Start by marking “Vice City (Vice City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vice City (Vice City, #1)

Read Book

Vice City

(Vice City #1)

After twenty years as an enforcer for the Vice family mob, Nicholas Pierce shouldn’t bat an eye at seeing a guy get worked over and tossed in the river. But there’s something about the suspected police mole, Miles, that has Pierce second-guessing himself. The kid is just trying to look out for his brother any way he knows how, and the altruistic motive sparks an uncharacte ...more
Published June 20th 2017 by DSP Publications

To ask other readers questions about Vice City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vice City

Mwanamali
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, m-m-romance, meh, lgbtq
Well, I went into this book blinder than a bat suffering from glaucoma. I didn't think about it. I didn't check the blurb. I didn't check reviews. Nothing.

So Friday I decided to go for it. I needed something to completely occupy my mind apart from my mind numbing job and the fact that I am leaving it at the end of the month for something a lot riskier. And I also needed not to think about Chester. And this book didn't fully achieve that.

Vice City- as the cover suggests- has undertones of crime,
Lyn
This book was truly gangster. The characters walked the walk and talked the talk like you would see on television. The violence was abundant. I wouldn't consider this book romantic by any means.
I'm rating this 3 stars because only Nicholas' (the mob enforcer) pov is given. I didn't like that. I felt like I was only getting half of the story. Sometimes only one pov works in a story, but it didn't in this one. Not for me anyway.
The ending was happy for now. If book two is a continuation of Nicho
Am4u ❀ ~ AprilMarie4u ~ ❀
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ~ Fans of MM Romance & Mafia books. ~

Book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review via the MMRG Don’t Buy My Love Program.

Rating:

5 Stars

Genres:

MM Romance, Organized Crime, Action, Suspense

Likes:

Everything. The dialogue, characters, sub-characters, story pace, plots, subplots, the writing style... everything.

I read the Amazon sample first before deciding if I wanted to r2r this. And I knew right off from chapter one that this was going to be my kind of story.

This book does have a gritty & serious f
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, lbr, ebook

4.5 stars - This story grabbed me right away. It had a certain feel to it, almost like the movie, Sin City, which is based on a graphic novel. It is gritty and dark, and the way it is written, makes you feel like you are watching the story as it is being told to you. I would not normally be a fan of this type of storytelling, but it fit this story so well that it ended up being one of the things I loved about it.

The story begins with Miles in a bad situation getting beat up by mafia thugs who be
Reflection
'He thinks of me like a dog. I knew— I’ve always known— but right now it’s difficult to hear. He’ll throw me away when he’s done with me. Just like he does everyone else. Without a second thought.'

Dark and gritty, 'Vice City' is an intense story chock full of realistic violence and brutality, and yet it is bursting with acerbic wit and a dry black humour that has me totally enchanted.

Nicholas Pierce has unquestioning loyalty to his crime boss Nick Vice, and from a young age has risen through
Lisa
This was a new author to me and I would have not read this book if it had not been for the Authors promotion thread in the MM Romance Group.
The blurb looked intriguing.
A family's enforcer who had been in the job for 20 years, meets a younf guy who he keeps from getting killed and gradually thinks about getting out.
I loved Pierce and Miles' relationship. I think it is the beginnings of something great. I surely hope that there will be further books in the series. I need to see what happens to the
Serena Yates
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dark, gritty books about the mob and crime and enforcers are not my usual fare – but the description for this one grabbed my attention. Why? The short answer is a combination of the characters, the decisions and conflicts they face, and the everlasting hope that even men as tough and desperate as these guys might be able to squeeze a happy ending out of a fate that has been pretty relentlessly sh*tty to both of them so far.

Please find my full review on Rainbow Book Reviews.
James Cox
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dirty in the best way, lol. I really liked this book!
Elaine White
Book – Vice City (Vice City #1)
Author – S.A. Stovall
Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages – 239
Cover – Perfect!
POV – 1st person, present tense, one character
Would I read it again – Yes!
Genre – LGBT, Crime, Mystery

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK FOR MY READING PLEASURE **
Reviewed for Divine Magazine

Wow, that was one explosive, original take on the mafia sub-genre.

Before I go any further, there are some content warnings – the story deals with drugs, death, murder, very light Dom/sub elements, the usual Mafia a
Lisa The Novel Approach
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
As a lover of noir and crime fiction, I highly recommend this first book in what will hopefully be a very long and satisfying series. Our protagonist, Nick Pierce, was ‘saved’ from a life of poverty by the Vice family mob, and has single-mindedly worked for them as a head enforcer for twenty years, killing and torturing people for cold cash. He’s pretty good at what he does and has made some considerable money, but he lives a rather bleak existence: he has no friends, is most definitely an alcoh ...more
Line
I bought this on a sale from DSP, and normally I would be more careful with how I spend my money, since impulse-buys would ruin me within 3-5 business days I believe...
description
But the blurb and the cover caught my attention, and for ONCE I can pat my 'spending-habits' on the back and tell them: "Good job!"

This book was... Not what I expected! It was better and weirder and more different, and still hit the mark for douchebag-mob-type-dude with a side of gruesome.
There were some pretty graphic beatings, a
Natalie
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dreamspinner, m-m
Well that was different. This was kind of gritty, noir, gangster/criminal story but sometimes felt like a caricature of a gritty, noir gangster/criminal story. Pierce relates the entire story and with only his POV, it was difficult to get a complete sense of the other characters, most importantly, Miles. It was clear that despite Pierces cynical, world-weary attitude, he had a squishy piece of heart in there somewhere. It was still hard to see what kept Miles attracted to him, when he treated hi ...more
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
It’s not all death and bullets. There’s a love story in here and it plays out with the city backdrop. I really found myself reading this and being pulled under the sway of the authors talent. Add in all the action, intriguing characters and hot sex, what more can you possibly want? And those sex scenes *gasps*, wow!

FULL REVIEW - http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/reviews/...
Ralph Walker
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stovall has taken a classic crime story and twisted it in new and unexpected ways. Pierce is a complex anti-hero rendered in a way where it is hard to root for him or against him. Every page promises a new surprise. Check it out.
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This gangster story is a gritty, gripping adrenaline rush. Nick Pierce is a ruthless mob enforcer who surprises himself when he rescues a kid he should have killed. Miles is a street rat caught up in mob business he doesn’t understand. As violence between rival gangs escalates, Pierce and Miles fight for their lives. This is an unusual book. It isn’t at all what I expected but I really loved it.

The action doesn’t stop in this
Joyfully Jay
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Vice City is something of a conundrum. It’s fairly well written, at times taut and action packed, and it has more than a couple intriguing characters. It’s also somewhat confused about it wants to be and has a plot that seems tired and worn and lingers too long. Let’s start with the good stuff. There is an element of noir about Vice City and despite the fact Pierce is on the wrong side of the law, he’s pragmatic and honest and it’s easy to picture him with a cocked
Tex Reader
3.5 of 5 stars - Hot Gay Romance in an Edgy Underworld.
[Thanks to the author and Goodreads' MMRG Don't Buy My Love program for a free copy in exchange for an honest review]

I love gay crime thrillers and romance, and this one provided me with both in an edgy story set in an underworld that I wanted to know more about, but still provided me with some tension-filled entertainment.

I like noir, but not typically the gangster variety; yet Shami Stovall gave me enough in her debut novel that enticed m
Leigh Lorien
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book grew on me. At first, I didn't buy Pierce's interest in Miles--Pierce is a top enforcer for a mob family and has been killing people for 20 years. Nothing Miles did in their first encounter seemed amazing enough to warrant attention and mercy from a guy who's been killing people for as long as Miles has been alive.

But once I got past that hang-up, I liked the characters, and that's my biggest requirement in any book. Miles
Evette
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, what in the world did I just read?  Pierce is not a good man, nor does he pretend to be. When he meets Miles there is a connection that he tries so hard to deny, but tiny step by tiny step Miles becomes an impossible to lose part of Pierce's life.  Unfortunately real life gets in the way and the whole mobstah lifestyle crashes in.

Not a lot of pretty or sunshine in this book, even Pierce and Miles' tender moments have an incredibly hard edge. Rooting for them ensures that others will die, bu
B.B. Swann
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! That's the first thing I have to say about this book. It had everything I love in a story: action, suspense, humor, romance, mystery. Though it was a little outside my normal realm, I was instantly drawn in. A wonderfully rendered crime thriller with characters filled with quirks and problems. I loved watching the characters change a grow as their story progressed, especially Pierce and Miles. (No spoilers here! You'll have to read to find out.) There were also plenty of side characters who ...more
B.A. Brock
A gritty and thrilling noir, with a gay mobster and a kid who sticks his foot into the door of the mobster’s heart. I wouldn’t call this a romance, but the relationship felt real and fulfilling, even if it didn’t have your standard happy ending. That’s all the warning you get! If you love noir and reluctant heroes, you should definitely give this a read. The characterizations were fantastic and the plot was evenly paced–I could easily see this on the shelf next to Patterson and Sandford.
Kazza
Jul 30, 2017 added it
Review to come
Christina's Bookshelf
I fell head over heels in love with this book. It had a very Sin City feel to it; dark, gritty, dirty, yet hopeful.

You can see my full review: http://christinasbookshelf.net/2017/0...
Ivy
Full review at :

description

Pierce is the head enforcer of the Vice Family, a mafia family who controls Noimore city.
One day, he was supposed to “take care” of a young man, Miles, who is a suspected mole.
Without knowing why himself, Pierce decides to spare Miles’s life and takes him under his wing.
Miles has one goal, find his brother Jayden and move out of town. When Pierce saves his life and helps him to find and save his brother, Miles’ prior
Elisa Rolle
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
2017 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention: Vice City S.A. Stovall
1) Let’s start with the basics. The author has a strong command of grammar, spelling, and punctuation. This should be a given, but I find it increasingly rare these days, so it was a relief to discover that the book was well-written. The only exception to this is phrases such as “who might try and stop us.” The correct word is “to,” not “and.” One might excuse the main character since he hasn’t even graduated high school, but he speaks
Annie
Suprisingly great

Dark, mafia books aren’t typically my thing by any stretch, yet the blurb and cover of Vice City intrigued me. My only regret was that I started it during my work week; otherwise, this is a book that would have kept me voraciously reading into the wee hours. The suspense and characters were captivating, complete with a dark edge that kept the book raw and left me balanced on the edge of my seat. Vice City was by far one of the more intriguing books I’ve read this year. Every tim
ItsAboutTheBook
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: whit
Review can be read at It's About The Book

Vice City is a dark and gritty tale about a mob style family locked in a turf war with a rival gang. Pierce is the main enforer of the Vice family. He’s their go to to make sure ANYTHING that needs done gets done. Pierce is not what most people would consider a good man considering he kills and tortures people for the mob. He has a moment of weakness when during the interrogation of about a young guy new to their organization. They think he’s a snitc
Tammy
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First time reading from the author.
I thought it was well done. The characters were likable. It had enough action and stuff going on to keep ones interest. There were couple of spots that seemed slow, but it would pick back up. Never a dull moment as things went down around them. Miles and Pierce have chemistry and can heat up the pages.
Got ARC for an honest review.
Thank you for sharing your book with me.
Les Joseph
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had NO idea what to expect when I picked up new-to-me author S.A. Stovall's Vice City. None. The blurb and the cover were enough to grab my attention so when I dived in, boy was I ever surprised. Murder, mayhem, crime galore ... all within the first few pages. Yeah, it might not have been what I was expecting when I started, but it sure did keep me reading. And reading. And reading. If noir fiction with dark and gritty writing, imagery, and undertones are your thing, you definitely do not want ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
World, Writing, W...: Just released: VICE CITY (Underworld Thriller) 9 12 Sep 18, 2017 04:59PM
  • Bone to Pick (Digging Up Bones, #1)
  • Long Shadows (Common Law, #1)
  • Chasing Shadows
  • Splintered  (Splintered #1)
  • Looking for Trouble
  • Love at First Hate (Porthkennack, #11)
  • Secrets (The Full Nelson #1)
  • A Detached Raider (The Black Raiders #1)
  • Can't Hide from Me
  • Something Human
  • Spring (The Haunted Heart, #2)
  • Cited to Death (Jamie Brodie Mystery, #1)
  • Revolutionary Temptation (Revolutionaries, #1)
  • The Puritan Pirate (Pirates of Port Royal, #1)
  • Slasherazzi
  • L.A. Mischief (L.A., #2)
  • A Love Song for the Sad Man in the White Coat
  • The Fangs of Scavo (Stoker & Bash, #1)
S.A. Stovall grew up in California’s central valley with a single mother and little brother. Despite no one in her family having a degree higher than a GED, she put herself through college (earning a BA in History), and then continued on to law school where she obtained her Juris Doctorate.

As a child, Stovall’s favorite novel was Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell. The adventure on a des

Vice City (2 books)
  • Vice Enforcer (Vice City #2)
“Yeah. Of course I can do simple math. I graduated high school, ya know.”
“What an accomplishment. No one has ever done that before.”
1 likes
“There are too many questions and not enough painkillers in the world to get through them all.” 0 likes