Start by marking “Intangible (Piercing the Veil, #1)” as Want to Read:
Intangible (Piercing the Veil, #1)

Intangible

(Piercing the Veil #1)

Alternate Cover Edition for ASIN B00GVJ4NS4

An ancient evil returns. A prophecy foretells of a champion.

Peter Stewart grew up on a unique version of the Arthurian legends taught him by his father, a harebrained quantum physicist who asserts that anything is possible. But Peter disbelieves anything which cannot be scientifically explained, despite a nagging sense that there
Kindle Edition, New Cover (2017), 482 pages
Published November 20th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Intangible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intangible

Dianne
Adventures to save the world sometimes create unlikely allies. Such is the case in C. A. Gray’s Intangible when one young genius who believes only in hard, scientific facts discovers the fairytales and legends his father would share with him may be more than fantasy. Arthurian legends, Excalibur, fair maidens and dark sorceresses, tales sent down through the generations or history and knowledge culminating in the coming of age of one young contemporary boy, Peter Stewart?

Almost everyone has a sp
Joseph Spuckler
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantansy
Intangible (Piercing the Veil #1) by C. A. Gray is the integration of modern science into fantasy novel. Gray has a degree is a Naturopathic Medical Doctor who, in her spare time, teaches college level chemistry, sings, takes part in theater, and writes.

Peter is that geeky kid who can't seem to escape the wrath of the jocks in high school, and unlike most geeky kids, he seems to get into more than his share of trouble. He is also short on friends and counts his math teacher as one of his two fr
Nucking Futs the Fire Fairy Book-a-holic
I received an Arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I wish I read this sooner! I kept postponing this book because honestly, I was a bit hesitant and doubtful that I'm gonna love this book. Well, suprise! Suprise!
This book is awesome! I never thought that physics and the Arthurian legend mixed together can create one cool YA fantasy. I really love this book. I enjoyed the adventure and the story, which i think was a cool interpretation of King Arthur's legend. The twists were awes
Sophie
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I was a little bit skeptical when I started requesting books from NetGalley, I didn't think any publishers would grant me access to their books. It's not as if I have posted a ton of reviews. And if I did get books... well, I expected them not to be very good ones.

It took me a little while to get into this book, mainly because I was reading it from my computer and I like to be able to hold the book I'm reading as opposed to staring at a screen. I'll tell you right now, staring at m
Lindsey
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book, as I didn't read the synopsis or any reviews beforehand. I went in with an open mind, and I was completely blown away.

It was well-written, and extremely entertaining. I loved the writing style, and though it involved a lot of scientific terms - such as the string theory - it was explained in a way that made it very easy to understand.

After finishing the book, I read several revie
Mary
Mary's NetGalley Catch-up: 1 of 80

In the spirit of being fair, let me disclaimer this review by saying that I read until 35% and then jumped ahead and read the last 15%. I read exactly half of this book and I gotta say, I don't know what's in that other 50% but I have a very strong suspicion that it's exposition as that's what the entire other 50% is.

Peter is a very intelligent 14 year old boy who doesn't know how to socialize. (Trust me, this book is FAR more interesting if you just imagine th
Clémence
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings, arc
Thanks C.A. Gray for sending me her book, I loved it! Full review coming soon!

Update:

First of all, how gorgeous is this cover? I just love it so much.

Now, back to the story. I started this book with two different prejudices, the first being that I hoped I would like it better than The Liberty Box, and the second one being that I hoped I would like it because I love Arthurian legends and retellings. Well, I wasn't disappointed. This books takes the original legend as we more or less know it, and
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)

Did I enjoy this book: I . . . I can’t tell if I’m supposed to take it seriously. I’m pretty sure it’s not supposed to be a parody, but it was hard not to get that vibe, especially when the teen whiz kids (who bear an eerie similarity to HP and his crew) save the universe by—oh god I don’t even want to type it—reversing the polarity of Avalon, which just happens to be a big castley blob of dark matter trapped between dimensions . . . I think Captain Picard might have a few things to say
Adam
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read. The only other young adult fiction I've read recently has been the Harry Potter series, so I am tempted to compare this to that: the plot is more involved, the pacing is better, and the vision of the fantasy world is more articulated. The combination of physics and Arthurian legend are a lot of fun, and give it a sci-fi feel. The end of the book sets the scene for further plot and character development, so I'm looking forward to the sequels.
T.S. Krupa
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is perfect for the Harry Potter lover. An adventure right from the start! I quickly got through this one and couldn't wait to start the next book. I admire all the research and planning that the author must have done. Her ability to wind fact with fiction weaves a wonderful story.
Anastasia シ
Reviewed on NetGalley
Lynxie
I want to be as honest about this as possible, so here goes!

This book, while quite amazing with its story and character development and the complex ways they weave within each other, has a serious flaw. Flaw perhaps is not the correct word, it might be too strong. Yet, here I am, saying it. You can judge that one once you've read my review.

I understand that when something works for someone else (and works for a million different ways - or is it a billion now?) it is natural to want to use their
Emmanuel
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conflicting emotions, they're everywhere with this one!
And with that, let's begin the review, shall we?

Intangible is, quite simply, a unique, modern retelling of the old, well-renowned Arthurian legend. You know, with King Arthur, and Camelot and all that interesting stuff! With that alone, the plot line is very original and undeniably entertaining.

The prologue is possibly the best part about the opening of this book. When the first thing you read is of a car crash, there really isn't much you c
Kristen
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had my college physics professor used this book to explain things, or at least reduced some of the tougher concepts down to the distilled version we get in Intangible, by C.A. Gray, I totally might have done better in class. At least it would have held my attention longer and I wouldn’t have wanted to throw myself off the roof tops of the science building before every physics exam. Using physics to explain magic was a brilliant way to keep the fantastical story some-what grounded in realty. It w ...more
Ravencrantz
1.5/5

Summed up in one sentence: Holy exposition, Batman!

Seriously, this was just a build up for the series. It was long and boring, and I never felt connected to any of the characters. No one was believable, and we had long sections of the King Arthur legends thrown in as backstory. I mean, I knew the story was influenced by the legends, but if I wanted to read them I'd go look for them. I just feel like we didn't need to be told the legends in order to understand the story. It wasn't the exact
Aurélie (Exploring Pages)
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of middle grade and the Arthurian legends
Recommended to Aurélie (Exploring Pages) by: Netgalley
More reviews on my blog, Exploring Pages.
"The Watchers have been protecting you to the best of our ability all your life, and have been watching for your birth for approximately 1500 years." Then he added pleasantly, "Would you like some coca?"
- C.A. Gray, Intangible

Thank you Netgalley and Wunderlust Publishing for providing me with a copy of this book!

DNF at 55 %

Intangible is without a doubt, a book that holds great potential. It reminded me a lot of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series, and the
Fangs for the Fantasy
Peter is a highly intelligent 14 year old with a lot of theories and not the best social life. He is firmly grounded in reality and has little time or patience for stories, legends of mythology

Lilly has seen the supernatural since she was a child, fully aware of the invisible spirits and creatures that lurk everywhere and have their coils in everyone.

Lilly gets confirmation that she is not actually insane while Peter has his world view shattered when they both find themselves under attack by unk
Rachel
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Arthurian legends have never interested me in the slightest. In fact up until now, all I could have to you about King Arthur is that he had something to do with a round table. And so when I received this book I can tell you that if I had anything else on hand to read, reading this book would have been postponed. However, I was very pleasantly shocked by this book!

The novel follows a modern-day 14 year old science nerd called Peter
Bryony
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This review was originally posted on my blog, Paperbacks & Protagonists.

Arthurian legends have always been an interest of mine – not that I can tell you anything about them to be honest. Except for the fact that King Arthur had a round table and that his Queen consort was named Guinevere…but anyway, I digress.

When I received this book, I fell in love with the synopsis but was worried how the story would
Caitlin
Received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If you're a fan of the Harry Potter series and are familiar with the Arthurian legend, then you'll love this book! As a HUGE Potterhead I instantly fell in love with Gray's style of storytelling--this was a seriously irresistible coming-of-age fantasy adventure! Can't stress this enough: Harry Potter + Arthurian Legend = AWESOME Sauce!!!

I was slightly busier than usual, so it took me a bit longer to finish. But I thought the pacing
The Book
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually one for fantasy novels because they tend to get really technical at times, but this novel had just the right amount of information without bogging down the storyline. Each character had a little something that kept you interested in their day to day lives.

Peter is wise beyond his years and extremely smart, and this causes a lot of problems along the way. Lily is an extraordinary girl who can see things that others cannot and this at times makes her feel like she is going crazy.
Deanna at The Book Lover's Attic
I was very excited to start reading this book and I must say that I was not disappointed! The mix of modern science with the tales of King Arthur and Excalibur made for very interesting reading. I didn't always get the scientific references, and lucky for me neither did some of the characters, so the author was able to cleverly explain those references in plain English without being too obvious.

The cast of characters contains a good mix of jock, geek, devoted best friend and new girl. While the
Esther
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Honestly, cannot fault this novel. It was a unique take on many overheard legends, and had an astonishingly large amount of detail. It must have taken a long time to come up with all the small details, maybe even longer than it took coming up with the idea...
The characters were well constructed and entirely believable. The plot was also, and I found myself checking behind me to see whether I had a penumbra or not! It was just the right amount of
Jeff Deville
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intangible is an intriguing reimagining of fantasy legend through the lens of particle physics. They don't beat you over the head with the science (but props to the MacGyver reference in Chapter 1!), but it's an intriguing idea that leads to some fun twists on the fight scenes, which are more interesting because they are team-oriented (think Avengers or Xmen). Intangible was a fun read. I felt like it went deeper into some of the Arthurian legends than I'd gone before. I couldn't always tell whe ...more
Cindy
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real page-turner! I was hooked from the start. Frankly I wasn’t interested in Arthurian legends until I started reading Intangible. Gray obviously spent a lot of time on research and weaved the legends into a well-crafted story that made it all come alive. I liked the characters, especially Lily. We are left wondering ‘who is the prophecy about?’ Peter, Lily, Kane or somebody else? Kane is trying to be somebody important and is afraid he isn’t. Lily, the foster child with a tragic past, always ...more
Michelle
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rar
Intangible was intriguing! Wonderfully written and entertaining. It took me longer than usual to read this book because it wasn’t fast paced nor was it very captivating for me. Some have mentioned it was a page turner and that just wasn’t the case for me. It was slow and steady throughout. And at first I thought that was a bad thing. After finishing it, I can honestly say I sincerely enjoyed it and the pacing. I can’t wait to read the rest of the series.

I received a free digital copy from the au
Courtney Vasiliev
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

There was nothing I disliked about this book, it just wasnt my cup of tea. I think the characters and premise were interesting. I just couldn't get into this book. Maybe the character was a little too young for my liking. I like more of a romance to my novels. It is just a preference. I havent gotten into the fantasy genre yet. Hopefully at some point Fantasy will interest me and when it does I will def. come back to this novel
Jessica
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is if Harry Potter were an Arthurian legend plus Quantum Mechanics; the perfect blend of fantasy and science! I love that the explanations for all the "magic" are scientific, this magical world has real laws and limitations. The main character, Peter, is a skeptic so the reader is made to believe in what is happening along with him. Lily is my favorite, she gives a whole new meaning to manic pixie girl!

I loved this book and I have already recommended it to my friends. I can't wait to
Daisy
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love this book. The plots are wonderfully written.The Arthurian Legend interested me. I've never known about that legend until I read Intangible. My favourite chracter is Lily, the foster child. She had a tragic past and always thought that she's the only one that can see creatures that are invinsible to others until she met Peter and his father. Suitable for those who love paranormal stories.

*I got this ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
My Secret Book Spot
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
5 out of 5 stars

LOVED this book! I'm reading through the series and I love them just as much! I am normally not a fantasy reader, but Gray has won me over with her incredible writing style and her unique ideas.

I highly recommend Gray and this series.

*A complementary copy was given by the publisher for an honest review*

Pippa, My Secret Book Spot
« previous 1 3 next »

• Blood Orange Soda
  • Endless
  • Thunderstone (Legacy in Legend #1)
  • The Waking Dreamer (The Waking Dreamer, #1)
  • External Forces (The Laws of Motion #1)
  • War of Wings
  • Lingering Echoes (Lingering Echoes, #1)
  • Bloodrealms (Bloodmark Saga, #2)
  • Windwalker
  • Stonefly
  • Link (The Shadow of Light, #1)
  • The Rain - Part 1
  • Daemon Seer (The Daemon World, #1)
  • Outshine
  • Prophecy (Calypso, #1)
  • Way Walkers: Tangled Paths (The Tazu Saga, #1)
  • Lethal Inheritance (The Diamond Peak Series, #1)
  • The Prophecy (Secrets of Shadow Hill, #2)
C.A. Gray is the author of three YA Amazon bestselling trilogies: PIERCING THE VEIL (magic and quantum physics meet Arthurian legends), THE LIBERTY BOX (dystopian metaphysics and mind control technology), and UNCANNY VALLEY (dystopian coming-of-age with neuroscience and super intelligent A.I). She starts with some scientific concept that she’s interested in learning more about herself, and then cr ...more

Piercing the Veil (4 books)
  • Invincible (Piercing the Veil, #2)
  • Impossible (Piercing the Veil, #3)
  • Piercing the Veil Trilogy (Piercing the Veil, #1-3)
“Polly Jefferson rolled off her left arm, which had gone numb from the full weight of her body for the previous several hours that she had been asleep. She tapped her fingers on her leg, feeling the pins and needles, and looked at the clock, which blinked 6:30 in lurid red LCD. Instinctively she craned her head towards the other side of the bed, but she knew already what she would find there. The sheets were rumpled but empty and cold, and her husband’s briefcase, which had been leaning against the dresser the night before, was gone. He had already left for London.” 0 likes
“Ideas are the seeds of all things." -- Isdemus” 0 likes