Start by marking “Girl in a Bad Place” as Want to Read:
Girl in a Bad Place

Girl in a Bad Place

Mailee and Cara take care of each other. Mailee is the star of the high school plays; Cara is the stage manager. Mailee can't keep her life together; Cara has enough organizational skills for the both of them.

So when the girls are invited to visit the Haven, a commune in the mountains near their suburban Montana homes, it seems like an adventure. Until Cara sta
Published October 31st 2017 by Point

To ask other readers questions about Girl in a Bad Place, please sign up.
Katie B.
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Girl in a Bad Place
jv poore
Commune. A calm word, calling forth images of folks immersed in wilderness; frolicking with forest creatures, blissfully coexisting with Mother Nature. Idyllic, sure; but Mailee certainly didn’t anticipate the sad-looking metal shacks she saw upon arriving at the Haven. No matter how odd and uncharacteristic the visit to this remote area may be; she is determined to be positive; after all, this peculiarity is the only thing Cara has shown interest in all summer.

Mailee never expected a super-cel
Suzi Evelyn
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hey, do you like cults? If the answer to that is a big, fat YES in all caps and highlighted in yellow, then this is the book for you.

Girl in a Bad Place is a thriller that, though not the most well written, is very entertaining... and about a cult. Raise your hand if that's not something you read everyday (*raises hand*). Personally, I really liked that it focused on such an unusual, though interesting topic, and I praise the author for choosing something original.

Aside from that, though, noth/>Girl
Faseeh Ilahi
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Kelly Gunderman
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Check out this, other reviews, and more fun bookish things on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

***Actual Rating: 3.5/5 Stars***

Girl in a Bad Place is one of those fantastic, heart pounding sounding stories about a teenage girl who gets sucked into a cult and doesn't seem to understand exactly what is going on or what she has gotten herself into. It's a story full of friendship, mystery, and a thriller, all wrapped up into a fun book that you'll want to read through all in one sitting.

Girl in a/>Girl/>
Elitzia O
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book kept you thinking all throughout. I do wish the author would have "hid" the truth better because you do see the ending coming. But overall it was very suspenseful and a good read.
Katie B.
Nov 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: High School or older
Addy
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is literally AMAZING!!! It keeps you on the edge of your seat because you think one thing's gonna happen but something TOTALLY different ends up happening instead. I would recommend this book to anyone who'd be willing to read it!
Izzy  P.
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a really good book and I couldn't put it down! It was super suspenseful and I enjoyed it. It was a shorter, quicker read.
Stephanie A.
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I came for a sensationalist thriller, and while that's in there, this is mostly a story about two best friends and a schism growing between them in such a devastating way I almost cried reading it. Everything felt so real, and the fact that Mailee was watching her lifelong best friend pull away through no fault of her own and not even really in a way where you could pinpoint how to stop it made me feel as helpless as she was. Their friendship was SO GOOD, and I know this because I bonded with th ...more
Shayne Bauer
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The message behind this book is certainly valuable: be aware of what you are getting into and don't be too trusting of strangers. All teen girls should know this. However, the premise of the book is SO unrealistic. A senior in high school drops everything in her near perfect life to join a commune? Yeah, no one is going to relate to this.

I definitely enjoyed the writing, but I still can't get over the content.
Divya J.
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh. My. God. I started reading and couldn't put the book down. This book had a creepy vibe throughout the whole story and for some reason, I enjoyed that. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes mysteries. Loved it.
Kim
Despite having one of the worst titles ever, the book wasn't terrible. Not a ringing endorsement but the main character was likable enough. The girls definitely needed a librarian in their life who could teach them to think critically and verify information.
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pretty solid YA adventure read with a nice female friendship through-line.
marti
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
as much as i enjoyed the concept and details of this book, there were a few parts that didn’t go straight into appealing my little book-loving heart and mind. i love the story, however, and all stories that involve cults can take an interesting turn, but this particular story confused me a little bit. as good of a plot twist that it had towards the end, it struck me as kind of weird. now, it’s hard to explain, but this book is recommended to you readers from me, but keep in mind it isn’t the mos ...more
Abby Young
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
** spoiler alert ** The book "Girl in a Bad Place" is a novel written by Kaitlin Ward. The two main characters of this book (Mailee and Cara) are two best friends who live a normal teenage life, about to go into their senior year of high school. Mailee is an aspiring actor, and Cara just helps on the side. Mailee and Cara were too peas in a pod, never separated. They even made a scrap book about what they plan on doing in the future. However, something is holding them back from that accomplishme ...more
Aiden Grad
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is about two best friends, Mailee and Cara they do everything together they are like sisters. Cara decides to take Mailee to a haven that is all natural and organic. That trip was supposed t be a one time deal but Cara keeps visiting. Cara lets this haven come into her life but the haven becomes more like a cult as Mailee learns more about it. Cara lets this be in her life too much and decides to move to the haven. Mailee thinks this is a bad idea. She might be right. This book is very ...more
Katherine :)
(Gonna give a quick review on this since I’m just trying to review every book I read this year.) Just woah. The whole cult thing in this book took me by surprise. It was quite scary and took me through a rollercoaster of fear. Some of it was more rushed than others and somewhat unrealistic. But, it was still a cool read.
Maddie
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome Book! This book really made my heart race! I would definitely recommend this book!
Jo Anna
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 out of 5 Stars

"When things end, there's supposed to be a reason. A catalyst. Something you can look back on later when you need an explanation. Even if it doesn't make you feel any better."

Overview

Let me preface this review by saying that my copy of Girl in a Bad Place is an uncorrected proof, so I am sure there were things in this version that were cut out of the finalized piece.

Mailee and Cara are best friends. Like, the BEST of best friends. Cara is an organized, down-to-earth, and skeptical girl d/>Let/>
"When
Ellie
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No, I don’t have any experience with cults or anything like that unless you count reading the vaguely similar YA My Life With the Liars. This was even better. I’ve read it twice and was willing to spend 11 dollars on an ebook this once.
First of all, it kinda creeped me out how similar I was to Mailee, the main character. For the longest time I didn't like the name Mailee, but now it’s one of my favorites thanks to this book. Mailee and I both love acting, we both have trouble getting things tog
Andrew Georgy-Embree
Name: Erika
Book Title: Girl In a Bad Place
Author: Kaitlin Ward
Publisher: Scholastic Inc
Copyright Date: 2017
Number of Pages: 260

Setting
The time of year at the beginning of Girl in a Bad Place is summer. Halfway through the book is fall. The action takes place in the commune, the mall, and the bedroom.

Characters
The main characters in girl in a bad place are Miley and Cara. In the story the characters are semi believable. There is a little girl named Avalon
Lauren
This book certainly has an engaging premise, and I think it handles the theme of indoctrination pretty deftly. I also appreciated the strong message that girls don't "owe" guys sex, just because they've been dating for a certain amount of time. I think the book did a pretty good job at capturing the specific fears of senior year of high school, albeit with some extreme circumstances.

Okay, so much for the good stuff. For the most part, this novel was surprisingly boring. For a book about a girl
Amy
So this was a solid middle grade appropriate mystery/thriller. Mailee and Cara have been friends forever, but things have started to change between them. It has gotten more and more strained ever since the death of Cara's younger sister two years ago. And now, one random day at the mall, they meet Alexa and her daughter Avalon, two people from the nearby commune The Haven. Cara spends more and more time there, becoming entrenched in the community and distances herself from Mailee. Mailee wants t ...more
Jen
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Mailee and Cara have been best friends forever. Now, entering their senior year of high school, Mailee is ready to follow the life plan they've established, her to become an actress and Cara a set designer. But, Cara has become fascinated with the Haven commune in the mountains near their hometown.

After meeting Alexa and her daughter Avalon, Cara and Mailee are invited to the Haven and while Mailee is skeptical, Cara is immediately engaged. As Cara spends more and more time at the Ha
Ms.
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Mailee never saw the attraction to Firehorse, or the Haven for that matter. Firehorse seemed a little creepy to her. But Cara, her BFF, sure got caught up in it. Maybe it was because of the little girl who reminded Mailee a little bit of Cara's little sister who died last year. Maybe it was because Cara's family life was falling apart now. Her parents hardly ever spoke to each other. Maybe it was because Cara's boyfriend just dumped her. Cara usually had no more interest in the great outdoors th ...more
Lara
Oct 31, 2019 added it
Girl in a Bad Place is a mystery and fiction book by Kaitlin Ward. This book is about two best friends Mailee and Cara. Mailee is an organized girl while Cara is very disorganization. so they go together very well. But Mailee's life would change forever after she learned that her sister died in a car crash. Their family fell apart and her life pretty much fell apart. But then Mailee went to a Haven and she really liked it. But Cara found some weird things in the Haven and she doesn't approve of ...more
Helena
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Riley
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In "Girl in a Bad Place," the major setting was the commune, Mailee told the story from her point of view. The major characters are Mailee's boyfriend, Gavin, and her best friend, Cara. The main tone is action. The central conflict is trying to figure out Firehorses secrets, Mailee steps up to the plate to try and figure out whats going.
The book was very entertaining along with informative. It made sure you knew whats going on by being very descriptive and the action was very entertaining. The
Cookiebowl
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Personally, this was a very suspenseful and exciting book for me. I think it’s better suited for mature or 13+ readers. (there is discussion of (view spoiler)) and (view spoiler)) Friendship, trust, learning experiences, etc. are vital and can teach a lesson to us.

Mailee and Cara have always been together. Mailee’s the actor, and Cara is the stage manager. They’re best friends
Amy
Apr 03, 2018 added it
I found this book in my personal libary and I have had an interest in this book the day I got it but I never had the chance to really read it because I thought I would get disapointed in I found that it wasn't as interesting is it was found to be. I have lately been into murder mysteries and this book fell into that catagory for me.

I liked this book a lot because it had me me reading as if i was watching this come to life. What I didn't like about this book is that in the begging I thought this
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Whenever I'm with You
  • Wild Lily
  • Velocity
  • Tales From My Closet
  • Young Man with Camera
  • Cloudforest (Cloudforest, #1)
  • Eden Summer
  • Destined (Fates #0.5)
  • Freaks
  • Dead in the Water (World War II, #2)
  • Courage & Defiance: Stories of Spies, Saboteurs, and Survivors in World War II Denmark
  • Wake the Hollow
  • Surfacing
  • Disappeared (Disappeared, #1)
  • I Heart Band (I Heart Band #1)
  • R.I.P. Eliza Hart
  • Ghosts of Belle Isle (The Virginia Mysteries #3)
  • Melody Jackson and the House on Lafayette Street