Start by marking “Elegida por la luna (Elegida por la luna, #1)” as Want to Read:
Elegida por la luna (Elegida por la luna, #1)

Elegida por la luna

(Tales of a New World #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  2,956 Ratings  ·  577 Reviews
Elegida para aceptar quién es, elegida para seguir su destino, elegida para cambiar el mundo.

Mari vive al margen de su identidad desde hace mucho tiempo, pero una oscura criatura ha aparecido para destrozarle la vida a ella y a cuantos la rodean. Mari deberá liberar su poder y descubrir quién es en realidad, aceptando así su otro yo y emprendiendo el camino para salvar el
Tapa blanda con solapas, 621 pages
Published June 15th 2017 by Alfaguara (first published October 18th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Elegida por la luna, please sign up.
P.C. Cast It's marketed as YA fantasy, but I pay no attention to genre tags. I wrote the book I most wanted to read, and the main characters just happened to be…moreIt's marketed as YA fantasy, but I pay no attention to genre tags. I wrote the book I most wanted to read, and the main characters just happened to be young...(less)
P.C. Cast Mari is an Earth Walker, heir to the unique healing powers of her Clan; but she has cast her duties aside, until she is chosen by a special animal…moreMari is an Earth Walker, heir to the unique healing powers of her Clan; but she has cast her duties aside, until she is chosen by a special animal ally, altering her destiny forever. When a deadly attack tears her world apart, Mari reveals the strength of her powers and the forbidden secret of her dual nature as she embarks on a mission to save her people. It is not until Nik, the son of the leader from a rival, dominating clan strays across her path, that Mari experiences something she has never felt before…

Now, darkness is coming, and with it, a force, more terrible and destructive than the world has ever seen, leaving Mari to cast the shadows from the earth. By forming a tumultuous alliance with Nik, she must make herself ready. Ready to save her people. Ready to save herself and Nik. Ready to embrace her true destiny…and obliterate the forces that threaten to destroy them all.(less)

Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was sent to me by the publisher for review. I do not think this was a smart choice.

Want to listen to me dissect this book with some friends? Check out this episode of Papercuts Podcast!! If you've ever wanted to hear what I sound like, this is your chance.

This is gonna be a long review and I’m not even covering everything I want to, so I’ve uploaded my notes on Google Drive for easy viewing. Just click the link! All quote citations and page number
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

TW - Racism

When I (painfully) tried to read this book, I was in a GR-annoys-me phase (you know what I mean), and didn't get to post a ranty DNF review because 1)not worth my time and 2)well, NOT WORTH MY TIME. It was the second book from P.C. Cast I tried to read and... Well, I never managed to reach 10%? Because what the fuck is this writing? Really?

ANYWAY. I would have probably forgotten this book even existed if not for seeing it on the NY Times list. Not that it would surprise me that much,
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of very well written dystopian stories
Shelves: favorite-series
5 moonlit stars!

An ARC has been kindly provided by St Martin's Press, via NetGalley.com, in exchange for an honest review.

photo moon chosen canvas_zpshnqswm9x.jpg

I’ve read many books written by this author being her House of Night series or her Goddess Summoning series. When I realized she was writing a new series, I had to read it and I feel so privileged to have been chosen by the publisher as it’s been a truly magical read.

I loved so many things in this book, beginning with the whole new world PC Cast has created depicted with man
alexis
P.C. Cast has TRULY outdone herself with terrible, racist content this time. Moon Chosen is without a doubt the worst book I have read this year.

I would have never picked this book up on my own. P.C. Cast and I do not have a good relationship, and she is just a terrible writer. The only reason I got Moon Chosen was because it was through a book subscription box. Since I inadvertently spent money on Moon Chosen, I had to at least start it. I ended up quitting around the 20% mark.

First off, Moon
Yodamom
Dec 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, did-not-finish
@32%
I can't listen to another minute. I do not like these authors' style, I find the narrators voice annoying and I just don't care about the characters at all.
Major Gripes
1) Repetition: Every time a character speaks to another they use their name. Omg the "Mama, Mama, Mama.." had me wanting to scream "Make it stop" There was also repetition the story, events rehashed and retold many times.
2) TSTL- this girl who is and adult but acts like a child, get's herself into situations that common sense
Cyna
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book founded on racist stereotypes, blackface, and justifiable slavery, and abominable characters framed as "the good guys". We did an in-depth discussion over at Papercuts Podcast, but I wanted to have a text entry on it, too, so here's notes dump. GoogleDocs formatting is better, but here's the text.

PLOT BEATS

-Nik's introduction is him getting called out for his misogyny, being a total sexist, privileged shitface
-We're still supposed to like him tho.

-Relationship between MC and mo
Fangs for the Fantasy
I don’t know how I got roped into this, but it appears I’m reading more P.C. Cast. I blame Cynna, Olivia, Maverynthia and Paige for my pain and suffering. I will be joining them on the Papercuts Podcast to discuss this atrocity we have all endured.

Because this book is just so very… typical. It was utterly awful in several ways.

I think to understand a lot of the PROBLEMATIC awful elements of this book as opposed to the awful WRITING elements of this book and the awful CHARACTER elements of this b
Andrea
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dogs, Skin Stealers and Earth Walkers Oh My!
Moon Chosen
Rating: 5/5

Summary: Mari is half Earth Walker and half Companion. Her dual “ethnicity” has always caused her and her mother to be extremely cautious. She must pretend to be a sickly full-blooded Earth Walker by dying her hair, skin and avoiding sunlight at all costs. In the sunlight, Mari’s skin comes alive with the green glowing Mother Plant fronds that declare her Companion bloodline. When a small pup chooses her as his Companion, Mari’s l
Carrie
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Mari has been raised by her mother who is an Earth Walker. Calling on the power of the moon her mother can heal the clan and needs to name a replacement for her position. Mari should be the one chosen but Mari has had to hide half of herself her whole life because her father was not of the Earth Walkers. When an attack happens Mari decides to stop hiding the other half of herself after she is chosen by a canine from her father's clan.

Nik is from the clan that Mari's father had come from and is o
Suzanne
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book thoroughly enjoyable, even with the vast world building (which I usually do not like). The characters are interesting and there is a good amount of them so you get many different perspectives. I am glad I already have Sun Warrior here because I am very much ready for this story to continue!

Overall, intriguing and a good pace.
Maverynthia
Dec 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: racists, neo-nazis, Trump supporters
TRIGGER WARNING: THis book contains rape, threats of rape, racism and homophobia and thus I will be highlighting them

So if you love racist as hell books like "The Continent" have we got a book for you! Also probably want to go read one of those 5★ reviews.
First of all we have Earth Walkers who are the black, maybe dark skinned Asian people based on the fact that "but her eyes were wrong. They were bigger and almost almond-shaped." Presumable "almost" meaning that her Companion father helped her
☆Stephanie☆
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Title: Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World, #1)
Author: P.C. Cast
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin, 2016 (Oct 18)
Genre: YA Fantasy

This review can be found on my BlogTeacherofYA's Tumblr, or my Goodreads page

My Review:

First of all, I must recognize the beauty of this cover. Has to happen. Might as well be now:

Ok. Had to do that. It's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

My opinion on this book is not going to be popular. I can already tell based on some of what you had to say when I mentioned I was read
Shera (Book Whispers)
**Review copy provided through Netgalley for an honest review.**

Moon Chosen quickly turned into an obsession for me. One of those reads that you can't put down and will try to read everywhere. No really. At one point I begged a charger off of some poor stranger so that I could just KEEP READING! When someone was talking to me in line while checking out I held up my Kindle and said, “Middle. Book. Reading.” (Not one of my finest moments.)

I will be the first to admit you have to really pay attent
Narelle Richards
I enjoy entering the worlds that P C Cast creates and the world within 'Moon Chosen' is certainly well constructed. Mari is a Moon Woman of the Earth Walker people but she has another side to her. Her mother's true love was a Companion of the Tree Tribe, a people who are the sworn enemy of the Earth Walker, so Mari is a combination of both sun and moon (an identity that she struggles with at times). This is an intriguing book that travels through a world that exists after the fall of modern civi ...more
Kei • lovelypagesreviews •
2 stars

Netgalley says I downloaded this book July 26th, it's now September 30th. Officially the longest I've taken to finish a book - if what I did is even called reading.

I got so excited when I first read the blurb, OMG this book sounded amazing! And then I got approved. I immediately jumped in and I was ready to be captivated. Here's the deal: this is a book that needs one of the following,

a) a good editing - and I mean, it's currently at 600 and something pages. 350-400 would be the appropri
Cyndi
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok. So for those of you who started this book and went into WTF fast, I'm with you. But, since I am a fan of Cast and stubborn, I stayed with even through the myriad times of WTF's.
Basically it's dystopian. Sometime in the not too distant future the earth is hit with solar flares that knock out technology and cause all kinds of natural disasters. After diseases, etc. people separate into various groups and go back to a more primitive way of life.
Some stay in the city and become cannibals, so
Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger)
I purchased this book based on the blurb and cover drawing. I thought Mari's "special animal ally" was a wolf. It's not. This is my first book by this author. I see all the 5-star reviews for this book, but I did not enjoy it and won't be following the series.

I found the story slow in spots during the first several chapters. The savagely gruesome acts of human and animal cruelty were written much too explicitly. When I began reading, I thought the story took place in the past. About one third in
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of P.C. Cast’s previous adult and Young adult series. I had already pre-ordered this book from Amazon but was excited to get a copy from the publisher via Netgalley to review( thanks so much!). This book was definitely top notch well written. As always, P.C. Cast has created a well developed mythology, as well as highly intricate and multi-dimensional characters.

In this series, there are many different types of people, including earth walkers and companions. Mari has a secret, s
Lindsay
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I received an eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I LOVED this book, loved. P.C. Cast created a world and characters that kept me up at night. It has been a while since I read a book that kept me up, way past my bedtime, because I wanted to know what was going to happen next. Would Mari be able to stay safe? Would Nik find what he was searching for? Would vastly different tribes/clans be able to figure out a way to live in peace together?

My only disappointment was that this is
Tracey (Life and Literature)
It's amazing how much your thoughts can change in the span of reading a book. When I first started Moon Chosen I have to admit to it being a bit of a struggle. Ok, maybe a little more than a bit. It was very slow paced, and with the book being around 600 pages in length I wondered at how the story would play out if things continued in that vain. Continue in that vain for the most part it did, but I ended up really enjoying the chance to get to know the characters really well. And the pacing did ...more
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I LOVED the House of Night series, so of course when I saw this book I had to buy it. I would love to find or order her other books, she is such a spiritual person. There is even illustrations in the book for every chapter.

Juan Manuel Sarmiento
Jul 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
Elegida por la luna me ha decepcionado por su trama densa, mal desarrollada, inconsistente y con personajes con los que es imposible conectar.
Reseña completa en THE BEST READ YET BLOG
Tijuana *BookTwinsReviews*
Earth Walkers, Skin Stealers, and Companions inhabit the post-apocalyptic earth created by P. C. Cast in Moon Chosen, Book 1 of the Tales of a New World Series. The book follows the intersecting paths of the three clans. The hero and heroine, Nik and Mari join forces to change their world and dispel incorrect assumptions about the differing clans.
Here’s what I liked most: The cover design is beautiful and the premise is imaginative. It’s like nothing I’ve read before. The author describes the n
Felicia [Felicia's Ink(t)]
""I don't think Earth Walkers are less than human. Not anymore - not after meeting you and Sora." "Oh, so now you like Sora?" Mari unsuccessfully tried to keep a smile from tilting her lips up. "Bloody beetle balls no! I don't like Sora. But I also don't think she's less than human. I think she could take on many Warriors of the Tribe and probably defeat them."

"She's actually not a very good fighter. She doesn't believe in physical exertion."

"She could definitely nag them to death," Nik Said."

Th
Luupi
Oct 06, 2018 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read 70 pages but I'm not felling this one right now :/
I know I'll read it soon because it wasn't bad, I just want to read horror right now hahaha
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*ARC provided by St. Martin's in exchange for an honest review*
"Sometimes it is our greatest kindnesses that are the most difficult to bear."
I have been waiting almost a month to share my thoughts about this fantastical and overwhelmingly precious work of art that I can't believe the day has finally come! *Excuse me while I participate in a happy dance of sorts* I admit, I have only read the House of Night series that P.C. co-wrote with her daughter, Kristin, so I didn't know exactly what to exp
Patry Fernandez
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: año-2017
Aoife
I received a free digital copy from the author/publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest feedback.

Moon Chosen is PC Cast’s new book and much like her other books, this one focuses on goddesses of power and a lot of mystery and intrigue wrapped up in magic. Mari is an earth walker and a moon woman-in-training but she has a secret. She’s not 100% earth walker and only she and her mother know. Nik is from the Tribe of the Trees were dogs are the biggest asset, and a canine chooses his comp
Danii
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from NetGalley, from the author and published in exchange for my honest review!
Wow, I forgot how much I loved P.C. Cast! This book was SO unique, and Cast really created a world that nobody has ever made yet! This was a good change from all the popular vampire and werewolf books.
The world building, and writing in this book was terrific! Everything was so detailed, and made you really feel like you were there. I love the ideas of Earth Walkers, Skin Stealers, and the Tree Tr
Pamela Lilley
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read and loved PC Cast's House of Night series and was so looking forward to getting stuck into this new series. It did however, take me quite a while to be totally absorbed in the book, I'd say about halfway. The story is beautifully written in multiple POVs, following 3 main "tribes" as they live in what I can only assume is the future on earth. We follow Mari and her clan who are earth walkers as she and her mother help the clan fight off the dreadful night fever. We also follow Nik an ...more
  • dotwav
  • A Darkly Beating Heart
  • Unraveled (Elemental Assassin, #15)
  • A Tail of Camelot  (Mice of the Round Table, #1)
  • Gamescape: Overworld (Nova Project #1)
  • Lost Gods
  • Metaltown
  • Winter Halo (Outcast, #2)
  • Foxheart (Foxheart, #1)
  • Impyrium
  • Devils & Thieves (Devils & Thieves, #1)
  • Rebel Genius
  • Tricked (Dark Protectors #7.75; 1001 Dark Nights #48)
  • Fire and Heist
  • The Last Harvest
  • Fireborn (Seraphim, #2)
  • Journey's End
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
PC was born in the Midwest, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school, she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. After her tour in the USAF, she taught high school for 15 years before retiring to write full time. PC is a #1 ...more

Tales of a New World (3 books)
  • Sun Warrior (Tales of a New World #2)
  • Wind Rider (Tales of a New World, #3)
“I just have to do the right thing, and recently I've realized that sometimes the right thing seems crazy to those who don't want change.” 2 likes