Start by marking “The Fairy Boy of Calton Hill (The Fairy Boy Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fairy Boy of Calton Hill (The Fairy Boy Chronicles, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Fairy Boy of Calton Hill (The Fairy Boy Chronicles #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
For fans of Peter Pan and Harry Potter comes a story like no other...

'An enchanting fantasy novel. A mesmerizing and breathtaking treat for the imagination.'

Would you accept a mysterious fairy creature's invitation to see her fantastical yet troubled world even if it meant giving up everything you ever cared for?

'Meet the New Peter Pan for the Harry Potter Generation' Good
Published March 17th 2017 by Paul Thomas Publishing (first published December 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy Boy of Calton Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy Boy of Calton Hill

Bradley
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Missing a bit of magic in your life?

Whether or not you're Scottish doesn't really matter, but if you like a taste of the highlands, with its rich fairyland hiding right below a hill on the edge of your suburbia, then this is surely going to delight.

We spend a lot of time in both the real world and our Fae otherland, with dragons, the little people, and a very nice setup that explains the reason why the doors to the Fae have mostly been closed, the history that used to belong to both our peoples,
Chesca
ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

The Fairy Boy of Calton Hill is a magical tale by Sean-Paul Thomas. It is about Liam, a boy who recently lost his father, Lucy, the new Irish girl across the street, and a curious fairy named G. The story is set in Edinburgh, Scotland, mostly on Calton Hill, a legendary and historical spot.

G, the little curious creature, wanted to visit the world of humans. But the fairies believed that if one of them would go through the bar
Dana Ilie
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book is for readers aged 12 and over. Many can think of it as a children's book, but you're never too old for such a story. I knew it was a book for a younger audience and I appreciated it from this perspective.
In short, Liam, an Edinburgh teenager arrives in the magical realms of fairies with the help of a fairy called G. Here he discovers fantastic animals: unicorns, dragons and fire wolves, and find out from G that in th
Christie
Wow that book got good! I am usually not a fan of cliffhangers, but I am desperate to get my hand on the next book, as so much happened in this one. It is definitely juvenile at times, and clearly designed for the 11 -15 age group, but it also got quite dark and had some really sophisticated twists throughout.
G was a great character, a fairy aware of the oppressive nature of her kingdom, who is determined to reach out to the human world. She is inquisitive, funny and quite powerful. Liam is a b
Brittany
The intro was a bit slow and held too much dialogue for me, especially jumping into the Scottish lingo. Envisioning someone soaking in a Celtic accent definitely helped. I had the hardest time with the word "ken" which I could only assume meant "know".
Other than that, the book was fantastic the final 3/4. the pace quickened, the Fairy land and created creatures were fun to read. Darker events definitely escalated quickly, wasn't expecting things to go So far so fast. I will definitely be readin
Eunice
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I got a copy of this from For Love of a Book Group in exchange of an honest review (and I’m grateful for that). :)

Since this is in exchange of an honest review I’m not gonna hold bars in telling that I don’t like it. It’s 3 stars for me though. There are just certain points why I only gave it 3 stars.

This time I’m gonna make it a list-type to be perceptible.

Let’s go first to those things that went wrong (for me). XP

1. It’s kinda cliché. The story is predictable and it’s actually the same with
Ailyn
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have gotten this book because it was free, and I have read the author before. This time, it is a YA adventure with a mix of mystery. Liam Rankin is the protagonist of the book, and befriends Lucy who moved to the house opposite him. Aside from Lucy, Liam has a new friend, who introduced him to new worlds.
As book one of the series, The Fairy Boy of Calton Hill serves as a strong start to an interesting story. I would love to see the characters grow.
MichelleG
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*

The Fairy Boy of Carlton Hill is the story of Liam and his adventures with "G" his fairy friend, and Lucy his next door neighbour. The story is set in Edinburgh, Scotland and centres around Carlton Hill - a mystical portal between the rhelms of the fairies and humans.

Liam at 13 years old is a self confessed average normal kid, he goes to school, is bullied by the local thugs and his mum is a depressed chain smoking drunk (after losing the lo
 Alli
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA, 12-17year old, Fantasy, Fairy lore
Recommended to Alli by: For love of a Book
This book was an enjoyable and easy enough read. I have rated it as 3.5 to 4 stars as some of the dialogue was lost in translation - and there was quite a lot of dialogue due to being written in 3rd person -also with the characters having either Scottish or Irish accents for parts confused the matter. Where throwing the word 'wee' in to indicate a Scottish accent then 'lad' to indicate the Irish accent and then there were other characters where if you have not had experience chatting to a Scotsm ...more
Ankit Gupta
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the fairy tales that I came across comprised almost similar story with a fairy and human companion as the protagonist, fighting with the evil of their world. But this book was different.
It felt more like a beautiful blend of thriller, romance and a fairy tale, staged in a rather dark environment. First half of the book was relatively less captivating, but the second half was exquisitely riveting.
Scottish accent was a bit difficult to follow,but for remaining most of the part it was smoo
mk
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I really enjoyed The Fairy Boy Of Calton Hill by Sean-Paul Thomas and I can’t wait for the second part. Edinburgh is described in such a way that one can feel he/she is there. I loved the fairy world, although it turned out to be more unfriendly and dangerous than it seemed to be at the beginning. I may not be so young anymore but I still like to believe that fairies exist somewhere in this world. And this book makes it very easy to believe that they really do.

I think that this is a great story
Stephanie
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to read this book, in exchange i will give my honest review.

I find this book tell the interesting fairy tales story. Its about the young man named Liam find the true about fairy things from the fairy named G. Fairy land and all the life creatures living there are so fantastic. I can make the picture in my mind when i read the story.
Beautiful fairy tale with the dark and thriller side.

One thing leak is too many conversation getting there and the lingo really c
Mariah
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took a little bit of time to get into, but started getting more enjoyable half way through. I do enjoy the fact that it was an easy read. The ending was so good! I normally don't enjoy cliffhangers, but now I want to read the next book. I hope it is better than this one, since the beginning was slow. The book felt like I was above the target age. It was meant for someone much younger.

It'll be interesting to see how the next book goes!
Maria Stallings
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and found it sweet and captivating with an element of darkness. Though intended for a mature child it easily held my adult interest. Somewhat formulaic with the main character a lonely 13 year old boy yearning for the new girl who moves in the house across the way, the basic plot line goes deeper than this and respects that children do understand and are fascinated or terrified of things that can or do go wrong .
The boy Liam, has lost his Dad and his mother is an alcoholic w
Louise Carlson Stowell
WOW! What a wonderful fantasy set in Edinburgh, Scotland. From the moment I began to read about Liam and his world I was hooked. I loved the tenderness of he and Lucy. G is a remarkable fairy that enters Liam's life and what a unique and amazing adventure they have exploring each others worlds...until the King and his Wizard enter the picture. And then the suspenseful part of the adventure begins...how both our world and the world of fairy depend upon each other.

Beautifully written and easy to r
Lisa-Jaine
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed this Young Adult tale of Liam a teenager who meets G a fairy and what happens when they become friends and their worlds collide. Features light and dark moments and is pure escapism. The author depicts Edinburgh so vividly I almost felt I was there. I await part two eagerly.

Kelley
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute book. More aimed towards adolescents then adults. I loved the relationship between Liam and G. Definitely a book about adventure!!
Becca Edney
RachelvlehcaR
I didn't really know what to expect with 'The Fairy Boy of Calton Hill'. So, it ended up being a surprise (that's what you get when you don't read the synopsis of the book.) It's a young adult fantasy book that takes places in Edinburgh, Scotland. The author, Sean-Paul Thomas is from Scotland and there is some Scottish slag and terms that are tossed around but I had no issues with it at all. I actually really enjoyed those parts. Almost two decades ago I made some Scottish friends that opened my ...more
Denise
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was glad to receive a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review!

Do you still believe in fairies?

I suppose all of us have, for some time in our lives, believed in them, in their world, how did they live in there, what did they eat, etc. But as our lives go by, we just stop thinking about these worlds and creatures as we are concerned about our own existence.

Liam, a teenager, was absorbed in his own miserable life after his fathers passing and his mothers inability to move forward, meets
Melissa Souza
3.5 stars!!!

I'd like to point out first that this book is part of series. I honestly had no idea when I got it first. I thought it was a standalone. Also, I would tag this as more of a middle-grade read as opposed to a YA because many of the elements came across as more childish. However, the language is more YA than middle-grade. Overall, I would say the beginning of the book was slow and a bit hard to get through. I enjoyed the latter part. There is insta-love in this book which I found cute a
Fefe
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time finishing this book, it was really hard to get to the middle, even that I enjoy fantasy more than anything I wasn't really sure how to feel with the course of the history. But after some events which I don't want to spoil, action took place. Liam and Lucy were good characters, but even at the end I didn't feel really attach to them. Actually, I was more interested about G's situation.

The way he describes the landscapes was really refreshing, I felt really amused by colorful gr
candybookzilla
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Looking for Magical creatures? Adventures? Friendships? plus the Scottish atmosphere? Well its all in this book written by Mr. Sean Paul Thomas ".

I liked it because of the magical atmosphere that it gave me especially when the Author is describing the fairy world where G (fairy) came from. I loved the different creatures introduced during the adventure of Liam and his company. The first part bore me just a little but as I go through the story I changed my mind about that "bore" part. Also, I li
Youness Ed
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book , by Sean Paul Thomas , it's a fictional book talks about a fairy tale story,
the story of a teenage boy Liam and his marvelous adventure in the magical world with the fairy G , and also it describes the beautiful historical landmarks of Edinburgh.
I liked some of the weird creatures like the rainbow dragon Narka and the fire wolves)), and I was really confusing with the Scottish lingo and that's why I gave it 4 stars))

I received a PDF copy of this book from the group:
Tiffany Heywood
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed this book. I love how it is set in the United Kingdom as that i where i live and love reading books in this setting and how liam liked to read as you don't see many characters who like reading in books nowadays. I loved when the fairy G was introduced and How quickly Liam feel in love. This story was very imaginative which i loved. there was a lot of dialogue which is why i mainly gave it 4 but i didnt mind it. It was written for the teenage age bracket i would say.

I was given this bo
Phil
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was a bit apprehensive as to whether a tale involving fairy's would be my cup of tea, but the author has met a balance of believability and anticipation to keep that book in front of your eyes to see where the story goes next.

I look forward to Liam and G's (the fairy)'s adventures on the ship with the sinister Captain and to learn of Lucy's fate in the second book.

Definitely worth reading.
Danielle
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

First I think if I was between 12-18 I would have connected more with the story and therefor will suggest it to my nieces and nephews.

I've only recently started enjoying fantasy and was excited to try another one. I enjoyed this book and would/will read the next one.
Winter Sophia Rose
Dark, Beautiful, Intriguing & Charming! An Excellent Read! I Loved It!
Stacey Kennedy
I received this copy from For Love of a Book in return for an honest review.
Warning- Spoiler and Insta-love alert!!

I am glad other people like this book and rated it higher, because it is a cute and benign book. It is well written and edited, almost following a formulary from a high school fiction writing class. After sleeping on it and wondering why I did not like it, the word that stands out for me is 'disconnect'.

I was disconnected and somewhat confused about this story the whole way through
Linda
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m giving this book a 2.5.

The book started off terribly for me. I really needed to force myself into reading the first few chapters. But then it was able to capture my attention, and I did surprisingly finish it in 2 days. The only thing that would keep pestering me at the back of my mind was how this book is not really aimed for adults, and would be quite a good read for a younger audience.

Since the characters are from Scotland, the Scottish vibe is given perfectly. All the dialogues and ever
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The First Chronicles Of Prydain (The Chronicles of Prydain #1-3)
  • I Text Dead People
  • Ashwood
  • The Sword and the Satchel (World of the Alfar, #1)
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • No Hero
  • Broken Dolls (Broken Dolls, #1)
  • The Devil and Winnie Flynn
  • Air, Volume 1: Letters from Lost Countries
  • Freakling (Psi Chronicles, #1)
  • Clueless McGee
  • The Bones and the Book
  • The 13 Best Horror Stories of All Time
  • Wonder Tales: Six French Stories of Enchantment
  • Gestalt Hospital
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn (Heavenly Nostrils, #1)
  • The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
  • Unter Haien
Sean is an author from Edinburgh in Scotland. He spent most of his childhood and teenage years on the move with his Scottish and Irish Parents (No they weren't bank robbers ;) growing up in the likes of Cyprus, Germany, Wales and England, as an army brat.

With a keen interest in both reading and writing, he was diagnosed with the travel and writing bugs very early on in life. Now, writing, travelin
More about Sean-Paul Thomas

The Fairy Boy Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Fairy Boy of Calton Hill 2 (The Fairy Boy Chronicles, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)