Start by marking “Disconnected” as Want to Read:
Disconnected

Disconnected

***** SciFi Thriller *****
What if you found a way to compel someone to support your own ambitions?
But, all the while, this newly devoted follower continued to believe their own free will was intact?
Political advisor, Asha Kharjal, has mastered the mysterious science of directly manipulating the subconscious.
He can literally rewire us.
And for the good of mankind, he’s going
Published March 23rd 2017 by Nick M Lloyd

To ask other readers questions about Disconnected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disconnected

Start your review of Disconnected
Faith Jones
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I’ve read this book without forming a strong opinion one way or another, so haven’t been conclusively won over. Perhaps it’s because I’ve read and reviewed several sci-fi novels in 2017 which hinge on tele-psychic abilities to manipulate others into doing what the control freak wants (Psionik, The Wolfe Experiment, Netwalking Space and The REM Effect) and that could mean I’m a little jaded by this sub-genre and hunting around for something new to say about it.

This story has been set in two parts
Angela Kay
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This was definitely an interesting book. It wasn't what I expected by any means. Asha Kharjal is a political advisor who knows how to rewire people's subconscious and he'll stop at nothing to so. He's not the villain in the book. Asha attempts to do good with his skills, but like any decent story, he falls into hot water.

This is a very technical story, much like the writings of Michael Crichton. Since I don't have a technical mind, I couldn't grasp a good deal of it. There wasn't a lot of explan
Larissa
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Disconnected has an incredibly interesting premise which I had never come across before, which is why I took it on for review even though it is a departure from the kinds of things I usually read. I was intrigued, not only by the idea of humans having these subconscious connections with one another, but also how that idea would work in a thriller. Seeing the moral implications of being able to manipulate these connections playing out on a global political and corporate scale was fascinating. I a ...more
Corinthia Mitchell
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Disconnected” was a fascinating read that I couldn’t put down. Balancing between a Sci-Fi adventure with a dash of the fantastic the story delves deep into human connection and moral obligations. The story is told through two main protagonists, Asha and Sarah, who have very different lives. Asha is the leader of a group like cult who are manipulating the thoughts and emotions of politicians around them to create an utopianesque world, while Sarah is trapped in an underground medical experimenta ...more
Jessica Bucci
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. The synopsis drew me into reading the novel, but unfortunately I couldn’t stay hooked. I got about a third of the way through and couldn’t continue (and it’s rare for me to give up on a book, especially when doing a review of one). I didn’t understand the plot fully or how Asha could manipulate one’s subconscious. I didn’t grasp all the rules or techniques Asha used in his manipulation and training of others to aid him.

There were two separate plotlines occurrin
Anonymous
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars. This is a really interesting book. It’s very technical and because of that it is somewhat dry unless you have a deep love of the genre and can fathom half of what the author is talking about. Not much of the terms are explained and the reader is supposed to keep reading to make sense of whatever is confusing to you in the greater scheme of things. New characters are treated much the same. It’s not really a bad thing, don’t get me wrong, but it makes it difficult to stay engaged. The plo ...more
Otto Benz
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Somewhat disturbing story encompassing England and Africa, about a drug that enables mind control, and the nature of free choice. Includes love, hate, loyalty, death, Alzheimer's, and betrayal. Definitely worth reading. This is Nick Lloyd's second book - write some more!
Lcmc
Jul 31, 2017
John Wills
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lloyd clearly isn't a lucky man. After loving his first book, I dove into the second but expected to be less impressed. I wasn't. He isn't lucky, he is good!
Once again Lloyd takes you on a journey challenging morals and exploring the what if's of science, while keeping the reader grounded in an intriguing plot with charismatic characters.
A must read.
xue lijun
Mar 31, 2017
J.L. Dobias
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelf-001
Disconnected by Nick M. LLoyd might be considered a bio-thriller, though it falls more into the fantasy science fiction realm, but if one were more generous to stories about telepathy and mind control then we could call it science fiction; however that's putting the term loosely and overlooking the prejudice of some against Teeps in general. I picked this book because I'd already read the author's book Emergence, which I thoroughly enjoyed and it is closer to science fiction. Since it was LLoyd' ...more
Larry
Robin
Mar 09, 2018
Dave Farmer
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having thoroughly enjoyed the author’s first novel, Emergence, I had high hopes for Disconnected. Nick doesn’t disappoint in his scope of the “what-if” genre. Whilst tales of telepathy are nothing new, the idea of connecting, communicating, even manipulating people via emotional pathways is pretty damn good. I don’t recall coming across a book with the same approach.

Similar to the plot of Emergence, this new emotional telepathy subject requires considerable explanation. A good platform to build
Cecilia Ezaz-Nikpay
Sasch
Dec 15, 2017
Elrik
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
interesting idea, badly executed.
moral issues are talked and talked about, and the dialogues sometimes feel like a "why things are this way but we know better" story.
the paranormal part is... blunt and simplistic.

did finish it because I was interested if there might be some saving grace towards the end - there wasn't.

don't spens money for this
Mat Hillman
Nov 20, 2019
Carli Hall
Sep 19, 2017
Nick Lloyd
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jack La Flesch
May 22, 2017
L. S.
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Disconnected reads like a Michael Crichton novel. In fact, it opens in a very similar manner to some of his books. A scientific expedition works their way through a jungle to investigate a troop of “rabid” bonobos. As readers, we can only assume that a curse or some violent disease follows.

Not exactly.

Straying from the beaten path, Disconnected approaches scientific drama in more Eastern way. A sci-fi Eastern way. A man named Asha can see into people, see the way their connections line up, and
Adrian Baglow
Sep 23, 2019
Nick Lloyd
Apr 01, 2017
Deestarr
May 23, 2017
Larry S. Solanch
Aug 04, 2017

• Ember (Awaken Online: Tarot #1)
  • The Signal (Fractured Light Trilogy #0.5)
  • New Eden
  • Mother Ship
  • Death of Light (Fractured Light Trilogy #3)
  • Aftershocks (The Palladium Wars #1)
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
  • Exodus (Extinction Point, #2)
  • Life to the Limit: My Autobiography
  • Revelations (Extinction Point #3)
  • Genesis (Extinction Point Book 4)
  • Extinction Point: Kings
  • No One's Home
  • Odyssey One (Odyssey One, #1)
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
  • Genesis (The Colony, #1)
  • Renegades (The Colony, #2)
  • Descent (The Colony, #3)
Nick Lloyd is an independent author living in London. He writes Science Fiction in contemporary Earth settings. His stories are purposefully designed to have moral uncertainty, and mostly deal with the use (or misuse) of power.

###

He has three full-length standalone novels.

Immortal (February 2019)
Having had no contact with any alien species before, humanity receives a radio message from approaching

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...