Start by marking “The Killing House (Paula Maguire, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Killing House (Paula Maguire, #6)

The Killing House

(Paula Maguire #6)

When a puzzling missing persons' case opens up in her hometown, forensic psychologist Paula Maguire can't help but return once more.

Renovations at an abandoned farm have uncovered two bodies: a man known to be an IRA member missing since the nineties, and a young girl whose identity remains a mystery.

As Paula attempts to discover who the girl is and why no one is looking f
Published March 22nd 2018 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Killing House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killing House

Miriam Smith
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookbridgr
"The Killing House" by Claire McGowan is the sixth in the forensic psychologist Paula Maguire series and includes the satisfying and shocking conclusion to Paula's past history. Although I haven't read any in this series there was enough information to bring me up to full speed and I felt very attached to Paula by the end of the book, even though this was my first encounter with her.
When two bodies are discovered while renovations are being carried out at a farm, their identities remain a myster
Liz Barnsley
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant “conclusion” to Paula Maguire’s journey. A genuinely compelling and thought provoking series overall and this one had me on the edge of my seat to find out if Paula would get her happy ending. Y’all better read to find out..

From the first book to this book, the stories have been absolutely gripping – each separate mystery brilliantly plotted and compelling – throughout though has been the thread of loss- what did happen to Paula’s mother? Every book has had a moving forward of sorts,
Miss M
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bookread2day
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
So here it is the last Paula Maguire. Claire McGowan does add that's it from Paula for the next time being at least and thanks for following her on this six year journey with Claire.
Elaine Tomasso
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Netgalley and Headline for an advance copy of The Killing House, the sixth and possibly final novel to feature forensic psychologist and missing person expert Dr Paula Maguire.

Paula is bored in her new job in London and jumps at the chance to consult with her old team when she returns to Ballyterrin for a wedding. DI Helen Corry has an interesting proposition for her, instead of finding a missing person she uses her skills to identify bones that have been found on a local f
Christine
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Killing House is the sixth and final instalment of the Paula Maguire series. It is hard to believe that it has come to an end. After this book, there will be no more Paula Maguire, forensic psychologist and expert on missing persons. Imagine no more Paula/Guy/Aidan love triangle. Plus we will finally have the answer to the mystery of Margaret Maguire.

The most impressive thing about this series has been the insight we have had into life during the Troubles, in Northern Ireland. We have seen h
Bruce Hatton
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: irish-crime
In this, the 6th and final novel of this compelling series, it is eventually revealed what happened the Doctor Paula Maguire’s mother Margaret back in 1993. This is the central mystery which has run like a leitmotif throughout the previous five books.
Before that, Paula has more recent problems to deal with. There is the discovery of two bodies buried by an abandoned farmhouse; one of them that of a teenage girl. Also, despite it being almost 20 years since the ceasefire and Good Friday Agreement
Kate
And so this wonderful series ends and it finishes brilliantly. Without doubt this is my favourite. I've been longing to see how this would resolve. You do need to have read the others first and you'll be fully rewarded. Review to follow on For Winter Nights shortly.
Clare
With thanks to Netgalley and Headline for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

I had the Dr Paula Maguire series on my TBR list for sometime. Last year I listened to the whole series in one go so I really felt I knew the characters. If you have never read this series I would suggest you start with the first book The Lost to understand the characters and their relationships.

At the moment The Killing House will be the final book in the series. Although the author hinted Paula may ret
Roman Clodia
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve been following this series from the start and can say that this is the best of the six books. McGowan has always been superb at conjuring up the legacy of the Troubles in Northern Ireland, and this book, especially, deals with the politics of the peace process in a knowledgeable and sophisticated fashion.

In the foreground are characters and families traumatised and torn apart by their history, trying to build and re-build lives shattered by violence. For all that, Paula has been an inconsi
Simona
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic finish to Book 6 - the final in the Paula Macquire series
Cleo Bannister
For the sixth episode in this series set on the border between North and South Ireland Paula Maguire returns to Ballyterrin from her new London home for a wedding. Home to where her determination to discover more about her mother’s disappearance when she was just a teenager are strongest.

This is the best series about ‘The Troubles’ that I have read. Paula Maguire’s personal story along with those of her friends, including Aiden whose father was shot dead when he hid under a table as a young boy,
Vicki - I Love Reading
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
I have read and enjoyed all 6 books in the Paula Maguire series. It's been a great journey with her.
Book 6 is just as good, if not better than the others. I felt this time around one or two things were settled. Although there certainly is scope for a lot more of Paula Maguire, her character is first class. She's by no means perfect, yet wants to do the right thing, most of the time. She has a knack of getting herself into quite a bit of trouble at times.

After moving to London to start a new li
Julie Lacey
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I requested this book from NetGalley I didn’t realise it was book 6 in the series but I think there’s enough background information given for this book to be read as a stand-alone.
I really liked this book and Paula’s character is hard not to like.
Paula has been working in London for a while but she’s asked to go back to Ireland as some bodies have been found buried at a farm.
The big pull for Paula is that her mum has been missing since she was a girl and she’s desperate to know if she’s o
Craig Sisterson
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, ireland
There's some pretty terrific crime writing coming out of Ireland in recent times (Northern and Republic), and Claire McGowan's series featuring forensic psychologist Paula Maguire have become among my most highly recommended. It's an outstanding, must-read series set against the ongoing shadow cast by the Troubles - thirty years of sectarian violence that cost thousands of lives and left tens of thousands maimed and injured. McGowan grew up among the rural landscapes of a small village in Northe ...more
Clare
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Paula Maguire series enters its sixth book and while I feel there’s plenty of legs left in it, author Claire McGowan has taken the understandable decision to make this the last Maguire book. I’ve become really attached to these characters and I’m really going to miss them. The book opens with Paula in London, doing mainly paperwork behind a desk, her life having fallen into some kind of normalcy. The pull of Ballyterrin is strong, however, and Paula finds herself heading back to investigate ...more
Audrey
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brit-grit, ireland
This last entry in the Paula Maguire series is maybe not my favorite, but it is certainly very good and it brings an uneasy and uncomfortable -- yet fitting -- closure.

The series began with Paula solving mysteries while being someone dealing with fallout from The Troubles, and even while we were reading really well-written and interesting standalone mysteries, the tide was inexorably turning, so by the time we get to this installment, the series focuses squarely on fallout from The Troubles, and
Sam
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A satisfying conclusion to this series of books. Really enjoyed this one.
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Killing House is the ultimate novel in the Forensic Pathologist Paula Maguire series. It is the novel where Paula’s past will finally be revealed. The novel surrounds a case involving human remains found in Paula’s native Ireland. Remains that will link right into the heart of Paula’s past and the disappearance of her mother.
Due to the relevance of Paula’s mother there are various scenes from 1983; building up to her eventual disappearance.
You are in for a rollercoaster of a ride!!!!

‘No on
Mary Crawford
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The final book in the series and we finally find out what happened to Paula’s mum. Paula comes back home for a wedding and to help out on a case where two bodies have been found. Aidan is still in prison and refusing visits from her. The trauma of the disappeared is well done but the tying up of the loose ends for Paula and her friends is speedy and a bit too simplistic. Have enjoyed reading the series.
Martine Letterie
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mooie afsluiting van de serie over Paula Maguire.
Barbara
Kath
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the sixth book in this series and almost certainly the last so not really the best book to go in to cold. It basically ties up a lot of the loose ends that have been floating round since book one so, to get the best from it, and indeed the whole series should you want to read them too, I would strongly recommend you start from the beginning and read in order.
Paula is back in London and to be honest she's a bit bored. Due to go back home to attend a wedding, she jumps at the chance to go
Tara Russell
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, fiction, netgalley
A vivid and atmospheric book, continuing the arc of the story of Dr Paula Maguire, psychologist and expert in missing persons. Settled back in London, Paula is called to Ballyterrin, Northern Ireland, where her ex- boss has a dead body but no corresponding missing person...

The book is a great mixture of mystery, character development and delves into the psyche of modern Northern Ireland, where the Troubles still aren’t that far away in the past.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in ex
Pen & Ink Reviews
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Killing House by Claire McGowan is the sixth and final installment in the Paula Maguire series. The titular character, a forensic psychologist and missing persons expert, is drawn back home to Ballyterrin and becomes involved in a mystery that hits devastatingly close to home.

This is the first book I have read by Ms. McGowan, and while the tale stands on its own, the mystery of Paula’s long-missing mother has been a common thread throughout the series. Here, it is drawn to a gripping conclu
Ria
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Claire McGowan for concluding the Paula Maguire series in such a believable and consistent way.....I thought at one point we might get a # 7 out of this, but I think I'm with you in that this is it for Paula....she's had a good run and although you've left it that there could be some more dramas on the horizon for her and those she cares about, I think I'd like to keep the memory of her happy...she certainly deserves it.
Noel
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction, irish
Probably my favourite of all these books, so much more stronger than the last few. Much more focused and coherent plot. Decent way to end the series and finally getting rid of so much of the unnecessarily side plots that dragged so much of the series down. With that done would be happy to see the protagonist come back again sometime in the future.
Áine
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stunning, Mc Gowan goes from strength to strength as does this series. So many long running series get a bit lost, that's certainly not the case here. My family lost me for the hours it took me to read this.
Tracey S Choat
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the whole series

I'm sad for this series to end. Start with book 1 then read each book in order to understand the story. I enjoyed learning about Ireland's problems and solutions.
Creasy
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing

• The Amulet (The Midnight Eye Files Book 1)
  • Blood Symmetry (Alice Quentin, #5)
  • The Shout
  • Dying Breath (Detective Lucy Harwin, #2)
  • Hunted (DS Heckenburg, #5)
  • Thicker Than Blood - The Complete Andrew Z. Thomas Series
  • Skin and Bones
  • The Silent Girls (Detective Anna Gwynne, #1)
  • Sleeping Beauties (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #3)
  • Merciless (DI Kate Fletcher #2)
  • Sawbones (Most Wanted)
  • The Shadow Cartel (Dominic Grey, #4)
  • The Bone Keeper
  • Drungi (Hidden Iceland #2)
  • The Hanged Man (The Bone Field #2)
  • Asylum (Martine LeDuc, #1)
  • The Death of an Irish Politician (Peter McGarr, #1)
  • The Faceless One
Claire McGowan grew up in a small village in Northern Ireland. After a degree in English and French from Oxford University she moved to London and worked in the charity sector. THE FALL is her first novel, which is followed by a series starring forensic psychologist Paula Maguire. She also writes as Eva Woods.

Paula Maguire (6 books)
  • The Lost (Paula McGuire, #1)
  • The Dead Ground (Paula McGuire, #2)
  • The Silent Dead (Paula Maguire, #3)
  • A Savage Hunger (Paula Maguire, #4)
  • Blood Tide (Paula Maguire, #5)