Start by marking “The Only Harmless Great Thing” as Want to Read:
The Only Harmless Great Thing

The Only Harmless Great Thing

In the early years of the 20th century, a group of female factory workers in Newark, New Jersey slowly died of radiation poisoning. Around the same time, an Indian elephant was deliberately put to death by electricity in Coney Island.

These are the facts.

Now these two tragedies are intertwined in a dark alternate history of rage, radioactivity, and i
Published January 23rd 2018 by Tor.com Publishing

Start your review of The Only Harmless Great Thing
karen
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**congratulations on your nebula award! best novelette 2018! i do not love the word, but i love the win!**

in just under a hundred pages, brooke bolander figured out a way to rewrite american history so it’s even worse, develop two-and-change distinct storylines, flesh out the thoughts, traditions, mythologies, language, and other components of a cultural heritage belonging to a familiar nonhuman species, and drag the reader through puddles of sorrow and sick-feelings before shaking ‘em off into hope, triumph,
Elise (TheBookishActress)

This novella is a story about stealing back your narrative from those who wish to change it, to sanitize history and make their own actions sound good. It is a discussion of the animal capacity to feel and the morality of making animals props in our war. And it is
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Okay, after some very intensive, most scientific research, I have come to the following conclusion: this book was not written by Brooke Bolander but by her evil twin, Crooke Colander. Yes is has. I mean, how else would one explain that I almost quite nearly DNFed this story before the 20% mark? Now if that is isn’t the scientifically irrefutable proof that it is impossibly impossible for Brooke Bolander of the Glorious Talons and Luscious Trail of Dead to have written the present, most discombobulating story, I don’t know what is.

Indeed, my dear Spockie. Indeed.

The Only Harmless Great Thing is everything Bolander’s story usually aren’t: verbose as fish. Disjointed and clunky as shrimp. Confusing as squid. (Even more so if you’ve never heard of Topsy the Elephant and/or the Radium girls. So congrats to the author/editor/whatever for not giving an ounce of background information on either subjects. Ridiculously clueless readers such as my little self are most grateful and stuff.)

Worse, the writing smacks of self-complacency. Bolander waxes poetic like a crab on acid, tries way too hard to be lyrical and clever, and all emotions are lost in the process. This should have been a moving, dramatic, powerful story but it ended up being flatter than my favorite herd of ironing boards. Quite the achievement, that. Especially when you know how gripping, poignant and punch-packing some of Bolander’s stories are.

Yes it is, Hieronymus dear.

Nefarious Last Words (NLW™): I don’t know what the members of the Nebula Award jury smoked before they decided to pick this story as best novelette for 2018, but it must have been high quality stuff. I want some.

Pre-review nonsense

Actual rating: 2.385896211458 stars.

Who the bloody shrimp are you and what the stinking fish have you done with Brooke Bolander?!

Review to come and stuff.

Brooke Bolander Maths :

And You Shall Know Her by the Trail of The Dead

Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies

=

TO READ THIS POST HASTE I NEED.

Heidi The Reader
Author Brooke Bolander takes two unrelated historical events and ties them together in an effort to make a statement about the inherent darkness in humanity. Historically speaking, an elephant named Topsy was actually put to death by electrocution. The radium dial painters, whom you can read about in The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women, actually existed.

In this science fiction/alternative history story, elephants are a sentient race, forced to work where the radium
Cassandra
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So.

Caveats first: I'm another Tor.com author; I know Brooke Bolander as a friend. The draft I read? One of the earlier versions of the finished product, I'm sure.

But stranger, if you're here, combing through the wilds of Goodreads to see if this book is worth pre-ordering or buying, the answer's simple:

Yessssss.

The Only Harmless Great Thing is a raw nerve, played by an orchestra. A song of ache and ghosts, radium girls whispering from across the ether, a thousand bad th
Fiona
Try not to judge them; their mothers were short-lived, forgetful things, clans led by bulls with short memories and shorter tempers.

"Them" above being the human race - good luck not feeling at least a little judgy by the end of this excellent novella.

Combine the real world inspiration of Topsy the elephant, with another real life story of the Radium Girls, with another almost-true story of using glowing animals to warn future generations of nuclear waste hazards (happily someone remembered signs are a thing), and you
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 7k-challenge, sci-fi
I received this for free as part of Tor.com’s free ebook of the month club. I wasn’t terribly excited about it when I saw it. But free is free and it was quick so I took a chance, and I’m so glad I did!

First- content warnings, because this isn’t an easy book to stomach. (view spoiler)

I started this and admittedly had no idea what was going on. I thought it was
Alasdair Stuart
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brooke Bolander's work has been defined to date by a combination of relentlessly precise language and colossal emotion depth and focus. Her short fiction is seared through with images that linger after you've finished reading and turns of phrase that sit on the backs of your eyes like the after image of the Sun. There is nothing that she's written that is less than brilliant.

This is the best thing she's written to date.

Combining two separate historical atrocities, Bolande
Lata
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Combining the sad and sickening histories of the US radium dial painters and an abused and murdered elephant, Topsy, Brooke Bolander has crafted a tightly written, brutal story of corporate greed and inhumane treatment, with some beautiful, elephant myth-making.
Bradley
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2019-shelf
Oh, humanity, SHAME ON YOU.

This is a shamefest of shameful shenanigans, from Radium Girls to massive mistreatment of elephants...

But unlike us and our own grasp of history, THEY WILL REMEMBER. :)

I've read a few of Bolander's stories and they all struck me as hardcore. In the sense that they hit hard and make you feel it in your gut and gonads, barely letting up long enough to go for another sucker punch.

Let's face it. We don't look at the crap we do to ourselves very we
Silvana
I started this novelette with zero expectation, really. It was free from Tor.com so I grabbed it and put it away in my read-whenever shelf. And then it became a Nebula nominee. And then I read my friend's reviews that sing full praises.

I finished the novelette smiling. It is profound tale, much more than just an alternate history. I love the poetic quality of the non-human POV, especially since it was laced with mythology. I am a sucker for fighting injustice stories, and this one is
Matthew Quann
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, novella
A charming oddity, The Only Harmless Great Thing provided an evening of loquacious elephants, radiation, and some surprisingly tight writing. Though an atypical choice of subject matter, an alternate history of the radium girls crossed with intelligent and communicative elephants works surprisingly well. Alternating between a modern and 1920s-era storyline, Bolander positions the historical influence of the unfolding 1920s story as an impetus for the modern research-oriented tale. It makes for a tigh ...more
Acqua
3.75 stars.

The Only Harmless Great Thing is one of the most unusual books I've ever read. It's alternate history, and maybe it's even set in an alternate universe, as here elephants can talk with human through sign language.

Its premise is brilliant in its simplicity and weirdness: what if we combined the tragic story of Topsy the elephant with the tragic story of the Radium Girls? It's a great idea, really - in its very few pages, this novelette manages to talk about both the exploitation of women and/>Its/>The
Rachel Aranda
I received a free digital copy from Tor Publishing in exchange for an honest review. This in no way affects my opinion.

The premise was an interesting idea - a rewriting/reimagined history combining the female Newark workers affected by radiation in the early 1900s, and the electrocution of an elephant by Thomas Edison on Coney Island, which took place around the same time. This is a complicated novella to follow as we have 3 timelines: the elephant folklore, elephant workers at the radiation pl
Yodamom
Feb 01, 2019 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I am quitting this. The writing is just taking too much concentration for me to figure out who is talking, what they are talking about. It's only 100 pages but @ 15% felt like 500- It's not the book for me.
Elena C.
Read for the 2019 MacHalo Splendiferous Book Bingo Thingie: Matriarchs & Sirens.

Kat grew up, as most America children did, associating elephants with the dangers of radiation.

Books like The Only Harmless Great Thing are the very reason why I love reading: there's nothing like sitting back and gleefully enjoy the fruits of other people's creative efforts, especially when they reach such high peaks of awesomeness. Throw in a glass of good wine and a purring cat and that's the life, really. Brooke Bolander/>
RJ
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Glow in the dark elephants and the radium girls who love them. Bolander is a rising talent who concerns herself less with what she says and more with how she says it, much like the Bedknobs and Broomsticks song: "It really doesn't matter what I say, what I say, as long as I say it with a flair!" The story itself is a mess, a mashup of alternate history with some SJW mores (it's no coincidence that all the male characters are evil), but the prose is beautiful at times making this a short but inte ...more
wanderer (Para)
Short but stunning. Despite probably not being long enough to even qualify as a novella, there's a lot packed inside the small space. It's about history, revisionism, stories, taking your truth back, humans exploiting other species without regard for anything but ourselves. And it's beautiful. Highly, highly recommended.
Stories, too, they discovered. But it was a funny thing: They were shattered into pieces, like the Great Mother who had scattered them, and no one tale held to the ear by it/>
Crini
I feel kind of bad about my rating after seeing so many raving about this, saying how tragically sad this is, but I didn't feel anything at all while reading this.

It's a typical "it's me, not you" case because the writing style wasn't for me at all and had me more confused than anything else. I just couldn't get into it and was waiting to actually feel something but I felt completely disconnected to it the events of the story from start to finish.
This was an interesting idea - a rewriting/reimagined history combining the female Newark workers affected by radiation in the early 1900s, and the electrocution of an elephant in Coney Island which took place around the same time.

Sounds good on paper but it didn't work for me. The first part was super confusing - there were about three different narrators and too much was going on. The second part was more readable but most of my interest had been lost by then. There were glimmers o
David
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first time I read something by Brooke Bolander it was like reading a song. Not like a pop song or the song of the summer, not a love song or a ballad. More like a break up song or the blues.

Bolander reminds me of Trent Reznor and Bowie singing "Hurt." Her work's reminiscent of Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly," where the narrator is telling you about this man who laid bare their whole life in a song, pulling no punches, offering no flattery, highlighting mistakes and triumphs with equal a
Cathy
DNF at 21%. I found this to be almost unreadable. It took me three attempts to just get past the opening paragraphs. Overly wordy and constructed.

I made the effort to find out more about the events that Bolander took and merged to make her own novelette. Links below. Utterly depressing and horrible.

That combined with the overblown prose results in this: Not my thing. Sorry.

Background of the real-life Radium Girls: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiu...

And details about the real-life eleph
unknown
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Well that was a punch in the gut.
Beige
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is a lot of creativity packed into this slim novella. As others mention, it does defy categorization; alternative history and fantasy really don't do it justice. The best way I can describe it is the author has taken two terrible wrongs commited in history and given the victims agency. It's quite unconventional for the first half, but I got my bearings by the second half and shed a tear by the end.

If you've read this and enjoyed the elephant mythology, I highly recommend the book The Whit
Maryam
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of the finalists of 2019 World Fantasy Awards in Best Novella category. A shocking, dark alternative history book.

Emily
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I LOVED this.

At times the prose took a bit of effort to get through, but that's because the prose is so lush. It leaned a little heavily on consonance, but ultimately I think that served as a great metaphor. The Many Mothers (the collective memory/storytelling archetype of this story's sentient elephants) tell their stories in song, so adding a level of lyricality to the prose enhanced that aspect of the story.

I enjoyed the structure of this novella quite a bit. It's esse
Tori (InToriLex)

Content Warning: Graphic Violence, Animal Cruelty, Animal Death, Radiation Poisoning

In less than a hundred pages I fell in love with a elephant and cried for real humans I never knew. This book is a tour de force glimpse into the unforgiving way industry has poisoned people, animals and the environment in our recent past. The book follows the life of a female factory worker who is dying from radiation poison due to her work in a factory and Topsy an elephant who is being trained to continue the work that poiso
Nefeli
It seems I'm in the minority here, everyone seems to absolutely love this novella.
I honestly appreciate what Bolander wanted to do, it's just that I didn't like her writing style. That's my only issue here and it's a very subjective one. Bolander's prose isn't bad by any means, but it's so lyrical that it kept distracting me from what was going on in the story.
Michael Hicks
The Only Harmless Great Thing is a tough one for me to digest, and I'm not quite sure what to say about it. The narrative round-robins its way through multiple points of view: we have, at the book's core, an alternate history take on the Radium Girls, factory girls who were killed by radiation poisoning, who are being replaced by elephants; we have a story strand set in the future; and we have the myth of it all, stretching across the span of existence, as told by elephants relaying the stories to ot ...more
Bandit
Feb 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received this as a freebie from Tor publishing, they send out a book a month if you sign out for their newsletter, which I would definitely recommend, some great articles there. This novella, however, I would not recommend at all. Or at least it really, really didn’t work for me. And I say this because according to the author’s bio she’s done quite well for herself as far as gathering awards and accolades go. But this overstylized undersubstanciated dreamy, not, nightmarish, genreless bizarre ...more

• Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 145
  • Lightspeed Magazine, January 2018
  • Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach
  • Apex Magazine Issue 105, February 2018
  • The Black God's Drums
  • The Tea Master and the Detective (The Universe of Xuya)
  • Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Black Panther: Long Live the King
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1)
Brooke Bolander writes weird things of indeterminate genre, most of them leaning rather heavily towards fantasy or general all-around weirdness. She attended the University of Leicester 2004-2007 studying History and Archaeology and is an alum of the 2011 Clarion Writers’ Workshop at UCSD. Her stories have been featured in Lightspeed, Strange Horizons, Nightmare, Uncanny, and various other fine pu ...more
“Why do you not fight when there is still breath and blood within you? Why do you not trumpet and flail?” 3 likes
“No matter what you did, forty or fifty or a hundred years passed and everything became a narrative to be toyed with, masters of media alchemy splitting the truth's nucleus into a ricocheting cascade reaction of diverging alternate realities.” 2 likes