Start by marking “After The Dark (Killer Instinct, #1)” as Want to Read:
After The Dark (Killer Instinct, #1)

After The Dark

(Killer Instinct #1)

In this gripping new series by New York Times bestselling author Cynthia Eden, a disgraced FBI profiler must save her reputation by stopping a sadistic killer she knows all too well.

Former FBI agent Samantha Dark was one of the most respected profilers in the bureau, an expert on the twisted minds and dark hearts of the most depraved criminals. But when her own former love

Published April 1st 2017 by MIRA (first published March 28th 2017)

Sabrina
NOW LIVE!
*Amazon*B&N*

After the Dark kicks off a brand new Romantic Suspense series from Cynthia Eden. I am in love with how this author can create such entrapping novels and she always has the ability to suck me into her stories. In this book we meet Samantha Dark, an FBI profiler now off the force, and her ex-partner Blake Gamble. Sam left the FBI after they placed the blame on her for letting a serial killer get away, so she went home to Alabama. But now there's a very familiar killer afte
Alex ♈

Strong badass heroine, highly intelligent woman.
Strong devoted hero.
Interesting storyline. Very intense.

Maybe some small inaccuracies… but I won’t complain – much better than any average they sell us in this genre.

“How many bad things can happen to a person… before they start to lose their soul?”

Jo
Once you cross some lines, there is no going back...

Four months ago former FBI agent and gifted profiler Samantha Dark realised she wasn’t infallible when it turned out that her former lover and close friend was the very serial killer they had been hunting for months. Devastated by her inability to see the monster close to her and used as the scapegoat for the FBI’s failure, Samantha fled and returned to her hometown of Alabama.

But when her former partner, the sexy Blake Gamble tracks her

Nazanin
5++ Stars

"The instinct to live is so strong in some people. I’ve been surprised by how strong. They can withstand almost any pain, as long as they have the hope that they’ll live. That they’ll escape."

Wow, Ms. Eden did it again like always! This story was so amazing, exciting and thrilling like all her other books. I love her writing in romantic-suspense. She is so talented in this genre. Such a great talent to picture some sick killers.

Samantha is a profiler for the FBI. But she made a mistake
Jaya
Well... That was pretty intense. I usually don't have a good experience with this author but finished this book in one sitting.
Definitely going for the next installment in the series.
♥Rachel♥
3.5 Stars

FBI Profiler Samantha Dark is shaken after finding out her former lover, Dr. Cameron Latham is a murderer, and she’s fired in the aftermath. All the signs were there in front of her, but she never thought Cameron would be capable of such darkness. Licking her wounds, she moves back to her hometown, all the while trying to track down Cameron before he strikes again, because Samantha knows he’s not done.

Blake, Samantha’s former partner, has never doubted her abilities and knew she was un
Shawna
5 stars - Romantic Suspense

I was looking forward to this one after reading the promising, edgy prequel story, The Gathering Dusk, and After the Dark didn't disappoint. Cynthia Eden has delivered another dark, thrilling romantic suspense series, and I'm looking forward to Tucker's book, Before the Dawn.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This was good but as another reviewer mentioned , the flowery descriptions really took me out of the story especially with such intense characters, who cares how the water slicked off his hair. It was still enjoyable nonetheless, on to the next one.
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Year 2018 Reading Challenge: Romantic Suspense

How has Cynthia Eden escaped my radar? There ain’t no escaping me now! After the Dark and its prequel, The Gathering Dusk, are smart and sexy romantic suspense stories that checked most of my boxes (despite a cover that inexplicably portrays a blonde couple when the hero and heroine both have black – not even brown, but black – hair).

"You're Samantha Dark. No one breaks you. No one undermines you. You make them eat
Ann Lou
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 I love Samantha Dark stars!

Don't get me wrong, I liked the H - Blake too.  He was protective of her but I feel like Sam overshadowed him all the way.

"The thing about profiling killers... Once you learned to think lile them, you never learned how to stop."

Her father figure's faith in her was humbling and for me, a testament of how strong she is.

"You're Samantha Dark.  No one breaks you.  No one undermines you.  You make them eat shit, and you make them enjoy every bite."

Fast paced with hot
Mei
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This would have been much better without flowery descriptions of the main characters!

Maybe I'm overwhelmed by all the descriptions of how much succulent the heroiine's lips were, ot how large the hero's shoulders were, but here it was out of place, IMHO.

The grisly murders, where the villain is known and was best friend and lover of the heroine, clashed with these cheesy descriptions!
Marta Cox
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, my-reviews
Four months ago Samantha made the biggest mistake of her life, she let a murderer escape . Now this ex profiler for the FBI has to live with the fact that her best friend and sometimes lover Cameron isn't the clean cut guy she thought no he's dark, cunning and a psychopath . Samantha may appear to be licking her wounds but her thoughts don't stray too much from the events that saw her losing all credibility . When her former partner Blake shows up it's clear that the case is far from closed and ...more
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

After the Dark was less a romance and more a police thriller, but that didn’t take away from the great storyline and drama that made this an entertaining book to read.

Ex-FBI profiler Samantha Dark has just been fired from her position with the bureau and has retreated to her hometown to regroup after letting a serial killer escape. The long standing friendship and physical relationship between her and Cameron, the suspected killer, caused her hesitation during the arrest, allowing him to escape
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Killer Instinct series by Cynthia Eden. Former FBI agent Samantha Dark relocates to Alabama after her career is destroyed. But then her former partner, Blake Gamble, shows up to ask for her help in finding a serial killer. The killer was a former lover of Samantha's and the cause of her leaving the FBI.

Cynthia Eden is one of those "go to" authors that I find comfort in. If I want a good story I know I can take comfort in knowing that Ms. Eden will come through for me. Whil
Dísir
The stylistic hallmarks of Cynthia Eden never show up more clearly than in her romantic suspense thrillers: the unapologetically tense atmosphere, the brutality of the murders, the psychopathic killer(s) and the characters with their own baggage that hinder them from moving on properly. If it all sounds somewhat repetitive, it’s because it is to an extent, but Eden manages to make every crime story fresh despite the similarities of her the tortured heroines and alpha heroes who tend to populate ...more
RachelW (BamaGal)
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This was well written as always and I will read the next book; but it contained my least favorite cliché in all of romantic suspense - the incredibly unrealistic trope of the killer making the cop/FBI agent their newest target of prey. Are you investigating the case or running for your life? Disappointing.

On the plus side, this RS series looks to be a really good one, in the vein of Eden's excellent "Deadly" series. She stopped writing that one far too soon.
Lyndi W.
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
Y'all. Cynthia Eden is the shit. She's quickly become one of my favorite romantic suspense writers and I really enjoy the stories located on the Gulf Coast. I felt like there were a few predictable moments, but the writing draws you in so well that even if you've seen this particular trope before, it doesn't register as a trope. Looking back I'm thinking "Well, that bit near the beginning wasn't all that original, now that I think about it..." but when I read it, I was so engrossed and entertain ...more
The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha)
Link to full review below! So freaking good!! Will hook you right away! See full review on The Book Disciple
Dana
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first read from Ms. Eden and it won't be the last.

Samantha Dark is a FBI profiler along with her partner, Blake Gamble, they are tasked with finding a serial killer.

Unbeknownst to Samantha, the killer is closer than she could imagine.

The suspense was on par for a Romantic suspense book, I do wish Blake would have been more of an alpha male, but overall good book. I look forward to continuing this series.
Carissa
Ohhhh, I really liked this one. The beginning was a bit different from any suspenseful reads I have read before. I look forward to the others in this series.

#LibraryLoveChallenge
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***ARC Provided by the Publisher via NetGalley and Social Butterfly PR***

This story grabs you from the beginning and, oddly, even though it is in the blurb, you kind of forget the direction it is going at the beginning (at least I did) and it makes this story shock you from the opening chapter.

Samantha and Blake were great together. You really like both of them, and you respect Blake. The idea that he was attracted to her the entire time they were partners (which you get a glimpse of in the shor
Book Him Danno
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you loved her Deadly series you are going to love Killer Instinct series.

Cynthia Eden has a way to twist and turn readers as she pulls the readers into the dark minds of serial killers. The author keeps readers on their edge of their seats even when they already know the outcome of the story she keep the readers hooked to ever single word.
Cynthia Edens romantic suspense novels are always the hunter vs the hunted. The game of wits is what keeps mystery readers hook and romance reads love how
Elodie
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New suspense book by Cynthia Eden ? Oh, no big deal, it's not like her other series LOST is my absolute favorite of all time... OH WAIT

description

description
Timitra
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rated 4.5 Stars

Cynthia Eden has a knack for writing Romantic Suspense that grabs your attention from the first sentence and does not let you go until the very last one. After The Dark was no different. It was filled with edge of the seat suspense and pulse pounding action, I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Farah ファラ
This story started well but as it went on, it became repetitive, the well trained, intelligent, great in their jobs FBI Agents acted as if they were still in the Academy. Let's start with the romance aspect, Samantha and Blake were partners, the attractions appeared almost immediately but they didn't pursue it as it was against the rules. They picked up their working relationship several months after the serial killer case that caused Samantha her job. Blake did not waste anytime in hinting/tell ...more
Jessica Frances
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the Dark was a nail-biting, dark read about a serial killer and his obsession with our heroine. This showed you the mind of a killer, and kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see how they could outsmart him. Thrilling, exciting, gruesome, and with a delicious romance at the center, After the Dark is a read I wholeheartedly recommend to Eden fans, and anyone who enjoys romantic suspense.
Cheri
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by this author and I loved it! Great characters. FBI agent Samantha Dark is awesome and so is her partner Blake Gamble. Suspense, mystery, romance, steamy sex and lots of action.
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
After the Dark (Killer instinct #1) by Cynthia Eden
4 stars!!!

“…I can profile the killers because I look at a situation and I see how they can attack. I see—too easily—how they can pick the victims. I see what they are… And I fear what I am.”

After the Dark is a crime thriller that for a Criminal Minds addict like me was a must read. As soon as I see “FBI Profiler” I’m on it and After the Dark didn’t disappoint. There was a little romance thrown in to lighten the story but this was first and f
Laura the Highland Hussy
Review posted on Got Fiction?

This is book 1 in the Killer Instinct series, and it follows the prequel The Gathering Dusk. If you’ve been keeping track, Abduction fits in between the two books, but can be read as a stand-alone.

In the prequel, we’re introduced to Samantha Dark and her partner Blake, and while we see that she’s the latest up and coming profiler in the FBI, we also see that her boss cares a lot about how they present the Bureau in the media. When Sam botches a profile, and several g
Lucy Dosch
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cynthia Eden has a great grasp on grabbing a reader’s interest from the first page. Her new love of thrillers and this new series proves that she can keep the buzz of excitement going from the first page to the last.

There is a prequel to this story which just came out and is free on most ebook retailers. Get The Gathering Dusk

This story focuses on FBI Profiler Samantha Dark. Samantha finds out the hard way that her friend and former lover was not the man she thought he was. It does have a bit of
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Point Blank (Lawmen Book 4)
  • The Green-Eyed Doll
  • Such A Pretty Girl (FBI, #2)
  • Simon Says Die (Deadly Games, #2)
  • Cold Hearted (Cold Justice, #6)
  • If You See Her (The Ash Trilogy, #2)
  • By Her Touch (Blank Canvas, #2)
  • Manhunter (Wild Country #1)
  • Dangerous Deception
  • Midnight Lies (Wildefire, #2)
  • Nightfall
  • Lethal Pursuit (Bagram Special Ops, #3)
  • Killer Curves
  • In Safe Hands (Search and Rescue, #4)
Award-winning author Cynthia Eden writes sexy tales of contemporary romance, romantic suspense, and paranormal romance. She is a New York Times, USA Today, Digital Book World, and IndieReader best-seller. Since she began writing full-time in 2005, Cynthia has written over one hundred novels and novellas.

Cynthia lives along the Alabama Gulf Coast. She loves romance novels, horror movies, and chocol

Killer Instinct (3 books)
  • Before the Dawn (Killer Instinct, #2)
  • Into the Night (Killer Instinct #3)
“psychopaths aren’t necessarily monsters. They’re just...unemotional. Detached. Able to become such great surgeons, CEOs, lawyers...even profilers for the FBI...” 0 likes
“How many bad things can happen to a person...” Lewis asked, musing, “before they start to lose their soul?” 0 likes