Start by marking “Super Sons, Volume 1: When I Grow Up” as Want to Read:
Super Sons, Volume 1: When I Grow Up

Super Sons, Volume 1: When I Grow Up

(Super Sons (Collected Editions) #1)

A part of DC Universe Rebirth!

Superboy (aka Jonathan Kent) and Robin (aka Damian Wayne) make their super hero duo debut in this all-new series SUPER SONS, part of DC Rebirth.

This debut series looks at the lives of Robin and Superboy and their destiny to follow in their fathers’ footsteps, while we meet a new villain whose ascension parallels the boys’ own understanding of
Published October 17th 2017 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Super Sons, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Super Sons, Volume 1

Anne
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it

Ok, it's not the best plot-wise, but the art is adorable and I just love the concept of Damien and Jon doing this frenemyish team-up.

description

Look at these two! The cuteness level is just off the charts!

description

But. I'm hoping volume 2 will delve a tad deeper into their budding friendship because I think this volume pushed the border of Ok Enough! with the wash, rinse, repeat cycle of insults that these kids flung at each other. It wasn't quite too much, but...eh.
Almost.
It was fun to see that even the
James DeSantis
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Damn this is so goddamn fun! I love these kids. I want my future kids to be these kids.

So most people know Damien, the son of batman. Think a young, ignorant, little piece of shit, with the sickest burns around town. Then got Jon who is Clark's son who follows his footsteps. This volume is mostly one big story, a boys night out, where Damien drags Jon into a big fight against a kid who can split himself up and create copies of other people. Also contains a one shot of Jon coming to terms with a
Chad
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is just FUN. All of the charm and adventure of Superman (It's the same writer.) with the added bonus of two exceptional children learning to accept one another (while bickering nonstop). This one's a winner. Jorge Jimenez's art was made for this title. His frenetic style works wonderfully with children looking for adventure. Bring on volume 2!

Received an advance copy from DC and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
Re-reading as a volume and this series is as wonderful as I remember! Ahhhh, everything about it is just spot on! I adore the contrast between Damian & Bruce and Jon & Clark. I love Damian's headstrong, self-assured nature and Jon's stubborn, protective nature. It's just so wonderful and everything I needed to cheer me up and get me out of my reading slump.

5 stars! Definitely a recommend if you haven't picked up this series yet.

Edit: Upon rereading, I noticed even more of a contrast betw
Chris
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
Super Sons is one of those series that's quickly become popular with comic fans, generating considerable hype for the first trade before it even hit the shelves. Fortunately then, When I Grow Up... is a delight from the very first issue and the talented creative team don't miss a beat.

Peter Tomasi spent years writing Damian Wayne/Robin (and I didn't realise how much i'd missed that until now) and currently writes Superman, so he knows exactly what he's doing with these characters. Damian is stil
Scott
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
"I'm the world's greatest hero and she needs my help now!" - Damian 'Robin' Wayne

"Do you even listen to yourself?" - Jonathan 'Superbly' Kent

"Touch my cycle and you will never be considered for the Titans!" - Damian 'Robin' Wayne

"Whatever, 'dork' knight - I'm calling my dad!" - Jonathan 'Superboy' Kent

While it has an undistinguished plot (though the villain - a wicked teen dubbed 'Kid Amazo' - was a reasonable adversary) the fun of Super Sons, Volume 1 is the nearly non-stop quarreling between t
Artemy
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc, comics
Consistently entertaining interactions between Damian and Jon mostly make up for an uninspired plot involving a generic villain who does some crazy illogical things. Overall, it's a solid comic from Tomasi that's centered around two characters that he writes best, and I am definitely coming back for the second volume.
Diz
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I loved this! Batman and Superman's relationship has always been an interesting one, but since they are adults, the clash of their ideologies has been mostly restrained. However, in Super Sons we have child versions of these heroes in Jonathan Kent and Damian Wayne, and as anyone who has spent time around children knows, they don't hold anything back. The clash between these two as they learn how to work together as a team is really funny, and it sheds light on the relationship between Batman an ...more
Mizuki
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic, pretty-good
I was (and still am) in a freaking bad mood so I need something light-heartened to lighten the gloom a bit, this comic did the job, the tone is delightful, the characters design and the artwork is supper lovely, I mean...it is entirely, devastatingly adorable!!!!! I really love it...and I love it even more when despite the cuteness, something creepy has also been going on in the storyline, plus with Lex Luthor and the fucking dinosaur in the Batcave around, what can go wrong?
Maksym Karpovets
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the best Rebirth series so far. Tomasi knows how to write a story about family relationships, but this time we meet a duet from two opposing families: Superboy of a typical American family and Robin with from not an ideal, but still family. They are opposites in everything, but that's why they manage to cope with obstacles, which often create for themselves). Tomasi easily and skillfully develops the plot without resorting to unnecessary clarifications. The dialogues in this series are ju ...more
Wing Kee
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is what DC needs. More please!

World: Jimenez's art is sublime and perfect for this title. It's kinetic, full of big bold emotions and over the top just like the book needs to be. It's gorgeous. The world building is also fantastic, living in the little nook that these two have in the DCU. Everything tonally in this series is brighter and lighter, even Batman and that's a good thing.

Story: Great little tale that is great cause of the amazing dialog and chemistry between Jon and Damian. They
Christy
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I laughed a lot while reading this book. Loved seeing Jon and Damian develop in light of their fathers.
Chris Lemmerman
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
[Read as single issues]
Have I talked about how Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason did superb work on Batman & Robin, and are doing superb work on Superman? Well, now Tomasi has taken the two best parts of those comics and combined them into one - meet the Super Sons, Damian Wayne and Jon Kent, better known as Superboy and Robin.

When the two are kind of thrown together by their parents, they don't exactly get along, but this opening arc of the series shows them just why their dads are such a go
Kay
Very cute & fun (which I haven't said for a superhero comic in a long time -and boy is this refreshing!).

I really like Jon & I think he plays well against Damian's stuffy know-it-all-ness.
description

The plot of this vol. wasn't all that advanced, but it was kinda confusing in the beginning. And because of that I really liked that this whole volume was one cohesive story.

Adorable bits:
*Damian is going on and on that he's so tough & "better than Batman in every way", yet both he and Jon are to
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Damian & Jonathan sneak out after bedtime and hijinx ensue.

But you know what? It's pretty darn entertaining. Sure, Damian is a little shit head and Jonathan is pretty much a pussy...but they have that same chemistry that their two fathers have.

I read this in single issues last night before bed and I haveta say that I am sure glad that I did. It's like when you have been drinking coffee all morning and then you have a glass of orange juice. It's a party in your mouth!

That's what these comics
Clarissa
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is insanely adorable!

Okay so, plot-wise, it’s not the best, but I can’t resist the frenemies that are Damian and Jon. The dialogue between them is brilliant and it’s fun to see just a tiny bit of banter between the superdads too.

The contrast between their upbringing and personalities is very clear and it’s interesting to see them crash and interact. I’m looking forward to their budding friendship in volume 2!
Danielle
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more on my blog, uncovered-books.

I received a free copy of Super Sons Volume 1: When I Grow Up from DC Comics in exchange for my honest opinion.

Such a fun story that you can easily get lost in and just enjoy. Super Sons follows Superman’s and Batman’s sons (no, not together sorry Superbat fans), Jonathan Kent and Damien Wayne. Together both get into all sorts of trouble as only super-powered children can.

The storyline is very easy to follow, with it purely being what Damien
Georgie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.2
Ba ba ba ba you’re watching treehouse!

Supersons: when I grow up... - during the new 52 the Amazon virus was released (justice league vol 6: injustice league) and a lot of families were infected and got powers but after they all lost them except for 3 percent which brings us to Reggie Meyers who used his powers but his body couldn’t handle it so he went mad i guess And superboy and robin have to save the day.

My thoughts (the good and bad) - I love these two together, I love the insults they th
Shannon Appelcline
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-dc, comics
The strong heart of this comic is the relationship between Jon and Damien. Tomasi writes them both well, and the interactions between these strong but different characters is even more delightful.

The story itself? Bleh. There's a Super Amazo Kid and he's crazy and they fight. Some stuff that could have been interesting about the Super Amazo Family really doesn't get that much attention.

So, call it 3.5 stars, but every time I considered the lower rating, I saw another delightful scene between our
Tokio Myers
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
Damian being a little jerk to Jon always has me laughing
Joseph
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so much fun to read. Been a fan of Damian since Tomasi's Batman and Robin days, and the Lois & Clark Rebirth prequel has made me a huge fan of Jon, and continued into Rebirth. It's a good pairing and Tomasi really knows how to write young kids going through the super hero learning curve. I LOL for realsies several times. I wish Damian was still about 10 or 11, as it seems weird a 13 year old is hanging with a 10 year old, but whatever.

Jorge Jimenez does a great job on the art witho
Peter Derk
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This one's cute and all, but I think it's meant to be an "all-ages" book. Which means it's appropriate for kids and adults can read it too because, you know, we do whatever we want. We're grown-ups. Eat Starburst Jellybeans to the point I get a stomachache? Even though I KNEW, before I hit the wall, that I was headed for ache-town? Yeah, damn straight.

I think I might be Damian Wayne-ed out. He's not my favorite character, and he's in a lotta books these days.

Also, Superman having a son really b
Vanessa
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I expected this to be really fun, making me less mad about the DC reboot (yes, I'm still salty about it years later, specifically for what they did to the Batfamily dynamics, don't @ me)... but while there were a few amusing scenes (mostly thanks to Alfred), this was mostly a book full of Damian being an annoying, arrogant brat and Jon putting up with him.

The art was pretty much the only thing I completely enjoyed.

There was a bit of a hint of something great there (maybe once I feel like the boy
Christopher (Donut)
Pretty much everyone likes this, and for once pretty much everyone is right.

Damian Wayne and Jonathan Kent (Robin and Superboy) fight like brothers, and the tension between them is cute and funny.

Some have called it "American manga," and I can see that (although I don't know much about manga).

I don't insist that all comics should be this lighthearted, but maybe more of them could be?
Ma'Belle
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is such a hecking fun series! Damien Wayne (13) is the cynical, bratty bad boy and Jon Kent (10) is the dreamy, wide-eyed goodie-goodie still starting to develop his Super powers. Tomasi does an excellent job of setting it up and keeping the tone and pacing consistent and strong.
Tina
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cute!
Aidanmark30
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good. The writing was really funny. Peter J. Tomasi wrote this really well. The story is Super-Boy and Robin try to take down Amazo-Kid. I loved the incorporation of Lex Luthor. My flaws were that the book was only 5 issues long. I felt that wasn’t enough issues to grow and develop Amazo-Kid. The villain could have been better picked and used. Overall great book! I rate it 4/5.
Amber
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this! Totally biased because I am a huge fan of Damian, but the added addition of super boy was so great. Not to mention those Dustin Nguyen variant covers at the end, I am literally in heaven with this book!
Jill Jemmett
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny graphic novel.

I like that it’s aimed at a young adult audience, though it could be entertaining for adults too. Many DC comics are for adults, and some are for kids, but this one fits nicely in the middle.

Robin and Superboy make an unlikely team. They don’t always succeed in defeating the villain. Actually, they often end up trapped. But that makes for comical situations.

Their families make small appearances in the story, but it mostly focuses on the sons. I like this, since I fi
Eri
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-arcs, comics
After hearing a friend rave about how amazing Super Sons was, I decided to request it, although I wasn’t sure what to expect from the two kid protagonists. To my surprise, I ended up adoring this new series, and it’s fast become my favorite DC rebirth series.

In a few words, Super Sons is cute, fun, and most of all, easy to fall into even if you’re not someone who reads a lot of comics. As a relative novice to the world of comics myself, I found myself enamored with Jon Kent, a kid with a heart o
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Nightwing, Vol. 1: Better Than Batman
  • Dragon Puncher
  • Doctor Who: The Dalek Project
  • Superman: Action Comics, Volume 2: Welcome to the Planet
  • Fully Alive: A Retreat with Pema Chodron on Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change
  • Lantern City Vol. 1
  • Comics for a Strange World: A Book of Poorly Drawn Lines
  • The Cats of Roxville Station
  • Killer Fashion: Poisonous Petticoats, Strangulating Scarves, and Other Deadly Garments Throughout History
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws, Volume 1: Dark Trinity
  • The Pig of Happiness
  • The Dandelion's Tale
Peter J. Tomasi is an American comic book writer, best known for his work for DC Comics.

Super Sons (Collected Editions) (3 books)
  • Super Sons, Volume 2: Planet Of The Capes