Start by marking “Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner Vol. 1

Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner Vol. 1

(Green Lantern (1990) #48-57)

From Ron Marz, Darryl Banks and Romeo Tanghal comes GREEN LANTERN: KYLE RAYNER VOL. 1, collecting the classic Green Lantern adventures long out of print!

Hal Jordan had been Earth's Green Lantern--a proud hero in an even prouder tradition. But even heroes have their limits, and when his hometown of Coast City was destroyed by Mongul, Hal Jordan reached his. When the Green L
Published October 10th 2017 by DC Comics (first published January 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Green Lantern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Lantern

Start your review of Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner Vol. 1
Chad
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: hoopla, 2018
I'd forgotten just how dark this book was at the time. Starts off with the Emerald Twilight story line where Hal Jordan destroys the Green Lantern Corps and becomes Parallax. I was mad for years for what they did to Kilowog. Kyle then receives the only remaining GL ring Greatest American Hero style with no instruction on how to use it. There's some light-hearted moments as Kyle learns to use the ring right up until the moment where "fridging" came from. It's one of the most awful moments in comi ...more
Joseph
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice volume collecting the rise of Kyle Rayner as Green Lantern. Also includes some of Emerald Twilight and Zero Hour to bring the fall of Hal Jordan into perspective. Kyle's one of my favorite GLs ever, especially after his star turn in Tom King's recent The Omega Men: The End is Here, so this was a nice retrospective. The last few issues starring the New Titans were particularly awful, though, and some of the 90s era art work is just hard to look at.

There is an afterword by Ron Marz, who wrote
Keia
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first exposure to Kyle Rayner was while reading Connor Hawke’s time as Green Arrow in the late 1990s. I wanted to read more of him and this collection made that super convenient. It gives a nice overview of what happened to Hal Jordan prior to Kyle getting the ring, and it’s also a great introduction to Kyle.

I’m not the biggest fan of Green Lantern so it was hard to get into the story at first. However, Kyle is such a charming character that it didn’t take long for me to love him. A superhero
Malum
Good start to the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern run. It starts out pretty lighthearted but gets VERY dark and serious pretty quickly, as Kyle finds out that playing superhero isn't just fun and games.

The R.E.B.E.L.S. issue wasn't very good, and the artwork was awful. I wasn't really into the Titan issues, either. The core lantern issues, however, were all really good.
Douglas Gibson
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
90's comics get a really bad rap and this collection which includes the origin of Kyle Rayner proves how that reputation is not always correct. Kyle's stories in New Guardians and Green Lantern Corps from New 52 made Kyle not only my favorite Green Lantern but earned him a spot on my top 5 favorite (revised adult) superhero list.
So naturally I wanted to go back and read his first appearance and following stories. Now, if you know me, you know I couldn't just start with his first appearance in Gr
Mathieu
Eu quis tanto gostar do Kyle Rayner. E meu sentimento agora é de que a leitura desse encadernado foi exatamente o maior obstáculo na minha vontade de conhecer esse Lanterna.

A grande parte dos fãs mais antigos do Lanterna Verde tiveram seu primeiro contato com o herói durante a fase do roteirista Ron Marz, responsável por revitalizar a revista e alcançar novos leitores em parte por simplificar a mitologia do personagem. Ao tirar de cena a tropa, os guardiões e o próprio portador do anel, Marz ga
Roxanne
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-i-own, 2020
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brendan Mckillip
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic

I’ve always been a fan of Green Lantern - in the character’s many different forms. However, it was the Kyle Rainer version from the mid-90s that I grew the most attached to. So I was happy to see DC Comics collecting the early issues of Kyle’s start as GL in two separate volumes (and was disappointed to see that DC cancelled plans for a 3rd or any future volumes).

The creative team had the unenviable task of getting rid of Hal Jordan and GL Corp and soft-restarting the whole series aroun
Adam Graham
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kyle Rayner's 1990s run as Green Lantern begins here...eventually, but first, we get the three-issue story of Hal Jordan's fall from grace in the wake of Coast City's fall. It's weird to have a book centered on a specific hero and that hero not to show up until the third issue in, but I give it a pass because Jordan's fall is important in setting up Kyle's run plus the story is tragic, but also well-written.

As for Kyle Rayner's early run, it's a mixed bag. As a result of Hal did, things are diff
Nate
Dec 13, 2019 added it
Quite a lot happens in this book. It starts after the destruction of Coast City when Hal Jordan goes on a rampage to destroy the Guardians and becomes Paralax. The surviving Guardian, Ganthet, gives Hal’s ring to a seemingly random guy walking down the street named Kyle Rayner, who jumps into his hero role quite nicely without instruction... that is, until his girlfriend dies* and he realizes he’s in for more than he bargained. After meeting Superman and Alan Scott, he confronts a now overpowere ...more
Clay Bartel
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I was a kid I collected about 5 or so Kyle Rayner Green Lantern comics. These issues would have been collected in the Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Vol 3 if that hadn't been cancelled... anyway in my youth I thought he was the one and only Lantern and Hal always had been Parallax... anyway I'd lost all interest in Green Lantern stories and was only collecting Superman books.

Superman Transformed was also a TPB of my youth and on the opening pages of that book the Final Night story is mentioned.

R
Victor Orozco
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DC Comics reprints an epic set of Green Lantern stories from the Post-Crisis era. Having been done for Hal Jordan in the 1980s this collection starts with the early 1990s as it tragically ends Hal Jordan’s run as a Green Lantern.

DC Comics in the 1990s introduced strikingly darker story-lines for its superheroes. The Death of Superman, Batman’s Knightfall, Wonder Woman’s Contest, The Dark Flash Saga and in the case of Green Lantern was Emerald Twilight in which Hal Jordan had betrayed and murdere
Jake
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m so glad DC is reprinting Kyle’s stories. I’m a huge GL fan and I’ve never read any of the stuff from the 90s, but finally can!

This volume’s strengths are all in the actual issues of Green Lantern. They’re well told and form a cohesive story. The origin for Kyle is great and I appreciate the inclusion of Emerald Twilight, the ones where Hal Jordan snaps and destroys the corps, allowing Kyle to get his ring.

The weaknesses are all in the other issues, the ones of REBELS and New Teen Titans. Tho
Tom
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I remembered liking the Kyle Rayner adventures back in the 90s when they were new and decided to see if they held up. They mostly do, and Kyle as a character has a certain charm that works. Then again, his personality may have been based off Peter Parker's. That said, there are some issues here. For one the volume includes three issues from some lesser comics that Kyle appeared in, most notably two from when he joined the New Titans, and one of those Titans issues had the pages out of order. Sec ...more
Derek
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A fun introduction to Kyle Rayner and the evolution of the Green Lantern mythos.

The collection unfortunately closes with an ill-advised three-part crossover starring the New Titans (a forgettable '90s incarnation of DC's venerable team) that hardly features Kyle and ends things on a sour note.

There's a lot of enjoyable reading before that though.
Mhorg
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Half good

I've always liked the Kyle rayner lantern. (I liked Hal, too). This could have been a great collection if they'd stuck with the first issues rather than jumping around, and having the GL-New titans crossover. A decent, but not great, collection.
Joey
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Starts out strong as an origin story for Kyle Raynor becoming Green Lantern. All the good, bad and ugly of 90's comic shenanigans is presented here, especially after Kyle gets on his feet as the new lantern. When you trim the fat though, it's a worthwhile read.
Sara
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kyle Rayner is my favorite Green Lantern and this a read for his early adventures as a superhero. Lots of fun and an enjoyable read.
Emily
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed most of this collection, with the exception of the final two chapters. They didn't seem to fit and were not as well written as the rest.
Sabs
Oct 28, 2020 rated it liked it
a broke artist that ended up being a superhero because he simply was the better choice between him and a homeless man.Kyle Rayner made it work,even if he wasn t meant to
Boo
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kyle is totally my Green Lantern so I'm loving reading this. And of course this is where the term 'fridging' came from. Poor Alex 💔
Travis Hawkinson

• Green Lantern: Rebirth
  • Superman, Volume 2: The Unity Saga: The House of El
  • Robin Vol. 1: Reborn
  • The Flash by Mark Waid: Book Two
  • Superman: Reign of the Supermen (The Death and Return of Superman, #3)
  • The Death of Superman (The Death and Return of Superman, #1)
  • Superman: Action Comics, Vol. 2: Leviathan Rising
  • Batman, Volume 3: Death of the Family
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two - The Complete Collection
  • JLA: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • The Flash by Mark Waid: Book Three
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year One - The Complete Collection
  • Robin Vol. 2: Triumphant
Marz is well known for his work on Silver Surfer and Green Lantern, as well as the Marvel vs DC crossover and Batman/Aliens. He also worked on the CrossGen Comics series Scion, Mystic, Sojourn, and The Path. At Dark Horse Comics he created Samurai: Heaven and Earth and various Star Wars comics. He has also done work for Devil’s Due Publishing’s Aftermath line, namely Blade of Kumori. In 1995, he h ...more

Green Lantern (1990) (1 - 10 of 176 books)
  • Green Lantern (1990-2004) #1