Start by marking “We Came Back” as Want to Read:
We Came Back

We Came Back

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  108 ratings  ·  41 reviews
"WE CAME BACK is an emotional trip through our darkest fears. One of the best books I've read in years."--Kristopher Rufty, author of SOMETHING VIOLENT and DESOLATION.

Growing up dead.

Melvin Brown sees things that aren’t there. Monsters with tentacles and razor-sharp teeth. Ever the social outcast, he is bullied to the point of suicide. And his hatred of those who did him w
Published April 15th 2017 by Sinister Grin Press

To ask other readers questions about We Came Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Came Back

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of We Came Back
Mort
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Would it be wrong?,
would it be right?
If I took my life tonight
Chances are that I might..."

LAST RESORT by Papa Roach

That's right, at the heart of this story is the suicide of a teenager.
Melvin didn't have it easy. It must have felt like the world was against him. He was weird and unpopular, what with the voices in his head, the obsessive drawings of octopi-like creatures with razor sharp teeth, and...
I don't want to upset people, but really, what kind of parent names their child Melvin? It is no
Karl
This hardcover edition is copy 14 of 52 editions published and is signed by Patrick Lacey.
Kimberly
4.5 stars!

WE CAME BACK is the second book I've read from author Patrick Lacey. His first, DREAM WOODS, impressed me with its originality and characterization, but WE CAME BACK expanded on both of these elements to produce an amazing tale of anger that grows stronger even after death.

"It was neither alive nor dead but something in between . . . "

The Grim Reader
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Guest review by Curtis Freeman at cedarhollowhorrorreviews.com

Melvin Brown sees monsters with razor-sharp teeth and tentacles. He is the social outcast that everyone picks on at Lynnwood High School. He is bullied up until he commits suicide in the school cafeteria. A young teacher named Frank Tanner had cafeteria duty that day. He watched Melvin Brown get bullied, and then take his own life. Melvin Brown hates those who bullied him, and that hatred doesn’t die with him.

A decade later, Alyssa T
Frank Errington
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review copy

Patrick Lacey explains We Came Back in the dedication to his latest novel.

"This book is about loss. It's also about monsters and cults and family. But loss is the theme if, indeed, there is one."

With that in mind, every dime Patrick earns from the sales of We Came Back will be donated to a cancer-related charity in memory of his father, Steven Joseph Lacey.

The creep factor is amped up right from the start and continues throughout.

Suddenly, the best and brightest students at Lynnwood
David Brian
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a surprisingly fluid read, especially considering that the novel sets off at a rapid pace, and then never once lets up.
Years on from unfortunate events involving the death of one of his students, Frank Tanner begins to suspect that all is not well in the world. Frank's daughter has brought her new boyfriend home to meet the parents, but there is something not-quite-right about Alyssa's fella. Busty Brown is a tall lad, with skin as pale as death - seriously, he is whiter than y
Kimberly
4.5 stars!

"It was neither alive nor dead but something in between . . . "

Ten years prior, at the old--now abandoned--Lynnwood High School, a senior named Melvin Brown was ruthlessly bullied for years. The atrocious treatment w
Vicki Willis
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It has all the things I like. There were definitely creepy, scary things going on at this school. I especially liked how he did the characters and how they were related to to each other and the story. The setting was great for me too. A lot of the book took place in a school and I am a teacher, so I could relate to all the goings on there. I liked the ending as well. I guessed how that was going to go, but I thought it was perfect for the story.
This was my first read by this au
 Reading Reindeer 2021 On Proxima Centauri
Review of WE CAME BACK
by Patrick Lacey

When I discovered this novel, my first thought was to remember reading the author's wonderful DREAM WOODS, and thinking “oh, this is going to be scary.” Then the title triggered a remembrance of Stephen King's “Sometimes They Come Back,” and I upgraded that perception to “seriously scary.” Author Patrick Lacey not only fulfilled those expectations admirably; he delivers a story with tremendous emotional impact, peeling his characters right down to their cor
Sheri
I'VE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THE NIGHTMARE THAT IS 'WE CAME BACK'!!

If you're reading this review & you like horror stories, creepy tales, or simply enjoy excellent writing-then 'We Came Back' is for you.
I liked this book right away from the beginning & I've put off reading the last few chapters for days as I didn't want it to end. This story carried it's weight from beginning, & all through the middle & ended perfectly! I honestly think I've found myself a new favorite master of all that is freaky &
Dawn
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! Have read Dream Woods as well and love his writing. This book is about horror at a high school, and reminded me a lot of high school...the cliques, bullies, boyfriend drama, etc. Was a great read and the characters were so well built, felt like I knew them! Highly recommended by me!
Troy
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler-free review of We Came Back by Patrick Lacey

4/5

Something weird is happening to the teenagers of Lynnwood, and the town's old, abandoned high school seems to be the epicenter of the strange phenomena...

One of the most unique stories I've read in a long time, Lacey crafts an intriguing tale that effortlessly mixes horror and emotion, tightly wrapped in a thick miasma of dread.

We Came Back plays with a number of serious themes, from relationships and trust, to loss and bullying, giving an u
Monica Go
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I enjoyed this book but I think that leaving it for a while messed it up for me. It should have been read all in one piece.

Anyway, it was pretty intriguing from the beginning. I thought it would be about vampires, but they were something weirder and that surprised me. I couldn't get very close to the characters, though, maybe only Justin and Frank and I didn't find that the explanation for (view spoiler).

Overall,
Shadow Girl
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great book - I've been having an awesome month!
We Came Back really sucked me in, and I thought about the story all day at work - I just wanted to get home to finish!
Full review posted soon!
Peter
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Melvin Brown has been bullied for many years. Kids make fun of him, because he acts and dresses different, from the other kids. The teachers, would look the other way and not say a thing. Melvin got to the point, where he could not stand to be picked on anymore. One day Melvin brought a gun to school and during his lunch break, pulled out the gun, and stuck in his mouth and pulled the trigger. The teachers, just stood there in shock and could not believe what just happened. Shortly after Melvin ...more
Kyleigh
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
STORY - 4/5 (I was really surprised by how smoothly everything ran since the last few horror novels I read weren't as great. I loved how everything the characters did made sense and it didn't feel like their actions were just there to move along the plot. The monster was scary and so were his "minions")

CHARACTERS - 4.5/5 (Every character felt realistic not matter what their age or situation. I really like the teacher perspective as well. You don't usually see a teacher in a book who isn't a jerk
Irene
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Frank Tanner has been a bit over protective of his teenage daughter ever since he lost his son, but it's not just his over cautious nature that his him suspecting something is not right with her weird looking new boyfriend Busty. Something evil is waking up at the old abandoned Lynwood High School. Something that wants revenge on Frank, and will use his daughter to get it.

Meanwhile there's a frightening change coming over the "good" kids in town. They're dressing differently, acting differently,
Marvin
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Some people see high school as the best years of their lives. Other see it as the horror they do not want to go back to. I'm in the latter group. Maybe it's why I liked We Came Back so much because the demons of my high school would have felt at home in the old haunts of Patrick Lacey's Lynwood High School.

Melvin Brown is one of those kids for which high school was hell. At the bottom of the food chain and ignored by even the teachers, he takes a gun to himself in the cafeteria and kills himself
Kenneth McKinley
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, own-kindle
WE CAME BACK is the impressive sophomoric effort from Patrick Lacey. While, yes, there are shades of King's SOMETIME'S THEY COME BACK and CARRIE, WE CAME BACK is it's own monster. A high school revenge tale that takes on a twisted life of it's own. We can imagine the Melvins in the world. We've seen many a teenager in the news that has taken his own life with their high school as their stage as they paint the walls red with their own blood and brain matter. We've all experienced various levels o ...more
David Murphy
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the phrase page turner is sometimes used to loosely but in this case it is one of the only terms I can use to describe We came back. Having preordered the book (being a fan of Patrick Lacey's work already) I sat down the morning of its release to read a small bit of it. A few hours later I now sit and write the review. It feels like the book takes a hold of you and is impossible to put down.

Every character and scene in the book is described with such precision that you can picture the ev
Curtis
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We Came Back is an engaging work of character driven horror with an atmosphere reminiscent of the best films in the horror section of your old video store. A haunting backstory helps set the tone of the book from the beginning, and I found myself hooked nearly immediately.
The monsters in We Came Back are not your typical creatures of the night. Lacey comes at the vampire concept from a visceral and original perspective, revealing just enough about the creatures without demystifying them. Meanwhi
Andy
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-owned-total
This is the first book by Patrick Lacey that I've read, and I am floored.
I'll be honest, from the cover and description I was ready for a full on horror show. But this bad boy runs the gamut of emotions.
I really hesitate to say too much because a little bit can give away a lot. Especially with this one.
But let's just say if you're a fan of books like The Ruins or 'Salems Lot, you are in for a great ride!!!
But on top of that there is a great story of a father living with a great guilt and his
Victoria Sterling
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book. Highly recommend
Gayle Noble
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
When 'straight A' students suddenly start acting out, not studying, and dressing all in black, parents and teachers wonder what is happening. But this is no average teenage rebellious phase! Years before, a pupil who was being bullied committed suicide at the now abandoned old high school. Is there a link?

I enjoyed reading this. It was like an adult (sexual references and violence) version of the Point Horror books I read as as teenager. I loved them so much I still have them all years later. No
Chad
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book of his that I have read, following Dream Woods and I was definitely impressed. It has the feel of a great, gritty kind of thriller in which a small town is slowly taken over by a cult of teenagers. There are a lot of dark, creepy moments throughout this and he effectively builds his way up to a satisfying conclusion. It's a great, fast read. ...more
Baker St Shelves
Wow. This book has it all! Small towns, teenagers, secret cults, mind control, and ancient evil. Ten years ago, a violent situation happened during school and after that, teens all over are taking on the goth look and are slowly becoming more deranged. Parents, teachers, and other students are trying to figure out the mystery as the cause of this is hiding below the surface and it’s much more evil and ancient.
I love this book! It had everything I needed in a great horror story with its realistic
Tim Meyer
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great story from Patrick Lacey. Dynamic characterization, a smooth reading style, and an interesting take on old horror tropes, WE CAME BACK is a quick, fun read to satisfy every horror reader's expectation. It reminded me of Salem's Lots meets The Faculty. If that doesn't get you jacked up, then listen to this - all royalties from this book are being donated to cancer research. Check it out! ...more
Bob
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although the explanation of why the creatures could be destroyed was a little shaky, I totally enjoyed this Lovecraftian revenge based creepfest. Well written and fast paced with interesting characters. Highly recommended.
mike frazier
Not good

I am sure glad this book is over. I didn't like the characters, didn't care about the giant squid monster part and thought it was very corny and dumb. That said, the author would have potential if he thought of better plots for future work. His writing style isn't bad.
Russell Coy
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Lacey. This story of afterlife revenge digs deep and evokes a great deal of honest pain, making it much more than the generic creature novel it could have been. One of my favorites of 2017 so far.
Gore and More: May Group Read with Guest Author Patrick Lacey 52 56 Jun 26, 2017 04:13AM

• Camp Slaughter
  • Cirque Berserk
  • We Sold Our Souls
  • Red Station
  • Reception
  • The Cipher (Nina Guerrera, #1)
  • The Cockroach King
  • The Hunt
  • Touch the Night
  • Devil's Creek
  • They Came with the Rain
Patrick Lacey was born and raised in a haunted house. He currently spends his nights and weekends writing about things that make the general public uncomfortable. He lives in Massachusetts with his wife, his oversized cat, and his muse, who is likely trying to kill him.

Twitter: @patlacey