Start by marking “Spire” as Want to Read:
Spire

Spire

A container of viruses - mutated and cryogenically frozen - is brought under heavy guard to SPIRE, a remote research station in Antarctica. Within days, people are dying of diseases that haven't been seen since the middle ages.

Surgeon and virologist, Dr Caroline Burchell, struggles to contain the outbreak as a vicious polar storm lashes the base. The weather prevents any h
Kindle Edition
Published March 25th 2017 by Clockwork Books (first published March 23rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Spire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spire

Start your review of Spire
Melissa Delport
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tsbc-authors
Literally read this book in one sitting. Fast-paced and adrenaline-inducing, I was blown away by the depth of this book, and how much research must have gone into writing it. According to the cover, this is the second book in a trilogy, but I read it as a stand alone and it didn't come across as a sequel in any way, so if you haven't read the first, don't let that out you off. What does put me off is this strange GR cover version - the real book is so pretty, I'm not sure why the cover hasn't be ...more
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Spire by Fiona Snyckers is a recommended thriller set in Antarctica.

Dr. Caroline Burchell is a surgeon and virologist who has been chosen to join the team of SPIRE and spend the winter in Antarctica doing research. SPIRE stands for the South Pole International Research Establishment. Caroline has brought vials of cryogenically frozen viruses that she plans to study over the 8-9 months she will be there. Before she can even begin her research though, the whole team there is coming down with a wid
 Reading Reindeer
Review of THE SPIRE by Fiona Snyckers

THE SPIRE is a fascinating novel about one of my favourite topics, Antarctica, and about terrifying eco-terrorism. Terrifying from the point of view of the human race, this extremist form targets the human species in toto. Dr. Caroline Burchell is a surgeon and virologist accepted for winterover in Antarctica at the South Pole Research Station. She intends to study certain dangerous viruses in extreme cold. What she couldn't expect is an outbreak, not involvi
Margot Doherty
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read and loved Now Following You, Fiona Snyckers' young-adult/adult crossover novel about a social media maven whose addiction gets her into trouble. Next, I obviously followed Fiona on Twitter. As you would, having just finished a novel about online stalking. When she started serialising Spire, releasing a chapter a day, I thought, ok, this could be fun. I've never read a Twitter novel before. Probably won't be that good, it's an experiment after all.
Wrong.
It is that good.
I harassed Fiona (
Dave
Jul 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Review originally published at Book of Bogan.

SPIRE by Fiona Snyckers is without a doubt the worst book I have read this year. I hear Homer Simpson in the back of my head saying “so far” but I think this one has the legs to take on any contenders.

The main character, Dr Caroline Mary-Sue, is a surgeon/virologist/genius who goes to Antarctica to work at the ridiculously named South Pole International Research Establishment. She is separated from her know-it-all daughter and her co-habitant male co
Janice
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Imagine being in one of the most remote places on the planet … alone … but inexplicably, not alone, which is somehow worse! That’s what Fiona Snyckers presents us with in SPIRE, set in the South Pole International Research Establishment.
Dr Caroline Burchell has been selected as part of a team to ‘Winter over’ at the base. They’re there for the full season until September, which is when the next planes arrive to relieve them of their duties. She’s brought with her a container of mutated viruses w
Susanna Parker
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, net-galley
Dr. Caroline Burchell is on the assignment of a lifetime. A talented surgeon and virologist, Caroline has been accepted as a “winter-over” scientist in SPIRE, a remote research station in Antarctica. Her subject of research – a container of cryogenically frozen viruses – has been brought to Antarctica under heavy guard, and is kept under highly secure lock and key. Which doesn’t explain why her fellow researchers and residents are coming down with the bubonic plague, ebola, and SARS…

As the Antar
Irene
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SPIRE by Fiona Snyckers. I've been trying to find the words to do justice to describing the book. I can't seem to get past WOW and amazing. I could not put the book down until it was finished. Loved Caroline and Charka and the whole story line. Highly recommended.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
Peter
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
The Spire has many elements that make for a good vacation book for me. I enjoyed the setting (Antartica) and the resourcefulness of the main character. Fiona did a great job of adding enough technical details to increase the validity of the story without any drag on the plot - nicely researched. I would definitely read more by this author.
Amber Mahony
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is officially my favourite of Fiona's 5 novels. It is a riveting, entertaining and interesting read.
Erin
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Plot moved along nicely. Engaging characters.
Rosemary Finch
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-on-kindle
An excellent read! Wonderfully researched, interesting and gripping. I'm enjoying this author.
Frieda
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tsbc-authors
As someone who house sits on her own quite regularly I can quite well imagine the feelings Caroline experienced. Although I could always go out...
Ray Hartley
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping thriller which seems to unfold at an impossible pace. Loved it and so did my 13-year-old who read it in two days.
nicolivier
Jan 31, 2018
Joyce
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 and 1 / 2 stars

Dr. Caroline Burchell and her nurse Kelebile Chuma have a major crisis on their hands. Wintering over in the Antarctic they have an outbreak of serious and deadly diseases that have not been seen for centuries. People start dying. Caroline sends out a message to the rest of the base for volunteers to help in sick bay. No one answers. She does a quick survey of the station and finds many dead and a few survivors. These she sends to sick bay.

Then Kelebile falls ill and Caroline is
Cecilia Belgraver
Jun 05, 2017
Cat
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down! Made me think of The Stand blended with a good portion of Greys Anatomy and a dash of Deon Meyer to season. I was super excited at the addition of Charka the cat as well.

This story is a real page turner. Virologist Dr Caroline Burchell ends up being the lone survivor of some sort of virus or bio attack on the South Pole research station. But is she?

As she battles to keep the station in basic working order all by herself and somehow prove her innocence, whilst main
Gail Schimmel
Jun 16, 2017
Erica Platter
Mar 27, 2017
Cheryl
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SPIRE - South Pole International Research Establishment

I really enjoy reading books about extremely cold locations so of course anything based on Antarctica is going to be on my radar.

This is one of the best fiction books I've read about this dangerous, inhospitable environment.

Dr. Caroline Burchell from Johannesburg, South Africa, has been chosen to be the resident surgeon at the SPIRE base and to winter-over at the SPIRE base. She is also a virologist and plans on testing the incubation period
Jenni

• Naledi His Love
  • Seun
  • Bare: The Blesser’s Game
  • A Gap in the Hedge
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1)
  • I'm Not Scared
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • A Rising Man (Sam Wyndham, #1)
  • Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life
  • The Search
  • City of the Beasts (Eagle and Jaguar, #1)
  • Lord Brocktree (Redwall, #13)
  • The White Rose (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3)
  • Kingdom of the Golden Dragon (Eagle and Jaguar, #2)
Fiona Snyckers is the author of the "Trinity" series of novels and the "Sisterz" series of mobile novels. She has also published various short stories.

She was educated at Rhodes University and the University of the Witwatersrand. She lives in Johannesburg with her husband, three children, and four cats.

Fiona loves to interact with fellow readers and writers about the writing process, books in gene

News & Interviews