Start by marking “Wildwood Academy (Wunderkids, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wildwood Academy (Wunderkids, #1)

Wildwood Academy

(Wildwood Academy #1)

15-year-old Nikka is invited to attend Wildwood Academy, a prestigious but secret boarding school for talented youth located deep in the Californian mountains. Once there, Nikka quickly falls in love with her bizarre classes, the jaw-dropping scenery and... two very different boys.

However, Wildwood Academy has a dark and twisted secret, one that could cost Nikka the one
Published March 20th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Wildwood Academy, please sign up.
Jacqueline Silvester Hello Darren! There is no sex or foul language present in the book. It received a 12+rating in a few countries due to there being cocktails mentioned…moreHello Darren! There is no sex or foul language present in the book. It received a 12+rating in a few countries due to there being cocktails mentioned in one scene. I think it's a lot less drastic than The Hunger Games which includes a lot of death and gore. Hope that answers your question :)(less)

Start your review of Wildwood Academy (Wunderkids, #1)
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Nikka gets a whirlwind acceptance to a prestigious school for talented teenagers as a scholarship student.  Her single mother and herself sign on the dotted line without reading all the rules and Nikka's life begins to change dramatically.  While she remains concerned about her mother, she has to deal with her own social pressures, two boys and a strange occurrence that sets her inquisitive nature on fire.

Although my first loves in books are horror and psychological thrillers, YA fol
Anastasia Terendiy
❗BOTH ENGLISH AND RUSSIAN REVIEW❗

◼e n g l i s h
Book, which I've wanted to read since September '16. Typical YA book. Main character is artist Nikka, who meets at Wildwood Academy two friends — Integral and Stella, and two boys — Isaa and Tristan. Tristan is hiding a huge secret and I started to love him even more after he'd told about it Nikka and us. To be honest, there wasn't anything during first few chapters, but then action and huge detective story happened. I've guessed,
Χρύσα Αναστασίου
Okay... So, do you know that feeling of great excitement and anticipation we sometimes get when we're about to read a book and then, when we actually have the book in our hands and start reading it, well... we stop feeling that way for some reason and we cannot continue reading anymore. That's what happened to me with Wunderkids. I really wanted to read this book and like it but I didn't and I feel bad about it but I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review and here it is.
Chez
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
OMG! This book, I can't believe it!
First of all; there was a love-triangle, but not like the normal annoying one. Well...I didn't find it annoying....

Then; BOARDING SCHOOL! I absolutely love boarding school stories!

And lastly; That ending was INSANE! The beginning and middle of the book started easy and you just flowed through your normal boarding school story, then BOOM! Illegal activity, on the run group of kids, fake identities, crazy doctors enzo...
The end was so fast pac
Chelsea Girard
I would like to start off with saying I could not put this book down. Jacqueline Silvester is my new favourite author by far, I was captivated with every word and stunned with every chapter. This book turned coming of age to investigation super quick and I could not be more pleased with how it ended. Of course, I was not expecting the ending and I NEED to read Part 2 when it comes out but yes, by far my new favourite read.

For a short run-down for those who are interested in reading Wunderkid
Vasilisa
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english

I have to admit Wunderkids has a very interesting concept. It feels different from other Young Adult books and it's nice to see something fresh out there. So at the beginning I truly enjoyed reading it and was fully immersed in Wildwood Academy: the writing was light and beautiful, the story itself intrigued me and the characters surprisingly weren't annoying as many other YA-characters are.

But when I was somewhere around page 150 I realized that nothing is really happenin
Paige Green
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4/5

Genre: YA Contemporary/Mystery

Recommended Age: 12+

Favorite Quote: "'Nikka I'm a hacker, I'm above the Yellow Pages. And I looked it up online, she's unlisted anyways.'"

I was provided a free copy of this book by the author. This did not influence my decision in any way.

"15-year-old Nikka is invited to attend Wildwood Academy, a prestigious but secret boarding school for talented youth located deep in the Californian mountains.
Em
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nikka's life is one move after another. State after state, city after city. Her mother, a fashion designer and free spirit, prefers to go with the flow, and see where life will take her. Everything happens for a reason, and it will all work out in her mind. Nikka, the more sensible of the two and the one who tries to keep everything in some form of order, is the only one concerned when an admission pack from a prestigious school arrives. Down on their luck, their options dried up, Nikka accepts ...more
Kirsty Stanley
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

Book one of the Wunderkids series sees main character Nikka receive an invite to Wildwood Academy. A very secretive and secluded boarding school for the talented. Surviving high school is hard enough without what the students here have to face.

For some strange reason I think I expected an x-men academy style story with super mutanty talented youngsters. Instead the talents are a little more highly gifted human but the story itself is creepy, teen angsty and thrilling. I fou
Maria Sinclair
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a Harry Potter fan, any book featuring a mysterious boarding school hidden away from prying eyes is a must read for me. When you add welcome snacks of elderflower lemonade and mint macaroons to the equation, I am packing my bags and enrolling myself!

Although all the standard YA components are present in Wunderkids, the clueless young girl entering a world she knows next to nothing about, the potential love triangle, the bitchy rival student, Jacqueline Silvester’s writing is such
Charlotte Burns
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh Jacqueline, what are you doing to me with that ending? When is the next book? Is it now? Now is good.

I do love a boarding school story, and Wunderkids is an extraordinary boarding school story. Wildwood only takes the most talented children. There are sinister rumours, outsiders with conspiracy theories that could be true; the rules are strict, the education is strange and there is something not quite right going on in the Medical Centre. The staff are unnerving with a bizarre int
Emma-louise Smith
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wow, wow!!! What a book. I started this without any expectations and I have been blown away. I enjoyed this so much.

I couldn’t stop reading, everything about it was engaging and kept me needing to read more.

I loved the characters. Nikka is very easy to relate to and you can see why she does the things she does. Her loyalty to her friends is unwavering even in times when they don’t deserve it. Sums is such a fun character, the sort you would want to be friends with fo
Gemma
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
So this was my first read of 2018 and I feel like I definitely started the year as I mean to go on. When I was first offered a copy of this book I read the synopsis and I knew it would be something that I would enjoy. To be honest, when I first started reading it I realized it wasn't what I was expecting. From the initial synopsis I thought there was going to be elements of fantasy in this novel but that wasn't the case. Small elements of sci-fi maybe but definitely no fantasy. It actually turne ...more
Kerry Bratton
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg I need the second instalment now!!
Finished cover to cover in a day. Loved it and totally gripped at the end with so many more questions than answers.

The characters are well written and likeable, even the not so nice characters are likeable in their own way. Although it’s set at a boarding school it is not your typical school and isn’t based entirely with kids skipping classes or them not liking a teacher. The kids get to know one another and form strong and solid relationships within their
Okuta Otherside
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got the ebook of this book from the author and I'm so excited to read this because i heard a lot of good things about this book.
First, i love how the author write the story. I love it already since i read the first chapter of this book. It's captivating and i'm unconsciously read this book so fast just because i want to know what's next.
Second, i love the characters. I love Nikka, Sums, Izaya and Tristan. I'm not quite fond of Stella though, but i feel bad with what happen to her.
Third, i l
Bárbara Oliveira
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
"given a free copy in exchange for an honest review”

This book was given to me by the author and I can't thank her enough for it. This books was completely phenomenal and an easy reading. I completely adored it and how smart, talented and curious Nikka is.

15-year-old Nikka is invited to attend Wildwood Academy, a prestigious but secret boarding school for talented youth located deep in the Californian mountains. She is completely sceptic at first and with reason. Her life was not goo
Amanda
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Good debut novel by a promising author. The lower ranking is tied to the casual treatment of drunk driving in the story. A minor character is an alcoholic and chronic drunk driver, and this is treated as a shrug, oh well, it’s the way it is. The mom goes as far as to force her daughter to ride in the car with this clearly drunk driver just because she wants to manipulate the daughter. There’s no consequences for the drunk driver at any point in the story, not a great message in a YA novel.
Rosie Cranie-Higgs
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of adventure I dreamed about when I was younger. A special, mysterious school? Check. Wild surroundings? Check. Dark, brooding boys? Check. Peril and a lot of running? Check, check, check.

WUNDERKIDS was very hard to put down. I loved the realistic characters, not perfect at all but human; I loved the twists that I did NOT expect, turning the other books like this on their heads; and I absolutely loved the ending. Who’s good? Who’s bad? How on earth do they get out of this? It’s
Melanie Thomas
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book follows a talented young artist, Nikka, who gets unexpectedly accepted to a prestigious private boarding school, and the danger she gets into when she and her friends uncover secrets that were intended to stay hidden.

This is an interesting premise and reasonably well executed by the author, despite a few little slip ups (like a mention of changing out of school uniform when a big deal had been made prior about the fact none of them were wearing their uniforms). Although I g
Alexandra
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story impressed me with the amount of details thus helping me to easily orient in the universe of Wildwood Academy.
My experience with this book was enjoyable, it is a good and fast pacing read. I noticed that chapters don’t end with cliffhangers which, in my experience, is a rarity in ya literature. And so I was extra surprised with the ending and I am now very hungry for the part 2 🌪

Such story is a very good example for teenagers to listen to their instincts, to question thing
Hannah Rae
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, children
Oh my gosh you guys, this book is one hell of a rollercoaster! I loved and devoured every chapter, page, sentence and word of this story and I cannot wait until the second book comes out. Such a unique and intriguing plot line that will keep you turning the page. The characters are amazing, diverse and there’s so much development it’s great!

If you haven’t already, seriously buy this and read this, don’t let the length of this book put you off as the pages will fly by! So glad I bough
Dana
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a captivating new YA book. Just when fifteen year old Nikka's mom is struggling financially, Nikka is accepted into a prestigious boarding school that she has never heard of. She is an artist, but the school also includes musicians, math whizzes and other talented teens. Nikka makes friends with several students and they realize that there are things about the boarding school that are not right. Can they solve the mystery and survive? This is the first book in a series and I look forward ...more
Bridgett Brown
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, fantasy
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.
15 year old Nikka is invited to attend Wildwood Academy, a prestigious but secret boarding school for talented youth located deep in the Californian mountains. And she has never heard of. She is an artist, but the school also includes other talented teens. Nikka makes friends with several students and they realize that there are things about the boarding school that are not right. Nikka needs to find out what is going on before it's too late and she
Mary (bookish_dia)
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
) *this book was provided by author* (eBook)
Well I won't spoil the story for anybody but let me just say this.... this books was awesome! Like really awesome I was literally awe-struck!
I really liked the plot, all those twists, the pace of the story and obv the Characters!! Sums is one of my fav character... I mean he is a real genius after all. Thank you so much author-san for the eBook. The ending was a real cliffhanger and now I can't wait for part 2!
Brittany Smith
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
So the idea of the book was absolutely brilliant! It was a bit slow to start but that’s due to background and character building. But then all of a sudden it’s “hold on to your hats!” There were some great twists and turns and the characters really did come together and made it so special! I look forward to reading the next instalment!!!
Liisa Stover
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I really enjoyed this book, but I wish it had been better edited. I counted 6 grammatical errors that really leaped off the pages and I have had some bad experiences with books that had errors so glaring, luckily this wasn’t one of them. I liked most of the characters and their relationships. I especially liked Sums.
Leigh
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
I really enjoyed Wunderkids, I found the characters really engrossing and engaging.
The story was well rounded and drew you in from the get go.
Nikka was a fabulous lead who was a fierce friend, confused teenage and rebellious student who wasn't afraid to question her situation all rolled into one fabulous girl.
This original and whilst far fetched story really grabs your imagination and wills you to keep reading to see where it will go, and believe me it does not disappoint.
I am impa
Eirini Ampatzi
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Would wholeheartedly recommend !

Easy and fun fantasy series with a deeper message. If you’ve read Matched or the Delirium series you will love this. I will definitely be getting book 2!
Jess (terrifyinglyfictional)
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75

Very interesting read!

I loved the characters in this novel so much! The writing style was okay; not the greatest to me.

I thought the beginning was a little weird and cheesy but it gets better.

Also, the ending stunned me!
Hannah
Jan 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF page 60... I’m amazed people are rating this so highly. The characters were very one dimensional and unlikeable, what I read was very rushed and the events were far too convenient.

• An Incidental Lovestyle (The Lovestyle Series Book 3)
  • The Grace Year
  • Undercover Princess (The Rosewood Chronicles, #1)
  • Costa del Churros
  • Sleepless (Red Eye)
  • Ferney
  • 100 Days of Sunlight
  • King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)
  • The Day We Meet Again
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Ever Alice
  • This is How it Happened
  • The Exchange
  • Just What Kind of Mother Are You?
  • Me Myself & Him
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • Eternal Seas (The Relic Hunters, #1)
  • Daughter of the Burning City
Jacqueline has had a colourful and dual life thus far; she's lived in a refugee camp in Sweden, a castle in France, a village in Germany, and spent her formative years in between Los Angeles, London and New York. As a result, she speaks four languages. In 4th grade she won her school's poetry contest and she has not stopped writing since. She has written in many forms ranging from poetry to screen ...more