Start by marking “Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams)” as Want to Read:
Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams)

Marie Curie

(Pequeña & GRANDE #6)

Marie Curie fue la primera mujer doctora en Ciencias y profesora en la Universidad de París, además de la primera persona de la historia en recibir dos premios Nobel. Su sencillez y fe altruista en la ciencia la llevaron a descubrir el radio y el polonio y a desarrollar la teoría de la radioactividad por lo que está considerada la mujer más inspiradora de la ciencia modern ...more
Published March 2nd 2017 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books (first published October 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Marie Curie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marie Curie

Manybooks
Although I do consider Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara's introduction to the life, work and achievements of Polish/French chemist Marie Curie as generally adequately and informatively enough presented (and yes, that she won the Nobel Prize not once, but twice), personally Marie Curie has still been rather a disappointment narrative and main thematics wise. For in my humble opinion (and indeed this even in a picture book geared towards young children) author Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara should definit ...more
Hilary
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
3.5 stars. This is a nice series about famous lives. Nice illustrations and a line or two of text on each page.

Although this is a good introduction to Marie Chris, it felt as though her story was told in the bare minimum. I think if children are old enough to hear about Marie Curie they are probably old enough to hear a bit more about her life.

Christie Angleton
Beautiful art, but decidedly underwhelmed by the text. I get that this a very brief introduction to Curie’s life and work, but there is basically no substance here. Kids deserve better.
Soňa
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is lavishly illustrated with very few text in it. Not that the text doesn't matter but for reason that those few sentences used in it are putting together all necessary that needs to be said. Rest of the story is done by pictures which do the major part of talking.
In case you know very few about Marie Curie but you don't want to read long stories and chemical formulas, this is for you, short and sweet recap of life of one of the biggest women in the history of science.

Prvá veta:
When
Lindsey
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is so beautiful.
Hâf
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully illustrated tale of Marie Curie's life, with a line or two of text to accompany the pictures. Although this is a wonderful introduction to this famous woman, I think it could have been a bit more detailed. It's a book to be cherished by budding scientists so there's no reason why it couldn't have explained more about Marie Curie's work.
Pink STREAM
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very important to show women in STEM to girls since their childhood because according to the U.S. Department of Commerce Economics and Statistics Administration one of the biggest factors contributing to the discrepancy of women and men in STEM is a lack of female role models. Actually there are many female role models, but the problem is we don't know them. Learning women in STEM with books, movies and other resources that children enjoy would make them more interested and confident about ...more
Erin
Another wonderful installment in the Little People, Big Dreams series of biographies for younger readers. As with the others, Marie Curie's story is told in brief, simple sentences that are accompanied by lovely illustrations. I flipped between the two spreads illustrating her Nobel Prize wins a few times because they are very affecting. On the second one, the seat that Pierre had occupied the first time is left empty with only the shadow of a person in the seat to illustrate his absence. It is ...more
Ariel Jensen
Sorry, Marie—you couldn’t keep the attention of the kids. Lovely illustrations, very classy and whimsical, but the bio wasn’t as captivating. I so badly wanted to be excited about this one, but it fell flat for me and especially for my “nanny kids”.
Tina
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, Marie Curie was not allowed to attend a university with young men. And how did she respond to that challenge? She went on to win not one but two Nobel Prizes, the first women to do so. Girl power indeed!
Ruth
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these children's-appropriate biographies. I can learn quite a lot about many people in a very short timespan.

Baby Bookworm
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Little People, Big Dreams: Marie Curie, written by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara and illustrated by Frau Isa, a gorgeous, inspiring and moving little book about the famed scientist.

Little Marie was never quite what people expected of girls in her time: instead of a princess, she longed to be a scientist. However, girls were not allowed to attend college in her co
Jennifer B.
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice addition to the series.
Megan Schmelzer
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

While wandering around Barnes and Noble, I stumbled across this awesome new board book series for babies and toddlers. The vibrant, yet simple, covers displaying historical women that I have grown up learning caught my eye, and it instantly drew me to pick up a few of these books off the shelves.

To be totally honest, I was so intrigued by these books that I ended up sitting right down in the aisle of the store to explore this new nonfic
Megan Schmelzer
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

Ben Truong
Marie Curie is the sixth book in the Little People, Big Dreams series and is a children's picture book written by Isabel Sánchez Vegara and illustrated by Frau Isa. It is a cursory biography of Marie Curie – when she was young, she was unable to go to college because she was a woman, but her scientific work was respected around the world.

March, at least in my part of the world is Women's History Month, which I plan to read one children's book, particularly a biography, which pertains to the subj
Jj
I'm not sure why, but I'm hooked on this series of pretty cute little oversimplified biographies for the young set. This book is a very basic intro to Marie Curie. I realize that means most details will be omitted, but couldn't the author PLEASE have mentioned that she was born and grew up in Poland? Nope, she just tells us, "in her home country, only men were allowed to study." What gives?!?! At least tell us WHERE this is happening.

That said, this is still a nice little super simple way to int
Caitlin
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the life story of famous scientists Marie Curie. The book describes how she became interested in science and how she was the top student in all her classes. She moved away from her country to France so she would be able to continue her studies. The story continues as she becomes the first woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize and the struggle she faced when she lost her husband in a terrible accident.
I loved this book so much. I am always inspired when reading about influential wom
Morgan Robinson
Little People, Big Dreams: Marie Curie is a favorite because it offers children an introduction to a famous female scientist through an interesting and entertaining narrative. In addition to offering an introductory amount of knowledge about Marie Curie, this book also includes beautiful illustrations that add to its charm. This nonfiction picture book would be an excellent addition to a lower primary grade classroom library.

For reading instruction, I believe this book would be an excellent read
Portable
This biography of the life of scientist Marie Curie comes from one of the Little People, Big Dreams series and comes recommended from the Mighty Girls website. The illustrations are vivid and inspiring. Marie's story is great for discussions on standing up for your own ideas - aimed at slightly older than kindergarten age, though the language is simple enough that our K2 students will probably understand as a read aloud. Our K1 students have also been fascinated by the warmth and detail of the i ...more
Katie Miller
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book about Marie Curie was so good! Even when Marie Curie was young, she wanted to be a scientist. When she couldn't go to the same university as her brother, she packed up her things, moved to Paris, and started studying math and science in an all new language. Despite the setback of having to learn everything in a new language, Marie quickly became the best science student in Paris! I would definitely use this story to teach children about how important it is to learn about what they're p ...more
Anna
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Little People, Big Dreams books! They're so informative and great for children. I knew very little about Marie Curie and by little I mean I knew she did something awesome for science, that she was from Poland, and that she is one of my boyfriend's favorite scientists. I had no idea that she won two Nobel Peace Prizes and that she is the only female (yet) to receive two for different subjects. Awesome book! The illustrations are so adorable and I love the timeline at the end of the boo ...more
Jenna Vick
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rding-350
This book talks about how when Marie was a young woman she was not allowed to go to college. When the times changed as she got older, some of her scientific work was well respected around the world. She won a Nobel Prize for physics in the fight against cancer.

I really enjoyed this book. It helps other to see how you can real your goal in life no matter what life throws at you.

This book can be used in the classroom when discussing famous people in history.
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If only I had discovered this series many years ago! If this book is indicative of the rest of the series, this series is geared towards introducing younger children to great women who made history. The simple text and simple yet beautiful illustrations will keep young readers engaged in learning and interested in finding out more. We will be seeking out others from this series!
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andy Hickman
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Marie Curie” by Mª Isabel Sánchez Vegara, Frau Isa (Illustrator)
“When Marie was a little girl, she made a vow to herself... she was going to be a scientist, not a princess.”
Inspirational! Excellent series. Great introduction to (and revision of) significant innovators, pioneers and agents of social change.
Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams)
Paul
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best one in the series I've read so far. Curie's determination, intelligence, and willingness to break the mold make her a subject for the author and illustrator to run with. The inside covers feature the two atomic elements she and her husband discovered, radium and polonium. Like all the other books in the series, the after notes provide extra context, information, and photographs.
JP
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully illustrated.

Powerful.

Engaging for small people.

I am happy to report that my toddler loves these books, and specifically this book.

He is a boy and he will read them all soon.

Thank you for such a wonderful series, and this is an entry in the series that breaks my heart beautifully.

Elizabeth
This cute book on Marie Curie is a nice place to start, but I think in some areas it lacks information, even for the age group targeted. It is a cute intro to her life, although probably not the best out there. Still worth a read for younger children first learning about her. The illustrations are cute too.
Story_Girl
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little People, Big Dreams is such a sweet series of biographies suitable for even very young children but interesting enough for adults too!
I loved Marie Curie's story told through this adorable picture book. The story is inspirational and the illustrations are beautiful. What more could you ask for.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Maya Angelou (Little People, Big Dreams)
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality
  • Noah Webster's Fighting Words
  • Swimming with Sharks: The Daring Discoveries of Eugenie Clark
  • Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles
  • Library on Wheels: Mary Lemist Titcomb and America's First Bookmobile
  • Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race
  • Balderdash!: John Newbery and the Boisterous Birth of Children's Books
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Game Changers: The Story of Venus and Serena Williams
  • Six Dots: A Story of Young Louis Braille
  • Alabama Spitfire: The Story of Harper Lee and To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos
  • Be the Change: A Grandfather Gandhi Story
Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara, born in Barcelona, Spain, is a writer and creative director perhaps best known as the author of much of the Little People, Big Dreams series. Each book tells the childhood story of one of the world's female icons in an entertaining, conversational way that works well for the youngest nonfiction readers, allowing them to identify with the characters in each story.

Pequeña & GRANDE (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Coco Chanel (Little People, Big Dreams, #1)
  • Frida Kahlo (Little People, Big Dreams, #2)
  • Audrey Hepburn (Pequeña & GRANDE, #3)
  • Amelia Earhart
  • Agatha Christie (Pequeña & GRANDE, #5)
  • Ella Fitzgerald (Pequeña & GRANDE, #7)
  • Dian Fossey (Pequeña & GRANDE, #8)
  • Gloria Fuertes (Pequeña & GRANDE, #9)
  • Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)
  • Jane Austen (Pequeña & GRANDE, #11)