Start by marking “Enemies of the State (The Executive Office #1)” as Want to Read:
Enemies of the State (The Executive Office #1)

Enemies of the State

(The Executive Office #1)

A rogue Black Ops unit with the president in their crosshairs.
A Secret Service agent who will break every rule.
A president falling for the one person he shouldn’t—a man.

Newly elected President Jack Spiers’s presidency is rocked from the very beginning, and he’s working furiously to keep the world from falling apart. Between terrorism attacks ripping apart Europe, Russia’
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 341 pages
Published March 21st 2017 by Tal Bauer (first published February 14th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Enemies of the State, please sign up.
Tal Hey! I'm so sorry, I didn't see this question! Right now, I have three books tentatively planned. :) Thank you!

Gigi
Reread October 2016 This one was even better the second time! Added it to my "fuck yeah, 5+ stars" shelf. Diving into the sequel. Yippie!

Release day! Tal Bauer did a guest post at Gay Book Reviews today announcing that Enemies of the State is part of a series, which means more Jack and Ethan!

First off, plan your day around this one. You will NOT want to put it down. If you have spoiled dogs like I do and it's past their bedtime, this might happen to you:

Newly elected POTUS Jack Spiers is having
Sheziss
In order to read this book, you have to suspend disbelief.

Indefinitely.

And then more.

I had three major problems with this book (Whaaaaaat? Only three?).

Firstly, this is unrealistic. Not a little, or much. Just I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E. I spent the first 25% rolling my eyes six ways to Sunday (and the rest 75% I managed to combine the eye-rolling with some kind of grumpy acceptance). I was sinking in despair seeing how ridiculous it all was, seeing two grown-up men behaving like teens. Their infatuat
Parvathy
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

5 'Mind-blown' Stars...

Enemies of the State was one book which I never expected to turn out to be the way it is. I was mind blown and flabbergasted by the sheer awesomeness of this book. Being a person who loves action and political drama, this book pushed all the right buttons and the added m/m element made it a splendid read...

Jack is the newly elected President of the United States and Ethan is the secret service agent who happens to be the lead of his security detail. The friendship betwee
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

Well done Tal Bauer! Well done!

I don't do politics. I don't discuss them. I don't debate them. But oddly enough I like to read about them.

And while this one might have been slightly higher on the politics scale then the romance scale for my personal preference, I still loved the hell out of it.

It read like a movie. This could have been a movie. I would watch this movie.

It's definitely a slow build between Jack and Ethan. And there was almost a forbidden quality to their relationship
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Re-read February 2019

One of my monthly challenge tasks was "re-read an old favorite." I wondered if I would be as obsessed as when I first read and reviewed it. Verdict? Still obsessed.

*************************
This was so good.

Why did I wait so long to read this?

THIS WAS SO GOOD. I AM AWARE THAT I AM "SHOUTING" BUT I DON'T CARE. IT WAS THAT GOOD.

If it wasn't obvious, "good" is an understatement. Enemies of the State checked all of my boxes and it checked them hard.

Last night I read until 1 am, t
Sophia Triad
The President and the Special Agent! Of course, I have read it! If anything, it is original.

I am not sure why this is happening lately, but I keep discovering great MM romance books. Maybe it is because my tastes have changed. Maybe it is because new great authors manage to get published. The result is me being a happy girl.

Take this book for example. It is extremely well written and it has the correct balance of romance and adventure. I loved it.

The love story described in this book cannot be
Shile
5 Amazing POTUS Secret Agent Stars

description

This book.. was amazing filled with on the edge of your seat action and the best slow burn romance.

Jack Spiers is the newly elected POTUS has been a widower for 15 years and has never been with anyone until Special Agent Ethan Reichenbach Secret Service comes into his life. Jack starts to befriend Ethan but Ethan has rules , his job doesn't allow him to get close to the protectee i.e Potus. But who can resist Jack's easy going personality, friendliness and his
Denise H.
*** A magnificent futuristic story with marvelous characters, who are fated, destined, dynamic !
*** Shady dealings are happening in the military of Washington, D.C. and what happens is shocking. In his late forties, Jack Speirs has won the Presidential election, inherited a load of problems, and 1 1/2 years ago lost his wife.

Now he's awaiting the change of command and looking forward to doing a good job for the people, the country and the world. Ethan, head of the Secret Service detail

coverin
Jo
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, gr2017, 4-stars
The one man he’d gone and fallen for, and he was so many different kinds of off limits.

Special Agent Ethan Reichenbach has finally been given the lead position of the Secret Service. He’s watched over three presidents and always kept his professional distance, until now. Newly elected president Jack Spiers is not what he’s used to. He’s friendly and lonely and seems to want Ethan as a friend. But it’s against the Secret Service rules, and his fascination and desire for Jack is not helping Eth

Simone
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy conspiracy…

This book reminded me a bit of a gay version of Olympus Has Fallen and I just couldn’t help it, but the image of Gerard Butler always popped up in my mind’s eye when I visualized Ethan ;-)

There were scenes…

… that kept me on the edge of my seat and my eyes glued to my Kindle and I could hardly put it down. Normally, I don’t do politics, I’m not interested in politics, and –what’s more- I don’t understand politics, so I was reluctant at first to read Enemies of the State at all,
Christelle
Re-read in October 2016 : I confirm my rating, really good and ready to go for "Enemy of my enemy" :-)
--------------------------------------
I’m not really into thrillers, but I gave it a try because 1)the reviews were good, 2) I’m a huge fan of the TV series « the west wing », and 3) I have a soft spot for GFY books, especially involving mature men. Glad I took the plunge.

Jack, a widow in his forties, is the new POTUS and feels a bit isolated even though he’s constantly surrounded by people. He
Jan
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, favorites

****4.5 Stars****

Wow! Such a great story!
Enemies of the State came to my attention because the sequel, which will be released soon, started popping out on my feeds. I have to confess that despite all the good rates from my friends I went into this walking in eggshells. Politics is not usually appealing to me in a story. I decided to take the plunge though and loved it!

The intricate world of politics was very well played. It was nothing boring, perhaps due to action and mystery elements that wer
Natalie
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
HAVE to read it again! At last, book three is coming. Still one of the most gripping and exciting and romantic books I've ever read!

10/2/16 Reread for SEQUEL! Loved it as much, if not more than the first time!

1st read 2/1/16 So, I started reading at 2:30 pm and finished at 1:40 am, only because I was forced to stop reading by Real Life and dinner.

This was a little reminiscent of a Tom Clancy novel with Jack Ryan as a gay man! A story of politics and foreign policy, and a very slow burn romance.
Ele

DNF @ 65%....

...mostly because I'm not doing the book justice.

It's very heavy on the politics. Like REALLY heavy. US politics or foreign politics than I'm not familiar with. I don't even know some of the terminology in English.

Please don't let this review discourage you from reading it. It's very well written and everyone seems to love it. The characters are very well sketched too.

Impressive for a debut author; I'll definately look out for more of their work in the future.

I was just struggling t
Alona
I'd like to start by offering some helpful advice:
- If you're looking for a story that has a strong hold on reality, it's not for you!
- if you are not ready for some GFY sweet romance, that has ALSO a very, VERY, dominant side-plot of politics/action, look elsewhere. It's full of it!

Now to my review:
WOW!
Who would have thought..??
I certainly didn't!! (Read: March 9 2016)

I was checking my TBR shelf for hours but nothing, absolutely nothing "did it" for me.
This book blurb sounded nice, but sort of
Karla
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!

Yes! Yes! I'm in love again and thank goodness my heart is huge and I can keep falling in love over and over.....

description

Jack, has just become the POTUS and as the most important man he needs protection. Nathan, is the leader of the secret service for jack he is also openly gay, unlike Jack, who is straight and a widow. Working together Jack/Nathan formed a special bond and soon Nathan finds himself attracted to Jack. He battles with his feeling for Jack, and that fact he can also lose his job
Catherine
I did end up enjoying this book overall, but BEWARE: it is a sloooooooow burn with lots of feelz as the pay-off (there are very few sexy times involved). And, in case you didn't catch this when you saw that the book was the first in a series called "The Executive Office," Enemies of the State only leaves readers with a HFN. Up side? More Jack and Ethan to come! And come, hopefully.
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Re-read: 14.09.2018
Strangely, I think I actually like this book more this time around reading it. I didn't like it MUCH more, bit a little more :P Ethan and Jack was more cute... Gad I'm weird. But jesus, there's so much information in this book. Seriously, way too much.

⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Not all that bad*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

This book didn't start out good for me. No, it didn't start getting interesting before after 60% into the book. However those last % of the book was awesome enough to make this book worthy enough
★*. • * ° ❧Gwendolyn❧°*•* ★. • * °
An Exceptionally Written Wonderful Political Romance Thriller!

At 62%

my * heart-tump-in'*'double time.

Man oh man that scene at 62% and the few more that followed behind was INTENSE!

There is so much to love about this book

-The Romance was great, it was a slow seductive burn.

-The cuddling, I love.

-The smexin scene was STEAMY GOOD! Acutal Sex at (view spoiler)

-The mystery/thriller aspect gave me many twist and unexpected turns.

-The SCs, wow I want more of them.

-The storyline
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Guys, this moved me. M-O-V-E-D me.

This is going down as a favorite of the year.

The intrigue, the suspense, the friendship, loyalty and shit, the love.

I never wanted this to end but couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

My God did I need a book like this, And now, I need ten more.

So good.
Vallie
5 + stars

This book just made my top 10 books of 2016 and Tal Bower is now an auto-buy.

I honestly don’t know how I can possibly do this book justice. It. Blew. My. Mind.

I am a total sucker for men in uniform, especially those that wear it as well as I imagine Ethan wore his when he was in the army. Ethan is the special agent in charge for newly elected president Jack Spiers. I totally geeked out reading about the inner workings of the secret service, from how they operated, to the way the auth
Dani
Oh man, wow.

I was nervous at first because I’m not a fan of politics and I was afraid I may put it down, but I just needed to give it a chance and dear lord!

I… couldn’t… stop… reading...

I was in the mood for something with a little bit more of action, that's why I ended up with this book. So happy it didn't disappoint me!

Love, action, suspense, conspiracy, betrayal, angst. It has it all!

Right now I can barely hold myself awake because I stayed up till 2 am finishing this. So I apologize for m
Jewel
I enjoyed this one a lot more than I thought I would, considering that politics is the LAST thing I want to read about, 6 weeks before a major election, here in the US. I didn't find the suspense plot line too overbearing and loved the romance between Jack and Ethan. Can't wait until I get my hands on book 2! Gimme!!! :)
Ariana
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not quite see how the set up for this book could work. The president of the United States falling in love with a guy? I did wonder whether this would turn into some totally unbelievable fairy-tale and whether the author would be able to pull this off.
Well, Tal Bauer did, and spectacularly, if I may say so.

The development of Jack and Ethan's relationship felt realistic and was done extremely well. One straight, but sexually indifferent, the other one gay, but eternally unattached. Both ar
Martin
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I really loved the first half of this book. The US President and his Secret Service bodyguard falling in love with each other. Slow burn, partly gay for you - perfect! I really loved Ethan. He was a very likable and relatable guy.

Then around the 50% mark, they became flawless lovers, celebrating their undying love with hearts in their eyes - constantly proclaiming how they would do anything to be with each other. No relationship or identity finding issues at all...

The action sequences reminded
Jaya
This was like a triple-cheese-pizza-and-death-by-chocolate-ice cream-fudge-with-a-large-oreo-cookie-shake-extra-malt-romance. And how I consumed it O.O

On to the next one...
Renée
I don't know how to rate this. The first half is awesome!! It's all romance and slow burn and just......yum!

Then the action happened, and I didn't care. Shrugs.

It was written unbelievably well. So well that I want this author on my radar.
Lala
Three words - too. much. sobbing.

This book was melodramatic, to say the least. After reading the glowing reviews I expected to be blown away...didn't happen. The romance part was a huge disappointment. Purple prose, full of 'crushed' and 'shattered' souls and hearts, sobs and tears, and so much contrived anguish I was constantly rolling my eyes. I would have bought the drama be it a YA story, but not about a couple in their forties. Ethan was such a drama queen...I just couldn't believe this was
Katerina
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
So my dears, that was a journey... and I was really not sure if I could reach my destination.
About this series was made a huge hype from the beginning. Therefore, this came in my special shelf with books that everyone talks about. In the meantime, the author has published quite a number of new books, and "Whisper" in particular made me so curious that I had to read it immediately. And "Whisper" blew me away. It devoured me with skin and hair. Epic proportions.
Now that you have read something so
Dia
4,5 rounded to 4 stars

I struggled a lot to rate this book, because I really, really loved the first half, but the second part wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

I should start by saying this book sucked me in from the start and I got to turn the pages real fast.

It surprised me a lot and by a lot, I mean A LOT! This story is as far from the real world as we can get... An US President falling for a man who was set for protecting him. Well I'm usually running from political stuff, but I hoped
Frenemies: Enemies of the State Group Re-Read 83 42 Feb 24, 2017 12:22PM

• Love is a Stranger (More Heat Than the Sun, #1)
  • The Monet Murders (The Art of Murder, #2)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • Fit to be Tied (Marshals, #2)
  • Daylight Again (Hell or High Water, #3)
  • Bone Rider
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I (Special Forces, #2 part 1)
  • Latakia
  • Beyond the Sea
  • Rack & Ruin (THIRDS, #3)
  • Tequila Mockingbird (Sinners #3)
  • Bitter Legacy
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)

Tal Bauer is an award-winning and best-selling author of LGBT romantic thrillers. He is happily married and lives with his husband in Texas. Tal is a member of the Romance Writers of America.

Website - www.talbauerwrites.com
Amazon Author - http://amazon.com/author/talbauer
Twitter - @TalBauerWrites
Email: tal@talbauerwrites.com
Newsletter - http://eepurl.com/cs0vsn

The Executive Office (3 books)
  • Enemy Of My Enemy (Executive Office #2)
  • Enemy Within (The Executive Office #3)
“I will tear apart the planet. Cross continents, oceans…” He shrugged. “Nothing will keep me from him. And nothing will stop me from protecting him. I’ll die for him. In a heartbeat.” 12 likes
“His chin quivered as the tears threatened to spill again. Fuck. He didn’t think a human being could cry this much.” 2 likes