Start by marking “Designing Distributed Systems: Patterns and Paradigms for Scalable, Reliable Services” as Want to Read:

Developing reliable, scalable distributed systems today is often more black art than science. Building these systems is complicated and, because few formally established patterns are available for designing them, most of these systems end up looking very unique. This practical guide shows you how to use existing software design patterns for designing and building reliable ...more
Published March 5th 2018 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Designing Distributed Systems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing Distributed Systems

Start your review of Designing Distributed Systems: Patterns and Paradigms for Scalable, Reliable Services
Damien
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice entry-level book.
it should be named "Designing Distributed Systems with Kubernetes" though
David Robillard
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: it
If you work with distributed systems, then the whole team should read this book if only to make sure every team member uses the same terminology and language. The theory is followed by a hands-on section which focuses on Kubernetes. Which is interesting if you're using Kubernetes and containers. Less so if you're not. Still a great read for anyone who has to design and run online, distributed systems.
Eduardo
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that you have to squint a little to understand that this book is *not* about kubernetes. Now that we have established that, I just loved how brief and targeted it is. The book really is a collection of distributed systems patterns. This book, similar to the use of C++ and UML in the GoF book, uses kubernetes as its "language" to reify the patterns.
Mosab
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The title is misleading. Instead it should be "A Quick Tour in Distributed Systems using Kubernetes".
Jakub
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got mixed feeling about this.

On one side it shows few patterns that are worth to know.

On the other side, I have not yet chance to be a part of the project that would required them.

I wanted to give 3 stars as I can't find anything useful in this book (thing that I could use straight away), but then hey! who knows what I will be doing next? :)
Laura Uzcategui
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just completed this book, I recommend this book to those who are looking for best practices, why's and how's of deploying , handling and writing applications that lives within distributed systems. It's an easy read, the patterns chapter is a new tool to put inside your toolbox. It's not about having a service and saying it's on a container, it's about knowing what you need to build a reliable service that is running on a container and use a container orchestrator and know what are the best pat ...more
Ali
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast reading, it did great job to evangelize me about orchestration in general, and hooked me up to learn k8s
Vinayak Hegde
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Though the books title says designing distributed systems, I think a better title would be design patterns for container-based systems. Some of the patterns can be transferred to distributed systems but not all. The book assumes knowledge of containers and kubernetes which is fine, but again the title is misleading. The book bends over backwards a few times (such as in the workqueue pattern or the locking chapter to make thing for containers). Many of the patterns are well-known and common sense ...more
Mario Daskalov
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The book gives a nice overview for some well-known distributed systems patterns in the context of containerization. It sounds interesting on paper but most of the patterns do not have anything container-specific. Message queues, sharding, load balancing, replication - all existed before containers and are quite popular and haven't changed in their core because of containers. For example - in the book there is a showcase of a Kubernets Kafka deployment, but despite being interesting it does not i ...more
Sumit Gouthaman
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
This book is an excellent read for anyone interested in learning the science of designing distributed systems.

The best features of this book are:
1. It is terse, and does not waste time with cruft unlike other books of this nature. It can be read in the course of 1 or 2 weekends.
2. It takes into account the availability of modern container orchestration systems. It doesn't dwell too much on things that are already handled well by these orchestration systems.

One
Steve
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Software developers are familiar with the design patterns of low-level code but Burns argues that they can just as easily be applied to larger scale distributed systems and this book attempts to show how.

It’s easy going, sometimes feels “obvious,” (which might be a compliment to its presentation style) and the “hands-on” sections often dive as deep into the weeds as the rest of the book tries to avoid them. (Important points get lost in the abstractions at the high level and obscured by command
Mike Gunderloy
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A broad overview of some of the ways to split work over distributed and autoscaling systems. While there are plenty of code examples (mainly based around Kubernetes and related tools) I think the real value here is in just enumerating the patterns. If ideas like sharding, load-balancing, and ownership election are new to you, then this will help you work through some of the common pitfalls and algorithms.
Saran Sivashanmugam
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it
A must-read for designing modern distributed systems based on containers and container orchestration systems. The book has two parts covering single-node designs such as side-car etc. and multi-node patterns. Single-node patterns may be specific to container orchestration systems, but multi-node patterns can be applied to any modern internet-scale systems. I highly recommend this to anyone designing systems based on Kubernetes or working on any modern large-scale distributed systems.
Tom
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
It should have known before that it will require some Kubernetes know-how to easily follow the book. Nevertheless with some transfer it is possible to adapt the principles in an agnostic way. Brendan created a nice and valuable overview, I also admit the idea to make an attempt to harmonize wording. Therefore everybody you are working with should read it.
Also one positive thing is the hands-on sections, though only for people with Kubernetes.
David
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good reading, especially liked the first couple of sections, with their coverage of distributed system patterns. These topics come up in other places, but get pretty concise, clear coverage here.
The batch processing section is interesting but I felt it quite oriented towards big data type problems.
Sai Akhil
Very nice read for anybody working with or wanting to learn to build distributed systems. The book covers many patterns for designing scalable and reliable services. It also has examples with the code available in GitHub and uses Kubernetes for depiction. The author uses very well-suited and interesting examples to showcase the power of patterns of Distributed Systems.
Luiz Nunes Marques
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Also known as "building blocks" of distributed systems; the use of k8's to test the concepts worked like a charm, but can get you into a bias of using it to solve barely anything. Not a massive book, but not too informal as head first series.
I would advise for those who are already in the subject but does not have a "formal" foundation of dist systems. Worked for me :)
William Anderson
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A contemporary book of modern and cloud considering design patterns, that goes over strategic applications, pitfalls, and implementation strategy. I highly recommend this for anyone getting into devops or leans or is a Solutions Architect in their career.
Jonathan Schoreels
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
First two or three parts of the book are really interesting (if you use kubernetes), the other half of the book messes with "how to implement locks, master election,
..." and other low level details that doesn't really fit in a "design" book.
pavan
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Just like any pattern that triggers initial thoughts to solve a problem, this book presents a quick overview on distributed systems patterns. However it is very to similar to reading patterns in some of the famous blogs and articles.
Tomas
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good survey of the paradigm of distributed systems and the current trends. Distributed systems are moving into clouds and use containers for scalability.

Some parts of the book are deep-dive and contains descriptions of patterns that can be tedious to read if you are not working in the field.
Aditya Pipersenia
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Gives a 10,000 ft of distributed systems. Gives overview of how to implementing functionality outside your application by using specialized off the shelf containers.

Assumes prior hands-on knowledge of kubernetes without with none of the examples would make sense to the reader.
Jari Aarniala
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice overview of some distributed system patterns, many illustrated via Kubernetes. Some parts, such as the very brief look into Kafka seemed less insightful.
Diego Garcia
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good entry level book about distributed systems (on top of kubernetes)
Alexander Holbreich
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Well it's give's some overview over the Distributed System on Kubernetes patterns ;)
Mafalda
Nice reference book but I kinda skipped all the examples on Kubernetes, because I'm not familiar with it.
Amit Herlekar
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short and concise handbook. An excellent guide to designing microservice applications using docker and kubernates.
ferhat
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019_read
Provides a common vocabulary and a list of patterns supported by Kubernetes specific useful hands-on sections.
Vinod Kurup
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Good overview of patterns in distributed computing.
Pahlevi
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Concise book about design patterns in distributed system. Easy to read if we have experience with Kubernetes (I finished 80% of the book in one day)

• Clean Architecture
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Kubernetes: Up & Running
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Cloud Native Infrastructure: Patterns for Scalable Infrastructure and Applications in a Dynamic Environment
  • Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale
  • A Philosophy of Software Design
  • The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Designing Event-Driven Systems
  • Microservice Patterns
  • Building Evolutionary Architectures: Support Constant Change
  • The Site Reliability Workbook: Practical Ways to Implement SRE
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • The Soul of a New Machine
  • I Heart Logs: Event Data, Stream Processing, and Data Integration

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »