Start by marking “Silk Flowers” as Want to Read:
Silk Flowers

Silk Flowers

"Her sickness starts with a tingling, a current from some strange electric cloud that can be sensed, but never seen. She feels it looming as she rises from the bed. She feels it humming through the floorboards, through her feet, and through her legs."

"A poetry of the body these words—a meticulous meditation. With a full control of voice and tone, Meghan Lamb captures the
Paperback, First, 95 pages
Published March 2017 by Birds of Lace

To ask other readers questions about Silk Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silk Flowers

Start your review of Silk Flowers
Megan
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Electric with sustained intensity. The world tilts ever slowly sideways in this frighteningly elegant novella.
Matt
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an intense emotional feat. Lamb always writes things that manage to pierce through all the social pretense and get to the marrow of what it means to be living and relating to others. I'll be meditating on this novella for quite some time.
Carolyn DeCarlo
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I breathed a sigh of relief on the first page, as I knew from the language straight away it would be a favorite just as I'd always hoped. You're in good hands with Meghan, and she leaves nothing out of place in this slim book. I've been waiting my whole life to read Silk Flowers (or, at least the last several years as it went through the book equivalent of "production hell.") All worth it, for the ultimate beauty of this strangely crafted little novella.

Jackson read it to me in three sittings,
Kim
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
I feel like I'm going to be haunted by the (and this is the word that keeps coming to mind) precision of this book for a while. Beautiful, strange, haunting.
Lindsay
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
This short novella, less than 100-pages, is beautifully written. I felt that it read like poetry despite having a story line more like a novel. The author's prose was unique and moving, likely inspired by her own battle with an unknown illness. I certainly empathized with the fear and uncertainty that an illness can bring to one's life. For me it was a quick read, I did not want to put it down as I wanted to learn the outcome of the story. For those looking for a piece you could read in one day, ...more
Brooks
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The bowls sit in the fridge with bits of beef, creamed corn, and runny lines of beet broth, dirty food splashed up around the silver circle."
James Adcox
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Saw an early copy of this, back when it was with another press, and loved it. Lamb's work, here and elsewhere, is precise, deadly, and often darkly, unexpectedly funny.
Perifian
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
The thanatoptic (not just visual) stuff comes vitiatingly harder and faster than that in Ariel but is powerful in its aesthetic specificity. The focal triptych nature is sad. When it doesn't work (for me) it doesn't work (for me) in interesting ways.

(view spoiler)
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I started reading this the day it came in the mail and could hardly put it down because I was so terrified. Highly recommended if you are interested in stories about illness, dis/ability, relationships, and/or childhood.
(jessica)
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seconding the elegant adjective. This is a lovely, quietly powerful little work. Part tragedy, part body horror.
Ben Robinson
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A disclaimer - this is a novella whose contents are insidious and terrifying, despite the cutesy cover.
Sophie Mangano

• The Pavilion of Former Wives
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Anthony Mann
  • The History of Mary Prince: A West Indian Slave Narrative
  • Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell, #2)
  • Potted Meat
  • The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance
Author of Silk Flowers (Birds of Lace) and Sacramento (Solar Luxuriance)