Start by marking “Draigon Weather (The Legacies of Arnan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Draigon Weather (The Legacies of Arnan, #1)

Draigon Weather (The Legacies of Arnan, #1)

Draigon Weather

The brutal, drought-bringing heat that arises from the colossal, near-mythical Draigon, is a fell portent, heralding the doom of a striving woman.

When Leiel’s mother is Sacrificed to the Draigon to relieve the terrible drought, Leiel is marked by the shame brought to her family. She must leave school, relegated to a new life of servitude.

Cleod, the woodcutte
Published April 18th 2017 by Prospective Press

To ask other readers questions about Draigon Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Draigon Weather

Janny
Sep 18, 2017 added it
Shelves: own
A splendid debut from a talent to watch. Opens with a mature, somewhat beat up hero presented with defending a caravan under threatening circumstances. The setting and the writing and the characters are deftly realized, and the prose, sharp and straight to the point. Alternating flashback chapters slowly reveal the background, with a heroine given equal billing and plenty of 'mind of her own' contrary complexity. She does not exist just to put a shine on the protagonist - anything but, which is ...more
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now that's what I call a keeper!
Fabulous book!!
RTC
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do you have a penchant for books that turn tropes upside down? It’s utterly refreshing and Draigon Weather does just that and so much more.

This is a story is about the lives of a man and woman who met and became friends as young children. This is the story of their families, their town, and the land in which they live. It is a story of truth and lies. It is a story of true friendship and oppression, and not just an oppression of their land by devastating forces, but the oppression of women by me
Lucy Hounsom
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're sick of the same old grimdark fantasy, which offers nothing new, then you're going to love Draigon Weather, which takes the tired old dragonslayer and damsel in distress tropes and turns them on their head. It's a well paced tale of two young people struggling against the roles they're expected to adopt in a backward-thinking society. Refreshingly feminist, Christie's novel is an uplifting homage to the ties of sisterhood and the power of stories. Both Leiel and Cleod are hugely sympat ...more
Katherine
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This is a really interesting fantasy novel. I love the way past & present are combined in a compelling narrative. I can't wait to see where the series goes in book 2.
Julie
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read! Fast-paced with many layers of insights and incredible weaving of myth and archetypes - I couldn't put the book down. Can't wait for the 2nd book to find out what happens next. This is a book to treasure and re-read many times. Give it to your friends and teens - both genders- it's a really important disruption of stereotypes and human empowerment. And who doesn't love dragons?!!!
Kivrin
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good read. The story is good. The characters are people that I care about. A long period of time elapses (the story telling is not linear if that matters to you), and the people grow and change for better and for worse. Leiel is a girl in a small town who loses her mother in a horrendous fashion. Her world is turned upside down, and her only friend is Cleod, a boy younger than her who vows to seek vengeance on her behalf. As they age, their worlds and their views change drastically until th ...more
Richard Burley
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Draigon Weather traces the intertwining stories of its main characters, Cleod and Leiel, as they navigate their way through a deeply patriarchal and classist society. In addition to being an engaging character drama, it's also an extended and well-wrought parable of the dangers of ignorance: knowledge is reserved for the select few and—as is in many ways the case today—those in power often mistake their own ignorance for truth born out of tradition. The book also has more than a little to say ab ...more
Marla BorkBork
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! The pace of this book is exactly right. I was hooked on the story from page one and could not put it down. 36 hours later I finished and cannot wait for the next installment. There are few books out there that have fully engulfed me to the point where I am in the story. This is one of a handfull in my almost 50 years of breathing on this planet. Fabulous!
Sam
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, reviewed
This. Was. So. Good! I've heard this book described as a feminist Western with dragons. Draigons? Whatever. That's exactly what it is, and it is so very much that.

I love SFF that has a true Western feel. Firefly captured it so well, and so does Draigon Weather. As the story traveled throughout Arnan I could almost see the dusty, sepia-toned air and hear the creak of leather and jingling of spurs. This book touched my senses in every way.

The characters are memorable as well. From the washed-up "e
Jerry Hefner
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This tale is not what you expect! An amazing take on Dragons & Women in Fantasy. I found the book was slow to start, but well worth the journey. The world that is created is familiar, but rich in a new mythology.
Leigh Buttram
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! Don’t read the back cover-spoils it a bit. A wonderful intro to this author. Engaging, bright, and unique. Brava!
Steven Poore
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review forthcoming on Fantasy Faction...
R.S. Beck
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Powerful first novel with an intriguing storyline. The two main characters have depth and layered backstories that fully engaged me. The world of Arnan was rich in development and provided a vivid backdrop to the story. I found so many characters that intrigued me. I love a book that leaves me asking for more -- and this book does that.
Andy
Jennifer James
May 13, 2017
LN
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I closed the book, all I could wonder was when book 2 would be available.

The format of the book - moving back and forth between the 2 main characters and specific points in their lives - allowed me to get hints of the trouble to come, and increased the anticipation and the anxiety I felt following the characters through the story. It was an interesting way to tell the story (rather than chronologically), and was very effective in this case.

It's a great twist on the "knight in shining armor
Lenny
Kathryn
May 05, 2018
Maura
May 29, 2017

• Nomad (The Art of Forgetting, #2)
  • Breakshield
  • The Treasury of the Fantastic
  • The Dragon Rises (The Triadine Saga, #2)
  • Lord of Lies (The Ea Cycle, #3)
  • The Shadowed Path
  • Cold Counsel
  • Blazed Union (The Fireblade Array, #4)
  • Myth (Guardians of the Word, #2)
  • The Shadow of the High King (The Weaving Shadows, #1)
  • Cumoro (The Chronicles of Guiamo Durmius Stolo, #2)
  • Crowns of Rust (Kingdoms of Sand, #2)
  • The Pale Hand of God (The Paruus Histories, #1)
  • The Heir to the North (Malessar's Curse, #1)
  • The Shadow Crucible
  • Thief (Sevy, #1)
  • Warrior (Tribesman Book 2)
  • Fool of Fate (A Novel of the Seven Courts, #2)
Paige L. Christie is author of The Legacies of Arnan Fantasy series. The first novel Draigon Weather, published in 2017, has received praise from Janny Wurts and Lucy Hounsom. The forthcoming second book in the series, Wing Wing released in 2018, and she is hard at work on Long Light, the third novel in the series.

Paige was raised in Maine, and lives the NC mountains, writing speculative fiction,