Start by marking “Hot Flush” as Want to Read:
Hot Flush

Hot Flush

SUPERPOWERS SHOULD NOT BE WASTED ON THE YOUNG

Euphemia Sage watched helplessly as Jane, covered in blood, clutched her precious jewelry and was bundled into the Mercedes. Just a few days earlier she’d discovered that Alison, her mousy receptionist at Sage Consulting, had been working as a loan shark on the side. And now Alison, her husband and those thick-necked men in
Published May 8th 2017 by Wonderful World

To ask other readers questions about Hot Flush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Flush

Start your review of Hot Flush
Rina
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, comical, fast paced read. I truly enjoyed the main character's journey into discovering her super powers. This is one of those stories that leaves you wondering if the super hero should even bother rescuing her friend, but then when her dog is kidnapped, the situation becomes more urgent. The little dog was a real charmer in this story.
Neil
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
An accomplished debut from New Zealand writer Rosy Fenwicke. Witty and well-written, this is a fast and entertaining tale told with a deft touch, by turns amusing and exciting. I’m not the target audience but this was a lot of fun, and I hope we’ll see more of Euphemia Sage and Petal in further adventures soon.
Gaele
With a menopausal heroine in Euphemia Sage realizes that her receptionist was moonlighting as a loan shark, and her friend is behind on her payments, she’s certain that something must change, and she will be th one to make it. Two decades back, she had received a letter that predicted her developing super powers once she hit menopause, and now, surprise, surprise, that prediction has come to pass. So off she goes to find just what she is capable of, and all under the auspices of helping her frie ...more
Lisa Morin
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Once in a while I like to read a book that is outside my genre. Hot Flush is a fast paced story that has a cast of strong, likeable characters and a good story line.
I was engaged from the beginning and was entertained until the end.

I volunteered to read and review an ARC of this book provided by the publisher and NetGalley.
Kiwiflora
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Along with death and taxes, menopause is a guarantee in life if you are female. Although many women would also agree that men go through a manopause, but that is an entirely different subject all together. So really this is a book that has the potential to be a compulsory read for every woman. And so it should be!!! Not because of the big M and the many negatives that word and state of being evoke, but because it is a delightful, funny, slightly silly, uplifting, and very absorbing novel. The co ...more
Judy
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a good read. Funny with engaging characters. I'm really looking forward to reading the next one.
Melanie Callahan
Fun!

Nice cozy. A little macabre and gory and the pug needed more mention, but really, not too bad. Okay then.
Tony Parsons
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aunt Maree (engineer, construction co. CEO) was at the top of her game when she died.
Australia. Euphemia Sage (narrator, wife/mother) now knew what it was like to go through menopause.
Euphemia Sage (53, nee Marchamp) & Kenneth Sage (husband/father) owned/ran Sage Consulting.
Flashback, Coldsham, England. Fredericka Theodora Marchamp (49, mother) was drowned in Coldsham village pond.

A murder investigation had been opened.
Dr. Martin Shaker & Ms. Shaker who lived cl
Felicity Price
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
What’s not to like about a woman of a certain age who gains super-powers from the moment she has her first hot flush? Especially when her life takes off in a series of unexpected twists and turns requiring those super-powers to be harnessed in ever-increasing quantities? And because the super-powers start out low key – better vision, better hearing, more stamina to extend her daily runs – we go along with what becomes a real rollercoaster ride, making it hard to put this book down.
Euphemia
Barb Fischer
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
This was such a fun read!

I was attracted to the book for two reasons: first it was about a woman whose arrival into menopause triggers special powers (this is my age demographic!) and there was a pug on the cover (have I mentioned my obsession with Doug the Pug?) Other than those two things, I didn’t know much about this book.

In a nutshell, this book is about Euphemia Sage. She is a 53 year old wife and mother. As soon as she gets her first hot flash of menopause, her spe
L.S.
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
If ever there was a story that I never expected to read, then it was this. But I'm so glad I did, not just because it was so original, but because it was funny, well-paced and totally unpredictable.
Euphemia Sage (what a cool name) runs a successful business with her husband and has a happy family life, good friends and a solid outlook on life. However, a family secret still lurks in the background and Euphemia has doubts about its validity - I mean, whoever heard of anybody getting super p
Karen
Comedic crime fiction has to be one of the hardest sub-genre's to pull off. Comedy is so subjective, and crime fiction often tackles tricky subject matter. Add to that a hefty supernatural component and HOT FLUSH is a book that's appealing to a specific sub-set of readers.

The central character here is the main voice, Euphemia Sage. She's a menopausal woman whose first hot-flush triggers a genetic switch that gives her supernatural powers. So the idea is that she gets super hearing ab
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one is a keeper. I couldn't put it down. Gives a whole new meaning to menopause! Euphemia
is descended from a long line of witches that get their powers when they hit menopause. She is roped into the problems of a old acquaintance from school who has gotten caught up with loan sharks while trying to keep her family in money and prestige. Things go wrong and are funny but scary at the same time. Cops , husbands and bad guys all mixed in to make this a interesting read. Oh and don't forg
Rhonda
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful surprise! The premise of 53 year old Euphemia becoming a superhero one at menopause was genius. The story twisted and turned and held my attention till the very last page. I literally could not put this book down reading it in one sitting till the late hours of the night.
I loved her family there were some interesting dynamics. I see this as a start of a promising new series. Rosy Fenwicke thank you for a wonderful read I hope you are working on book 2 right now! ...more
Judith Hantl
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from goodreads giveaways.
After reading the synopsis of this book, I had reservations as to if this was the kind of story that I would enjoy reading. I was pleasantly surprised.
Hot Flush is a superhero story for adults. It is about a genetic glitch in a familial line of women that causes them to develop superpowers with the arrival of menopause. The story was easy to read, and
interesting enough for me to read it in one sitting.
The plot was convoluted e
Susan F
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, women, kindle
This is very well written. The story moves smoothly and the mystery is detailed. This could certainly be the start to an entertaining series with some solid characters already established. I love that the main character, Euphemia, has a special change as menopause filters it's way into her life. It's quite comical to me.
It took me awhile to realize that this takes place in new Zealand and that is interesting to me too.

More later

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this book. ...more
Patricia
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I absolutely loved this book. Who of us, that is, women of a certain age, would not love to develop super powers with menopause, other than being able to start sweating at the drop of a hat. The characters were engaging, the story captivating, and it kept me reading to find out what was going to happen next. I am looking forward to the next book.
I received this free from NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review.
Donna Crabbe
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, not often do you come across a book , which had New Zealand streets in, I was like reading away and I had to reread the page to connect with the places streets, I was upset when the thugs hurt the Pug dog I was like why would hurt a dog, I was like ok Jean was a total idiot, I loved the way it finally came out and the bad got sorted. I was like in real life THIS HAPPENS, So 5 stars. well written
Laurie Beemer
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wasn't really sure about this book after reading the excerpt but it was surprisingly cute and different. The author did a great job turning something that ends a journey in a woman's life into something unique and life affirming. The main character realizes that strength comes in several different forms, and true love is the most important thing of all. Thank you NetGalley and Rosy Fenwicke for allowing me to read this book and write a honest review.
Michele Brownlee
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a woman "of a certain age"' I loved this book.
Original, off beat, humorous and quite unpredictable, in a good way.
The female characters are strong and believable......yes, I'm waiting for my superpowers to show themselves :)
I read this from cover to cover in one sitting and am eagerly awaiting Euphemia's next adventures.
A great first novel. Highly recommend this.
Marian
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine and readable story.

I loved the premise (because I'm a woman of a certain age and super powers sound like a fine tradeoff). I liked that the main character and her daughters were competent, rational people.
Emma Dresser
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun book to read. I wish I’d been granted super powers so the menopause, I could imagine this so much as a very funny sitcom/drama. Loved it, cleverly written with great characters. Thanks gif the opportunity to read and review.
Donna Bresnak
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i received this book for free from goodreads giveaway. IWhat an enjoyable and unpredictable story. loved the characters and the twists in the plot. very fun.
Felicity Cuzens
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

An excellent read with wonderful characters. Couldn’t put it down. Book one so where is the next instalment please. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Donna Bresnak
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i received this boso much fun, i recommend it.ok for free from goodreads giveaway. it was a fast read and had many twists in the plot. it was
Lynn
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Such a good read, especially for women of a certain age , so funny in places , and a good all round story, thank you to netgalley for a copy of this book
Avalon
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful mystery

Set in Wellington, characters spring to life and it's a busy novel but enjoyable. It will have readers guessing most of the way through the book. Recommend
Chrystal
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways

Goodreads giveaway.
I couldn’t put it down! I really didn’t care for the story but I just had to keep reading it!
Katra
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finally, something I can hope for, the superpowers of menopause! Wow, that sounds really stupid, but this book is anything but. I loved the originality and countless twists and turns in this hilarious, yet suspenseful novel. Highly recommended for my friends "of a certain age" and the youngsters who still have a long way to go.
Witterquick
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea in the book that was overall successful. Easy read.

• Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • The Body Lies
  • The Autoimmune Protocol Meal Prep Cookbook: Weekly Meal Plans and Nourishing Recipes That Make Eating Healthy Quick & Easy
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • New Corpse In Town (Secret Seal Isle Mysteries, #1)
  • A Single Thread
  • Eight Lives
  • Seeking Slow: Reclaim Moments of Calm in Your Day
  • The Stone Crusher: The True Story of a Father and Son's Fight for Survival in Auschwitz
  • Heartbreak Hotel (Buffy, #2)
  • The Rules of Backyard Cricket
  • Tears Of The Maasai
  • The Paris Diversion (Kate Moore, #2)
  • The Silent House