and every emotion.

Hired to find an elusive runaway—a wild, hot-headed woman with sinfully enticing curves—Hunter’s self-control is pushed to the limit. Scarlet Woods challenges him in ways that have him wanting to break his own damn rules.

But she has secrets—secrets he’s determined to uncover. He just didn’t count on getting his own past dragged into what turns out to already be a deadly game of lies.

This is not a love story. This is not a tale of how love conquers all.

This is a story of how two people equally shattered by their pasts realize that two broken souls can’t make a whole.

329 pages, Kindle Edition

First published April 17, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Bella J.

51 books1,570 followers
Bella J is an International Bestselling Author who loves writing dark and gritty romance with alpha-holes who have absolutely no redeeming qualities...until they do. Maybe.

STALKER LINKS:

VIP CLUB (get a free read when you become a member): http://eepurl.com/gmA7Mf

AMAZON: http://amzn.to/2DPoglg

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/BellaJNovels

FACEBOOK READERS GROUP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thebr...

INSTAGRAM:

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Profile Image for Snow.
2,188 reviews631 followers
April 20, 2017
4.75 " the full circle" stars

Fuckin hell, Bella J! Fuckin hell...

This is not a love story. This is not a tale of how love conquers all.

Hunter Keaton has been struck with the most excrutiating pain from the loss of the person he loved deeply. The love of his young life that he couldn't protect. That he somehow failed.
Blue was a beautiful, refined, sofisticated woman, while he was a leather jacket wearing biker with long hair and torn jeans. Complete opposites from different sides of the tracks.

The girl who gave him everything, the girl who challenged him with her light to his dark, a girl who showed him how to "beat the odds" and the girl who died taking his remaining pieces of his shattered soul with her.

Now leaving him seven years after as a hardened man with a huge chip on his shoulder. Tormented by the past. Haunted by the blue eyes. His Blue. All he has left are the haunting memories, meaningless one night stands and a fist full of regrets.

Working as a PI, his next task leads him towards the force of nature named Scarlet Woods, a feisty fierce young woman working as a waitress in a seedy bar. There's something about her that immediately pulls Hunter in, even though she's the complete opposite of what he goes for and everything he vowed himself to stay away from. And yet he just can't do that - stay away...
Trouble. This woman had fucking trouble written all over her in black, bold letters...

just when he's about to report about his findings, Scarlet ends up surrounded by several men with the mission to bring her in and she pulls a hell of a fight.
No woman was that tough without a reason. She knew how to fight, how to push back pain in order to survive.

Something clicks in Hunter and he jumps in to help her fight of the attackers but Scarlet doesn't wait for no one and she runs from all the mess.
Maybe Scarlet was his chance at redemption, to finally atone for letting down the love of his life so many years ago, and in turn losing her. Maybe this was the universe's way of letting him find the forgiveness he was never willing to give himself.

Deterrmined to set the records straight and find the real reason why those men attacked her, Hunter finds her once again, just when she's about to flee, and in an instant they both find themselves in the same pursuit from the attackers. The path is already set before them even though they are the two most unlikely people to get along or even stay in each other's proximity, they find a way to not kill each other, while on the run.

They are like oil and water, Scarlet is a stubborn, fierce woman that dishes out the same way she gets it and she holds no prisoners. She's a fighter and she holds the reigns but inside she's hiding the real torment of the past she's running from and the man that haunts her still.
No one would break down the walls her own torment had given her the strength to build. Her life was hers to live, hers to dictate...

and yet the attraction between them is undeniable and it's blurring their stubborn ways, neither of them wants to give in. Both holding on tight for control, they will breach the barriers of each others pasts revealing the vulnerability under the masks of control.
It was raw, it was primal, and it was about to consume them both.

and the release of tension and carnal cravings wouldn't be enough, it's wild, it's rough and passionate as they will slowly realize the limits were pushed and shoved to alter the consistency of their postures...
Sex between the two of them was like war, a battle of passion and untamed desire that took complete possesion of them both.

Both of them had been hurt in the past. Both had something taken away from them. Yet here they were, two broken people who had somehow managed to break down the walls they had built.

and the breaking point for Scarlet would be giving the ultimate trust to Hunter...
Give me your control, and let me show you that you can trust me.
Let me show you how it's supposed to feel when you give your all to one person without fighting it.

and then her past comes rushing in, blocking her from letting go completely, as her fears and cruel memories of the horrid experiences takes over, Hunter will lead her through it in the most intimate and soul freeing way
Let me take it away. Let me take him away, and erase every bad thing he has ever done to you....
Let me help you heal the wounds he left behind.

as if that alone wasn't enough to give them both a little glimpse into the light of their existence, the final pieces will come together as the shattering truth is revealed leaving them stunned in gasping, just as I was left with a formed fist hitting the pillow in revolt cause of the cliffy ending.

This is the third book I have read by Bella J and what I have already stated after the first book I have read Blood & Lies , that this author writes phenomenal "tension" and "build up, angsty carnal emotions that course through you while you imagine the next sequence that would be displayed between the characters. That is something I can't just describe, you need to feel it, and I truly hope you will, cause the sensation from it is simply earth-shattering. Adding the intensity, the action, funny banter and palpable chemistry between the characters to the storyline, you get an experience of a fast paced action suspenceful drama that is Regret , clearly without any regrets per se. *wink*

PASSIONATE. ANGSTY. EMOTIONAL. SUSPENSEFUL.

but you left me with a cliffy...goddammit, i hate cliffies!!!

Looking forward to the next sequel of Shattered secrets series

***ARC generously given by the author in Exchange for and honest review***
Profile Image for Expresso.
854 reviews131 followers
April 23, 2017
I love Bella! Her dark stories are like a Snickers bar.......extremely satisfying! This story although dark, fell short for me. Where and why? Read on....

Scarlet is an alpha female. Her past and current circumstances demand her to be an alpha female. I don't mind an alpha female in a story. I don't mind an alpha female to a certain extent, that is. Hunter is the alpha hero in the story. Let me rephrase. He is the perceived alpha. I was fine with the dynamics until Scarlet began beating his ass six ways to Sunday. Totally lost me after the first beating.

Allow me to convey the storyline is total badass! Scarlet and Hunter have both experienced hell in ways only Bella can create! Their personal pain and reveals throughout the story demanded I finish this story! However, my respect for Hunter diminished greatly with each lick he received so it's hard to see him as anything but a wimp. With that I'm rating the story 3 stars.

Please consider other reviews if you're on the fence regarding purchase. The dynamics of the hero and heroine must follow certain protocols before I can engage fully and positively. My review is MY opinion of the story and shouldn't have any impact on the author or influence your experience with the story. I eagerly await Bella's next release as she is a go to author for me!

3 stars!
Profile Image for NC Reader.
391 reviews23 followers
April 18, 2017
I'm a die hard fan of reading books told from the characters POV. Regret is told in 3rd person which I find nearly impossible to connect with the characters. Scarlett is a control freak and a bit extra. Her constant need to punch and inflict pain on Hunter got on my last nerve. Hunter is supposed to be a control freak as well but came across weak to me. I was expecting a stronger more alpha type with him. The secrets between the two were never ending and stressed my ass out! Like, I was ready to bang my head on a table and scream at Scarlett to stop pussyfooting around and tell the man what he needs to know.
The ending totally shocked me and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next
Profile Image for Renee.
3,352 reviews35 followers
July 26, 2017
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Regret is the first book in Bella J's new series Shattered Secrets. It does in a cliffhanger since it is the first book. However I will say that it is so worth it to be left on the edge of your seat.

Hunter Keaton has rules when it comes to women. The rules are in place to make sure his life stays uncomplicated and controlled. He has to have control. It is the only thing that keeps his inner demons quiet. Hunter is a private investigator by day and has been hired to find an elusive runaway. Little does he know the runaway is now a wild , hot headed woman with sinful curves. Hunter finds his self control pushed to the limits when it comes to this girl....Scarlet Woods. She challenges him in ways that have him wanting to break each and every one of his rules. However Scarlet has secrets. Huge life altering secrets Hunter is determined to uncover. This is not a love story. A tale of love conquers all. This is the story of two people, equally shattered by their pasts that realize two broken souls can't make a whole.

Holy cow!!! This book is one wild secrets that will shatter souls thrill ride. I could not put this book down. Even when I was forced to put it down I couldn't stop thinking about it. Meet Hunter. He is all alpha, and carries around a shattered heart. He is determined to let now woman get close to him ever again. He has his rules. Never sleep with the same woman twice and no women with blue eyes. He sticks to these rules. He never breaks them and survives each day the best that he can. He is also a private investigator whose been hired by a man to find his long lost cousin. Here you meet Scarlet. Scarlet is by no means your damsel in distress that needs rescuing by the prince on his white horse. She is on the run and she is tough as nails. I so loved that about her but her past will absolutely shatter your heart. She and Hunter are two peas in a pod really. They just do not know it yet. The banter between these two characters keeps you one your toes and you better get ready for some butt kicking action and not just from Hunter. Scarlet can keep up with the best of them. There are so many secrets it's like pealing a onion one layer at at time. Some shocking and then there is the huge one I just knew would cause this whole story to absolutely combust and bam.....a even bigger thing happens. Do you want to know what it is?? Grab this book and dive in. I guarantee you you will not be disappointed.

I've read just about every book that Bella J has ever written. She is great with the romance. Her books are steamy as all get out but I for one love when she pushes the darker side of life. She writes with so much heart and emotion that she keeps you right on the edge through all her book. Regret is certainly a book not to be missed. I so can not wait to have the next book in my hands.
Profile Image for Isa Jones (Jo&Isalovebooks Blog).
411 reviews84 followers
May 11, 2017
OMG DID I JUST READ THAT???

Regret is one of those books that once you start reading you can't put it down, you need to get to the end and what an ending this was, I can't wait for the next story.

Hunter Keaton is a man on a mission. As a PI he takes his job very seriously and never once struggles to find his mark. The dreadful events of his past have turned him into someone who desperately needs control. He will not submit at nothing or no one and he will only be with women who like to willingly submit to his needs. There are no strings. He won't ever allow himself to feel for feelings make him weak. His latest job is driving him crazy, his mark is an elusive woman who doesn't seem to be wanted to be found and the pressure from his contractor is choking him, so he makes his move with deathly and explosive consequences.
Scarlet Woods is a woman on the run. She has lost so much and has been ripped from her innocence and from everything she once held dear. Trusting someone who she thought loved her made her an easy prey. She has left everything behind in order to escape the horror and the nightmares of what her life has become. Hurt and alone she has to create a new "persona" in order to survive.
When she first meets Hunter she believes is just another person who is trying to get a piece of her so she brushes his attempts as nothing but poor flirting, but boy when their worlds collide, the whole universe shifts.
The way I can describe the relationship between Hunter and Scar is like a rubber band; each pulls and pulls not wanting to get too close or too invested but eventually the pull gives in and they both come together in an explosive manner. Neither wants to surrender to their feelings, both are stubborn in their own right and have so many internal scars its almost like watching a train reck, you are left on the sidelines like an spectator waiting for everything to go crash, BOOM, burn, and boom it goes.

Bella knows just how to propel us into the characters world and submerges the reader into a frenzy of hatred, betrayal, passion, obsession, despair, love and anguish.
I am not patiently waiting, I am PANTING for the next instalment, and desperate for more from these magnificent characters.

5 EXTREME STARS. Jo&Isalovebooks Blog
YOU WILL REGRET NOT READING THIS BOOK NOW!!

ARC received with thanks in exchange of an honest review.
Read
March 18, 2021
Regret by Bella J
Hunter has strict rules by which he lives. His demons remind him daily of his regret. By day he is a Private investigator and by night he is devoted to his rules. He controls his life, as well as those who step into it. He takes on a case to find the sinfully, seductive, Scarlet Woods. There is something alluring about her and she spells trouble with a capital T. She is an enigma shrouded in secrecy. He is drawn to her, like a moth to a flame but this one is sure to burn him. Scarlet is on the run and she trust no one. Her instincts are on high alert and the warning bells are going off where Hunter is concerned. She will never let a man control her, but there is something about Hunter that pushes her to her limits. When their lives collide can Scarlet trust Hunter? Can Hunter protect Scarlet? What happens when your pasts are colliding? The chemistry between Hunter and Scarlet is electric, full of intensity and incredibly addictive.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for EpicRomanceReviews.
728 reviews123 followers
April 26, 2017
4.5 POWDER KEG stars!!

"You’re a broken soul, Scar. Just. Like. Me.”

Holy Intensity!!!!!!! REGRET by Bella J., a blazing inferno of red hot passion and gut-wrenching pathos, soul shattering torment and mind-numbing regret, was on fire!!!

Hotshot private investigator Hunter Keaton has been hired to track down Scarlet Woods who has been MIA for years, and when he finally makes his move and pounces on the sultry bartender at the Twisted Fable strip club, both of their worlds literally implode!

"The nose studded wild chick with blood red streaks in her dark hair who stood in front of him was far from the prim and proper, innocent-looking young girl in the picture he had. In the photo, she looked like no trouble at all. In person, she looked like one sh*t bucket full of trouble, and for some unknown reason he liked it."

Hunter, a man on the brink who is tormented by a tragic past, avoids complications like the Plague and has two hard and fast rules... He never beds a women with blue eyes and never, ever screws a woman twice!! Although Scarlet wasn’t his type—he prefers his women tame, obedient, and submissive--this snarky, disagreeable thorn in his side challenges and irks him at every turn, and has him itching to spank her delectable ass and silence her saucy mouth with his hot, dominating kisses to show her who is REALLY the boss.

"Everything about this woman just screamed sex—hot, heady, raw sex—exactly how Hunter liked to dish it out."

His plans of hand delivering this gorgeous spitfire in a shiny red bow to his client, Brent Wolfe, derails when armed gunmen ambush them, leaving Hunter with more questions than answers. "Why was she running? Why was she hiding? And why was this guy willing to pay a small fortune to find her?” To his consternation, Scarlet, a women he can't get to shut up, is decidedly tight-lipped about her checkered past, but nevertheless he recognizes something hauntingly familiar in her ice blue gaze that brings his own demons to the fore.

For his own self-preservation, he tries to keep his emotional distance, but for some inexplicable reason, she arouses his every protective, possessive instinct. And as danger swoops in, they find themselves on the run for their lives...battling dangerous foes and engaging in a ferocious battle of wills as they struggle against traitorous desires and secret, dormant sorrows that are entrenched deep in their splintered souls. Slowly but surely, the walls around both their hearts are slowly breaking down brick by brick, but is there any hope of two broken people beating the odds and making each other whole?

Wowza! I became an instant fangirl of the marvelously talented Bella J. after I devoured her dark mafia romance, BLOOD & LIES, and while this plotline is not as gritty as that aforementioned book, it is nevertheless a highly addictive read that consumes you from start to finish.

To say Hunter and Scar have explosive chemistry is PUTTING IT MILDLY! Each scene they are in together is a PULSATING with raw, raging lust, THROBBING with blistering emotion, and BLEEDING with soul shattering heartache!! The power struggle between this fiery couple as they wrestle for control in the bedroom -and trudge through the treacherous minefield of love-- is equal parts enthralling and exquisitely torturous!

"Sex between the two of them was like war, a battle of passion and untamed desire that took complete possession of them both."

Swoooon!!! Hunter Keaton is a hunka burning book boyfriend of E.P.I.C. proportions. With long blond hair, penetrating green eyes and six feet, seven inches of pure steel and muscle, this alpha protector is the DEFINITION of what every damsel in distress wants as their bodyguard!

"This man had a swagger, the confidence that could melt the panties off any woman—lucky for her she wasn’t just any woman. But there was something about the way he looked at her, how he talked, how he moved. He seemed so calm, but there was a wild, untamed look in his eyes and with every step he took, he exuded a kind of feral power that seemed so much stronger than her iron will."

But regardless of how INSANELY attracted she is to his potent animal magnetism, Scarlet is NO weak, simpering female, depends on NO ONE but herself, and insists she does not need saving...especially by a Neanderthal “gorilla-man" like “Ace!!” Of course whether she wants to admit it or not she needs to trust Hunter to watch her back, even if he has to toss this ornery women over his shoulder—caveman style!-- to convince her! But beneath all that fierce bravado and flippant attitude, he sees glimpses of the delicate, soft and terrified woman who is as emotionally shattered as he is.

"He could see her vulnerability behind all those layers of hard-ass steel and smart-mouth comebacks. There was much more to this woman than what she was allowing everyone to see. It was like he could feel her, sense her fear and her need to be free."

Although I loved Hunter from the start-- he was one hot, dominant Alpha male with a tortured, broken soul…a win-win in my book--TBH, I did not exactly have insta-love for the heroine! Scarlet is a fireball of anger and venom, pain and torment, and it took me a while to warm to her. But this beautifully brazen vixen eventually burrowed herself into my heart, and once the true extent of her damaged psyched was stripped bare, I ached for the girl whose innocence was lost and championed the woman who fought tooth and nail to survive AGAINST ALL ODDS!

Bottom Line? REGRET is an adrenaline-pumping, action-packed romance chock full of tempestuous passion and COMBUSTIBLE feels. This brilliantly twisty plot has palpable tension throughout--truly not a dull moment!--and my jaw is still on the floor from that WTF cliffy ending! All I can say is that I shall be on pins and needles awaiting the epic conclusion TORMENT!!
Profile Image for Sara Reece.
108 reviews14 followers
April 25, 2017
If you want grit, raw emotion, intence, dark read then look no further this is your next baby!! I mean omfg this had my heart gripped, every page had had me wanting more, wishing more.... wanting a happy ending.......#cliffhanger .....

Keaton has a past, one with hurt and regreats so he needs control in he's life to keep the demands at bay. Well he was not exspecting Scarlet (who has her own broken soul) come into he's life and through everything out of control! Who will he live like with Scarlet testing he's limits? Can they fix each other? or will they break each other completly?

This is a story that will keep you wanting more. Beautiful broken people... I love this story
Profile Image for Melissa J (Book Addicts Reviews).
1,001 reviews77 followers
May 21, 2017
5 hot as hell stars!!! I. Can. Not. Even.!!!

This is the first book of the "Shattered Secrets" series. This book went straight to my favorites list!!!

Hunter and Scarlett's story is one of pain, regret, control and torment. This isn't your sweet lovey dovey romance story, this is two broken souls colliding. These two only have pieces of their former selves, how can you ever give someone a part of you when there is no part to give?!?!

"Those blue eyes were his hope, his heaven...his fucking magic in a world filled with nothing but greed, loss and pain."

Hunter has two rules 1)never sleep with the same girl twice 2)NO blue eyes. He faces his demons every day but those two rules are non negotiable. He is sent to find this girl and even tho it was not easy Hunter is good at his job. Little did he know there was something about her he couldn't walk away from...

"You are mine, Little Red. No matter what you do, who you're with, I'm the one who took your innocence from you. That part of you will always belong to me."

Scarlett is always looking over her shoulder from the past that she just can't seem to get away from. And then one day over her shoulder is one big sexy beast of a man. Except this fucker is everything she doesn't want in a man. She wants control and he screams control. She is not your average "yes sir" kind of girl. But now she can't seem to shake this guy, will she learn to let go or will she break this man?!?!

OMFG I love this book. I was in a little book slump and then this book came out of nowhere. I mean I didn't really read the blurb before hand and I was so surprised!! Hunter is my fucking fantasy!!! Yummy!! Yes Scarlett is a little much at times but lets be real home girl has been through hell and back. This was perfect for those of us who love a sexy alpha with a fucked up view and a broken soul. I mean we want to fix that man!! The sex was so freakin hot I was dying over here. The sexual tension for the first half of the book was giving me blue balls, such a damn tease. But it led up to one hell of a good time. And then the last few chapters I was floored. Now I am all types of frustrated because I need the next book right NOW!!!

This book was extremely easy to read and keep up with. The characters were on point and I appreciated the back and forth views of their former lives. This was just an extremely well rounded hot and sexy book!! MUST READ!!

**I received this book as an ARC and in return gave my honest review **
Profile Image for Sassy Southern Book Blog.
3,638 reviews215 followers
April 25, 2017
Stop what you're doing immediately and add this to your TBR list. Regret is hands down a top read of 2017. Regret is the absolute perfect mix of comedy, action, angst, and smut rolled into one book.
Scarlet Woods is hiding from something-so much is evident to Hunter Keaton, a successful PI hired to track and find her. When he realizes what she's running from can put her into some serious danger, he vows to protect her at all costs. Along the way we learn about both Hunter and Scarlet's demons-and just how closely related they really are. When these two broken souls come together it's not only steaming hot-it's a bundle of hilarity at the opposite personalities of the two characters. We're buckled in for the ride of a lifetime with the two as they're on the run from Scarlet and Hunter's past. While fighting the attraction for one another, we are left at the edge of our seats by not only the chemistry between the two-but also from all the action going on in this book. Fight scenes, escaping buildings, and fast motorcycle rides-this book has it all!
Be warned, this book is a cliffhanger-and quite possibly the best to ever grace my kindle. You don't want to miss this book! - Victoria
Profile Image for A.J. Norris.
Author 31 books682 followers
4 1/2 STARS!!!
Bella J brings the heat! I enjoyed this book very much and binge read it, which I normally don't do. There were a couple of places in the book where I went, "Holy crap!" but in the best way. ;) There's other good things I want to say about this book but I don't want to spoil it for other potential readers. So I leave the author with this one question instead: When does the next book come out? More please...
Profile Image for Jamie.
125 reviews1 follower
April 24, 2017
Regret
Shattered Secrets #1
By: Bella J

5 Stars

I’m Jamie and a lover of books, mainly dark romances, with lots of suspense and a dominate alpha male, too. (who doesn’t?!) Oh, and I don’t do wimpy chicks.

This is my first book by Bella J.Once I read the synopsis, I was done. I knew I had to read it. It definitely was everything it promised. HOLY CLIFFHANGER HELL!

Scarlet Wood is a snarky bartender working at Twisted Fable, a strip club. She’s tougher than most men because she has had to be. Constantly looking over her shoulder. Scarlet is running from someone or something in her past, but it will soon catch up with her. She has done a good job eluding it or him until now, or until Hunter.

Hunter Keaton is a tormented man, haunted by his past and those blue eyes. Eyes that follow him everywhere. Her eyes. Blue. His life is pretty simple he works and enjoys the company of women, but he has rules. Two of them, never sleep with a woman twice and NO blue eyes. That is until Scarlet.

He knows she is trouble, but he can’t stay away. He needs control and Scarlet is definitely not the girl to give it to him. Can they survive this and each other? The sexual tension between Scarlet and Hunter is undeniable and magnetic. Super hot! I was completely captured from the first page. Bella J weaved an intense story of pain, suffering, and love found in the most unusual ways. This book is full of emotions, I laughed at Scarlet’s shenanigans and sassy mouth. I cried with both of them when life seemed to be too much. This book had it all, love, death, angst, and so much more. I can’t wait for the second one.
Profile Image for Carla.
989 reviews3 followers
May 21, 2017
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

**Carla's Five Star Review

"Hey there Little Red Riding Hood, You sure are looking good
Your're everything a big bad wolf could want, Listen to me"....I know this won't make sense right now, but once you start reading the book, you won't be able to get that tune out of your head.

What an awesome read! It is the story of Little Red Riding Hood on crack! Hunter and Scarlet both have dark pasts. One is being haunted by the past, and the other is being hunted.

Hunter Keaton is a private investigator who has been hired to find Scarlet Woods. He fully intends to hand her over to his client, Wolfe, but his gut along with the haunted look in Scarlet's eyes, lead him to change his mind. For reasons he can't explain, he has an innate desire to help the snarky and obstinate woman. When danger shows up and the sh*t hits the fan, these two find themselves in a fight for survival. As if that's not enough to deal with, Hunter and Scarlet feel an intense connection to one another, and the chemistry between them is palpable. Slowly but surely, these two begin to trust one another. Is it possible for two broken people to come together and make each other whole again?

Wow! The only thing I "Regret" about this book is the fact it came to an end! I will warn you-it does end in a cliffhanger, but the good news is the next book, Torment, is due to be released soon! If you haven't read this book, hurry up and one click it now, so you will be ready! I know I can't wait to see how this story plays out!!
Profile Image for Sarah Nickles.
126 reviews3 followers
April 30, 2017
This is my first read by Bella J and I can't wait to dive into more.

Scarlet is a bartender who works at her local strip club. She doesn't stay in one place too long, staying off the radar and avoiding all things from her past. She is strong willed and hard headed.

Hunter is a private investigator haunted by the blue eyes of his past. He has 2 rules and he follows them well until he is hired to find Scarlet. Finding Scarlet was supposed to be just like any other assignment he has taken but the longer it takes to find her the more something doesn't feel right.

What Hunter brings to Scarlets from door has both their lives flipped upside down.

The cliffhanger ending has me on edge and counting down for more Scarlett amd Hunter.
Profile Image for Fran Zoch, LSoR.
2,031 reviews12 followers
April 25, 2017
Holy crap!!! Ok first off yes this is just the first part of this book so cliffhanger.

Hunter and Scarlett have a past neither one knows about and it all hell breaks loose in this book.

I do not ever read cliffhangers but I can not wait for the next one because this one is a page Turner, and it also kept me sitting on the edge of my seat wanting to know more.

I am officially addicted to Hunter and Scarlett
Profile Image for Chasidy.
698 reviews19 followers
June 7, 2017
Wow….Let me start by saying this isn't your typical love story, but I could not put this book down!!
Hunter and Scarlet are two tortured souls. Bella J had a way of making me lose myself in the book. There is so much emotion in the story. I loved the characters and the storyline. She kept me wanting more. It does end in a cliffhanger, but it leaves you wanting so much more. I can't wait to see what's next!! This is a definite read!

Profile Image for Angela.
80 reviews
June 2, 2017
I feel slow that it took me the whole book to figure out that twist
April 24, 2017
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

After reading every one of Bella J's currently published books, I can tell you that she always weaves an intoxicating spell with her words. Whether it is a forbidden love that was never meant to happen in Resplendent Ruin, or a stripper missing a stiletto heel in Stiletto Secrets, Bella J keeps you riveted and often times leaves you wrapped in varying shades of desire and left wanting. The same could be said about Hunter and Scarlet and their decadent, rip your clothes off, break the furniture in the heat of the moment passion. Regret is about two tragic pasts, a heart breaking present, and damaged souls.

After meeting Hunter Keaton in Stiletto Secrets, I was intrigued and enamored with his mysterious, cocky, gorgeous self and couldn't wait to see the heart that is underneath all that hard muscle and smoldering looks. Little did I know that Bella was going to lay such soul shattering grief on her readers when she opened Hunter's thoughts and heart to us. It wasn't long when Bella had me tear choked with a heavy heart from Hunter's past and yet overheated from the palpable sexual tension between him and Scarlett and along for the ride of lust that tears through them.

Scarlett Woods thrilled the hell out of me with all of that sass that could barely fit inside her tight and toned little powerhouse of a body. She packed quite a punch to both the reader's hearts and Hunter's libido from the moment we first see her slinging drinks in the Twisted Fable. Scarlett took us on an adrenaline pumping ride on the back of her motor bike with many twists and turns through her sick and twisted path starting at her teenage years with a boogey man that still haunts her nightmares now. If you weren't afraid of the big bad Wolfe before, get ready because you will be now!

Bella J delivers a heart pounding, panty melting beginning to the Shattered Secrets series that will have you holding your breath in suspense, zig zagging through the past back into the present, and handcuffed to Hunter's bed a time or two. I highly recommend Regret for a read that will leave you clamoring for more twisted fairy tales, sweaty sheets, and shattered secrets. Bella J's writing is dark, genius, and addicting!
Profile Image for Blue.
861 reviews78 followers
August 8, 2017

Scarlet is on the run playing a dangerous cat and mouse game... a game she knows that will not end until either he dies or her. Hunter has been tracking Scarlet but when he comes to realise that this is not the usual P.I gig he originally thought, he decides to help Scarlet out instead.

This was honestly such a boring and disappointing read. For the life of me I cannot understand why I thought the story would get any better or exciting UGHHHH. These two on the run and all the sexual tension oh how can they resist rahrahrah don't really care man get to the bloody action already. Story was not my cup of tea. To top it off I don't get why we needed all the snippets of Hunter's past with his deceased lover. One or two was enough with the added mention in passing of the hurt/grief that still clung to him and understood, I get that there's more to Hunter. It's hard to root for two characters when there's flashbacks to Hunter being all loveydovey and getting it on with his ol' gal.

Will I be continuing on with the sequel?

Much ragrets.
652 reviews3 followers
April 23, 2017
4.5 broken souls stars!!!!! WOWWW!!!!!! Bella J has absolutely blown my freaking mind into smithereens with REGRET!!!!! I just finished and I have goosebumps all over!!!! And I am REELING over that doozy of a cliffhanger!!!!!!

I initially had a love-hate relationship with both Hunter and Scarlet!! I got so frustrated with the constant push and pull between them, but then as the story is revealed through a series of flashbacks and memories, I began to understand why they acted the way they did. They both had such heartbreaking and horrific pasts that their coping mechanism was to have total control over their lives. And all that animosity between them combusted into some VERY HOT, raw chemistry between the sheets!!!

Bella J's highly addictive narrative had me hanging off every word trying to piece together the pasts of both Hunter and Scarlet!!! Her writing is phenomenal and packs a punch every.single.time!!! The plot was suspenseful, unpredictable and fast paced, and I can't wait for the next book!!!
Profile Image for Vickie.
1,630 reviews63 followers
May 4, 2017

Private investigator Hunter is always in control, he thrives on it. Ever since losing a loved one years ago, Hunter has been living an uncomplicated but controlled life. He's got a chip on his shoulder, tormented by his memories and regrets, and that is one of the reasons he keeps women at a distance. When he takes on a job that leads him to Scarlet he's not expecting the feisty, young woman that soon has him breaking the two rules he's always lived by.

The chemistry between Scarlet and Hunter is off the charts. The constant push/pull, the bantering, the sparks that are flying between them had me desperate for them to get it on (I'm not gonna lie. The build up had me fanning myself). Lots of action from the start, this is quite a fast paced book and that ending!!! Bring on the next book, I'm ready and waiting!
Profile Image for Deb Carroll.
214 reviews29 followers
April 27, 2017
WOW!!

Every story I read from this author grips me and pulls me in. With this one you feel the fear, determination and struggle rolling off both Hunter & Scarlet. They are 2 halves of a whole on a collision course that will change both them. I was to give Scarlet a good slap upside the back of her head at point but her snark is a coping mechanism. I can't wait till book 2!
My only complaint....If I heard the word Ace one more time I was going to be sick. It was way to much!
Profile Image for Tammy.
185 reviews2 followers
Regret by Bella J
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This book is best summed up by Bella J's own blip:
This is not a love story. This is not a tale of how love conquers all.
This is a story of how 2 people equally shattered by their pasts realize that 2 broken souls can't make a whole.
Holy cliffhangers!
Can't wait for the next book.
Read an ARC for honest review.
September 4, 2017
I ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY LOVED THIS ONE. WOW!!!!!! Really it's like this story has shattered my mind and really I'm like WHAT A RIDE. The book starts with mega hot PI Hunter Keaton and how he has to find the Scarlet Woods for a Client. What he thought was a simple job turns out to be something else altogether. The story is definitely Soul Shattering and So Intense, Like will hook its Claws deep into your skin. But what I LOVED THE MOST is the way the author has written the story. With each beautifully crafted sentence, each word makes you feel the pain so deeply that both Hunter and Scarlet are going through. Also it was definitely hilarious too as Scarlet is the tough one that Hunter has never experienced before. A feisty brand so dangerous that she makes him live hell. But YOU JUST HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK TO HAVE THE FEELS. I Still can't get over what an amazing book I just read. DEFINITELY MORE THAN 10 STARS. 💖
323 reviews1 follower
September 4, 2021
Enjoyed Hunter and Scarlet.

I enjoyed Hunter and Scarlet is story enough, but this book suffers from one of my pet peeves. I wish authors would write books that take place in their home area instead of trying to make it make sense in the US. This one is not as bad as some, but there are still some phrases and terms that are not commonly used in the US. My biggest issue though is the reference of the beach house on the ocean. For the amount of time they spent on the road, there is no way they made it to an ocean from Chicago and with the cage fighting it seems they are still near home, so that means that the beach house is actually probably on Lake Michigan, not the ocean. I probably shouldn't let these kind of things irritate me so much, when the actual story line and characters are well developed, but I can't help it. Its a good read if you can tolerate those types of issues.
Profile Image for Abigail Davies.
Author 60 books1,301 followers
May 14, 2017
I want to start by saying that Bella is one of my favourite authors. I LOVE her books so when I saw this one, I knew that I HAD to read it.

First I want to say that I really struggle to read in third person. I feel like I get told many things but not shown them. But that's my personal preference.

I also felt that this book wasn't a normal Bella J book. I felt like it wasn't completely her style, but that could have been because of third person too.

I do love the story line, but there's parts where I felt like both characters came across as immature. I also felt like I knew what was coming, which I hate in books BUT it could have been a lucky guess.

I fully recommend this book, but I will say, I LOVE Bella's other books way more! I'll definitely be reading the second book that follows on from this!

A copy of this book was provided in exchange for an honest review.
107 reviews
September 15, 2021
Ehh..

This is a very dark story with all the tragic events that happen to the female lead. She pushes people away with foul language and having to be in control when she chooses to have sex. All that aside, I felt like there was a bit too much of the back and forth between Hunter and Scarlett before she finally let down her walls a bit to trust him. The story leads up to the main characters finding out they're connected through Scarlett's sister. It felt like the storyline was dragging because the author was trying to draw out the suspense and create a climactic moment in the plot when it was unnecessary. It wasn't the worst story I've read, but for me, it was lacking in substance and trying too hard to be mysterious and suspenseful. To be honest, Scarlett's attitude was annoying. I understand the why, but still annoying.
Profile Image for Teresa Doherty.
121 reviews
January 10, 2019
OMG, stick the knife in and keep twisting it, dark, dark romance, with a side of dirty suspense running through it, just how I like it. Scarlet, always careful, no strings only one night stands, the sort of thing that keeps you under the radar when a psycho is after you. PI Hunter has Scarlet in his sights, he took this job when her cousin reached out to him to bring her home, that is until she gets attacked by men following him, so the guy doesn't trust him. Hunter decides to get her story which is not easy and when more people come after them it's time to disappear and get answers, explosive back story in this.

Displaying 1 - 30 of 62 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.