Start by marking “Sacculina” as Want to Read:
Sacculina

Sacculina

When Jim’s big brother Jack is released from prison, the brothers – along with their broken father and Jack’s menacing best friend – decide to charter an ocean fishing boat to celebrate Jack’s new freedom.

Once the small crew is far out to sea, however, a mutant species rises from the deep abyssal darkness to terrorize the vessel and its occupants.

As the horror of their
Published May 12th 2017 by JournalStone

To ask other readers questions about Sacculina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacculina

Start your review of Sacculina
Karl
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Over the last number of years I have found a certain fondness for horror stories based on sea stories. Upon reflection it could most likely be attributed to William Hope Hodgson and his “Sargasso Sea” stories that I read as a kid. More recently a good deal of Tim Curran’s work has been based on the sea, and these hit my sweet spot. Perhaps it’s that enclosed environment often lonely and the amazing vastness of the sea that does it.

Now add another book and author to this genre, “Sacculina” by
Dan Schwent
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, 2017-books
Jim, his ex-con brother, his father, and Chris, a friend of his brother's, go fishing in the sea on a charter boat. But on that fateful day, their only catch is DEATH!

Sacculina is a short creature feature about killer barnacles. That's what you're getting. The characters are more developed that is necessary for a book of this time. Who would have thought a creature feature would have so much in the way of familial relationships in it?

Anyway, the barnacle threat is really well done. The fact that
Kimberly
4.5 stars!

SACCULINA is the first book that I've read by Philip Fracassi, but it certainly won't be the last! The premise of this novella is simple enough. After Jack Lowell is released from prision, his father Henry, brother Jim, and best friend Chris Hanson, decide to do something to celebrate his return.

Henry rents out a small boat for them to go on a fishing expedition.

"Ocean ain't never safe . . . "

Parts of the story showed an attempt that the younger men made at a light-hearted reunion,
Richard
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, novellas
Have you ever read a horror novel or seen a movie where certain scenes made your skin tingle and itch?

No? Well, that happened to me with this one.
Kept scratching.

I guess that's what they call "making your skin crawl." Fracassi's swift and creepy novella takes a common thing that most people have seen all the time (especially if you've spent time around boats or docks), and finally makes you realize how freakishly spine-tingling they can be. The story is rightfully simple, focusing on a
Bill
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
What do you want to do when you get released from the joint after a few years? Fishing trip with your family and best pal! Hell, yeah!

What you don’t want is to have some fucked up weird things out in the water that want to attach to your skin and eat your flesh. Should’ve got a 12 pack of beer and a hooker or two instead, like a normal person.

“It’s like the ocean farted something wicked, and we’re sitting right on her asshole.”

A very well done and entertaining novella. Fracassi really seems to
Michael Hicks
...and just like that, Philip Fracassi has become an author to watch for me.

Sacculina is a ridiculously rich thematic horror novella, set in one of my favorite locales for horror dramatics - the ocean. Situated on a rented fishing boat, two brothers, their friend, one friend, and the boat's captain (Captain Ron, which threw me at first, frankly, because all I could imagine was Kurt Russell's goofy antics, and this book is decidedly non-comedic), and stranded in the middle of the sea, the group
Adam Nevill
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good and unusual maritime horror novella with cosmic horror overtones.
Spencer
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Philip Fracassi delivers another fantastic story that is tense, unnerving and deftly written.
The characters are really well developed and the fact that story fleshes them out while maintaining an engaging pace is impressive. I also loved the unease that built and the simple but effective setting that became an antagonist in its own right as the dangers within the sea became more menacing.
I would highly recommend this!
Donald Armfield
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-kindle, horror
A fishing trip goes horribly wrong. Fracassi takes us back in the water with his new novella. A hard shell of horror and the water is not rising this time.... it's infested.

Recommended for all horror suspense fans.
Ben Loory
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very scary book! And never became the action-adventure, Jaws-y version of itself; stayed lean and nightmarish and uneasy throughout. Will definitely be reading more of this guy.
David Bridges
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t know what Sacculina meant before I went ahead and read this novella, then I looked it up afterward, and it adds a new reality to the monster in this story. I am definitely a Fracassi fan. I may not be a “scholar” of weird fiction, but I have probably read more than the average person, and Fracassi is one of the best newer authors out writing weird horror fiction.

I believe this is the longest piece I have read by the author clocking in at 109 pages. I am open to reading something longer
Waffles
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another home run from Philip Fracassi. As always, there are complex family relationships on top of the horrors within. If you are looking for a good summer read (or anytime of the year read), I recommend this compact book as well as the author's Altar. Bring these to the beach for a memorable afternoon of shivering under the sun.
❤ArtfullySinful❤
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, library-books
When Jim's older brother Jack was finally released from his 6 long years of incarceration for a first degree burglary charge, his life finally felt lighter, as he saw his brother, thinner but wiser standing before him on the hull of the ship. This was meant to be a family bonding moment, his father Henry sitting beside him, and his brother's best friend for as long as can be remembered; Chris. Al;ways up to mischief, always landing themselves into trouble, Jim was his father's last hope of ...more
Tobin Elliott
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the book that put Fracassi on my radar. To be very specific, it was the understated, gorgeous cover that initially caught my eye, but it was the story that made me want to check this guy out.

I am so damned glad I did. I don't want to give anything away here, but I can say that this story is everything a solid, successful horror story should be. Isolated cast, unexpected antagonist, and unflinching horror.

So good. All the stars.
Jon R. Meyers
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great release from Philip Fracassi. More in depth review to come. Until then you should probably stay out of the water.
Shane Keene
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As someone who's been reading horror for 40+ years, it's safe to say I'm a hard person to scare and up til now it hasn't happened in a long time. I've been entertained by a zillion different books, and this one was hugely entertaining and came with the added bonus of scaring the HELL out of me. Philip Fracassi is a brilliant author with the descriptive prowess and character building skills of an author thrice his age and everything he writes is uniquely his. Sacculina is a must read book, ...more
The Gehenna Post
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sacculina follows the reuniting of two brothers and their father (accompanied by a close friend of the older brother) after the eldest is released from state prison. The group sets sail on a rusty old fishing boat with an eccentric captain, hoping to return to a state of normalcy in their lives, only to discover that there are things beneath the ocean’s surface: morbid and extremely volatile organisms.

First and foremost, we think it is important to know what the word “Sacculina” means by
Tony
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“There are much, much nastier things at sea than sharks…..”

The kindle was made for this perfectly pitched slice of sea horror, making great novellas that might have been tricky to track down a few year instantly accessible. Fortunately for me I had the luxury of reading “Sacculina” in under ninety minutes whilst flying to a family wedding, but if I had been sailing to that same wedding I doubt I would have enjoyed it so much! In recent years the horror world has been enrichen by the renaissance
Sarah B
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book if you love frightening sea stories that involve creatures! I couldn't believe my luck the other week when I stumbled across this book on the library shelf, in the horror section. A sea story?? A sea creature story?? Even better!! I had no idea what sort of creature was involved but that didn't matter.

So this is a novella, at 109 pages. Throughout it has great descriptions that bring the story to life. The rough seas, the trip on the small fishing boat to spend a lazy day
Peter
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun short story (about 90 pages). Killer barnacles, bet you have not heard that one before. Author was right to keep this as a short story. Quickly tell us who the characters are, get into the story and finish. Definitely gave a sense of dread. Not a five star for me because of the ending. Did not think it was consistent with the story. Fun read.
C.F.
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark
A nice male-bonding in horrifying claustrophobic circumstances sort of book. Be aware this is very short (just over 100 pages in soft cover).
Nicely done (clever and disgustingly menacing Evil) and I'll read more of this author.
#1typo (flair)
Antoni
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fracassi throws a new twist on the nautical nightmare. Does a lot in the space of a novella - strong suspense, characterisation - and delivers at the end.
Seán O'Connor
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovecraft meets Jaws in this excellent novella of cosmic horror -- I'm looking forward to reading more of Fracassi's work.
Tracy Klaft
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quick read but a good book if you like scary water creatures.
Tom Scanlan
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...quick knee-jerk reaction review...

I love everything Fracassi writes. I read his novella "Mandala" not to long ago--the longest piece found in his AMAZING short story collection Behold the Void. That novella literally pulled me out of the room and into another realm, where I completely forgot I existed in the normal plain of existence at all...complete absorption--not to mention what Philip puts his characters through leaves my heart rate around 180 the whole time. To sum, I didn't think his
Ethan Campbell
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fracassi's short fiction is pretty uneven, I think -- the horror comes in flashes. This one is a little longer, not quite full novel length, which gives him more space to plumb the depths of his characters and stretch out their plight so we feel the impossibility of their escape. In the end, it's the images that will stay with you.
Jake Marley
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the chance to review Sacculina for ThisIsHorror.co.uk, so a full review should be up at the website by the date of release. I had to jump on here and say, though, that this is an incredible novella and the perfect gateway into Philip Fracassi's fiction.

Without going into spoilers, I can say that this is a tight, engaging story that clamps onto a familiar horror trope and infects it, expanding the story into something unexpected, powerful, and emotionally resonant.

I really, really like this
Chelsea Cage
Feb 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
You know when women on twitter make fun of self-masturbatory male authors who can’t write? This is what they mean
Jeremy
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Philip Fracassi has written a frightening tale that looks to be a bit prophetic:
Brad Sanders
Feb 19, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mapping the Interior
  • The Twilight Pariah
  • In The River
  • The Toll
  • Dark Harvest
  • Ararat (Ben Walker, #1)
  • Dweller
  • A God in the Shed
  • Rum Punch
  • Sharp Teeth
  • Creature
  • The Beast (The Darkdeep, #2)
  • Dept. H Omnibus Volume 1
Philip Fracassi is an award-winning author and screenwriter living in Los Angeles, where he works in the film industry and on his writing.

His debut collection of short horror, BEHOLD THE VOID, won the "Short Story Collection of the Year" award from both This Is Horror and Strange Aeons Magazine.

His stories have been printed in numerous magazines and anthologies, including Best Horror of the Year