Start by marking “Sam Dorsey and His Sixteen Candles (Sam Dorsey and Gay Popcorn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sam Dorsey and His Sixteen Candles (Sam Dorsey and Gay Popcorn, #1)

Sam Dorsey and His Sixteen Candles

(Sam Dorsey and Gay Popcorn #1)

Previous cover edition of ASIN B00IJPHDPI

A tribute to John Hughes movies and the 80es era.

Sam never liked his birthdays because not a single one of them was happy. When he turned one, he fell face-down into his birthday cake. When he turned seven, he broke his arm. At his twelfth birthday, his house caught fire. Now Sam is about to turn sixteen and he is dreading the d
Kindle Edition, 3, 162 pages
Published 2017 (first published February 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sam Dorsey and His Sixteen Candles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sam Dorsey and His Sixteen Candles

Start your review of Sam Dorsey and His Sixteen Candles (Sam Dorsey and Gay Popcorn, #1)
Kaje Harper
Mar 03, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sample-downchk
This author is stealing audio book royalties from Narrator Joel Leslie, by taking down royalty share projects and putting them back up as narrated by "Joey Leslie" - ACX has now removed the unauthorized versions, but the author is still selling them on estories.

Post from narrator Joel Leslie Froomkin here - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...

I urge you to return the audio books to estories for a refund if you have bought them (or any ACX with "Joey" but NOT the "Joel" versions for which th
Ann
The teen years of my generation can be summed up by the collective works of John Hughes so when I saw a book was coming out loosely based on the classic, Sixteen Candles, I knew I’d be reading it. That is actually kind of a big deal because I’m not much of a YA reader. That being said, some of my favorite books have been classified as YA, so I’m not sure why some formulas work for me and some don’t, but this? This did. It read like I was watching a John Hughes movie for the first time, yet was s ...more
☆ Todd
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I loved this one, but the writing style and characters really did feel full-on YA compared to say Mia Kerick's YA works.

Sam is sweet, but insanely clueless for the most part, and the shit that his 'birthday curse' get him into is pretty funny. Plus, his wet dream scenes, which happened *every* morning, were both sexy and hilarious.

I also LOVED Mitch in this book, but we didn't really get to know Jake all that well first-hand, which is odd because he's such a central part of the love triangle.

As
Trisha Harrington
My review of Turning 16 on GreedyBug Book Reviews.

This book was provided by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review
Cadiva
Mar 03, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This author is stealing audio royalty profits from Joel Leslie.

See Joel's Facebook post here:

Text also included for clarity:

He’s at it again. This author, Perie Wolford, continues to steal from me by pulling royalty share projects I did with him several years ago and reposting the exact same book with a new cover and narrated by “joey leslie”. He knows my name. He knows these were royalty share projects and he’s doing something reprehensible.
When I first
Veronica of V's Reads
I received this book via Goodreads' Don't Buy My Love program in exchange for an honest review.

I had such high hopes for this book. REALLY! I adore the work of John Hughes, and I grew up in the 80's so this was going to be a slam dunk winner if the book lived up to its billing. Sadly, no.

Sam is a 16y/o boy who has a crush on Jake, a senior and star football player. He loves to bask in the glow of Jake--and does so regularly as the "towel boy" on the team. Sam has regular fantasies/wet dreams ove
Tara Spears
*** I have been chatting with the author since my review. This book is slated for editing and I have offered to re-evaluate the book and adjust my review accordingly at that time. I like the base of the story, and really want to encourage Perie Wolford continue writing.***

I am not sure if my copy was the same as what everyone else read... It was provided by the author for an honest review.

First off I actually went to Perie's goodreads page to make sure english was his first language before writi
Roger - president of NBR United -
I got this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

We should all have Sam's problem of having two boys fighting over him, but we should not have his bad luck with birthdays. This is a cute and obviously YA book.I could have done with out the graphic balloons like from an old Batman episode. to me that was the main distraction. This book read as if the 16 year old who was the narrator wrote it. it was cute endeaering and he made these snarky and sarcastic remarks. I enjoyed it, but realize
Sara
I am a HUGE John Hughes fan. Well, fan may be putting it lightly. I am the girl who wanted to move to Shermer, Illinois until I found out it was a fictional town and then I didn’t care and still wanted to move to it. I can recite lines from any of his movies verbatim and just happened to have named my youngest son after one of the movies he directed…no NOT Ferris but don’t think I didn’t try that one. So, being a John Hughes fan, when I saw this book I knew I had to try it. I mean, a boy named S ...more
Maggie Simms
Super cute YA romance!!

Sam's wet dreams were pretty hot and funny which I know is a weird combo but it worked. Both Mitch and Sam are endearing characters. Sam was a bit dense when it came to Mitch but it all worked out in the end.

Can't wait to read the sequel when it is released in March.
Lori
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perie Wolford captured 16 year old MC, Sam's voice perfectly. The caring, but somewhat naive lead in this story was completely adorable and I was on his side from page one. Sam was great - but I loved Mitch the most, I'm not sure why, there was something endearingly vulnerable about him, despite his obvious cool/jock factor. The iconic film the author drew inspiration from I watched so long ago I can barely remember it - yet now I have a hankering to watch some of those John Hughes classics. Thi ...more
Anja V
Jul 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh god, this was offensively bad.
Tip of the day: Don't waste your time on this book.

I don't know why and how I ended up reading this piece of trash, but let me tell you, I hated every single second of it. I hate every character, I hate the "plot" what plot though and I hate the writing. The only reason I managed to finish this is because it's only about 150 pages short AND THANK FUCK FOR THAT.

Spoilers for the whole plot ahead, but idc because no one should be reading this book anyway.

Okay so t
Alicia
(This book was provided free in return for an honest review)
2.5 stars:
If there is one thing I've learned recently, it's that a little editing goes a long way. And this book needed A LOT of editing. Sam, the main character, is a just-turned sixteen year old in 1985. However, it might as well have been written by a 13 year old for the lack of structure and errors in text. And 1985 - the author (I'm assuming by his picture) was born about 20 years too late. Showing my age here, but that was me - 19
vLadimiR
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It's been a while since I read a YA novel and I'm glad I came across this one because it was a very entertaining read indeed.

First off, let me just say that being an 80's baby, I haven't seen Sixteen Candles yet so I'm basing my review solely on the plot. Fortunately, it turned out to be a decent read.

It pretty much covers the life of 16 year old closeted-gay Sam and his ongoing dislike towards his birthday which seems to be a beacon for constant bad luck. The setting only covers almost a wee
Robert
Cute coming-of-age story told in an "after school special" kind of way. The lack of editing was a distraction for me.

Will definitely check out the next book in this series.

3.5 stars.
One Code 431
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One Of My Favorite Book Of All Time Really Really Loved Everything Sooooooo Cute
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
In general I'm not a huge YA but this was adorbs. The fantasy, the family torture, the two boys. Cute! ...more
Look for this review and more at my blog, Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews.

Turning 16 caught my eye because of the eighties theme and the fact that it is set in high school which is not the most common setting for m/m romance. I am a huge fan of John Hughes movies especially Sixteen Candles so I found this to be a sweet and entertaining homage to that film genre.

The entire story was told from the point of view of Sam, a sixteen year old boy who suffers from a 'birthday curse.' He strongly believes t
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post: (50%Off coupon code included in post) http://headouttheoven.blogspot.com/20...

Maybe it is because I fell in love with Jake of Sixteen Candles, way back when I was around 14 or so, that I fell in love with Turning 16.

It is Sam's birthday. He does not have good memories of his past birthdays. As he struggles to get through this one day, he connects with Mitch in detention. Mitch is a jock he found cute, but not as cute as Jake (not the movie Jake, Sam's Jake). To make his day
Anna Goerlitz
3.5-4 stars

I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Let me start out by saying, that I do not normally read YA. But this one I had to read. The moment I read the words: tribute to John Hughes, I knew I had to have it. I mean, the mans movies defined my teenage years and those of my entire generation.

Going in I was slightly worried, could the author pull it off, with out it being a rip off? But he did wonderfully! This was truly a John Hughes movie in b
Kerry Adrienne
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dbml, m-m, ya-m-m

I was given a copy of this book to provide an honest review for the GR mm group's DBML program.

A book that is a m/m version of Sixteen Candles/John Hughes movies? Yes, please!

Sam has a birthday curse--bad things happen on his birthday. This year, he turns sixteen and expects the same birthday problems. He's got a crush on the #1 jock football player, Jake, but of course he isn't going to act on it...or is he?

Meanwhile, his bff Melissa is being hit on by another jock, Mitch. Or so Sam t
Wade
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable. I'm not completely sure where I heard about this book, because when I decided to look it up I noticed I already owned it. Maybe I read something about it on Goodreads, IDK, but most recently is was on Scott Burkett's list: http://www.ggr-review.com/misfits/
I found it already on my laptop and decided to read it today. I WAS GLUED TO EVERY WORD. This is an adorable YA story and I really enjoyed reading it. Being a 16 Candles fan from way back I could see the parallels. The writing is won
Pjm12
This was cute and romantic. I liked how we were only privvy to Sam's extremely tunnel-visioned view of events and people in his life. The author cleverly let his audience see more when we needed to, and held back when we didn't.

It was also fun. The whole debacle with the birthday curse was used effectively to up the stakes in Sam's anxiety and angst levels.

Even though I could flag where this was going, I enjoyed the ride.

Ari
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance
well..that was a quick and fun read, but probably the author is new in this genre or he watch too much John Hughes' movie... ...more
Trio
Review of the audiobook here. ...more
Tina
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Turning 16 is the first in Perie Wolford’s series of YA MM books based loosely on the John Hughes films from the 1980s. Some of his titless are Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club, which is still one of my favorite movies and is popular with today’s teenagers too. The message that we are all different and feel insecure at times is a timeless one. This first book is all about Sam and his hellish sixteenth birthday. Molly Ringwald he isn’t!

I don’t personally believe in curses, b
Penumbra
I received Turning 16 from the author through the Goodreads M/M Romance Group’s Don’t Buy My Love review program for an honest opinion.

This story is YA and is told in first person through the eyes of Sam, a high school student, who has a huge crush on Jake, the quarterback of the school’s football team.
(view spoiler)
Ro
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, at the risk of alienating fans, I am not a fan of Sixteen Candles! Or Molly Ringwald, for that matter, so the idea that this is a homage to that movie was neither here nor there for me. What this was, however, was an awesome look at the 16th birthday time of Sam. Sam of the birthday curse. Everything bad happens on his birthday or his birthday week.

Told in first person by Sam, the story chronicles the development of Sam as a teenager, working on his first real crush, a jock named Jak
Christopher
This was really like a 3.5 for me. I’m going to start off by saying that I loved the birthday curse element of the story. It worked really well. I would think I was cursed if I was Sam. The guy had some real bad luck on birthdays.

The main thing I didn't like was how oblivious Sam was. He just did not understand what was going on around him while I wasn't surprised by any of it. I knew what everyone else felt about him and what their intentions were just from his dialogue with them and what he w
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
YA LGBT Books: Turning 16 - Amazon reviews needed 24 183 Sep 10, 2015 03:47AM
YA LGBT Books: Turning 16 by Perie Wolford 2 45 May 19, 2014 12:10PM

• The Biggest Scoop
  • Crossroads (Crossroads, #1)
  • Something Like Summer (Something Like, #1)
  • The Prince and His Bedeviled Bodyguard (Paranormal Princes #1)
  • Stirring Up Trouble (Stir, #1)
  • Raphael's Power (Blackwood Pack, #2)
  • Dire Warning (Blackwood Pack, #1)
  • Worship (On My Knees Duet, #1)
  • The Ghost and Charlie Muir
  • Sometime After Midnight
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Bonded (Bound In Love, #1)
  • Alasdair (Masters Among Monsters, #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Isadora (Masters Among Monsters, #2)
  • Thanos (Masters Among Monsters #3)
  • End of the Innocence (Tales from Foster High, #2)
  • Need for Speed (The Elite, #2)
Perie Wolford is an optioned and produced screenwriter and published author. For more information visit periewolford.com

Sam Dorsey and Gay Popcorn (4 books)
  • Sam Dorsey And His Dirty Dancing (Sam Dorsey And Gay Popcorn, #2)
  • Sam Dorsey And His First Days In College (Sam Dorsey And Gay Popcorn, #3.1)
  • Sam Dorsey And His Breakfast Club (Sam Dorsey And Gay Popcorn, #4)

News & Interviews