Start by marking “Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century” as Want to Read:

Product management has become a critical connective role for modern organizations, from small technology startups to global corporate enterprises. And yet the day-to-day work of product management remains largely misunderstood. In theory, product management is about building products that people love. The real-world practice of product management is often about difficult c ...more
Published December 1st 2017 by O'Reilly Media (first published November 8th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Product Management in Practice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Product Management in Practice

Start your review of Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century
kartik narayanan
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read the full review at my blog

tl;dr – Product Management in Practice has great practical advice for aspiring product managers.

The skill of actually figuring out what you need is probably as important as what you do after you figure it out.

What is the book about?
Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century is written by Matt LeMay, an experienced product leader.

This book has been written, according to Matt LeMay, to talk about the day to day
Ian Stewart
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This belongs on your shelf next to Managing Humans and Radical Candor. It’s written in a conversational style that focuses on where the theory of getting things done breaks down in real life — and then it tells you how to push through. Highly recommend for anyone managing teams that make things. This book was a 10x confidence booster, corrective, and guide for me.
Lehel Ferencz
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel
One of those rare books which changes professional paradigms. Clear, practical, memorable and easily applicable.
Alecsphys
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a must read book for whoever wants to understand what a product managers is meant to do. Reading this book was how reading my daily diary of my working activities with all critical points I have to manage. A really illuminating book about a key role in a company. But as stated into the book "No matter how
smart you are, product management demands that you learn how to be wrong.
No matter how charismatic you are, product management demands that you
learn how to back up your words with actions.
Greg
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
NOTES:
• Pursue clarity over comfort to build your communication skills.
• Seek out opportunities to solve organizational problems on the systemic level rather than the individual level. If the rules aren’t working, change them, don’t break them.
• Don’t let the day-to-day organizational conflicts of your work pull you out of your user’s reality. Remember that what your company cares about and what your users care about are different things, and be a relentless advocate for the latter.
• Remember t
KC
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
In this book, Product Management guru Matt LeMay offers his wisdom surrounding the question: "So, what exactly does a product manager do all day, anyhow?"

The acknowledgment of the ambiguity of the role is a welcome relief. He offers the primers to frame the role: (1) You are not the boss (2) You are not actually building the product yourself and (3) You can’t wait around until somebody tells you what to do.

The introductory profiles lampooning the "bad examples" of product managers were both ente
Oscar Mario
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book for starting product managers

I’ve been in the product manager role for a year, I’ve read dozens of articles and several books, I’ve been in charge of old and new products, and this book has been like a gift from the gods to me. There were several situations where what I was reading just happened to me or was about to happen and I was able to apply what I learned with great success.
I think this is one of those few books that I want to read several times, I cannot stress enough how r
Ayush Jain
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recently completed this book and I have to say, this is one of those books that you would want to revisit at various stages of your Product Management career. You can buy it from Amazon here.

The learnings present in this book are timeless and would be applicable differently to product companies at various different stages but principles more or less remain relevant and highly applicable.

I highly recommend reading this book but just so you get a glimpse of what to expect, here is a summary of t
Lina Afriana
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
A lot of business book actually hard to read and digest, but this book really readable that it even suprises me. The advise is very practical and definitely something that I will revisit in the future. This book does not teach you on how to use framework a, how to use framework b, instead this book show you how you decide the framework and how you do it so you could have better potential to success.

The case shown also relates to what I experienced during work and definitely prepared me better fo
Du Nguyen
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. It provides the fundamentals of product management without prescribing a lot of methods but instead a lot of guidelines or first principles. As of such it seems to be always timely and prevents going into whatever's in vogue like scrum or kanban.
The author has lots of experience and distills all of this very clearly into guidelines and principles. There's plenty of excellent war stories as well from other product managers.
Really recommend this book for product managers or eve
Omri Herman
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*I am a Product Manager*

This book really tackles some very important aspects of actually being a Product Manager that I could have used since day 1.

For me, this book is a gap from the 'Theoretical' Product Manager to the 'Working' Product Manager.

Also, it covers some pitfalls very very well, It's like she was walking in my shoes for the first 2 years of me being an amateur Product Manager.

Super informative, effective, and enjoyable read.
Ditri Ahmetaj
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insights on the practical side of the PM role

Some of the insights discussed in this book are questioned by employers in job interviews regarding the PM position.

The author clearly lists various difficulties and real circumstances that happen when working as PM

Highly recommend it to those starting out as a PM
Lance Willett
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a product manager you are the glue that connects disciplines to solve real customer problems. Build bridges by communicating often, and aim for clarity over comfort. Be open to do whatever it takes to find the right answer.

This practical guide clearly explains the product manager's job and the guiding principles for success in the role.
David Shackelford
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great descriptivist guide to the art of product management. Not a ton that’s new here- but some new lenses for looking at the core skills of planning, communication, stakeholder and customer management, and everything else that needs to happen to get value to users. Would particularly recommend this one to new PMs trying to understand the role.
Joel Davis
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I generally base my rating on how many highlights I make in the book. Even though I'm not a product manager, per se, I found a lot of valuable information in this book. It helped me understand the PM role better and gave me insights into managing the products that I do work on better. I especially found his insights about working with those above you and those below particularly helpful.
Bryan
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really good. Lots of good detail in this book that I'll be chewing on for quite some time. I give it a 4/5 because it's not my favorite book I've ever read on the subject, but it's REALLY REALLY good for all the PMs out there that want to have a better sense for how to be a PM. It's always a nice refresher to read these types of books.
C.A. Martin
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you work in just about any type of organization, you should be able to find useful information in this book. The writing is clear and the advice he gives can help anyone communicate and focus on common goals within a group.
Howard
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super practical advice for the day-to-day work of a product manager.
Trisin
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of general thinks and water.
TC
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that gives an overview of what product management is and the right mindset to approach it. I’d recommend it to anyone interested in the field.
Philip
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written, witty and grounded in reality. This is a must read for anyone in the field.
Sloan
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent insight into management and leadership.
Mark A.
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Together with Melissa Perri's 'Escaping the Build Trap', I consider this essential - practical! - reading for new product managers.
Daniel Hollands
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found it very readable, and look forward to reading it again when I actually get a product management job.
Galichka Sidarenka
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: product
Great read to dive into a new role of a product manager. Lots of real and practical examples that teach you to go beyond frameworks and tools in order to succeed.
Martyna
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book!
Jesse Richards
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book I wish I had read 10 years ago. I had already come to most of the same conclusions as the book, but through lots of trial and error. An excellent guide.
Paiman Chen
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very practical indeed.
Petri
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Concise, nicely opinionated with useful examples and clear references for futher reading.
Alagappan AL
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Author's thoughts are well articulated. Good book to understand product management.

• Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Product Leadership: How Top Product Managers Launch Awesome Products and Build Successful Teams
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
  • Swipe to Unlock: The Primer on Technology and Business Strategy
  • Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Building Products for the Enterprise: Product Management in Enterprise Software
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Decode and Conquer: Answers to Product Management Interviews
  • Just Enough Research
  • Strategize: Product Strategy and Product Roadmap Practices for the Digital Age
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product