Start by marking “The Designer” as Want to Read:
The Designer

The Designer

In 1944, newly married Copper Reilly arrives in Paris soon after the liberation. While the city celebrates its freedom, she’s stuck in the prison of an unhappy marriage. When her husband commits one betrayal too many, Copper demands a separation.

Alone in Paris, she finds an unlikely new friend: an obscure, middle-aged designer from the back rooms of a decaying fashion
Audio CD
Published October 1st 2017 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Designer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Designer

Start your review of The Designer
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
It was the mentioning of Christian Dior that made me curious to read the book. Well, not only that, but I was intrigued by the fact that the main character, Copper, strikes up a friendship with the well-known fashion designer. A man I know next to nothing about.

The book took me by surprise, at first I thought this would be the usual woman finds herself and has to choose between two men. But, yeah Copper does leave her husband after he has one affair too many, but after that, her life takes a
Bridget Vollmer
I won this in a GR giveaway in exchange for a review....1 1/2 stars rounded up

I was really disappointed in this as I really wanted to love it. The story felt clunky and disjointed and the characters felt very one dimensional with minimal character development. I would have DNF'd but since I won it in a giveaway I wanted to finish it to see if it got better.
Pattie
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about this time period in Paris and learning more about the early fashion industry.
junia
Sep 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
‘Can’t you be happy for me? At least I’m off the cocaine.’
'Really?’ Copper asked sceptically.
'Well, at least I can afford my own stuff now. I don’t have to go on my knees to Petrus anymore.’
'No, you get other women to do that for you.’
'Don’t lecture me, Copper. You live your life and I’ll live mine, okay?’
'Okay,’ Copper said sadly.

So if you enjoy dialogue like this, enjoy a gorgeous heroine who is just SO beautiful, who earnestly thanks everyone for their kindness, who has a working class
Thebooktrail
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
description

Visit the locations in the novel my link text

This was an immersive read which took me back to the artistic Paris at the time of WW2. The whole novel is peppered with stars and notable figures of the art and fashion world in particular. Literary stars too which the city became noted for. It was a delight to wander through this city without the plot – but the plot detailing the journey of Christian Dior, a penniless fashion artist to what he later became is nicely done.

The story follows a young
Constantine
Rating: 3.5/5.0

This was my choice for the month of September 2017 among Kindle First books. The book is going to be released in October 2017. I have chosen this book for three reasons: One because it is a historical fiction and it is one of my favorite genres. Second, the cover! it is elegant and Third because as the title and description say it is about the designer Christian Dior. I knew this was just a fiction but still a fiction story about a real life figure is fascinating.

The story is set
Amy Beck
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashion-related
Something about this book makes it feel like reading it is a guilty pleasure. With the backdrop of WWII (which, being Jewish, I normally avoid because I am unwilling and terrified to learn of the horrors) I was surprised to find myself not skipping pages. For this fashionista, the pull to learn about the exotic world of Paris couture culture almost destroyed by austerities of the war was strong enough to keep me going.

Although in theory, I would have preferred one-track focus on Dior and the
Carrie
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, but I didn’t love it

The Designer tells a very interesting story, creates many good characters and has its basis in history. All of these things I look for in a good book. That said, I found the writing style too unsophisticated and elementary for my taste and, in my opinion, for such an elaborate tale. It read like a Harlequin Romance with detailed descriptions of characters’ appearances but not much about their personalities. In the end I enjoyed it but I feel that the story of Mr
Theresa
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

Historical fiction brings the events and personalities, the highs and lows of history to life as non-fictional accountings rarely can. In relating the rise of Christian Dior as narrated by the entirely fictional character of Copper (Oona) Reilly, the reader is treated to a view of post-occupied Paris with all of its privations and yearnings, bitterness and hope. The liberated French simultaneously celebrate the end of Nazi occupation while they lick their wounded pride being both
Dawn Fielder
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. The characters are so full and I felt as if for two days I retreated into the bohemian life of a stringer journalist in WWII Paris.
Christina Boodhan Juras
3.5 stars, rounded down. Overall, fairly well-written and a decent story, but I was more intrigued by Dior than his friend, the main character. The end of the book covered his debut show at his fashion house, and it was beautifully described.
E Sanders
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction at its best

Copper and her friends are wonderful characters set against the end of the war. I didn't want the story to end.
Lorraine Walker
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I chose this book because of the cover and I'd heard of the author. There are very descriptive scenes of the Paris fashion scene towards the end of World War 2 and just after, particularly those surrounding Christian Dior. This is a work of fiction, but real facts and people laced in with good writing makes this one of my favourites so far this year - and it's only February!
Sara
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a lover of fashion, particularly vintage fashion, I loved the references to some of the greats - Schiaparelli, Balenciaga, Balmain - and the scenes that reflected what it takes to make a couture collection. I also liked the inclusion of Catherine Dior, and her heroics in WWII, which was based on fact. The growth of Oona as a journalist was interesting, but seemed a little too easy - more a matter of right place, right time, than any real work on her part. While I like happy endings, I wish ...more
Sue King
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely little historical novel set in Paris just as WWII is finishing up, focusing on the history of Christian Dior
Mary Haug
There was interesting information in this novel about Christian Dior’s beginning as a major force in the fashion world. But the characters in the story never rang true for me.
Cinthia
Meg
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-books
I thought that this book was going to be historical fiction about Dior and while it was, eventually, it got sidetracked along the way and turned into a romance novel. It made sense once I read about the author and discovered that he is primarily a romance novelist (albeit under a pseudonym) but that didn’t mean that I liked the detour.
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this new trend of female-bent historical fiction. Between Outlander, Song of Achilles, Circe, and lots of others, this sub-genre is yielding a lot of well-written novels with a fresh perspective. This book is a jewel. Give it three chapters. Trust me.
Evelyn
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. There are real people scattered through the novel, especially the designer of the title, Christian Dior. The story follows the actions of Oona Reilly, a young American woman (fictional) who finds herself in Paris in 1944. As her marriage falls apart, she sets out to become a journalist. With hard work and dedication and some luck, she is successful. She encourages Dior to strike out on his own in the fashion world and the rest is history.
Erika Kilborn
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read

I loved learning more about the history of the period. The author liberally sprinkles many well-known characters throughout the book, including some I did not realize were real people. The romance seemed a bit contrived and forced, but maybe that's just me.
Evelyn Sander
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Jessica
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
This was quite a different take on WWII historical fiction. Even though I don't care much about fashion, it was intriguing to consider the way Christian Dior and other fashion giants played a role in the restoration of France after the war.
Dava Stewart
By the time I decided I didn't like this book at all, I was 70% finished. I should have just stopped because that last 30% was just so bad. So. Bad.

The dialog, where it existed was stilted and odd. The characters were flat, as if the author read Wikipedia pages and tried to turn them into stories.

Near the end the MC gives birth and complains that no one warned her it would be terrifying. No one needs that warning. The whole scene is easily the worst birth scene I've read in a long time, and
Brenda Mengeling
My reactions to this book are ambivalent. On the one hand, I enjoyed the main character, Copper, and her friendship with Christian Dior. I was intrigued by the setting of Paris in the final stages of WWII--liberated but the war not over. The dialog was good, and the characters were more interesting than usual. I had not realized how different Dior's vision was at the end of the war--it was called the "New Look"--from what women had become used to during the war with shortages of fabric and ...more
Alessandra
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm very sorry because I really wanted to like this book. From the astonishing cover to the topic (the wonderful world of couture in Paris after war) to, of course, the Designer, Mr Dior.
But I found the main character, Copper, such bidimensional, the story so incredible (Cinderella in comparison was a down-to-earth girl) and the imaginary about the post war Paris were not very realistic, also if not full naivety. However, I have the impression the author added paragraphs about concentration
Linda
Free Kindle First book. I enjoyed the historical aspect and the fictional friendship with Christian Dior and others, but as it went on, it just got too romance-y for me. Fiery American redhead in Europe at the end of World War II. Everybody wants to win her, and she's tempted from all angles, but is determined to retain her independence. I didn't hate it, but didn't think it was worth continuing the time investment, with such a long list of books waiting in the wings.

If you like your sexy
Paige
3.5 Stars
It took me some time to adjust to the writing style of this book, which I was afraid was going to be too abrupt and choppy for me, but either my fear was unfounded or I was able to adjust and began to fall into this story. The title might lead one to believe the iconic designer Christian Dior is more of the focus of this story. Rather, it is mainly the story of Copper, a young American living in Paris, and part of her story is how she fell into the crowd that included the fashion
Tex
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 2018popsugar
What a shame. It's a relatively good historical romance, but certainly not enough history for me. Probably, for a romance writer, coming out of that kind of writing must be difficult. What I wanted out of this was a good take on the beginnings of Christian Dior's design empire. What we got was a romance between a weirdly nicknamed American who is the opposite of the ugly American and marries a rich Russian count. It wasn't until the Author's Note that the real story seemed to come out. I'll take ...more
Elise
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting to me to read the afterword by the author, who gave a much more detailed account of Christian Dior. It seemed, from this afterword and the title, that the book was supposed to be about Christian Dior. However, I thought the main character was Copper and Dior was a secondary character, along with Suzy Solidor, and many others who shaped Copper's burgeoning independence and influenced her journey to her own confidence.

I found the book a bit slow at times and caught myself

• P.S. from Paris
  • Fortune's Daughters
  • When We Believed in Mermaids
  • Daughters of the Night Sky
  • A Tangled Mercy
  • Relative Fortunes (Julia Kydd #1)
  • The Girls of Pearl Harbor
Marius Gabriel is an international thriller and mystery writer.

Under the pseudonym Madeleine Ker, he wrote over 30 romance novels in the 1980s.

As Marius Gabriel he has written several mystery best-sellers, some of them historical novels.

He has three grown-up children and currently lives in Cairo and London. He is 59.
“In my experience, the unmarried women are the smartest.” 3 likes
“We’re each on our own tightrope. All we can do is pick one another up after we fall.” 3 likes