Start by marking “New Super-Man, Vol. 2: Coming to America” as Want to Read:
New Super-Man, Vol. 2: Coming to America

New Super-Man, Vol. 2: Coming to America

(New Super-Man #2)

The #1 New York Times best-selling author and National Book Award nominee Gene Luen Yang continues his first original series at DC with NEW SUPER-MAN VOL. 2!
To uncover the truth behind his mother's murder, the New Super-Man must reawaken his full power under the tutelage of the mysterious I-Ching! But as training begins, Kong Kenan's ego isn't the only thing taking a
Published October 10th 2017 by DC Comics (first published October 4th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about New Super-Man, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Super-Man, Vol. 2

Start your review of New Super-Man, Vol. 2: Coming to America
James DeSantis
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
At one point Kenan goes "What the hell is actually happening here?" and that's how I felt a lot of the time reading this. New Super-man is basically about a boy who gets the powers similar to Superman but is located in China. Soon after he meets the Bat-man and Wonder Woman of China. They form the Justice League of China!

Volume 2 goes into Bat-man's training and how he became who he is. Also his arch villain which is kind of tragic. We also get a little bit more about Wonder Woman and her twist
Chad
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is a bit of a mess. A lot of it feels directionless with very little happening. The main character is a little too much douchey bro for me. I really didn't like how this ended in the middle of a story. The volumes could have been broken up better as it was two 2 issues stories and then a 2+ issue story with a revelation I saw coming back in volume 1.

I do like that Yang brought in I-Ching. The art is really good. I liked that they are bringing Chinese mythology into the book. The series
Wing Kee
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Still a mess of a book but some very interesting ideas that tickled my Chineseness.

World: The art has been solid so far, good facial expressions but not a lot of sense of motion. But I do wish there was more detail in the character designs as sometimes they look a bit alike. The world building is the best thing and also the most frustrating thing about the book. The ideas of Tai Chi, the Chinese fable, and the Bagua and Qi aspects are fantastic. That's what I said in my last review, this part of
The Library Ladies
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

It’s been awhile, but we’re diving back into graphic novels. I neglected to check back in on the “New Super-Man” stories by Gene Luen Yang for a long time, and by the time I did there were two volumes out, much to my excitement (and guilt that I’d waited so long). I know that while I am a DC Fan Girl I tend to come down on them when it comes to their Rebirth on going series, but “New Super-Man” is one that I’ve greatly enjoyed with little to no
Adam Spanos
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
New Super-Man Volume 2 (New Super-Man - Rebirth) collects issues #7-12 of this series, and although there are Amazon listings for issues up to #16, there is no sign of a collected volume 3…

This excellent volume continues the storylines from the first volume, with Kong Kenan still trying to develop his powers, this time with the help of I-Ching (the old character who helped Diana Prince back in the day when she was unpowered). We see more of the back-stories of the Chinese Bat-Man and Wonder
Jesse A
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-it-up
Better than the first but still not a great book.
Scott Lee
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
So I'm still enjoying this one. Kenan is a kid, but a more believably human kid who actually acts like a teenager as opposed to a kid who is morally extraordinary as are most of the DC teen characters. I mean honestly, forget the brains, incredible athleticism, etc. how many kids as teen agers have the moral compass and strength of character to act like Tim Drake, and Dick Grayson, and so many of these characters do? They're idealized. And it works. I like most of them, REALLY like a lot of ...more
Maggie Gordon
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The pacing in this second volume of New Super-Man is a bit off, but that's pretty typical of the genre. There's mystery, betrayal, and backstory in these pages! The most interesting bit deals with where Wonder Woman came from... definitely an interesting mythical story that is completely different from the original Wondy. Batman has his own unique, tragic backstory playing out as well, and it's interesting to see Yang have this one feature a living family. We also meet Chinese Flash and I must ...more
Earl
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I admit that as much as I've grown to enjoy and appreciate graphic novels, sometimes the format still confuses me. (Am I reading the panels in the correct sequence? Did I read the dialogue in the proper order?) That happened to me a few times with this volume. And there was just too many things happening that I almost got whiplash trying to make sense of sequences and events!

But, I love what Gene Yang is doing with the series. I can't imagine how much more amazing the series could be if certain
Jenna
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, I’m confused re: the ISBN and Goodreads records. But this was a fun issue and having Kenan meet not only a new training master but his idol once more was entertaining. Likewise, having a rival of sorts in Avery (who might be my new favorite) added another dimension to the Justice League of China.

Will definitely continue, but that was an irksome cliffhanger!
Katie Florida
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge Gene Luen Yang and will enjoy anything he writes. This has been fun.
Jimmy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second volume of a fun series in which this volume collects issues 7 through 12. One of the big reason why I enjoyed this series is because this is different than the typical Superman: While the writing of this book is in English this New Superman is ethnically Chinese. I love the Asian cultural flavor to the story; it is unique in a stimulating way while not being so Chinese or Asian where non-Chinese readers would not understand what is going on or turned off. I thought this ...more
Ben Truong
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This trade paperback picks up where the previous volume left off, collecting the next six issues (7–12) of the 2016.

New Super-Man: Coming to America covers three two-part stories: "Training Day", "Coming to America", and "The Zero Ultimatum". For six issues and three stories, it covers many aspects of the Justice League of China.

"Training Day" has Kenan Kong finding an instructor to train him and finds it in I-Ching. He discovered that eight trigrams Bagua – each trigram relinquish one of his
Fizzgig76
Reprints New Super-Man #7-12 (March 2017-August 2017). There is something evil in the Ministry of Self-Reliance and Kenan Kong is out to find out what. With Bat-Man and Wonder-Woman working with him to uncover who destroyed his family, Kenan must begin learning how to unlock his abilities with the help of a trainer named I-Ching. With Lex Luthor taking an extreme interest in Kenan, Kenan finds himself on an international trip…but the truth about his parents could be revealed!

Written by Gene Luen
M
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Gene Luen Yang and Billy Tan continue the saga of the New Super-Man with their second volume. With the onset of the Lunar New Year, the Justice League of China gets an opportunity for some quality down time. Kong Kenan heads to America with Lex Luthor to determine a way to fully restore his erratic powers. Along with new sensei I-Ching, Kenan discovers a gateway to the underworld that holds a Superman-like power. While Luthor looks to exploit that power, a terrorist cell called China White ...more
ElphaReads
Gene Luen Yang continues to his creative and engaging New Super-Man story in volume 2! I love so much about this series, from our flawed protagonist Kong Kenan to his friends and colleagues Wang Baixi (Bat-Man) and Wonder-Woman (Peng Deilan), to the mythology that Yang has centered within his version of Shanghai. In this volume we get a little more background on both Baixi and Deilan, and explore the dynamics of the Qi as it is related to how Kenan and his friends tap into their powers. It's one ...more
J.
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The New Super-Man continues to be one of my favorite series in the DC Rebirth line-up. Not only is he one of the few Asian heroes headlining his own title, but Gene Yang does a great job of pulling Chinese mythology and culture into his story lines.

In this volume Kenan learns to expand on his powers by activating his Chi. He has a brush (thanks to Lex Luthor) with the Chinese Spiritual Underworld. And we learn about the Chinese Wonder Woman's background, and how she's essentially a character out
Adam Fisher
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The time has come for Kenan to embrace his nature as Super-Man and gain all his abilities. To do that, he must learn to harness his Qi, and that means getting a trainer. Master I-Ching offers to help, and accompanies Kenan on his first trip to America. Lex Luthor needs his help to open gates to a hellish realm, but this power play will ultimately be stopped when Superman gets involved.
Unlocking his super hearing, X-Ray vision and Super Speed helps (especially when trying to race the JLC's Flash)
Mouse
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
What a weird book!?!? I'm still not sure what the Hell I read?!?! This seems to have come out of nowhere?

Chinese Superman? Chinese Batman? Chinese Wonder Woman? Chinese Flash? Then they form the Justice League of China? Can't the regular Justice League sue them? Lol
Then there's another Chinese Superman, but he's Superman Zero, but he becomes Emperor Superman? And Chinese Wonder Woman is a giant snake? And Chinese Batman is 3rd rate and not even the best in his class and he's fat??? Chinese
Tom
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kong Kenan and the new Justice League of China have some more adventures that mostly amount to team building. Kenan goes to America and has an adventure involving the original Superman and Lex Luthor, recruits a Flash to the JLC, and learns the true origin of his teammate Wonder-Woman. But, it turns out there was another Super-Man before Kenan, and Kenan has to still unlock many of his powers with the help of his new sensei I-Ching.

I rather like this series. It's fun, not too serious, and
Danielle
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
While it's really hard for Kong Kenan to live up to all of Clark Kent's glory, I do like this story. I'm really interested in where the mystery is going with his parents, and I love seeing the differences between the heroes here and the ones we're used to. Mythology isn't unheard of in mainstream comics, but it's really great to see lesser-represented cultures take the front seat. I do hope we see more of Kenan and the JLC in the future.
Sesana
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Giving this series a second chance after hating the first volume. My biggest problem was there was that I absolutely hated Kenan. I still don't like him, but he's become slightly less than completely awful here. I'm also starting to like the supporting cast. Bringing in Chinese mythology and folklore was an excellent choice, but the book overall still feels kind of disjointed and unfocused. When it works, it's really good. When it doesn't, it's confused at best.
Will Brown
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I wish they stayed a little more consistent with character designs, but otherwise the art is still great and I think this volume does a much better job than the last volume establishing the world and exploring the rest of the cast. The book also does a great job expanding on Kenans powers and how they work in the context of Chinese mythology. If your looking for a different flavored superhero book this is the title to read.
Christian Zamora-Dahmen
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This continues to be a fun read. Familiar names with different faces seems to be a good catch when its tied into a compelling story, and interesting characters to follow.
Oh, and the light mysteries. You don't need to scratch your head to figure out what's going on, and as much as I love complicated storylines, New Super-Man's simplicity is one of its strengths.
John Yelverton
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
As if it wasn't bad enough that there's a knock off, Chinese Superman, now there's a knock off, Chinese Justice League. It's shameless pandering to the Asian markets is what this is. The only redeeming feature of the book is the whale of a twist at the end of it.
Robert
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid continuation of the series with enough variation on the main familiar main characters to keep it interesting in the new cultural setting without overly relying on established figures to carry the storytelling load.
Kian
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc17
Quite enjoyable as a "Chinese" version of Super-Man. Inventive re-imagining of other heroes like Bat-Man and Wonder-Woman as well. RobinBot is especially amusing. The cleverly inserted Chinese philosophical and mythical elements might fly over the heads of non-Chinese though.
Andrew
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series. It's got some interesting ideas going on, and it's fun.

I haven't actually talked myself into buying the monthly book on a regular basis, but I'll likely pick up more of it (in trades or back issues) if I see it on sale.
J.R.
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Would be four stars, but Lex Luthor is not written very Lex-Like.

Super fun read though!
Daniel Butcher
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-rebirth
Honestly I was surprised how much I enjoyed this new version of Super-Man, much more than the volume before.

I liked how Chinese myth and culture was worked into the volume.

• Superman, Volume 4: Black Dawn
  • Superman, Volume 5: Hopes and Fears
  • Teen Titans, Volume 2: The Rise of Aqualad
  • Batgirl, Volume 2: Son of Penguin
  • Batman: Detective Comics, Volume 4: Deus Ex Machina
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws, Volume 2: Who Is Artemis?
  • The Flash, Volume 4: Running Scared
  • Batman: Detective Comics, Volume 3: League of Shadows
  • The Flash, Volume 3: Rogues Reloaded
  • Super Sons, Volume 1: When I Grow Up
  • Superman: Action Comics, Volume 1: Path of Doom
  • Supergirl, Volume 1: Reign Of The Cyborg Supermen
  • Superman: Action Comics, Volume 3: Men of Steel
  • Supergirl, Volume 2: Escape from the Phantom Zone
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He