Start by marking “Design Is Storytelling” as Want to Read:
Design Is Storytelling

Design Is Storytelling

Ellen Lupton, award-winning author of Thinking with Type and How Posters Work, demonstrates how storytelling shapes great design

Good design, like good storytelling, brings ideas to life. The latest book from award-winning writer Ellen Lupton is a playbook for creative thinking, showing designers how to use storytelling techniques to create satisfying graphics, products, se
Published November 21st 2017 by Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum

To ask other readers questions about Design Is Storytelling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Design Is Storytelling

Start your review of Design Is Storytelling
Esteban Mulki
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice compendium of the latest trends that affect design. Nothing more than that, really. PS: the book design is so beautiful that it makes you want to lick the pages (?)
Ian Stewart
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A pleasant introduction to a wide variety of psychological and storytelling ideas that can be and are successfully applied to the thinking and problem solving involved in the practice of designing things.
Ilona
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fine intro to different design concepts. With pictures!
Rebecca
Very intrigued by this idea.
Masha Maltseva
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Fine but shallow intro. Great printing and a lot of links for deeper research on topics.
Tim Belonax
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Well composed and researched, this book is a good starting point for considering storytelling within design.

The end of the book was full of helpful prompts and writing tips.
Marcus Kazmierczak
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The book is quite nice, it has plenty of graphics, color, and excellent printing. The design ideas and concepts in the book seemed to be more around known stories and common sense, little seemed new to me. The book is put together well and flows nicely, maybe I'd give it 4 stars if I were newer to some of the ideas, though I was hoping for a little bit deeper from it.
Jason
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
1) Visually pleasing
2) Promotes Action, Emotion, and Sensation
3) Be advised: tiny text
Enjoyment: 3

There's lots here for reference, to utilize, to inspire, and to learn from. Could be a book that is not required but a suggested read for product design or concept development curriculum. Along with useful and amusing illustrations, this book contains art work, real and imagined products, studies, brands, and theories that concisely showcase design principles. There are accessible anecdotes and indu
Raili Randmaa
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is for you if you are curious about understanding the value of design or have just started off in the design field. Easy read with plenty of examples and supportive visuals.

However, if you are already familiar with the design and its most common theories, this book will not excite you.
Rachel
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Celia
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
Some really good content that was scavenged from a wide variety of sources and made approachable. That relieves me of the time and energy of doing the legwork. And by “legwork” I mean studying dozens of design books and boiling down their themes.

One of the best things about this book is that it is emphatically not a portfolio of design work by various designers thinly disguised as an informational book.

Will refer to this valuable little volume again soon. So glad I bought it.
Nikolay
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick and shallow intro to awkwardly grouped design concepts. If you expect depth or consistency that's not your book. If you expect quality paper, graphics, and good sounding to keep you engaged for a couple of hours, you've to the right place. Those new to the wonderful world of design also might enjoy Design is Storytelling and it even if few of you do, I'd call the book a success.
Emma Jiang
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-non-fiction
I finished this book in two days. It is intriguing and tells a make-sense story. Actually, it is more interesting and funny than I expected. It divided the book into three acts: action, emotion and Sensation (which follows the rule of threes, it advocates).
I think it is some pages in the 3rd part makes it own the reputation of feminism. But in my opinion, it just touched the topic of sex-divined aesthetic, nothing is actually about feminism.
I like Ellen’s writing style, straightforward, logicall
Ilinalta
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was very well written. The book was broken down into logical units, filled with lots of images, and examples, which made for a better reading experience.

I liked the design of the book. It makes for a great reference book for me to use when I'm either starting a new design project or finding ways to create better experiences for the user.

Highly recommend this book.
Cally
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book felt like a comprehensive mini intro textbook that sets the groundwork for future studies. I knew nothing of design previously, so it was particularly interesting me the fact that there are all these underlying theories behind concept design, especially psychology and the fundamentals of vision, of attention, and empathy!
Gabriel Eggers
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice somewhat funny illustrated guide to thinking about design in narrative terms. It includes a lot of different tools and ideas about how to approach the design process. If one thing stood out to me in this book it was the emotional journey tool that was first proposed by Jack Kerouac which I plan to look into more deeply, but there are a lot of good tools here.
Aaron
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
The premise of this book is that every product, organization, and experience is a story, and that you can break up all of these life events into various design elements. The book itself doesn't follow a hero's journey through the narrative arc but is rather a collection of valuable excerpts which analyze the discovery and implementation of those design elements.
Lulu
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read it all at once to know what it has to offer, but will keep at my desk for revisiting specific tools from the book when in need of inspiration! Loved the tone, graphics, colors; very pleasing informative book!
J Rizzo
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting read. It covers many good concepts, but the case studies seemed a bit jammed into the flow. The typography is not good, but once you get over that it’s a nice overview of many different design aspects.
Deb Oestreicher
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lively read, with lots of interesting information but it is not entirely clear who the audience is. Students? A lot of the information seems pretty basic for professionals. Still, I can imagine several folks with diverse interests who would enjoy it.
Bernadette Geuy
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and I have bought several copies as gifts for friends and colleagues.

The structure and visual methods used through out are fabulous. I always find something provocative and useful in the book to use when thinking about a report or a presentation.

Tomas
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
On one hand, Ellen Lupton's Design Is Storytelling is an informative book on how design and storytelling work together. On the other hand, it feels too much like an introduction to different elements of storytelling, such as the narrative arc and hero's journey, without going into the details.
Maggie Sun
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design
Disappointingly shallow introduction to the principles of design — some good concepts in here but because each idea only receives 1-2 pages of attention there’s a lack of cohesion and depth. Might be a good primer for complete design newbies but wouldn’t recommend it otherwise.
A
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
2.5 stars. I don't know what to make of this book. It presents briefly a bunch of tools and techniques commonly used in design and close disciplines. Overall it feels like a potpourri of ideas around how to design "stuff" without much depth.
Vuk Trifkovic
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Starts off with an intriguing line on design as storytelling. Ends up as another, albeit very good, review of design tools. Some of the best examples of personas I've ever seen are featured, though.
Kevin Hodgson
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Some interesting elements of physical space and senses and more as elements of telling stories. I kept waking for it to go deeper, but never did.
Abraham
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Still reading. Definitely enjoying.

The actual cover is much better.
Nate Garvison
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Fine, basic design information. It’s good to review sometimes, but I wished this had gone a little deeper into some subjects.
Allison Grace
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A good read, light read. Ellen links how storytelling is an integral part of design, and goes over some basics. I enjoyed it.
Misha Serdiuk
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
For such a pretentious title, this book is too much of a series of disconnected stories.

• User Friendly: How the Hidden Rules of Design Are Changing the Way We Live, Work, and Play
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • How to
  • Feck Perfuction: Dangerous Ideas on the Business of Life (Business Books, Graphic Design Books, Books on Success)
  • Just Enough Research
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • Pequeño cerdo capitalista
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • Creating a Brand Identity: A Guide for Designers: (Graphic Design Books, Logo Design, Marketing)
  • Draplin Design Co.: Pretty Much Everything
  • Soap and Water and Common Sense: The Definitive Guide to Viruses, Bacteria, Parasites, and Disease

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »