Start by marking “Starstruck (Starstruck, #1)” as Want to Read:
Starstruck (Starstruck, #1)

Starstruck

(Starstruck #1)

Listening time 8 hours 16 minutes

After an incident with a hot-air balloon causes college-dropout Sally Webber to lose her job, she sets off to find direction in her life. Crashing into a teleporting alien, however, is not on her to-do list.

Now she’s on the run from TV-drama-loving aliens, and things are just getting started. Zander won’t stop reeling her into life-or-deat
Published May 4th 2017 by Bolide Publishing Limited

To ask other readers questions about Starstruck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starstruck

Apryl Anderson
5-stars for any book that I can't put down, so this one should probably have 6--and not because I'm her mom, let that be clear! This was an all-out, fast and furious, funny and fun read; all too rare these days, and all the more enjoyable for it.

Come to think of it, I ought to give her 4 stars, because she grew up in the French school system, where No One EVER gets a 20/20 lest it go to his head. Besides, I know that this one pales in comparison for what's on the horizon. My biggest miff is tha
Hannah
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r, 2017
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

I've seen so many good reviews for this book, and im so glad so many people enjoyed it cause the author is great!
But im not one of them.. I think I went into this with such high expectations because one of my favorites books is an Alien romance/comedy so I guess I was hoping for something like that but I was disappointed.

First of all, I honestly didn't laugh a single time until over half way through the book during a scene where
Jo
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

For some reason I thought this book was about an intergalactic reality TV show thing? I think something about the Goodreads summary talking about Doctor Who and “TV-drama-loving-aliens.” Either way, it isn’t about an intergalactic reality TV show, but it’s still a really fun and easy read. A good book to curl up with other than using the term “illegal alien,” joking it meant undocumented when it really meant alien.

Sally Webber is a college dropout with a broken alarm clock, recently fired from h
Madeline Dyer
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, I received an ARC of this book, and I absolutely loved it. It's been a while since I read a science fiction novel that had this much fun and humour in it--it's refreshing, entertaining, and so well written.

The writing itself brims with personality, and Sally is one of the most likeable characters out there. Plus she's realistic too. All the characters are believable--even the aliens (and I loved how they popped up and added so much mayhem!) And the characters have pasts too, and we can see h
Dyan
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Starstruck is a science fiction novel about teleporting aliens.
We follow Sally, a woman who loses her job. When an alien appears in front of her car, Sally's life is thrown off. Bored and depressed, she welcomes the diversion, but trying to accommodate this alien as she tries to get back into 'normal' life seems to be a bit harder.

This story's a whirlwind of events, building slow at first but diving into the action in the last quarter o
Meegy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I finished this amazing book today, and can I say wow! I never been on the edge of my seat this much. I do not usually read science fiction books of this sort, but I decided to take the lunge and give it a go. And I am so glad that I did. It definitely makes me want to go out and buy the rest of the series.
Amanda
My reviews are first published on [a cup of tea and an armful of books].

Starstruck is the first book that I received through The Book Robin Hoods, a group of authors and reviewers started by M.C. Frank. More information on my own involvement may be found here and here.
Sally's life is not going according to plans. A college dropout, she's barely able to hold down a steady job and keep a roommate to help pay the rent. When Sally loses her job, it seems like everything is going from bad to w
Liam Burke
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a long time fan of Douglas Adams and the Doctor Who series, I loved this book. It has all the tropes, types, and twists that I like in a book. It had science, it had theoretical science, and it had snark. All the snark. Aliens are practically everywhere, some cleverly hidden, some not-so-cleverly hidden, and it's the kind where it's not a disappointment, because really the story was leading you there the whole time. It's a fun space/earth romp, with a girl we can all relate to, without being ...more
Darque  Dreamer
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-reads
Starstruck is bloody brilliant! It's My So Called Life meets Doctor Who! S.E. Anderson has created comedy with a contemporary edge!

Oh man, this one was a blast to read! It was fun, refreshing, and hilarious! I loved how symbolic it was about the unpredictability of life too!

I enjoyed the story immensely. I could definitely tell the author was influenced by Doctor Who. Did I just drop the DW bomb twice? I so did! Why? Because Starstruck was just as brilliant!

Getting past the comparisons, Starstru
Lisa
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about Sally, a girl with chronic depression, who just recently lost her job, has dropped out of college, hates parties and accidentally runs over a guy, who can travel through time and space causing him to lose the connection to his sister and leaving him stranded on earth. All of that might sound fun on the TV, but Sally's not a fan. After getting abducted by aliens and barely escaping
Big Book Theory
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked reading this story. It was well told and easy to read which is always nice when you just want to relax with an awesome book. I loved Zander and the premise of the story was very interesting.
KarenJo Custodio
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.75 Stars - Quirky, Outrageous and Fun

Starstruck by S.E. Anderson is unique, entertaining, and so much fun. I have always been fascinated by the idea that aliens exist, so I was beyond excited when this gem arrived in the mail. I couldn’t wait to read it and when I finally did, I was smiling and laughing within the first few pages.

The characters are fantastic, hilarious, quirky and so darn lovable. They’re all pretty awesome really... but I definitely have a soft spot for Sally, Zander and Bl
Leland Lydecker
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I started reading this book. I had been assured that it was science fiction, and the description compares it to Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. On the other hand, the cover looks a bit like the love child of a hard scifi novel and a romance. Suffice to say I wasn’t quite sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised by how the story played out.

Starstruck is a fun, lighthearted scifi tale about a struggling young woman who finds aliens hiding in plain
Jet
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am new science fiction reader and I'm hooked by this author. She left me hanging with 'what's next?' Each character is unique and 'full of themselves'. Subtle humor and great chapter titles kept me turning pages. Can't wait to see what on earth [or not] happens to with Sally, Blade, Zander, Grisham and Matt.
S.E. Anderson
Mar 21, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote the book, so I'd feel quite odd giving it a rating!

However, I probably should clear some things up: yes, all questions will be answered! The entire series is planned, and everything, I mean absolutely everything, is connected. So don't worry about the occasional plot-hole shaped incident: it's all part of the adventure.

I really hope you enjoy reading the book as much as I enjoyed writing it. Bisous!
E.A. Copen
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starstruck reminds me a lot of Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide the the Galaxy in tone, and Sally Webber is very much like Arthur Dent. Unmotivated, very normal with everyday problems, and an all-around blase type of person who gets tossed into a situation that's so incredibly...weird.
Which is great, if you like that sort of thing.
I don't read a lot of lighthearted stories, which this definitely is, which may explain why I found it hard to get into this. The writing was good, the characters se
J.D. Cunegan
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my experience, science fiction is a genre that takes itself far too seriously.

Fortunately, Starstruck -- S.E. Anderson's debut novel -- doesn't have that issue. Don't mistake: the stakes are high, both in Sally's life and for the world at large, but this is a quirky tale that isn't afraid to occasionally stop and take a moment to laugh at itself.

After all, Sally goes from a relatively dead-end life to one in which she's knee-deep in aliens and trying to save the world. It's an absurd concept,
Cathy McGough
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given an advanced copy of this book - and have to begin by saying I LOVED IT! With everything going on the world at the moment I wanted and desperately needed an escape. That's what reading fiction is supposed to be all about right? Forgot to say the cover is absolutely stunning so rave review also for the designer. The Prologue pulled me right in, got me instantly curious about the author's world building. A few more pages in we met Sally who is going through a bit of a rough patch, but h ...more
Maggie
I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I believe this book may be better for people who like quirky books and aliens. This book was not for me. I found myself unsure of what was going on the whole time, trying to decide if the book makes sense. I guess I had a thought the book would go one way, and it ended up going the opposite?

Sally is a college dropout who loses her job. But somehow she meets an alien and her whole life changes? I feel bad for all of the bad events ha
Ronald Lett
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very engaging read, the author keeps the story surprising and the protagonist feels very realistic to most of us who graduated college post-millennium! Although there are no heavy science fiction elements, it is a very fun bit of escapism.
Beth Skye Denny
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: na, own, scifi
I absolutely loved this book! As a huge fan of the science fiction genre I was blown away, captivated, and intrigued. The characters were so fun and mysterious but at the end of the book I just kept flipping back and rereading.
I would have to say this book has everything a science-fiction fan could want in a great read. Mystery and adventure abound along with romance and what I hope *fingers crossed* is a slow burn surprise romance, just a thread running beneath all the sci-fi nonstop action.
Tammy
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fun read. I did expect more of a galactic setting but most of it was set on Earth. The first half of the book was humorous with our alien, Zander, getting stuck on Earth and how he and Sally deal with his appearance. The second half changes gears and switches to action. I really enjoyed the second half more due to the action and more sci-fi feel. New author for me and I will be continuing on with the series. I received this ebook in exchange for an honest review. This in no way in ...more
Catherine Banks
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aliens, adventure, scifi
Not your typical sci-fi! I really enjoyed this book and the main character Sally. Zander was my next favorite. It kept you guessing until the end with action and laughs throughout. I look forward to reading book two.

A great debut novel by an author who I will definitely be keeping track of for the next books release.
Rebecca Reddell
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ly
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of, I'd like to thank the author for giving me an opportunity to review this book in exchange for an honest review.

"You know that moment you wake up and everything is good with the world? When you snuggle in the sheets and think that life might just be perfect? And then wonder why you need to get up, and if you could stay llike this forever, or if anybody would even notice if you were gone?"

In this sci - fi novel, we follow the narration of Sally Weber, a depressed college - dropout, as a
EJ Roberts
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For starters, I must say I’m not a huge fan of science fiction. It never quite struck a chord like fantasy did for me. However, S.E. Anderson crafted a delightful story that is perfect for someone who likes to drift along the edges of science fiction. It didn’t contain an overabundance of science facts, leaving the reader to enjoy a delightful ride through Sally’s rather crazy life.

Sally Webber woke up late one morning, all due to a deflated hot air balloon draped across her bedroom window. From
Candyce Kirk
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am having a hard time deciding between 3.5 and 4 stars. I am leaning toward 4 stars, because I really did enjoy reading this. While I really enjoyed the story and it was a fast read, there were some things I would've liked to seen more of/ differently.
Sally just isn't having a good day. A hot-air balloon makes her late for work (and days later she still can't find her alarm clock), she loses her job and her roommate is off to elope, so she needs to find someone fast.
On top of that, she runs so
Taylor Bright
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Actual rating 4.3 stars

Starstruck follows this woman, Sally, who isn't having the best life currently. She just lost her job and her roommate and is just falling into a slump. That slump gets weirder when she hits a man on the road and he doesn't seem hurt.
I loved this book! There were a couple things not addressed at the end but I'm hoping will be in future books, but other than that, it's fantastic. Th characters are lovable(and very much h
Brianna
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
preface: these are my opinions. I'm not sure if the author meant to portray characters the way that I will be talking about in my review but it is how I interpreted the story.

I was graciously sent this book for review by the author and I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised. Going into books I don't tend to have high expectations so that I'm not disappointed and this book did not disappoint. This book captured me from the prologue and kept me intrigued throughout. I particularly enjoyed r
Anna A
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**

I absolutely love the characters in this book! They're all quite well-developed and feel real. The plot was interesting, but what really kept me interested was the characters. The world building was also pretty interesting, and I cannot wait to read more about the universe. I'm glad this book isn't a standalone because I want more!

Granted, the writing itself was okay. At some times it felt like the narration was telling
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

S.E. Anderson can’t ever tell you where she’s from. Not because she doesn’t want to, but because it inevitably leads to a confusing conversation where she goes over where she was born (England) where she grew up (France) and where her family is from (USA) and it tends to make things very complicated.
She’s lived

Starstruck (4 books)
  • Alienation (Starstruck, #2)
  • Traveler (Starstruck, #3)
  • Celestial (Starstruck, #4)
“Sometimes, Don’t Panic does not apply.” 1 likes
“• Was there a handbook that could tell me what to do next? There were thousands of books that taught parenting; I was pretty sure there wasn't a self-help book about alien roommates. If there was, it was probably about abductees, not subletters.” 1 likes