Start by marking “The Shattered Land (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shattered Land (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark, #2)

The Shattered Land (Thorn of Breland #2)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  499 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The Shattered Land: The Dreaming Dark Book 2
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published February 7th 2006 by Wizards of the Coast (first published June 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Shattered Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shattered Land

Newton Nitro
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, d-d-novels
Uma resenha rápida do segundo volume da trilogia Dreaming Dark, escrita por Keith Baker, dentro do fantástico munto "magipunk" de Eberron!

The Shattered Land (Eberron: The Dreaming Dark #02) - Keith Baker | NITROLEITURAS #fantasia #dungeonsanddragons #eberron | 374 páginas, Wizards (2006) | Lido de 01.07.17 a 4.07.17

SINOPSE

Xend'rik. O continente sombrio. Uma terra de antigos impérios orgulhosos que agora estão em ruína. Uma terra envolta em um mistério, onde monstros e poderes sinistros habitam
Blake Billings
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really like "The Shattered Land." I've read through the "Eberron Campaign Setting," so I thought I was prepared for a world that is very morally gray, constantly being on my toes for deception or back stabbing. The turn of events in this story was something I wasn't expecting, and I loved it. I was also very intrigued by the differences of the Drow in this world versus the Forgotten Realms. Honestly, I found it very refreshing. Faerun always feels like there is such distinct boundaries between ...more
Myles
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Baker's City of Towers was a nice change of pace for me, and The Shattered Land lived up to most of my expectations. I found that City of Towers was a stronger novel because of its cohesiveness, but here the pace was better.

A year or so after the events of City of Towers, our adventurers have established themselves in High Walls, but Daine has become plagued with blackouts and disturbing dreams - dreams containing memories of the Night of Mourning. Previously they had had no recollection of the
Steven Wilber
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eberron
This book, the second book in the Dreaming Dark trilogy, has a little bit of everything. There is plenty of action and adventure and all the magic one might expect in a D&D-related book. But at its most basic level this book is mystery set in the fantasy world of Eberron (and a very good mystery at that).

The Shattered Land is filled with plot twists and turns that keep the reader guessing. Add to this an interesting set of characters all with their own mysterious background and what you get
Hyann
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it

I like the first book, simple soldier trying to survive after the war. They make us discover the city of Sharn with a lot of background on Eberron univers. Nothing deep but enjoyable.

The second book took the heroes into another continent of Eberron. They all going there to save Daine because somebody ask him to trust her they will possibly find help there. What? She can't said.

So what happen next, full of chaos and betrayal. The author is trying to force more Eberron background into the story b
Walter Moore
Sep 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of D&D fiction
In this book our heroes plunge into Xen'drik, the "Dark Continent" of Eberron. This is the setting for the D&D source-book Secrets of Xen'drik as well as Dungeons and Dragons On-Line.

Since this is the place most closely tied to the creation legends & cosmology Baker has invented for Eberron, there is much in the background of the plot to savor and enjoy. This is more marred by the fact that Baker never misses a chance to load more "destiny" on every protagonist.. secret origins, prophec
David
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
The second book was much better than the first, The City of Towers. It doesn't feel like watching a D&D play session anymore.

In terms of plot and continuity, well, the why of Daine and his group going to Xen'drik felt like a plot hook that you'd get from an off-the-shelf adventure module. The story pretty much stands on its own - like an episode of an ongoing TV series. There's good pacing of action in this book; makes you want to keep reading. Not to mention the juicy bits of lore of that c
Marco Vadalà
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: D&D lovers
Josh
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
The first book in this series was captivating with its setting and plot in a word that felt fresh and new. The second book unfortunately loses that sense of grandeur in lieu of telling a simple quest story. Disappointingly the whole book is a quest to heal one of the main characters of a mental illness he received in the first book.

A lot of this book is an endless series of the characters getting captured at various stages of their journey, then getting saved by some new character that pops up w
Chip Hunter
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Keith Baker's second insallment of the Dreaming Dark trilogy is even better than the first. The story takes on a much more mysterious and important feel. Plenty of dark secrets about the characters and their fates are hinted at. The adventurers from The City of Towers return in this one to travel to the land of Xen'Drik (or something like that), where they face all kinds of unique and unexpected challenges. Drow elves (with a very unique background) and rogue war-forged hold dark secrets and rul ...more
Robert Carlberg
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. The second in the trilogy. More adventures with Daine, Lei and Pierce. I really wished I would have read these books when they first came out. Eberron is a very fascinating world that was created. The flying ships with elementals bound to them. Ships sailing the ocean with air elementals bound to the sails. The warforged are just awesome to read about. Really great story that did have it's start in the first book. Listening to the explanation of how the Giants first ruled the world ...more
Razakius
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
The second in the Dreaming Dark Trilogy, I really enjoyed this book. Once I got midway in, it became really exciting and I found it hard to put the book down. I think this series is putting the word "Trilogy" to the test as this book doesn't really mesh in with the first book in the series outside of the fact that it shares the same characters. Still I really enjoyed this one, I Heard it was the best of the three but I am still looking forward to the last.
Matthew Perry
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great second book. It leaves you wanting to know more in the end only to lead you on to the dismal third book. This book takes you to Xen'drik and the vast unknown that is found there. It also introduces you to great new characters. There are still a few moments where confusion will easily consume you because the author likes to tell the same story from multiple points of view. Regardless, a good read.
Marvin
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A solid enough middle entry but frustrating in the most obvious of ways: The characters don't move the plot. The plot moves them. They follow along in the dark, making pretty bad decisions that seem avoidable. But the overarching plot of the trilogy opens up a bit, and it's generally pleasant reading. Pierce receives a bit more attention, which is nice. The bizarro drow are different, at least, if not particularly exciting. Sets up nicely for the third installment--I dug the cliffhanger.
Dan
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Whoa... really busy, harder to follow than City of Towers. The middle book of a trilogy, and nothing is resolved here. I think there's an overarching story, but it is buried under lots of fighting, magic weirdness and shifting alliances. I'll finish the set, but it's going to have to be really something to tie all this together.
Dustin
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, tie-in
I liked it. There's a cliffhanger and a twist in the last few pages, and I admit that I didn't really see it coming.
It follows the protagonists through a dangerous land in search of a powerful artifact. Pretty standard fantasy stuff, but it's written well and enjoyable. I would recommend it if you've read the first book in the series.
Rich
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Whole lot of running around and fighting, but not much else to really keep my interest, reading it almost became a chore. I'll finish the trilogy just to see if there's any kind of payoff, but it's not going to be a book I rush out to get.
Neala
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
GREAT

Russell
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Has a great ending, nice twist.
Matthew Gill
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great continuation of the Dreaming Dark saga. It further propels the wondrous writing style and plot baker uses to new heights leaving you dying for the last installment.
Christopher
Jul 25, 2010 rated it liked it
I think this was better than the first book in the series, but unlike the first, it doesn't finish the story.
Ignacio
Sep 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book, highly recommended for everyone that loves Eberron
Trisha
Nathaniel
Jan 20, 2015
Mark Pettit
Aug 18, 2016
  • The Grieving Tree (Eberron: The Dragon Below, #2)
  • Marked for Death (Eberron: The Lost Mark, #1)
  • Flight of the Dying Sun (Eberron: Heirs of Ash, #2)
  • Forge of the Mind Slayers (Eberron: The Blade of the Flame, #2)
  • Bound By Iron (Eberron: The Inquisitives, #1)
  • Storm Dragon (Eberron: The Draconic Prophecies, #1)
  • Tales of the Last War (Eberron)
  • The Crimson Talisman (Eberron: War-Torn, #1)
  • Night of Long Shadows (Eberron: Inquisitives, #2)
  • Farthest Reach (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #2)
I've been interested in games since I first fell under the sinister influence of the Dungeons & Dragons boxed set, back in sixth grade. Over the last few decades I have managed to turn gaming from a hobby into a career. Here is a list of the highlights of my life as a game designer. If you have any questions, let me know!

From 1994-2002, I fell into the computer games industry. My first job was
More about Keith Baker

Thorn of Breland (3 books)
  • The Queen of Stone (Eberron: Thorn of Breland, #1)
  • The Fading Dream (Eberron: Thorn of Breland, #3)