Start by marking “The Haunting of Vancouver Island: Supernatural Encounters with the Other Side” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Vancouver Island: Supernatural Encounters with the Other Side

The Haunting of Vancouver Island: Supernatural Encounters with the Other Side

A compelling investigation into supernatural events and local lore on Vancouver Island.

Vancouver Island is known worldwide for its arresting natural beauty, but those who live here know that it is also imbued with a palpable supernatural energy. Researcher Shanon Sinn found his curiosity piqued by stories of mysterious sightings on the island—ghosts, sasquatches, sea s
Published October 10th 2017 by TouchWood Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting of Vancouver Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunting of Vancouver Island

Start your review of The Haunting of Vancouver Island: Supernatural Encounters with the Other Side
Jay Storey
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up on Vancouver Island, and have often heard (though never experienced myself) about the numerous paranormal events that have taken place there. This book captures a lot of the mystery and intrigue surrounding events up and down the island. I like that that author keeps an open mind, careful not to fall into the trap of just repeating unfounded rumours, that often turn out to be false, but also accepting that there could be something to the events described.

A fascinating read for anyone i
Lotus
I enjoyed this book especially as I live on Vancouver Island and have always been interested in it's ghost stories. Also luckily, Shanon has a really enjoyable voice as a writer, conversational, which is really perfect in these kind of books as sometimes the writing can be too dry otherwise. I liked his approach as well, mine is similar - open minded, but also skeptical.

Even though I had previously read many of the books cited, and so had read, or heard in person, many stories before, I was ple
K. R.
Jan 25, 2021 rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst books I've ever read. It seemed promising, as hauntings are an interesting subject matter, and I generally enjoy mysterious/paranormal/unexplained phenomenon type content. However this reads as though a high-schooler wrote it - amateur, bland, and a very basic, poor writing style. One of the first books I threw in the recycling bin after reading because it was so bad. Several of the "quotes" in the book were based off of Facebook comments... ugh... cringe... If I wanted ...more
Vixtrolla
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Dee Chainey
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Impeccably researched, Shanon Sinn's book delves into a world of spirits and strange creatures seen and experienced on Vancouver Island. Tales range from ghosts to cryptids, with stories being traced back to their original tellings, with careful attention given to accuracy of initial reports and eye-witness accounts. Stories are all explored from the community wider perspective and placed within their cultural context, with a commentary from the author on how the experiences have morphed and cha ...more
Annie
Jan 27, 2021 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I've read, waste of $. It was so bad that I gave it away to my in-laws, and then a year later they forgot I had given it to them and gave it back to me, stating they couldn't get past the first few chapters. Boring, uninspired writing. It seems like the author wrote this while still in high school... such low quality. Each chapter is set up so awkwardly. I guess a young kid might enjoy it but they'd actually probably stop reading it because it was so boring. The best thing ...more
Christina
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not just a collection of ghostly myths, it is more a journalistic research into the reports and tales of both classic Vancouver Island ghost sightings and other creatures (such as sea serpents.) Historical records, reports and often eyewitness accounts of the spirit activities are used to tell the tale but also sort through inconsistency, fraud and the truly unexplained. I found I learned a lot of the island’s factual history, both First Nations and British colonial and how ghostly activites are ...more
Mystic Faerie
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(4.5 Stars, rounded up) I really liked this book. I felt like the stories were well researched, and not told in a way just to scare people and sensationalize the story. The author included a lot of history behind the story, which was great. I feel like he really cared about the subject matter. He always stated both the reasons why and why not the story could be true. I felt that he represented our Island's lore very well, and with a lot of respect. ...more
Sharren
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anne Evangelista
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
I thought I was going to love this book because I really enjoy ghost stories. While I enjoyed learning about the island and learned some history that I never would have otherwise, the author’s writing style made it very difficult to fully enjoy the book. His best stories were the ones were he interviewed people or wrote about personal experiences rather than just talked about what someone said in an online forum, on a tv show, etc.
Sabrina Voerman
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun read especially having been to many of the areas mentioned in this book. As someone who does not believe in ghosts, I found it merely entertaining and informational of the history of the island. I like that Sinn remained neutral and was never trying to force readers to believe in ghosts or not. I found it to be a very respectful way of writing this topic.
Brittany
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow what a fantastic read. The author ensures that he places the context of the research and stories, as well as his own experience and background into this book. Additionally he incorporates both Indigenous and non-Indigenous knowledge with proper acknowledgements and background to tell the hauntings of Vancouver Island. It’s a book that I would read in a well lit area or during the day.
Carrie
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Was ok. Nothing particularly chilling in there, but some interesting stories about some familiar places Sinn takes a very objective approach to the stories and pokes holes where the tales are woven less strongly. A fun read and good fodder for stories to tell around the campfire.
Trisha
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved that there were so many events that have been explained. I like ghost stories that are told from a TRUE aspect. Making up ghost stories is easy!! Ensuring they’re truth, that’s the hard part. Loved the story telling.
Ashleigh
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
What I loved most about this was how primacy was given to the First Nations oral stories and own voices. Even though it was a book about ghost stories I feel like I learned a lot more about Vancouver Island than from other histories.
Judy
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Very well-written and well-researched collection of ghost stories. Includes so many super interesting historic accounts that either confirm or debunk some of the claims. If you're interested in Ghost Stories and/or British Columbia, this is a must-read! Looking forward to the next installment. ...more
Rebecca Shipley
Started off really great but then turned into more of a First Nations folklore which did not interest me.
Deena
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I ain't afraid of no ghost" ...more
Eliott Wilkes
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun read about the Island
Cath
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Neither true stories, nor ghost stories. Somewhere in no mans land. Disappointing. I’ll take a ghost walk and hear the stories instead.
Vanessa
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the way Sinn really captured the magic of Vancouver Island, having grown up there myself, it was really fun to learn the root of many stories I grew up hearing.
Kayla
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I love this book!!! I wish it never ended. Shanon has a great writing style. This is the best paranormal book I have read to date :)
Ashley
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
4.5 stars. A very nice book in which I learned a lot of fascinating history about Vancouver Island. I very much enjoyed it.
Brittney
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
I loved this. Got to learn about tales from the island but also a lot of history!
Melissa
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, library
Pretty terrible storytelling. The Nanaimo Museum covers the surrounding area's ghost stories around Halloween - much more entertaining. ...more
Sarah Sammis
The Haunting of Vancouver Island by Shanon Sinn is a tour guide of rumored haunted locations on Vancouver Island and nearby islands. The book is organized geographically, starting down at the southern end of the island, and working up and out from there.

Kimberley
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: snapshot
Enjoyable and well balanced reporting and writing.

Loved all of the stories - they teach us a lot about the history of the places and people. Makes me want to see more of this beautiful island.
Jessica Brazeal
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
We went on our honeymoon here and I fell in love with this island. It is beautiful and mysterious and old and almost mythical. This book was such a fun way to learn some of the history and get some background of the aura of this magical place. If you haven't ever been, you must go. ...more
Get Booked Fans
Episode 142:
2. Dear Jenn and Amanda,
I am going to Kyuquot British Columbia for a kayaking trip in August and would love any reading recommendations for books about this area or sea otters. I am currently reading Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot and have read The Forest Lover by Susan Vreeland. I work from home and your podcast is my treat for when I can take it a little bit easier at work.
Thanks,
–Erin
Recommended by: Amanda
Megan D
This book has a lot of good history of the Island wrapped up in the stories. It was very spooky. I found myself having trouble sleeping at night and I had to stop reading it.

Extra: It is really fun to text your friend when the are at a haunted spot on the Island. HEHEE

• Split Tooth
  • Highway of Tears: A True Story of Racism, Indifference and the Pursuit of Justice for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
  • Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade  (Lord John Grey, #2)
  • The Whispers of War
  • Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA
  • The Scottish Prisoner (Lord John Grey, #3)
  • Elatsoe
  • Indians on Vacation
  • Yak Girl: Growing Up in the Remote Dolpo Region of Nepal
  • Son of a Trickster (Trickster, #1)
  • It's All Relative: Adventures Up and Down the World's Family Tree
  • Leaving Mother Lake: A Girlhood at the Edge of the World
  • The Chiffon Trenches
  • Lord John and the Hand of Devils (Lord John Grey, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5)
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Empire of Wild
  • From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death
  • A Witch in Time
As a member of the British Columbia Ghosts & Hauntings Research Society (BCGHRS) and Paranormal Studies and Inquiries Canada (PSICAN), I research folklore and hauntings from a journalistic perspective. I write fictional ghost stories and dark fantasy/horror as well.

I'm also an infantry veteran, photographer, forager, and stand-up paddleboarder. I'm currently enrolled in Vancouver Island University