Start by marking “La ciudad de las almas” as Want to Read:
La ciudad de las almas

La ciudad de las almas

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  798 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
Un inquietante thriller sobrenatural que te mantendrá en tensión hasta el final. Próximo estreno de su adaptación al cine en 2018.

Tras un cataclismo que acabó con las vidas de millones de personas, en el mundo se ha vuelto común ver los espíritus de los fallecidos. Los vivos y los fantasmas conviven de forma cotidiana. Aunque Veronica preferiría que los fantasmas pudieran
Tapa blanda con solapas, 384 pages
Published April 24th 2017 by Ediciones Hidra (first published October 16th 2012)

Giselle
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
When you open a book, usually within 40-50 pages in you start getting a good perception of the plot and what direction it will lead you; this was the downfall of Break My Heart, 1000 Times. It began on a very high note, the premise is incredibly unique and interesting. I love ghost stories and this one was particularly different, cool even. I was expecting the plot to bring us into the story of this post-Event world, to explain how the ghosts are there, and become a little like a post apocalypti ...more
Wendy Darling
Creeeeeeeeepy. And one of the most interesting ghost stories I've ever read.

Review to come.
Anny
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Más bien un 3'75. Me ha gustado muchísimo porque ha sido un libro adictivo. Es cierto que hay partes que me resultaron predecibles pero en general, por la intriga, por algunas tramas que no me esperaba, fue un libro que me sorprendió.
Juan Manuel Sarmiento
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, 2-5-stars
¿Esperaba algo diferente? Sí, bastante. Pero aun así tiene una premisa muy interesante que, de haberse desarrollado de una forma diferente y con otros personajes, podría haber sido mucho más. La ciudad de las almas no es un mal libro, pero ha sido una lectura en la que no me he visto atrapado, terminando por ser algo más mediocre.
Reseña completa en THE BEST READ YET BLOG
Katy
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been excited about this book for a long time. I liked Water's Generation Dead series - although that was more of the cheesy read with undead students trying to fit in high school, whereas this book was a lot more serious and sinister. Ghost hauntings everywhere. A psychopath serial killer. An investigation into the paranormal activity of this town. What more could you possibly want in a horror story?

But I really struggled with this one, and I think when it came down to it, the story is beyo
Brendan
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book completely knocked me out. A really interesting twist on the ghost story that is dark, compelling, ultimately hopeful, and at times painfully honest about grief. I kept putting it down because I wanted to savor it and then picking it up again because I had to know what happened. Oh yeah--it's also beautifully written and full of three-dimensional, believable characters.

I hope that readers who like horror novels but don't usually read YA will find this because it is an exceptional horro
Yaiza
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Este libro me ha gustado mucho. Según iba avanzando más me gustaba. Me parece una historia de fantasmas bastante original y ahora tengo muchas ganas de ver cómo han hecho la adaptación :D
Isamlq
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

It's the creepy and atmospheric thing of the first half that was the strongest part in all this. Then of course, there’s how it’s different in how ghosts are the norm and somehow the byproduct of an (largely unexplained) Event years passed. Later on, it turns into this 'catch me if you can' but more like 'catch me in the act' because absolutely everyone knows who is up to no good! But a little odd was how things felt paused as if a majority of those in the know were waiting for something to
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

Ever since the Event, ghosts have become a regular part of daily life. As if on an endless, mindless loop, these specters return every day, doing something that they did in life. For sixteen year old Veronica, her father appears every morning at the breakfast table, reading the same ghostly newspaper, sipping the same steaming hot cup of coffee, then looking up and smiling at some memory of his wife and daughter before disappearing. There's the ghost of M
Annie
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Le doy un 2.5/5. Aprobado raspado por el meollo de la protagonista pero el estilo del autor me sigue pareciendo asqueroso además de un par de cosas sin sentido dentro de la historia. Mañana rajo en el blog que son casi las dos de la mañana y me voy a la camita 👼

-------

Bueno, reseñado está: link

No he comentado mucho el par de cosas sin sentido porque me he centrado más en las cosas que he odiado del libro. Pero bueno se entiende lo que opino a la perfección xd.
Chapter by Chapter
How would I classify Break My Heart 1,000 Times by Daniel Waters? A morbidly dark Dystopian type read. After what is called as the “Event”, ghosts are popping up everywhere. Ghosts of loved one, ghosts of people from the past…even ghosts of those who have been murdered. The event annihilated millions of people, leaving in its wake, those who now have to live day to day with daily ghostly encounters.

The way in which Break My Heart 1,000 Times opens up, you think that you are watching the everyday
Erin Forson
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley for this wonderful reading experience!
To be released October 16, 2012

Since “The Event” years before, where millions of people were killed in an instant, ghosts have become a constant part of the world. Veronica cannot walk to school without seeing a ghost, sit through a class or have breakfast without a ghost being present—in fact so many ghosts exist, that ghosts are quite normal. People are accustomed to seeing them and have stopped trying to figure out why they appear—with
Lisa Nocita
Veronica sees dead people. Her father at the breakfast table, a strange but cute teenage boy in her bathroom, and more as she makes her way to school each day. They don't seem to phase her. An unexplained cataclysmic event some years earlier claimed the lives of at least 2 million people and ever since, harmless ghostly specters are a part of the daily landscape. The how and why are never explained, so if you want to finish this book you'll have to seriously suspend your disbelief to go along. T ...more
Canadian Reader
Break My Heart 1,000 Times is an unconventional young adult ghost story--part thriller, part mystery, with hints of dystopian fiction--and essentially no chills. Some years after a very poorly-defined cataclysmic "Event" has left ghostly images of millions of the dead visible to the general public, Veronica,an attractive young high-school student is targeted by a creepy teacher, who has suffered his own family losses. A second teacher, another victim of the "Event", is writing a book on the ghos ...more
Shelley
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Daniel Waters did not disappoint with this book! After reading his Generation Dead series, I was worried that might be a one time deal. Such was not the case. I will admit, Waters is a writer who really digs deep into paranormal and social issues, even if they are layered within a good zombie or ghost story. But that is the beauty of his books. You feel as though you are just enjoying a relaxing book, and you are actually tackling some much bigger issues without even knowing it.

When
Rosie Whatcott
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-influence
This book is fantastic.

(A) it is not sappy

(B) it is realistic in the sense that all the characters are complicated and layered.

(C) the plot is unique and gripping

(D) it's a thrilling read that leaves you on edge at times, and at other times makes you feel like you've grasped something great

(E) it is strangely, refreshingly and wonderfully philosophical. I absolutely loved this part about the book. It was what threw it all the way to five stars.

(F) as far as I can tell it is not a series

(G) Da
Matt Schwartz
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure there's too many authors out there whose works I eagerly anticipate as much as Daniel Waters (not just for YA fiction -- fiction, period). His Generation Dead series remains one of the truly ballsiest and addictive series of the last decade.

His new stand-alone novel, Break my Heart 1,000 Times (great title, by the way) doesn't disappoint. As with Generation Dead, Waters plays with the idea of what's essentially a present-day world that has undergone a dramatic shift -- in this case
Alejandra Hernandez
Overall it is a really good book. At the beginning it was really confusing and boring but once you get further into the book you start liking it more and more. I really loved the end of this book it didnt leave you hanging at all it closed up the end pretty way. I liked how they answered any questions you would have.
Claudia Burgoa
I tried, I really tried. I just couldn't continue reading it. I wasn't expecting anything specific, a ghost book totally... But after reading a few chapters I got bored. I love paranormal stories, but the only thing I can say is next book please!
Jean
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To live with grief is to live in a haunted world.

This is illustrated in the literal in Waters' book, his follow up to the inventive and allegorical Generation Dead series. And what he does right in those books, he does right here, as if he perfected the themes that were present there, while introducing more interesting characters with a wider point of view. It has quite a bit in common, actually, with Passing Strange, if only because the growth he shows as an author has proven that he can write
Alya Atiera
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-dot-5-stars

If you ignore the romance in this story since it's not one of the genre for this book, well, it's not that bad. It's kinda creepy and quite scary (view spoiler).

(view spoiler)
Pilar
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Me gusta mucho Daniel Waters. Disfruté muchísimo con Generación Dead, y este libro me lo he leído en un suspiro. Me ha mantenido en tensión, y es un "pasapaginas" de principio a fin. No le doy cuatro estrellas por un par de cosillas que me han chirriado, pero entretenido y original, lo es, sin duda.
Anabel
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Esperaba mucho más de esta historia. A mitad de libro me ha empezado a gustar algo más, pero no hay misterio que el autor le esconda al lector, todo se sabe desde el comienzo, haciendo que no me haya enganchado nada. Está bien lo del tema de los fantasmas pero no me ha convencido mucho.
Pronto reseña completa en: www.rubiesliterarios.com
Yoli
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
No tengo ningún problema en admitir que me ha gustado mucho, además estaba pasando por un parón lector con lo que me ha enganchado y ha hecho que vuelva a tener ganas de leer todo lo que pueda.

Sin duda una gran novela que recomiendo mucho y que además hace alguna critica social y menciona un tema "tabú" como podrían ser los fantasmas.
Arual Gallardo
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
"En resumen, aunque esperaba mucho más de este libro no ha sido una mala lectura, en general es una historia entretenida con mucho misterio y que acaba enganchando. Si os gusta el misterio, los fantasmas y las historias paranormales.... Os lo recomiendo."

Reseña completa: http://obsesionporlalectura.blogspot....
Samanta
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Esperaba muchísimo más de este libro y me he llevado una gran decepción. Creo que la idea era muy buena pero se ha perdido por el camino al tratar de escribirla. Hacia el final sí que tengo que reconocer que no he podido parar de leer y me ha enganchado. Pero podría haber sido mucho mejor.
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
La idea base me ha parecido super buena pero no cómo ha decidido desarrollar la historia el autor. Se me han quedado las cosas demasiado simples y sencillas y con muchas preguntas sin respuesta. El final rápido y apresurado y poco consistente. Una pena porque el inicio me ha encantado.
Dorianne
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful ghost story

Great read and not your usual ghost story. Only reason I gave it four stars was because I wish there were more details about the event. Otherwise it’s worth picking up.
Wendy
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, thriller
2 1/2 stars. This one had so much potential. The ideas about death and grief are lovely and thought provoking. But we know who the murderer is right away. And the main characters figure it out but fall into the too stupid to live category after that.
Sesana
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, horror
There's some really creepy stuff in here, and the ghosts are unusual and very interesting. I especially liked that there's plenty of mysteries left in this world. What was The Event? What are the ghosts, exactly? I just wish that Veronica had been more likable.
Who does Veronica see at the end? 2 14 Oct 02, 2013 06:53AM
  • Hanging by a Thread
  • I Swear
  • Preloved
  • Notes from Ghost Town
  • Escape Theory (Keaton School, #1)
  • Dark Storm
  • Dark Star (Dark Star, #1)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
  • Chemistry Lessons
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
  • Nexis (Tricksters, #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
  • George
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hangman's Curse (Veritas Project, #1)