Start by marking “The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within” as Want to Read:
The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within

The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within

Alan Watt wrote the first draft of his novel Diamond Dogs, in eighty-eight days, and later sold the North American rights for $500,000 to Little, Brown in a bidding war. The book became a national bestseller, won a slew of awards, and is soon to be a major motion picture.

Get the first draft down quickly! The 90-Day Novel is a day-by-day guide through the process of gettin
Third, 304 pages
Published (first published October 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The 90-Day Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 90-Day Novel

Jessica
This book is a practical how-to book on writing fiction. Many of the how to books are inspirational and theoretical as well as biographical. This book is about the nuts and bolts of getting the story out and onto the page.

The main idea in it is to write the first draft fast, fast, fast. It is messy and ugly and terribly flawed- but it has potential. And it gets you in the habit of writing past your inner critic. The next step is to work with the material it generated to hone a finished work.

This
Jerry Brown
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mandatory-craft
I needed a workshop to overcome a serious block, so I googled everything that was available, from online miracle cures to neighborhood reading clubs.

The only one that stood out was called "The 90-Day Novel Workshop." Unlike the others, most of which were built around structural techniques, this one said forget about structure, we need to probe our unconscious to find the truth about the story we want to tell. And let the structure reveal itself as part of the process. Two meetings a week, two h
Jenna
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic resource for anyone who wants to write a novel. I spent years laboring under what I thought my story was, and using this method, I wrote a first draft in only 90 days!

There is so much freedom in this method, but the book also teaches much about story structure. Most books on writing I've seen focus on either structure or freewriting - this book combines both, and beautifully.

I am told that he is working on a book called The 90-Day Rewrite also, so we will have additional t
Cathryn
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read over fifty books on the craft of fiction. The 90-Day Novel stands in the top five. Using the exercises in this book changed the way I write fiction. At the risk of melodrama, the book was life-changing in that it opened the door to help me understand why I write the kinds of stories I do, and gave me incredibly deeper access to my Voice. I highly recommend it.
Mary
I read this book AGES ago. Followed some of the advice, but in the end you end up with nonsense. It would be cool if your subconscious could produce a great novel, but it really can't. It takes quite a bit of research and motivations and things that are well thought out.

On the one hand though, I found out my subconscious makes really questionable choices.
John Gilbert
Alan Watt has hit on an excellent (if not unique) method for leading novice - and experienced - writers towards the goal of writing a good first draft novel. Using stream of consciousness techniques he begins 90 days of writing exercises by exploring the fears of the writer, arguing that even they can be used to form the nucleus of any novel.

He then gets the reader/writer to mine and explore theme, character, and images that could be used to create a novel plot. I say, could, because Watt stres
Carolynstotes
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Couldn't Have Done it without Alan Watt and the 90 Day Novel!"

The 90 Day Novel is a savior!! Having never written a full piece before, I signed up for one of Alan Watt's 90 Day Novel Workshops and now am forever grateful!

I truly believe I never would have finished my first novel without the brilliance of the 90 Day Novels guidance. The structure it gives along with a 90 day time commitment creates an environment for creativity to freely flourish within the natural journey towards a transformat
Kathryn
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend wrote the words, 'Al Watt. The 90 Day Novel' on the back of her business card and handed it to me with an emphatic, "Check it out." The next thing I knew I was writing the book I'd put off for over a year.

In my experience, The 90 Day Novel provides an ideal balance between specific guidance and no hard and fast rules, and Al keeps the process moving at a pace that discourages resistance and promotes progress. There is an alchemy to it whereby decisions are made, protagonists come to lif
Michael Shreeve
These days I only read "how to write novels in 5 days or less and make 1 million dollars" for pleasure. It can be an interesting exercise to look into the mind of another writer. Just realize it is another writer. It isn't you.

I desperately wish I could have the same success as Alan (writes a novel in 90 days. A few weeks after that sells it for $500,000. Not a bad way to make a living.). But this guy is writing a book with some serious survivor bias going on.

Good tips, but there is a long lis
Carleena Angwin
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-craft
The rabbit trail of book discoveries has led me down several paths the last two years, and this little gem falls in one rockin' rabbit hole. Let me explain. I saw David Sedaris live at the Tivoli Theater in Chattanooga a couple years ago and before he started talking about his own work, he held up a copy of EILEEN by Ottessa Moshfegh. For five minutes he waved that book in our faces and told us what a twisted, disturbing, funny, once-you-start-you-can't-put-it-down sensational piece of literatur ...more
Judy Croome
Feb 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Novice writers

Written in a friendly approachable style, THE 90-DAY NOVEL takes an unusual approach in that it makes a good effort at explaining the unconscious aspects of writing. Combining tips and secrets, quotes and writing exercise, Watt encourages the reader through the dynamic process of completing a first draft of a novel within a 90-day period.

His explanation of showing versus telling to add life to a story was very good, as were many of the writing secrets he revealed. At last I feel comfortable bei
Steve Sasaki
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 90-Day Novel is a book and a process I believe in, and in my view may be larger than the author himself. Alan Watt’s methods coax, guide, and encourage, so virtually all can finding a story within, worth telling. He was able to take a novice, me, and provide an on-going writing process. I’m thrilled I continue to work with a sense of purpose and urgency.

In the past I had taken many writing courses and seminars. Most emphasized the elements which comprised a great story, but none provided a
Gwyn Haller
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring and discouraged writers
Recommended to Gwyn by: Several authors
Shelves: writing-books
I pull this book out everytime I need to get going writing. It's not that I have writers' block but have writers' doubt. We have to pay our "dues"; have thick skin; and be open to critiques from anyone--and still get started on the next story. I'd write even if I never published. I'm a word smith and at heart the old fashioned story teller. So Mr. Watt is my comfort and acceleration tool until I'm pounding the keys on my own. I've read his book and the second time around actually did all the exe ...more
Elie
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Because of this book, I actually *did* write a memoir in 90 Days. So, if you want to cheat writer's block and have your story in your head--or heart--go for it. For those of us stuck in edits, it looks like there's a sequel int he works...
Leo
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To anyone used to reading this sort of book, Watt has a very unique and, for me, a very useful approach. If this book does not get you writing, well, maybe take up knitting? Archery? Crosswords?
Boingboing
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
A very hands on writing book. Watt takes you from the beginning and holds your hand all the way through to the end. He lists engaging questions to think about for your characters, helps you to see your way through the world and gets you started with every day.

The only complaint I had was that some of the days there towards the beginning seemed rather sparse in what was done for that day and it felt like some of the exercises and prompts could have been combined to move things along a little fast
Catherine Oyster
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful and motivating. Four stars because my hero is a She so it really annoys me that He is the only sex used to refer to a hero. Was this book written before the 1980's?

I'd suggest instructional books written for men and women use he and she interchangeably throughout. Or pick "she" for the next two hundred years. It's rather alienating and dismissive of 50% of humans on earth and my main character on a subconscious level - which is the level these exercises are supposed to work on.

Otherwise
Leah
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Al Watt has an accessible approach to writing with "The 90-Day Novel" and his method is deeply satisfying. Watt puts you in touch with your deepest source of imagination and give you the tools and exercises to tap into that source to write your original story. Watt has reverence for the creative process and that humble approach and concise exercises related to structure allows students to write novels in 90 days!
Prity Malhotra
Sep 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Write a Conflicting Book with Hero & the Antagonist having Backstories,strength,weakness,hidden agendas,lies etc etc. This is the only Advice the Author gives throughout this Book apart from self-publicizing his own Book Diamond Dogs. Now that you read this above Tips,you don't hv to read this 300 pages of GIbberish.
Marcella Burnard
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Not that I'm DOING what the book says - which is writing my novel in 90 days, this book is more than worth the price of admission.
Ally Bishop
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for any writer. It will change the way you look at your muse and blast through writer's block. Can't recommend it highly enough... And I'm not a fan of how-to books.
Madelyn Warren
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely a book for writers on the "organic" side of the spectrum, Watt focuses on listening and exploring what the story wants to express, rather than trying to force anything. It's a book that comes with homework, and is best to buy rather than to check out from you local library. But it's book that gave me valuable insight into the themes and dilemmas of the novel I've been toying with for about a decade, so I enjoyed reading it.
Nick Rogers
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Second time of reading...the idea is good for planning out a novel, but the content and advice is a bit wish-washy and not to the point. The character building and prompts are great, making it an nteresting resource, keeps you motivated (to an extent), has great potential, but falls short due to the content. I'm still eager to read the author's second book about editing however.
Sara Russell
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best book on writing I've ever read. My writing tends to be plot-driven, but this taught me to marry up character and plot for dimension that will make my second book much better than my first.
Janis Ian
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Years ago, when I asked a (pretty successful, very well known) writer what advice she had for me - just beginning to write prose - she said "Sit butt in chair. Write." Great advice, but nerve wrackingly difficult, especially if you've never written long-form fiction before.
I bought this book with some trepidation. All silly concerns - my friends would laugh at me (in fact, several who saw it on my desk rolled their eyes). It would be too "generic", eg it wouldn't address the problems I personall
L.A. Jacob
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good to use to start things going, but if you're going in for the long haul, not so good. You end up with a notebook or a pile of notebooks with messy garbage and you have to sift through it to find a story. Got sick of it by day 20, gave up five days later.
Christian Faith
I had been struggling with writing my novel, not because I'm not a good writer (that can be learned), but because my story was so personal it was physically hard to get it on paper. At the beginning of this book it lists reasons why you might be struggling. One of the reasons is that you feel like you might "die" if you write your book. I suddenly felt understood. My sister on the other hand didn't get it. How could you "die" from writing a book she asked. This book may not be for everyone. It i ...more
Wendy
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this book to write a rough draft of my first novel. I found it extremely helpful. The book gives you assignments each day. The first four weeks are used to explore the characters in your book and produce an outline of the novel. The outline that the author recommends is in three acts. The rest of the book asks you to work on the actual novel.

The structure of the book was very helpful, giving me ideas about the kinds of things my characters might bring to the story, reminding me about the
Tatra
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
April 25-28, 2015
I've decided to actually go day by day for my latest novel, but I knew it would drive me crazy to have this one book on my list, so I skimmed it again. It really is full of good things.

August 18-22, 2013
I read this book straight through instead of doing it day by day because I found that things go better if I absorb the information before trying to apply it.

I really liked what Alan Watt had to say about creating fiction and I think I can tie it into how I already write my novel
LKM
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It had interesting exercises, but I didn't really like any of them and didn't feel half of them helped me actually move forward with the story. I didn't find them helpful at all (well, maybe one or two), and it just seems like it'll lead you to a very formulaic novel (even if at its very core every novel is formulaic, as it follows a beginning, middle and end, after all).
Also the basic tips it gives behind all the exercises and rambling are pretty obvious tips.

This might work for some people, b
"Couldn't Have Done it without Alan Watt and the 90 Day Novel!" 2 20 Feb 19, 2012 09:54AM
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Description & Setting
  • 500 Ways to Be a Better Writer
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Your First Novel: An Author Agent Team Share the Keys to Achieving Your Dream
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • Bullies, Bastards and Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Now Write!: Fiction Writing Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • On Writing Horror: A Handbook by the Horror Writers Association
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
Alan Watt is a novelist, screenwriter and playwright. His bestselling novel Diamond Dogs (Little, Brown), won numerous awards including France’s 2004 Prix Printemps (best foreign novel). He recently adapted the book for French film company, Quad, and it is soon to be a feature film. His book, The 90-Day Novel, is one of the top-selling books on writing. He's also the author of The 90-Day Rewrite a ...more
“Our willingness to write truthfully brings the story to life.” 15 likes
“Our job as writers is to be as curious as a child, to see things for the first time, and to never assume. We must always be willing to surrender our idea of the story to allow the larger story to emerge. We are seeking to understand the nature of things, the underlying forces at work.” 10 likes