Start by marking “Hometown Girl” as Want to Read:
Hometown Girl

Hometown Girl

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  365 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews

New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Courtney Walsh returns with a hopeful and emotional new book about seizing second chances, finding yourself, and forging your own path.

Beth Whitaker isn’t supposed to be a small-town girl. She’s always dreamed of leaving Willow Grove, Illinois, for the big city, but she feels trapped, struggling to make up for a mistake tha

Published September 19th 2017 by Waterfall Press

To ask other readers questions about Hometown Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hometown Girl

Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I just love this author's writing style! She has a way of drawing me into the lives of people who are struggling against the darkness and as their stories weave together the light emerges and hope shines brightly on its way to a happy ending- which really seems more like a new beginning. The contrasts and similarities between Beth and Molly as sisters really stood out to me, and it was interesting to see the characteristics they embraced and which ones they left behind as they were influenced by ...more
Katie W
It seems to be common for people, as they are growing up, to wish for what they don't have. Beth dreams of leaving her small town to make it big in the city. And she learns the hard way that plans and dreams don't always work out the way one would hope and expect that they would. She finds herself right back smack dab in the middle of her former life, after a short stint in the city, and just exists. Until her sister, Molly, makes a rash purchase.

Beth and Molly are so different from one another
Jacob Proffitt
Dec 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
I stuck with this way longer than I normally would have. I think it's because I've had a string of disappointing DNF books, lately, and thus had a hard time admitting that yet another die roll had come up snake-eyes.

I think part of the problem is that Walsh is a decent writer. Her characters are clear, the setting evocative, and the plot holds together with an adequate eye to pacing. She's a bit coy about details, and I always hate that, but she only delayed about a quarter of the book before I
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
First, that cover. Is it not adorable? I fell in love with it right away.

And then I started reading … and couldn’t stop. Walsh’s engaging writing voice and beautiful way with words immediately immerses you into the story. Before you know it, you’re mentally stopping off for a pastry at Butler’s where you’ll of course chat with Beth and Callie. You’ll want to wrap your arms through the pages and give Beth a huge hug. You’ll find yourself laughing at Molly’s exuberance – and that rascally sheep! Y
Kara
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh friends, where on earth am I supposed to begin talking about this delightful little story?! There is so much to love about it and I'm afraid all I'm going to be able to do is gush. Which, I know, isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm sure you'd like to hear more than just "It's amazing, go read it!". But for the official record, it is amazing and you should go read it. :)

Can I just start with how much I loved the quietness of the story? There's no huge emotional bursts that lend themselves t
Sherri
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A favorite book!

This is the first book I’ve read by Courtney Walsh. I was drawn to it by the cover and had seen it recommended several times and I can see why. I could relate to Beth’s character. Don’t we all sometimes feel we need to earn our redemption? That we need to work so hard for respect and/or forgiveness? I could feel Drew’s withdrawal from people and wanted to offer him my understanding. This book deserves the 5 stars I rarely give.
Melissa
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review on my blog: https://lifefullybooked.com/2017/10/1... Which also contains a bonus recipe for apple cider doughnut bread!

Overall this is a beautifully told tale about life, love, and embracing your true self. This book has it all--romance, mystery, and a meaningful spiritual and personal journey.
Denise Hershberger
I don't normally do this but with this book I fell in love with the cover! I just love the yellow polka-dotted rain boots so much! And I've loved everything I've read by Courtney Walsh so I didn't even bother to read the back cover or the description!

So I have to admit I was a little surprised to find out this book had some mystery to it! It took me a little while to get sucked into the story. But once I did I couldn't wait to unravel the mystery, to get to know Drew and Beth better. And to find
Madison
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's not to love about a book that celebrates life's challenges, love, the support of a small-town community, and finding your purpose. Hometown Girl takes all these themes and wraps them in a charming novel that combines romance with self-discovery, and even adds a dash of mystery.

Beth never expected to be living at home in the small town of Willow Grove so many years after finishing high school. The plan was to leave town and never look back. But sometimes you can't predict heartbreak or mak
Cathy
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on audible and found the story poignant, heart warming and at times heart wrenching. This book had a strong story line rich with romance, mystery and the strong silent type hero. Drew, hero, had experienced an unspeakable tragedy as a young boy and had never recovered from it. This book is as much about his journey to redemption as it is about the romance between him and the heroine, Beth. This is my first Courtney Walsh book and I absolutely adored it! A sweet, clean, in ...more
Rebecca
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" . . . . if you do what you were made to do, then you'll find the peace you've been looking for. You can't work for it, you know. You just have to rest in it."

Beth Whitaker has worked tirelessly to erase the mistake that may have led her father to an early grave. Her risky miscalculation cost the family company a lawsuit, which mercifully her father did not publicize. When her happy-go-lucky sister Molly, pops onto the scene with the harebrained idea of restoring an old community farm back to
Courtney Clark
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hometown Girl made me crave all things apple--- apple cider donuts, in particular! And coffee with danishes. Oh, and it tells an enchanting story of second chances, romance, and getting comfortable with unexpected dreams with a colorful cast and hints of suspense. And a sheep!!!

I loved seeing the similarities and contrasts between the arcs of Beth and Drew. They were similar in seeking second chances and a belonging or sense of security. Along the way, Beth begins to find the blessing she can be
Susan Snodgrass
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to read a book with great emotional depth, read this book. Courtney Walsh manages to convey the absolute depth of a character's heart here, so much so that sometimes it's painful to read. And her secondary characters are ones I would love to read more about. There is also a very good mystery involved, one that kept me guessing until revealed. Highly recommended.
Karen
Wow, once I started this book, I couldn't read it fast enough! There's a lot of insight packed into this contemporary tale with a lot of heart, wrapped around a mystery. Plus, there's a delicate romance between two people who seem to struggle with where they fit in, both trying to overcome what has them stuck in life. Some fun side characters add a bit of color to the small town scene. I especially liked Birdie and her wisdom given freely to Beth and Drew. Her encouragement to reach out and acce ...more
Cara Putman
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the audiobook of this title. A sweet small town romance with plenty of mystery and challenges to keep the plot moving. Well narrated, too!
Abbi
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I lost count of how many times someone told me I should read a Courtney Walsh book but I just hadn’t gotten around to it. Then I met Courtney at CFRR and after hearing her talk about one of her heroes I immediately bought one of her novels. Sadly review books took precedence and it just mocked me from my shelf. But then the was an opportunity to be an influencer for this book and I jumped at the chance!
And boy was everyone right about this author! I was totally sucked into the story from the ver
Pam Graber
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beth Whitaker has spent years trying to make up for a mistake, an error in judgement that cost her father’s company millions in a lawsuit. For Beth, the three hardest words in the English language are, “I was wrong” and her tireless work for the company her dad founded is an effort to avoid having to say those words to the rest of her family. It’s bad enough that her dad knew before a heart attack took him. Must she further humiliate herself in front of the family that looks up to her?
No one un
CarolynB
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
I'll be honest here. I thought the first part of the book--several chapters--was kind of slow-going. I had a little trouble sticking with it; but this was Courtney Walsh, right? I have loved her other books, so I kept reading, and then I couldn't read it fast enough! Wow, what a story! I didn't figure out whodunit until it was right there! I really loved the two main characters and how they were so flawed and yet allowed themselves to be reworked by their Creator and each other. I really loved t ...more
Just Commonly
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It's hard to break out of the mold everyone else puts you in. Especially when that mold turns out to be different than you thought."

Ever read a book that's supposedly a standalone and love the characters and the setting so much you hope for a series out of it? Well, Hometown Girl by Courtney Walsh is just that. Set in small town Willow Grove, and a memory induced backdrop of a farm/orchard that the townspeople rally to support, it makes for a great "hometown" for anyone.

The sweetness of the vib
Iola
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beth is the sensible one in the Whitaker family, a fact she’s reminded of when younger sister Molly shows up announcing she’s bought the derelict Fairwind Farm. Molly wants to restore the apple orchard and Christmas tree farm into the centre of the community it used to be. Beth is convinced she’ll never succeed … but somehow finds herself a partner in the venture.

The solitary Drew Barlow is returning to Willow Grove and Fairwind Farm for the first time in twenty years. He volunteers in a communi
Nicole
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hometown Girl (2017) is a novel newly released by New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Courtney Walsh. This must-read novel comes in all forms including eBook, and is 382 pages in length. With a full-time job and a very energetic and busy five-year old, this story took me three days to read. I give this novel 5 STARS. This story is a Contemporary Christian Romance.

This is another fabulous and flawless novel by Courtney Walsh. I absolutely love this story, and I relate to the main char
Kav
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I'm saying if you do what you were made to do, then you'll find the peace you've been looking for. You can't work for it, you know. You just have to rest in it." (p 279)

A tumultuous quest for peace is at the heart of Hometown Girl and this quote really settled into my heart. Love that last line -- "You just have to rest in it." And isn't that hard? It shouldn't be, but it is. Especially for this hero and heroine.

Beth is...well, complicated. And, honestly, I didn't connect with her at first. In
Amy
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I wish there was an ability to give half stars on Goodreads, because I've agonized about where to place this review. 3 stars doesn't do it justice, and I can't bring myself to go a full four. I will explain my reasons, and none of it has to do with the writing.

Consistent throughout, 'Hometown Girl' is a story that captures such a wide array of emotions, heartaches, loss, tragedy and more. I find no fault in Courtney's writing. I love her style. The way she can pull the reader fully into the sto
Lucinda
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly delightful story set in a small town.
Beth and Drew have their own problems to overcome. I like how their relationship progresses as they learn to trust each other.
The mystery kept me intrigued.
Highly recommend.
Sydney
Courtney Walsh does not disappoint. And her novel Hometown Girl is no exception. This is a beautiful and inspirational story, filled with family, friends, a giving community, and romance! This story is filled with an unlikely friendship and love, as well as a touch of mystery that will leave readers wondering what will happen next. Walsh does an excellent job of pulling her readers in and keeping their attention throughout the entire story. This is a delightful “hometown” story that readers will ...more
Suzie
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to Willow Grove. A town that doesn’t change much and where everyone knows your business. A town Beth Whitaker never dreamed she’d still call home.
When heartbreak and circumstances strand her in the small Illinois community she grew up in she’s…stuck. In her job at her family’s company and living at home with her mother once again. Then Beth’s sister, who is opposite of her in about every way possible, Beth knows she’s going to have to bail Molly out of her scheme. Again.
What Beth doesn’t
Kathryn Voss
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how Courtney Walsh does it, but she always seems to write her books as if they were meant just from me. Maybe it's her beautifully flawed yet relatable characters or her message that comes shimmering through each and every page or the plot that brims with wit, tension, and perfect depth... Walsh has it all, and I loved this book. No, I needed this book.
At my first glance of Hometown Girl, I was deceived by the title. It seemed too simple and nostalgic. Yet as I delved into the pages
Susan Snodgrass
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love Courtney Walsh's books! I have read many of hers and will always be a fan. This one is very moving and very well written.
Becky Van Daniker
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Courtney Walsh is an author that I don’t even need to know what the book is about because I already know I’m going to enjoy it. So to be honest, I had no idea what the author had in store for us when I first picked up a copy of Hometown Girl. The cover immediately drew me in because I thought those yellow polka dots boots were the cutest and I wanted a pair for myself. Let me just say, Mrs. Walsh does not disappoint.

Here we have yet another small town, Willow Grove, where the characters become l
A.M. Heath
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts: Hometown Girl carried the cozy, small-town feeling that you would expect based on the title. It was complete with a delightful family and all the dynamics that the close-knit family of various personalities would have. Walsh left some open doors with  Beth's siblings that make me curious to know if we'll revisit this town again in the future. There was a variety of townspeople as well, adding to the cast in every good way.
The one hiccup for me was that I found portions of the story
Courtney Walsh is a novelist, artist, theatre director, and playwright. Just Let Go will be her eighth inspirational romance novel. Her debut, A Sweethaven Summer, hit the New York Times and USA Today e-book bestseller lists and was a Carol Award finalist in the debut author category. A creative at heart, Courtney has also written two craft books and several full-length musicals. She lives in Illi ...more

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)