Start by marking “With My Hands: Poems About Making Things” as Want to Read:
With My Hands: Poems About Making Things

With My Hands: Poems About Making Things

For young makers and artists, brief, lively poems illustrated by a NYT bestselling duo celebrate the pleasures of working with your hands.

Building, baking, folding, drawing, shaping . . . making something with your own hands is a special, personal experience. Taking an idea from your imagination and turning it into something real is satisfying and makes the maker proud.

Wi
Published March 27th 2018 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about With My Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With My Hands

Laura Mossa
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Special thanks to Amy Ludwig VanDerWater for sending a copy of With My Hands to our #bookexcursion group. All opinions are my own.

While it’s true that “a maker creates something new that never was before,” creativity can come in many forms. Ludwig VanDerwater has written 26 poems celebrating countless ways ideas can come to life with one’s own hands.

What I love about the poems is the reminder that creating is a very personal experience. In Painting, the painter shares that “nobody can tell I’m
JoEllen
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this celebration of creativity through words and ideas. In my opinion, the madness of maker spaces seems to move readers further away from books. It's a must-have for every "maker" bc best spaces and places connect literacy and learning, "making" stronger readers and writers.
Mary Lee
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, poetry, makerspace
Every maker-space and genius hour needs multiple copies of this book! Inspiring, delightful, and just plain fun.
Christina Carter
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-excursion
With My Hands: Poems About Making Things resonated with me so much. It stirred my creative heart and got my brain buzzing and brimming with thoughts and ideas of possibilities unbound.

You’ll have to stick with me for a moment as I share with you how Amy’s book prompted me to think about what Making looks like and means to me in my library media center.

The library to me has always been a launch pad for possibility. Wondering about and discovering the world around us through books, research, and
Becky
First sentence: I am a maker.

Premise/plot: With My Hands is a themed collection of poems by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater. The theme of the collection is "making things." What kinds of things? All sorts. Not just artsy things like drawings, paintings, cards, and collages. But all sorts. For example, I wasn't expecting a poem about soap carving or making shadow puppets on the wall! I think there is enough variety to inspire and encourage every young reader to say I want to try that!

My thoughts: I enjoy
Amber Webb
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Our classroom LOVED "With My Hands" by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater. We used this book as a standby for poetry month in April. We made sure to read at least one poem from the book each day. It often inspired work and activity in the classroom. When a book can inspire learning and development, it is gold standard. Each poem presented opportunities! This is an excellent classroom book to inspire art, creativity and STEM.
Debbie Tanner
A poetry book about making things! How cool is that?
Jana
The beginning of a new school year is a time when everyone has a fresh start to try new things. This book of poems really celebrates the maker and artist in everyone, whether or not you consider yourself to be an artist. After reading this poems about making all sorts of things: boats, tie-dye shirts, messes, leaf pictures, forts, and cookies, I realized that even if I don't consider myself to be artsy, I have made many items in this book. The collage-style illustrations pop off the page and rea ...more
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading this gem from my #bookposse reading group was even more enjoyable as I read it aloud with my super creator son age 6. I love how this book of poems takes on a STEAM theme. It reinforces the creations children make and gives them ideas for new things too. Beautiful illustrations mean that you linger on a page talking about the depictions. Great for your already creative kids and then ones looking for a little inspiration.
Suebee
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Wonderful! A great addition to any school library with a makerspace or schools with STEM classes.
Wendy Garland
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, poetry, makerspace
I especially enjoyed the first and last poems about making and being a maker.
Elisabeth
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must for any elementary library especially those with a makerspace. The poems capture the very spirit and importance of making, tinkering, and creating. Each poem dedicated to a different maker idea provides inspiration for creating something new. I look forward to using this book frequently with my students in the library this school year.
Ro
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An ode to Making and Makers! Each poem in this book is a young creator's gem! 25 poems celebrate making with paper mâché, paint, recycled materials, yarn, paper, soap, plastic, and more! The poems capture the excitement and hope that creators experience as they set out to make. Two poems in particular tugged at my heart; the first one "Card", which beautifully expresses why handmade gifts are truly precious., I will make sure I share with our library readers and makers, as it’s important to be a ...more
Linda
I'd like to celebrate Amy's new book, With My Hands: Poems About Making Things. More than once I have wished I was teaching again. My school's philosophy was built on a few concepts including the learning that comes from making things. I am grateful for the joy of having two young granddaughters near who visit often, ready to create!
Amy defines what a maker is in the first poem, "Maker": he or she "is a tinkerer, a maker will explore./A maker creates/something new/that/never/was/before" and a
Michelle
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With My Hands is a collection of poems about making things. It's about the personal experience of building, baking, folding, drawing, shaping... starting from scratch with "empty space, ideas, hope and stuff" and creating something new "that never was before." Lou Fancher and Steve Johnson's joyful, collage-style illustrations help bring VanDerwater's words to life.

Among VanDerwater's many gifts as a writer, probably the one that impresses me most is her ability to tap into her inner 7-year-old
Elaine
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
(See upcoming SLJ review)
Donna Merritt
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a school librarian, my vision statement is: "Every student is a reader, an information seeker, a thinker, a tinkerer, and a lifelong learner." As such, they are MAKERS who engage in makerspaces. Makerspaces are hands-on activities that promote cooperation, motivate students to figure things out, and decrease stress.

So, you can imagine my delight in discovering Amy Ludwig VanDerwater's new book of children's poems.

Today's child grows up surrounded by technology. Think back to days of creating
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
VanDerwater, Amy Ludwig With My Hands: Poems About Making Things, pictures by Lou Fancher & Steve Johnson. PICTURE BOOK. Clarion (Houghton), 2018. $18. 9780544313408.

VanDerwater uses a wide variety of poetry styles to celebrate an array of creative arts and STEM activities.

I enjoy the short, pithy poems the best, but each poem would be a great launch for an exploration activity. The illustrations add vibrancy and whimsy to the poems and inspiration for inventions and play. A good fit for sc
Rebecca
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Amy Ludwig VanDerwater for sharing a copy of With My Hands with #BookPosse! The poems are all about things to do in ones makerspace. Whether painting, creating origami, making spaceships or snowflakes, it can all be done in your own space! I can think of quite a few teachers I’ll be recommending this to but anyone can take these ideas and create anywhere! The poems are a perfect example of creating the way you want. They are done in different types and shapes. A great addition to any c ...more
Helen Casserly
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! 'With my Hands' is Amy Ludwig VanDerwater's about to be released, amazing collection of poems about making things. It will speak to all the artists, creatives, tinkerers & engine-nerds out there! Each poem is an invitation to create & the illustrations by Lou Fancher & Steve Johnson add a wonderful vibrancy.
All credit to Amy for reaching those with (STEM) connections who are rarely included in this beautiful genre. This book is a 'must have' for teachers & parents of creativ
Michelle
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-lms
A wonderful collection of different types of arts and crafts that a child can do with her hands! The rhyming text affords listeners a chance to fill in the blanks as they are read to. It is also a great source for projects on rainy weekend days!

Curriculum Connections: poetry, maker space, visual arts, rhyming
Text Features: lots of 'white' space
Audience: grades 1-4th
Heidi-Marie
Great poems about making and creating. Especially on a child's level and the many different things they enjoy and can do. I think my SD--who loves to create in many forms and has a mother who is skilled in some of those ways, too--would enjoy many of these. Good illustrations to go with the poems.
Paul  Hankins
We'll share a review of this collection a little closer to the book's publication date. I just wanted to make sure that this new collection of poems by my maker-friend, Amy Ludwig VanDerwater. It's a special collection that must be in every maker space around the world. No maker space? No worries. That maker space can be as local and small as the first reader with whom you share this book.
Rachel
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This collection celebrates the “joy of making” with over 20 poems about different creative activities, each written in unique styles. The illustrations are also varied, ranging from crayon and colored pencil sketches to mixed media collages and paintings. With My Hands would pair well with an arts and crafts session, or as inspiration for creative pursuits of all types.
Jennifer Brinkmeyer
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-child
I loved the range VanDerwater explored for the things we make as creative people. So many of the poems validated and reflected my daughter's love of making. I think a few more concepts could've been explored to vary the emphasis, but overall, we loved reading these poems together.
Hope
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Filled with poems about making and creating - a perfect addition to any family/class library. Just read all of them to niece while we were waiting in the carpool line and when I finished I said, "well that was awesome. I'm going to have buy this."
Lorie Barber
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Started a lovely Sunday morning with this lovely anthology. Kids will love the idea of all the ways they are “makers.” This will be a great kick off for our poetry anthology unit and an awesome #classroombookaday!
Edward Sullivan
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
A lively and engaging, appealingly illustrated collection of verse celebrating creativity and inventiveness.
Michele Knott
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2018
Amy's poems never disappoint and this collection is a must have.
Danica Midlil
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Poems were wonderful. Illustrations were also nice, but it would have been even better if the artists chose to READ the poems they were supposed to be illustrating! Grrrrrrr.
« previous 1 3 next »
Highly recommended 1 1 Mar 17, 2018 04:58PM
Amy Ludwig VanDerwater is author of children’s books including FOREST HAS A SONG (Clarion), EVERY DAY BIRDS (Scholastic), and READ! READ! READ! (WordSong). She is also author of POEMS ARE TEACHERS (Heinemann) and co-author of POETRY: BIG THOUGHTS IN SMALL PACKAGES (Heinemann). A former fifth grade teacher, Amy received her MA from Teachers College, has taught writing for nineteen years, and blogs ...more