Start by marking “Sand Runner (Sand Runner, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sand Runner (Sand Runner, #1)

Read Book

Sand Runner

(Sand Runner #1)

Welcome to the No Limits Race.

In the near future, 16-year-old Kaiden Reed makes a bold and dangerous decision to enter the most brutal sports competition on the planet. One in which he will undergo a radical upgrade and become a new kind of athlete and a new kind of hero.

Part human. Part machine.

All Kai wants is a shot at a better life and to impress the girl of his dream
Published June 2nd 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Sand Runner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sand Runner

Start your review of Sand Runner (Sand Runner, #1)
Cheer Papworth
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, ya
This is the perfect mix of The Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Unwind- three of my favorite dystopian novels. After reading The Hunger Games, I've been on a quest to find another dystopian read that captures a similar flare and atmosphere while at the same time being unique. That's a tough order to fill, but Vera Brook nails it with Sand Runner.

Sand Runner is equal parts disturbing and fascinating, which is always a good mark on my literary report card. The world building is well done, although I
Kimberly Vanderbloom
Fantastic

I won this book after Goodreads giveaway.

I was astonished and blown away by every element of this book. It engulfed my every waking moment. When I wasn't reading this book I was thinking about it consumed me. The character development was amazing and these characters were easy to love. I can't wait to read the next book in the series. It is a perfect mix of laughter, determination, overcoming obstacles, love, and human nature. It is the perfect dystopian for any young adult readers.

I
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing

***** 5 Cranky Stars *****

Once again, the gods of books blessed me with a gem just when I was thinking I was never going to give out those 5 sparkling stars!

This book reminded me of Hunger Games as well as LEGO Racers 4D (those in the know would understand!). Hunger Games because it’s about new world set in the future where live games of competitors trying to out-win one another no matter what is prime time viewing. LEGO racers because it is about a race and because of the terrain used in the
Devyn
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Goodreads.

Sand Runner immediately made me think of The Maze Runner . I was half afraid that this book would be a cheap ripoff of James Dashner's best seller.

I was wrong. I was so, so wrong.

Sand Runner is not a cheap imitation of The Maze Runner. Sand Runner is a book of it's own.
Sand Runner is in a league of it's own. This book is funny, imaginative, well written, heartfelt, suspenseful, creative, and so much fun to read. It was so easy to submerge myself into th
Kristin
I won this book on a Goodreads giveaway.

Having liked The Hunger Games, I couldn't pass up the chance to win and advance copy of Sand Runner, which I was fortunate enough to have won. In many ways Sand Runner is like a typical YA novel, but despite a few flaws, it stands out and (to me) outshines The Maze Runner.

Unlike many dystopian novels this story doesn't revolve around a vague natural or man-made disaster, in which a big brother-eqsue government/tyrant/king takes over and controls everyone.
J.D. DeHart
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vera Brook delivers a text that I would gladly add to my school library or classroom bookshelf. The book has notes of Maze Runner, The Hunger Games, and Divergent, while working in its own way. It would be a featured recommendation in my own middle grades/high school English class and, like many young adult books, grown ups can enjoy it as well. Recommended for readers looking for the next series that can draw in science fiction, fantasy, and dystopia.
Dave Milbrandt
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The action and adrenaline of this story were consistent, and the backstory was decently developed. The language and violence makes it applicable to an older YA audience, but it was nice to read a title in the genre that bring something fresh as it tips its hat to other works (i.e., The Hunger Games & The Maze Runner). ...more
Aletia
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take a chance!!!

When I see, "For fans of the Hunger Games and the Maze Runner series," I don't believe the book they are comparing to those others will stand up to it. Boy o boy was I wrong. I absolutely love the Maze Runner series! And I really enjoyed the Hunger Games. So when I finally took a chance and read Sand Runner, I was kicking myself for taking so long to get to it!

You have the introduction of the characters. You learn a little about them, and then the race happens. It's a very well w
Makayla
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
So I won a copy of this book via Goodreads and the author! Thank you so much! I gave it a five star rating because it was definitely a great read and I enjoyed it! I’m not crazy into scifi but I like it if its good. This book jumped right in and just kept going. I thought the characters were great, the main ones were pretty developed and were interesting. The plot and all the action was great, I loved the suspense and the ending. My only downside would be that I feel like a lot of the world was ...more
Mark
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoyed The Hunger Games or The Maze Runner you'll likely enjoy this story set in a similarly dystopian world. A story that kept me wanting to turn the pages in a world that I found fascinating. I loved the roles of those supporting the runners (Agent, 3D Printers providing different legs for various race locales), the concept of the sponsors and the "The Running Man" meets Olympics coverage style television program for the races.

I am curious to learn more about the world that Kai and th
William
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
what a great book . I had fun with it from page one to page last fast pace great character development I cared for the characters cannot wait for book 2
Al
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: yalit, sci-fi, fantasy
Vera Brook's portrayal of a world where everything and anything is manufactured via 3D printing is equally as terrifying as it is plausible. I found the depiction of this dystopian reality to be a nearly accurate demonstration of the consciousness of our current reality, particularly when it comes to technological advancements (cybernetics, specifically), as we experience with the experiments undertaken by the atheletes competing in the No Limits Race, 16-year old Kaiden Reed being one of ten co ...more
Dave Higgins
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Weaving the certainties and urgencies of young adult dystopia with the plausible nuances of adulthood, Brook creates science-fiction that speaks both to those seeking fast-paced teenage heroism and those seeking a more complex struggle.

In the near future, ubiquitous 3D printing has all but destroyed traditional industry, leaving many communities surviving on only their printing allowance. The leading sport is now running. However, not just any running: endurance racing through the harshest terra
Thistle
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I used to love dystopian books, but I guess I'm getting burnt out on them. So many of them are the same -- they seem to go down a checklist of all items a dystopian story has to have.

Much like The Hunger Games, Sand Runner is set in the future when the vast majority of people are poor, and they enter a "blood sport" kind of thing to try to earn a better future. But, like Hunger Games and so many other dystopian stories, there's more to the sport than there seems to be -- it's a whole political/
Melissa Graves
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA Sci-Fi Fans, Dystopian Fans
Micayla Burrows
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Superficial , predictable, just skip it.

As a fan of dystopian fiction, I was excited to read this book, but now I wish I hadn't wasted my time.
The characters were likable but I didn't end up caring about any of them.
It all was very superficial like just trying to draw in the lines or check off all the boxes for a good dystopian read and thus lacked depth.
And really everything you prepared for ...like 4 things all happened in the Race? Like are there no surprises?
The only curious thing was ab
Tracey Pedersen
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gee I enjoyed this book. I preordered it for 99 cents because I really like the Maze Runner books and Hunger Games, etc. I was absolutely not disappointed and read this at every opportunity. I thought it was for a young adult audience but I found myself engrossed in the main character Kai and everything he had to go through. It was quite shocking what he agreed to do to go in the race and the author's imagination in coming up with different scenarios for each race was fascinating. Definitely rec ...more
Zara West
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another dystopian young adult novel in which teens compete against each other. This one throws in a bit of rather physically gross enhancement, but saves itself by showing that in the end caring and wisdom win. If you like Hunger Games you will like this novels. But unlike Hunger Games more happens off the course than on it.
Quincy Cummings
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Was not disappointed at all. I enjoyed the book from cover to cover. I thought maze runner was good but this is like maze runner 3.0. The idea of man mix with machine is always amazing. This will keep you entertained and wanting more.
Melissa
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Goodreads win review. I really enjoyed reading this book, in my opinion it was a mix between The Maze Runner and the Hunger Games. I would definitely purchase the next book in the series.
Vera Brook
Sep 21, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My own book, so I'm biased. But I'm three books into this series, and it's a thrill to visit this world and hang out with these characters each time. If you pick it up, I hope you enjoy it!
Hope
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is pretty cool. Recently I have been getting into science fiction and actually found this fairly enjoyable. Definitely recommend.
Aaron  Polish
read a preview and don't think I'll be interested in reading it
Darlene
Katrin
Mar 11, 2018
Chance
Aug 26, 2020
Vera Brook is a neuroscientist turned science fiction & fantasy writer. Her latest novel, GHOST RUNNER, book 3 in the Sand Runner series, came out in April 2020. Vera is also a bookworm, and perpetually torn between reading books and writing them. ...more

Sand Runner (2 books)
  • Cage Runner (Sand Runner, #2)