Start by marking “Unforgettable: The Bold Flavors of Paula Wolfert's Renegade Life” as Want to Read:
Unforgettable: The Bold Flavors of Paula Wolfert's Renegade Life

Unforgettable: The Bold Flavors of Paula Wolfert's Renegade Life

A biographical cookbook about legendary food authority Paula Wolfert, featuring 50+ of her most unforgettable recipes.
For more on the book's inception, visit unforgettablepaula.com.

"All recipes are, in some way, an exploration of the link between food and memory. We cook the food we remember loving and, in so doing, make new connections and bonds. The amount of love, throu
Published 2017 by M&P

To ask other readers questions about Unforgettable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unforgettable

Mary
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Gist
What the cookbook is: A beguiling biography about the quirky and colorful Paula Wolfert, told through stories, photographs, and recipes.
What the cookbook is not: A run-of-the-mill reference style cookbook.
Who this book is best suited for: Anyone who enjoys reading about colorful, food-loving, memorable pioneers.
Three words to sum it up: My new favorite.

This book had me at “Good food is memory”. It is a theme of Emily Kaiser Thelin‘s biography about Paula Wolfert, wherein the author tells
Sally McComas
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great life story with some of Paula's best recipes. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It's one of those books that you miss your daily contact with, when you have finished.
Phyllis
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a special book - and not an easy one to describe. It contains recipes, all with gorgeous color photos, discusses cooking techniques and ingredients, but is so much more than a cookbook. It can be considered a biography of legendary food authority Paula Wolfert, an amazing and creative woman who researched food, flavors, and recipes from various countries never before explored for their unique dishes. Her enthusiasm for flavors and for preparing food authentically became the impetus for s ...more
Jessica
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking-food
I didn't know what to expect with this book and I will admit I didn't know who Paula Wolfert was either, but after reading this memoir/cookbook I feel like I should have known who she was because she was a pioneer in the food world. The book is organized around her life with recipes at the end of each chapter, but it's not really a cookbook - more of a memoir with recipes included. Wolfert is now suffering from dementia, but cooking and eating bring back many fond memories. Wolfert was living ab ...more
Christina
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I met Paula Wolfert a number of years ago at a conference at the CiA-Greystone. She was inexplicably rude. Now I know why. Dementia is shitty.

Reading this book filled in a wide gap in my knowledge of the American food and food media landscape of the last 50 years. Read "The United States of Arugula," then read this.

While some of these recipes will never make it to my kitchen (they may be good but I currently don't have days, let alone hours to cook a meal, let alone a single dish), I loved rea
Debbi
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Paula Wolfert has had a fascinating life. I found myself wishing this book had been a memoir, sadly the subject is battling Alzheimer's disease. I am reminded of how difficult it is to write a biography of a living subject. This book is a description of events in the life of an extraordinary woman yet I was never immersed in her story or in the incredible places Wolfert travelled. The author seemed like she didn't want to delve too deeply into any sensitive subjects. I'm glad however Paula's sto ...more
Marjorie
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paula led a very interesting and full life which I enjoyed reading about. I also found her recipes interesting and will prepare some of them. She was/is hard working and determined. Now she is struggling with either dementia or Alzheimer's disease. She is, through sheer grit, slowing that down as long as possible. Anyone reading this book, full of coloured pictures, will wish her the best possible outcome on yet another journey.
Ambur Taft
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The recipes are pretty intense, as far as procuring ingredients and work load, but they are lovely.
The story of Paula Wolfert’s life is fantastic. And the information on Dementia and foods that can help and hurt is great, especially connecting with loved ones with dementia through cooking and flavors.
Paula
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a nicely written, somewhat nostalgic biography of Chef Paula Wolfert, who at 78 is living in California and suffering from dementia. The books chronicles her adventuresome life, her fascinating professional path, and deals with her issues of aging and dementia. It includes recipes from each period - and international destination - of her life. I enjoyed the narrative - and the recipes.
Eden
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wholly enjoyable collection of memories, photos, and delicious (!) recipes from food writer Paula Wolfert, set against her dementia diagnosis in her late 60's - a sort of curated potpourri of her approach to life, told by a good friend and fellow food writer, against the ticking clock of lost memories.
Ethnea Ferguson
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Paula Wolfert is truly amazing...traveling all over the world to discover food, recipes, cooking methods...she was unstoppable. I used to subscribe to Food & Wine magazine, and I remember her articles - a combination of travel, exotic places and recipes!
Walter Underwood
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some of the recipes are very challenging, some are approachable, and all look delicious. But the heart of this book is Paula's life, and what a life. I'd try and summarize it, but the story is in the texture.
Robin Case
More stories than food

Nice photos of the food, but mostly the book is stories. A little short on recipes. Altogether an OK but not exceptional book
Linda
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5
Melissa
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, culinary
A poignant read, as Paula struggles with dementia and the loss of self after a lifetime of culinary discovery. Her wonder at the joy of eating delicious food should inspire us all.
Nancy
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful food pictures and great to learn about this fascinating, intrepid woman -- but not a compelling read.
Susan Sherman
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book. I love how Paula Wolfert was to cook and love food by her grandmother. She was instilled with memories that continue to be cooked up in her kitchen
Linda
Apr 27, 2017
Emily
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Nancy

• Buvette: The Pleasure of Good Food
  • Feast: Food of the Islamic World
  • More Home Cooking: A Writer Returns to the Kitchen
  • Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Matrix: More Than 700 Simple Recipes and Techniques to Mix and Match for Endless Possibilities
  • Taste & Technique: Recipes to Elevate Your Home Cooking
  • Dinner: Changing the Game
  • Tasting Rome: Fresh Flavors and Forgotten Recipes from an Ancient City
  • Craig Claiborne and the American Food Renaissance: The Turbulent Life and Fine Times of the Man Who Changed the Way We Eat
  • The City Homesteader: Self-Sufficiency on Any Square Footage
  • My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking
  • The Book of Greens: A Cook's Compendium of 40 Varieties, from Arugula to Watercress, with More Than 175 Recipes
  • Seductions of Rice