Start by marking “Help for the Helper: The Psychophysiology of Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma” as Want to Read:

Therapist burnout is a pressing issue, and self-care is possible only when therapists actively help themselves. The authors examine the literature from neurobiology, social psychology, and folk psychology in order to explain how therapists suffer from an excess of empathy for their clients, and then they present strategies for dealing with burnout and stress.
Published March 17th 2006 by W. W. Norton Company (first published March 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Help for the Helper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help for the Helper

Asta
Hyvä sisältö. Valitettavasti suomennettu psykologian alan kirjallisuus vaikuttaa vilisevän anglismeja, kankeita virkkeitä ja jopa puuttuvia sanoja ja lyöntivirheitä. Tämä käännös ei sentään ole pahimmasta päästä, mutta hankin omaan hyllyyni silti mieluummin alkukielisen.
Meg
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This should be required reading for everyone in a helping profession (in the broadest sense). I was shocked to realize how much I *hadn't* been taught in graduate school (or the 5-6 years since) on the physiology of how we "catch" other people's emotions. I also found it (strangely) unusual and refreshing for Rothschild to assert that (1) it's not good to catch your clients' emotions, as this can make you "the prisoner of someone else's nervous system" (I love this phrase); and (2) it's actually ...more
Matthew
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: master-s-degree
I read this book as a part of my Master's degree and research for my capstone (thesis) paper.

Rothschild has managed to write detailed and organized descriptions of some of the latest neurological research on how humans react to each others' emotions both consciously and unconsciously, especially as helping professionals. Much of the information was new to me about how we have a tendency to mirror the feelings, emotions, and posture around us. As I read, it made so much sense. The film industry m
Janet Ferguson
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Janet by: Jessica Kruckeberg
I HIGHLY recommend this book to any therapist or care-giver who wants to be effective and empathetic without taking on clients' trauma or intense emotions. I am looking forward to implementing the author's strategies to stop having nightmares and allowing my clients' stories to negatively affect my own life. In order to help THEM, I have to be able to avoid "catching" some of the more intense emotions. I am confident the lessons learned from this book will help me be a better therapist in this w ...more
Amy
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Although, this book was designed for therapists and psychologists, I think it is a good for anyone in a major care taker role (teachers, nurses, etc.), or anyone who has a hard time watching the news (or Oprah) without crying. It explains effectively how anxiety and depression can be "catching", and gives tips on how to avoid it.
Rachel Brown
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book explains the physiology and psychology of empathy, mirroring, and vicarious trauma. Most usefully, it has a set of detailed exercises that therapists can do to avoid or recover from vicarious trauma.
Paltia
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
May seem repetitive for those in practice over the long haul. However, if you do supervision or work as a consultant there are some entertaining and useful exercises sprinkled through the text. I don’t think Rothschild credits Bandler but there is a lot taken from NLP theories.

Gato
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some excellent practical advice here.
Theta Sigma
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Una interesante y útil herramienta para cualquier profesional de la ayuda, ya sea psicólogo, enfermera, terapeuta de cualquier tipo, asistente, etc. Aunque personalmente la introducción se me hizo tediosa por ya conocer los conceptos, puede resultar muy útil para quienes no estén familiarizado con los conceptos de neuronas espejo, reflejo, o empatía desde un punto de vista más profesional y serio, por lo que es, realmente, necesaria.
Sin embargo la gran utilidad del libro es su segundo mitad: of
Cyndi
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: counseling
Too much empathy - can that really be a problem? Yes it can! Particularly so, as the author explains, if it is not employed with conscious awareness. If it remains unconscious (and therefore unexamined,) this tendency can be very draining for the practitioner, leading to emotional and physical health problems as well as potential burnout. It can also be detrimental to the therapeutic relationship, and even to the client's well-being. For those who are highly sensitive and attuned to the emotions ...more
Alex
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you work in any of the helping professions, this should be required reading. More books are coming out about self-care, but this is one of the best I've read.
Mike D.W.
Patria Alvelo
Jul 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy
  • The Mindful Therapist: A Clinician's Guide to Mindsight and Neural Integration
  • Shyness: What It Is, What To Do About It
  • In Session: The Bond Between Women and Their Therapists
  • On the Edge of Darkness: Conversations About Conquering Depression
  • Mindfulness & Psychotherapy
  • The Hungry Self: Women, Eating and Identity
  • Inside Therapy: Illuminating Writings About Therapists, Patients, and Psychotherapy
  • Therapeutic Communication: Knowing What to Say When
  • Tigger on the Couch: The Neuroses, Psychoses, Disorders and Maladies of Our Favourite Children's Characters