Start by marking “Writing What You Know: How to Turn Personal Experiences into Publishable Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry” as Want to Read:

It's easy for people to write about their feelings in a journal. It's more difficult, however, to convert personal experiences into stories worthy of publication—fiction, non-fiction, or poetry. Filled with engaging exercises, Write from Life guides writers in identifying story-worthy material and transforming their raw material into finished pieces, through conquering ...more
Published April 19th 2016 by Allworth

To ask other readers questions about Writing What You Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing What You Know

Start your review of Writing What You Know: How to Turn Personal Experiences into Publishable Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry
Donna
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Read in the physical, print form, I have taken many notes while reading this book. I feel that the author has approached common questions covered in many books on writing with a fresh perspective. Fears about writing from your personal experience that block the story are addressed in a helpful way. Added are rules for conducting workshops, processing criticism, and reworking drafts. A good book to add to the writer's shelf or experience.
Owen Townend
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The concept of mining personal experience has been both touted and dismissed for as long as writing and general creativity have existed. However I have never been presented with the full possibility of writing what you know.

Cue Meg Files and this marvellous book. In it she discusses how virtually any personal experience, no matter how apparently mundane or potentially libellous, can be used and tempered into an idea that seems universal. Not only this, she gives examples of how this can be done
Belinda
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read several books on writing, and overall I think this is one of the most useful ones (although, really, I love almost all of them). I read it, and I've read it again. I use it as a reference book, I use it for inspiration, I use it to bolster my confidence. It is absolutely fantastic.
Kari
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010-to-2020-ad
I could do without the language...but a pretty good book, and accurate in listing what authors have to keep in mind, from my own experience writing short stories. I was able to move a tiny bit farther on in my writing project, which is what I hoped. Someday I will finish that project before I die!
Liam

• The Lake on Fire
  • Chances Are...
  • Choosing Happiness: Life & Soul Essentials
  • Singing at the Top of Our Lungs
  • Almost Midnight (Mike Bowditch, #10)
  • Women's Work: A Reckoning with Work and Home