Start by marking “Perception & Illusion: A Regency Novel” as Want to Read:
Perception & Illusion: A Regency Novel

Perception & Illusion: A Regency Novel

Cast out by her father for refusing the suitor of his choice, Lallie Grey accepts Hugo Tamrisk’s proposal, confident that he loves her as she loves him. But Hugo’s past throws long shadows as does his recent liaison with Sabina Albright. All too soon, Lallie must question Hugo’s reasons for marriage and wonder what he really wants of his bride.
Perception & Illusion cha
Published March 28th 2017 by KDP

To ask other readers questions about Perception & Illusion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perception & Illusion

OLT
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Kullmann is a relatively new Regency romance author and I randomly chose this particular book of hers to try out. Her writing is good and not full of annoying anachronisms and the story began well, even though the plot itself is nothing out of the ordinary. I settled in for a cozy romance read, becoming acquainted with all the characters, liking the appropriate ones and resenting the ones I was supposed to dislike.

But...but...by about the 40% mark my particular bugbear in romances began creeping
Simone Z. Endrich
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Austen and Heyer Reborn

It's been a while since I've read a Regency novel that drew me in as this one did. What a find, is what I kept saying to myself while reading this gem of a novel. There are so many modern Regency novels on the market these days, but so few that meet the standards set by the legendary Jane Austen or, more recently, Georgette Heyer, whose accurate depiction of Regency society is widely known.

Perception & Illusion definitely does! It has all the key ingredients a lover of
ClaireMS
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC of this book by TBC on Facebook and by kind permission of the author in exchange for a fair and honest review. All thoughts are my own.

All good Regency novels must have a heroine, a hero and a couple of protagonists to really work well. In Perception and Illusion, we are immediately introduced to the heroine of the piece Lallie Grey…………in 1814 a young woman living with her father’s second family, to all intents and purposes playing the role of governess to her young half sibli
Priya
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
It's been a while since I read a regency romance and this one was simply delightful!
Along with the lovely estates, titles, curtsies, the proprieties followed during the 19th century, the two central characters Lallie and Hugo are refreshingly different!
Lallie is the heiress to a fortune but she is kept in the dark about this by her father who tries to get his hands on her money by forcing her into an unsavoury marriage. While she is as proper and graceful as she is expected to be, Lallie is no p
Chris
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gripping story, read it through in one night. Fairly early into the book there's a happy ending which leaves you wondering what the rest of the book will be about. But this is only when the main story starts! The protagonists manage to misunderstand each others so thoroughly that you think there is no hope for them. But then they face their own painful history...
Gail Atkins
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A period novel set in the early 1800's where society had different rules. Lallie is governess to her step-siblings, a role her father gave her to earn her keep. Unknown to Lallie, at the age of 25 she would inherit a considerable amount of money.
In an age where men had all the rights over women, her dad tried to force her into a love less marriage.
Lallie and her trusted maid Nancy escape and they stumble across an acquaintance Hugo.
Can a life with Hugo be easy? A man with a title? A man with a
Babus Ahmed
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An alluring story of a young girl, Lallie, who lost her mother at birth and is kept closeted by her father and stepmother. However, when her father hatches a plan to wed her to a man she dislikes to keep control of her fortune, Lallie plans her escape and finds herself ultimately in a more agreeable match, but can she navigate the world of the gentry and the complexities of her spouse?

I absolutely loved this historical romance as the characters really came to life and unlike many stories the pl
Vanessa Wild
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very enjoyable Regency romance, with echoes of Georgette Heyer, about how misunderstandings can cause so much trouble and open up a whole can of worms.

It’s extremely well written and plotted with great attention to historical detail. I loved the chapter headings giving an inkling to their content! I also found the author’s notes at the back of the book very interesting. There are some wonderfully vivid and realistic characters, most of them likeable and, of course, the odd one or two u
Pam Lecky
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely echoes of Georgette Heyer: Having read Murmur of Masks I knew this would be an equally good read. It doesn’t disappoint. The ‘consequences’ of a hurried marriage make for an interesting story which is steeped in historical detail. If you love Regency, you will really enjoy this book.
Pauline Ross
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book made me uncomfortable. One of the tropes I dislike intensely in any kind of book, although it’s particularly prevalent in Regencies, is the misunderstanding between hero and heroine. If the entire plot could be resolved if they just sat down and discussed it over a cup of tea, then it’s usually an epic fail for me. This book has two qualities that make it compelling despite this, however. One is that it’s beautifully written, every word pulling its weight. The other is that the mix-ups ...more
Nicky Moxey
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Perception and Illusions” is a lovely, gentle love story, using the classic girl-meets-boy, girl-loses-boy, girl-gets-boy-back theme – but it’s very cleverly done. I pretty much devoured this book, in 3 sittings, I think; and given that neither romantic novels, nor this period, are my usual fare, that gives you an impression of the quality of the writing! The central character, Lallie, is sympathetically drawn, and her character arc is believable and engaging. The secondary characters are well- ...more
Maja
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kullman propels us into Lallie's world within the first few pages of Perception and Illusion.

We learn that Lallie, a woman fast reaching her expiry date at the ripe old age of 24 (!) is both a source of income and bargaining chip to her opportunistic father. When forced into marrying an older man of questionable morals, Lallie runs away to be to be 'rescued' and protected by the dashing Hugo Tamirisk. What ensues is a not-so-funny comedy of errors in which Lallie and Hugo negotiate the complex s
Melinda Mulcahy
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are few exceptional authors who appear naturally gifted in all areas and Catherine Kullmann is such a one. Not only will her words float off the pages that practically constitute music, but her masterly articulation and expression will prompt quick searches in a lexicon, which for any well read bibliophile is a real treat.

The start of the story will toss you quickly into a false rose petal stratum of romance that slowly crumbles away as each character arc develops and their history seeps t
Sally Stackhouse
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect. I've read quite a few books set in the Regency period and this book is streets ahead of all of them.

The book explores the good and bad in people, the constraints of society in that era, arranged marriages, gossip-mongers, all of which is written delightfully with good characters, good plotting, well scripted dialogue and interspersed with the minutiae of daily living without being in the least bit boring.

The language is of the time and reading on my Kindle it was so easy to look up th
Jayne Davis
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency-romance
An excellent story, with realistic characters and situations. I liked both lead characters, and was rooting for them to find their way to happiness.
As in many romances, parts of the plot revolved about misunderstandings that could be resolved if people just talked to each other honestly, but in this story the reasons why they did not were completely plausible.
Recommended - I will be reading more of Catherine Kullman's stories
Tina Miles
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific

I really enjoyed this second novel in the Gracechurch series and am eagerly waiting for the next book. Contrary to what other reviewers have said, I can easily imagine the miscommunication and lack of communication which dogged the various characters and leads to several significant events. I also enjoyed the sex scenes which were well written.
Mary Gallo
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weird name, but good story

I thought this might be a regency story about magicians, but I was very wrong. I liked it very much and will be looking to read the other stories in the series.
ChillwithabookAWARD With
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perception & Illusion by Catherine Kullmann has received a Chill with a Book Readers' Award.
www.chillwithabook.com

"A lovely Regency romance, well written and easy to read with a touch of intrigue."

"I really enjoyed this book."

Pauline Barclay
Founder of Chill with a Book Awards
Laura Thomas
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great job telling story of a society marriage

Recommend this author,she can write a story . Love Lallie ,Hugh had to grow on me,realistic view about their marriage.
Joan
Sep 09, 2018
D HOOD
Sep 25, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
I was born and educated in Dublin. Following a three-year courtship conducted mostly by letter, I moved to Germany where I lived for twenty-five years before returning to Ireland. I have worked in the Irish and New Zealand public services and in the private sector.

I have a keen sense of history and of connection with the past which so often determines the present. I am fascinated by people. I love