Start by marking “The Last Trollid (The Sunset of Magic #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Trollid (The Sunset of Magic #1)

The Last Trollid (The Sunset of Magic #1)

There's; world jumping magic, Dragons, ruthless invaders, epic battles, unlikely heroes, bravery, sacrifice, and a steam cannon worthy of Archimedes! And yes it does have wizards, both good and very bad. Romance? Yes, a little of that too! What more do you want in an adventure story?

A disparate band: fussy spinster, Ida Fairweather; crusty old soldier, Endor Caffri; dishon
Published May 13th 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Last Trollid, please sign up.
Alistair Potter First, why am I asking and answering my own questions? Well, because the Goodreads website only lists the book as available from the Amazon UK. (If so…moreFirst, why am I asking and answering my own questions? Well, because the Goodreads website only lists the book as available from the Amazon UK. (If someone knows how to get it to list both the US and UK websites, let me know!)
Anyway the answer is yes;
The Last Trollid - https://www.amazon.com/Last-Trollid-S...
The Counsel of Wizards - https://www.amazon.com/Counsel-Wizard...
Bort's People - https://www.amazon.com/Borts-People-S...(less)

Start your review of The Last Trollid (The Sunset of Magic #1)
Arisawe Hampton
I thought this novel had some original ideas and interesting characters. The author did manage to include quite a few moments of conflict needed to keep the pace, but some of the content did not land with me and I was keenly aware of plot holes in its logic.

Moleskin, in particular was an interesting sort of character who does try to save the world from an invasion of evil beings. But oftentimes Moleskin comes across as a generic sort of fantasy hero. Sometimes Moleskins’ actions confounded me t
Heena Rathore P.
3.5/5

The Last Trollid by Allistair Potter is the start to a new series The Sunset Of Magic. After having read three other books by the author, The Box Of Tricks , Perax Frontier and Probability's Edge I was confident that this book is going to be a smashing read, and, thankfully, to a great extent, it was. Just like his previous books, this book had a brilliant premise and an amazingly awesome world built with a great deal of detailing. The pacing and tension were good as they both ha
Cecily Wolfe
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, indie
A great series starter, with a variety of characters and a depth to the storyline that kept me interested. There is a lot of description and a slower pace than a lot of fantasy that I've read, but I didn't mind, as the details made the setting really come to life. Strong female characters and romantic tension add to the positives here, as do some plot twists I did not see coming. Highly recommended.
Angel Leya
We join a group of individuals as they set out for the battlefield from one sector of the kingdom in the wake of a new enemy. The lizard-like beings with blood red eyes are fierce and ruthless, and after a firm routing sends the troops into retreat, they seem to have the upper hand.

But these enemies aren’t exactly new to this world, and as our group breaks apart from the main forces for various reasons, they find a world of history long forgotten. Now they must preserve and defend this knowledge
Christopher Keene
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story had me changing my mind about it almost every chapter for the first third when I realized the blurb didn't lie and it has nearly half of every trope in the genre. At first, I was thinking "Oh, it's an adventure travel log like The Dragon's Path." Nope. One chapter I was "Oh, we have a last-of-his-kind tragic hero tale like The Gunslinger" the next I was "Oh, it's about old portal magic with cautious old mystics like The Emperor's Blades" nope and nope again. Then it finally hit me. Wi ...more
Happy Booker
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The last trollid is a fantasy story; book one of the sunset of magic series. The story begins with a world gate being opened by a wizard causing aliens to attack the population of the land. Ida operates in the kitchens and ends up transporting the combatants to safety when she falls into a mission in finding a forbidden city that contains a way to defeat the enemy.

The story is filled with descriptive writing regarding the world, science fiction, battles, dragons and more. A few characters are pl
Laura Koerber
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Last Trollid is a solid, well-crafted fantasy of the action/adventure type. The setting is a sort-of medieval alternative reality where a kingdom is under attack by an alien culture. The main characters are a collection of individuals thrown together by circumstance who have to fight to defend themselves and their home.

There’s plenty of action and tension but the violence is never lurid or overdone. The story is told at a leisurely pace allowing for plenty of character and relationship devel
J.B. Trepagnier
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a strong fantasy book with almost anything you could want. Epic battles, magical creatures, the last of ones kind, strong female characters, and even a little romance thrown in.

The world the author paints is graphically written and it was easy to picture in my head. He did have a note in the end that some of the devices in the book came from old inventions and old ideas and when I got to the end and read that, it was interesting to see how he spun them in this novel.

I'm drawn to strong,
P.M.F. Johnson
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this novel had many original ideas, solid characters, and moments of great conflict and desperation. But I found it somewhat lacking in consistency, so that the story got confusing at times. I liked the characters, especially Bort and Moleskin, two of the heroes who try to save their world from an invasion of evil beings. But there were too many logical failings for me, and actions that jarred me out of the storyline. But the magical ideas are good, the climactic fight is satisfying, a ...more
Chris Keaton
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Fantastic Fantasy that does copy all those that came before. Rich descriptions really puts you in the story. The characters are well drawn and loyal to who they are. And I'm a sucker for planet hopping. In a world where magic has been forgotten a marauding race from another planet and the stuff of legends shows up. A band of accidental heroes must save the day. This story never got old and I am definitely checking out the rest of this series.
Hayley L. Morgan
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, reviewed
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my review in any way and the thoughts expressed are my own.

A good high fantasy with well-developed characters and an intriguing plot. Though it was slow at first. In a few places I found I wanted the plot to move faster than it was which was very frustrating but when it did speed up it was definitely worth it. The world building was very intriguing and I enjoyed how everyone did
Peter Marshall
Jan 16, 2019
Chrys Cymri
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
There was much to admire about this book.

The main characters are not your usual fantasy fodder. I always love stories in which women are equals, on the battlefield as well as anywhere else, and one of the main characters is a swordswoman. The older male soldier is a nice, sometimes almost comedic chap, and his love interest is a woman his own age who is a cook. Then we have the cowardly, mercenary young man and the strong giant to round everything off.

There were unexpected turns to liven things
Charles Remington
Feb 03, 2017
A.J. Culey
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Trollid by Alistair Potter. With an immediately engaging beginning and truly exceptional world building, I was drawn into the story from the very first scene.

What I enjoyed the most about this fantasy-quest-adventure tale were the characters. Moleskin was delightfully complicated (so predictable in his greed, so plagued by bad luck, yet so unexpectedly helpful in dire situations, he was perhaps my favorite character). Bort had unexpected depths that we just keep le
Stefanie Barnes
May 12, 2018
Charles Remington
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An elderly wizard uses his awesome powers to open a world gate on the peaceful pastoral planet of Nephus and as a result, enables an invading horde of reptilian aliens to pass through and launch a merciless attack on the mainly agricultural population. The Last Trollid (The Sunset of Magic – Book 1) by Alistair Potter chronicles how the unprepared and ill-equipped inhabitants fight a hopeless battle to try to save their planet. As the casualties mount, the operators of the field kitchen, one Ida ...more
Serena
Adam Smith
May 04, 2018

• We Call It Monster
  • Always Gray in Winter
  • Incensa (The Quadrant, #1)
  • Toys in the Attic (Spooky Lucas Mystery #1)
A writer of Science Fiction and Fantasy, Alistair Potter lives and works in the Scottish seaside town of Portobello, just outside of Edinburgh.

Alistair has been writing since 1993 and placing  short stories, cartoons and poetry in small publications. His work has been read on the BBC Radio4, Scottish Shorts series, and he is former recipient of a Scottish Arts Council New Writer's Bursary.

"I ho