Start by marking “Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner Vol. 1

Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner Vol. 1

(Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner #1)

From Ron Marz, Darryl Banks and Romeo Tanghal comes GREEN LANTERN: KYLE RAYNER VOL. 1, collecting the classic Green Lantern adventures long out of print!

Hal Jordan had been Earth's Green Lantern--a proud hero in an even prouder tradition. But even heroes have their limits, and when his hometown of Coast City was destroyed by Mongul, Hal Jordan reached his. When the Green L
Published October 10th 2017 by DC Comics (first published January 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Green Lantern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Lantern

Chad
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: hoopla, 2018
I'd forgotten just how dark this book was at the time. Starts off with the Emerald Twilight story line where Hal Jordan destroys the Green Lantern Corps and becomes Parallax. I was mad for years for what they did to Kilowog. Kyle then receives the only remaining GL ring Greatest American Hero style with no instruction on how to use it. There's some light-hearted moments as Kyle learns to use the ring right up until the moment where "fridging" came from. It's one of the most awful moments in comi ...more
Joseph
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice volume collecting the rise of Kyle Rayner as Green Lantern. Also includes some of Emerald Twilight and Zero Hour to bring the fall of Hal Jordan into perspective. Kyle's one of my favorite GLs ever, especially after his star turn in Tom King's recent The Omega Men: The End is Here, so this was a nice retrospective. The last few issues starring the New Titans were particularly awful, though, and some of the 90s era art work is just hard to look at.

There is an afterword by Ron Marz, who wrote
Keia
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first exposure to Kyle Rayner was while reading Connor Hawke’s time as Green Arrow in the late 1990s. I wanted to read more of him and this collection made that super convenient. It gives a nice overview of what happened to Hal Jordan prior to Kyle getting the ring, and it’s also a great introduction to Kyle.

I’m not the biggest fan of Green Lantern so it was hard to get into the story at first. However, Kyle is such a charming character that it didn’t take long for me to love him. A superhero
Malum
Good start to the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern run. It starts out pretty lighthearted but gets VERY dark and serious pretty quickly, as Kyle finds out that playing superhero isn't just fun and games.

The R.E.B.E.L.S. issue wasn't very good, and the artwork was awful. I wasn't really into the Titan issues, either. The core lantern issues, however, were all really good.
Brendan Mckillip
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it

I’ve always been a fan of Green Lantern - in the character’s many different forms. However, it was the Kyle Rainer version from the mid-90s that I grew the most attached to. So I was happy to see DC Comics collecting the early issues of Kyle’s start as GL in two separate volumes (and was disappointed to see that DC cancelled plans for a 3rd or any future volumes).

The creative team had the unenviable task of getting rid of Hal Jordan and GL Corp and soft-restarting the whole series aroun
Victor Orozco
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DC Comics reprints an epic set of Green Lantern stories from the Post-Crisis era. Having been done for Hal Jordan in the 1980s this collection starts with the early 1990s as it tragically ends Hal Jordan’s run as a Green Lantern.

DC Comics in the 1990s introduced strikingly darker story-lines for its superheroes. The Death of Superman, Batman’s Knightfall, Wonder Woman’s Contest, The Dark Flash Saga and in the case of Green Lantern was Emerald Twilight in which Hal Jordan had betrayed and murdere
Jake
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m so glad DC is reprinting Kyle’s stories. I’m a huge GL fan and I’ve never read any of the stuff from the 90s, but finally can!

This volume’s strengths are all in the actual issues of Green Lantern. They’re well told and form a cohesive story. The origin for Kyle is great and I appreciate the inclusion of Emerald Twilight, the ones where Hal Jordan snaps and destroys the corps, allowing Kyle to get his ring.

The weaknesses are all in the other issues, the ones of REBELS and New Teen Titans. Tho
Tom
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I remembered liking the Kyle Rayner adventures back in the 90s when they were new and decided to see if they held up. They mostly do, and Kyle as a character has a certain charm that works. Then again, his personality may have been based off Peter Parker's. That said, there are some issues here. For one the volume includes three issues from some lesser comics that Kyle appeared in, most notably two from when he joined the New Titans, and one of those Titans issues had the pages out of order. Sec ...more
Robert Morganbesser
Half good

I've always liked the Kyle rayner lantern. (I liked Hal, too). This could have been a great collection if they'd stuck with the first issues rather than jumping around, and having the GL-New titans crossover. A decent, but not great, collection.
Sara Champagne
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kyle Rayner is my favorite Green Lantern and this a read for his early adventures as a superhero. Lots of fun and an enjoyable read.
Emily
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed most of this collection, with the exception of the final two chapters. They didn't seem to fit and were not as well written as the rest.
Furryisme
Jul 09, 2018
Eoin
Apr 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Marz is well known for his work on Silver Surfer and Green Lantern, as well as the Marvel vs DC crossover and Batman/Aliens. He also worked on the CrossGen Comics series Scion, Mystic, Sojourn, and The Path. At Dark Horse Comics he created Samurai: Heaven and Earth and various Star Wars comics. He has also done work for Devil’s Due Publishing’s Aftermath line, namely Blade of Kumori. In 1995, he h ...more

Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner (3 books)
  • Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner Vol. 2