Start by marking “Soldier Son” as Want to Read:
Soldier Son

Soldier Son

(The Teralin Sword #1)

Endric wants only to serve, but he's destined to lead. As the second son of the general of the Denraen, Endric wants only to fight, not the commission his father demands of him. When a strange attack in the south leads to the loss of someone close to him, only Endric seems concerned about what happened. All signs point to an attack on the city, and betrayal by someone deep ...more
Published March 7th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Soldier Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soldier Son

Start your review of Soldier Son
Jackie
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic read. Endric only wants to fight not have a commission because his father demands. Something is going on, what he has to find out. Another great by this author.
Ryan Mueller
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I picked this up because I've really enjoyed Holmberg's Cloud Warrior saga. I've read most of the way through that series and wanted to try one of his other series.

Overall, I'd say this was a good read. It's about on the same level as the first Cloud Warrior Saga book, which I enjoyed, but not as much as the later books in the series.

Everything I've read so far of Holmberg's focuses on a single point-of-view character. This allows for a shorter novel and a more focused read, but as a reader of e
Karlita | Tale Out Loud
Soldier Son is a fast paced, plot driven fantasy fiction with a good world building potential and interesting villainous characters to watch.
D.M. Cain
A run-of-the-mill fantasy story with some interesting ideas
The Teralin Sword was an interesting story with some great plot points. I was particularly gripped by the concept of the mineral Teralin itself. The author developed a really cool concept with the nature of this metal and its ability to be forged into fascinating weapons. I also enjoyed the dark monks and their evil ways - they lended a brutal gravitas to the book and gave the protagonist a believable and sympathetic motive for his part
P. Bellis
Books 1 and 2:

Book one was decent enough to lure me on to book 2.
Book 1 had a few unnecessary long passages, and Endric going through looong detailed reflections while fighting for his life. Now, I've never been in a sword fight, but I suspect you gotta stay focused in the moment if you wanna come out alive in the other end... Also, he's kinda whiny
Book 2 seems to been written in a hurry, missing words (and sentences?). A lot of pages beeing filled up with the following: Endric going on looong
Darren
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Series Review - Abandoned during book two.

I liked the start there was good detail and plot depth and i thought i saw where the plot was headed but alas it didn't seem to go that way in the second book and the story progress seems to grind to a halt. Plausibility was tenuous enough in the first book but goes completely out the window in the second, so much so that i didn't want to continue to read where the lead character is continually portrayed as a rash idiot. There is a gap of a year between
Qwill / The Qwillery
Soldiers Son is the first novel in the The Teralin Sword fantasy series by D.K. Holmberg. This novel is set in the same world as Holmberg's Lost Prophecy series, but in an earlier time frame.

The main character, Endric, is the black sheep his family. His father is the general of the Denraen forces. His older brother, who he looks up to, is also a leader in the Denraen. Endric, however, apparently doesn't understand what it means to be Denraen. He's pushed to grow into his role as soldier and perh
Lillian Cummings
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good solid read. Loved it. Endric just wants to lead and he thinks that he is up for the challenge but his father doesn't believe so and has to teach his son a lesson unfortunately Endric doesn't heed his father's advice and he lands up almost losing everything he knows.
How can he make his father proud now that the world is falling apart around them? Who can he trust and why is this happening now? Will Endric be brave enough to fight the unknown enemy and keep his people safe?
A tale of a famil
MGB
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author has picked a damaged youth to be the protagonist. He is damaged by his own desire to resist his father and to not look critically at himself. His bull-headedness leads him astray, but into a part of the world he never knew existed.

There is good and evil waged over a strange metal - teralyn. The pursuit and defense of his people leads him to learn about himself. He is a troubled man yet holds himself to the highest ideals as an end goal. Lots of fighting and strange adventures accompa
Debra Shaw
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous

There are some fantasy novels that go overboard on descriptives in relation to battle scenes, devoting pages to the gore and bloodshed. This author has done an amazing job of adding battles, but focusing more on the storyline by adding thoughts that race through the mind of Endric, the hero of this novel. Holmberg is a masterful storyteller, and allows the readers imagination to fill in the blanks rather than bombarding them with too many words. An excellent read!
Tomas Grizzly
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Shortly said, this was awesome. Good plot, excellent pacing and full of surprises especially at the end. Character development in Endric and his inner conflicts deserve special mention here and same with the pretty much perfect pacing of revealing things.

Needless to say, this goes straight to my list of 'best of randomly found books'
Brenda Smith
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grid story!

I just about put this book dow and I’m so glad I didn’t. Setting the stage, what was happening in the very beginning was important so maybe it was just me. The story gets very interesting after the plains, which doesn’t take long, so I’m glad I read on now I’m hooked and am on to the next book!
Babette
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, will read the series

I usually listen to books but I missed reading. This caught my eye & I could not be happier that it did. I enjoyed every last page of this book. I will be looking for the rest of the series. I would like 1 or 2 on Audible so I can hear someone pronounce the place names!
Tony DiMatteo
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing and enjoyable

I came upon this book quite by accident. I decided to give it a try and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I'm definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.
Kerry Dillenburg
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting and fast paced page turner

D.K. Holmberg has added a new twist to the coming of age transition of boy to man while deepening the understanding between son and father. All while interacting in a world of good versus evil.
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, entertaining read. It was a bit slow to start, but he main reason for a three is a very predictable, illogical section in the middle (that I found more than a little frustrating). It picked up again afterwards, so that was nice :)
Liz
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazing-fiction
Don't quit this book until you're past half-way through. The first half of this book is a 3/5, but the latter half is brilliant!! 5/5! Honestly one of the best fantasy fictions I've ever read! Can't wait to read the sequel. ...more
Ken Grant
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice foundation for a unique world. Presented a lot of material and history that needed to be kept straight. Enjoyed the interplay between family, friends, and others. Looking forward to seeing how the author develops this material moving forwards.
Cheryl
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soldier Son took me a while to get into but I’m glad I stuck with it. Once I got about halfway into it I could hardly put it down. I thought I had the ending figured out but I was so wrong. Good book overall.
william garratt
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most enjoyable

I started this book because of the author and then found i enjoyed it because of the story and finished the book realising that the book was excellent and the author had put together an amazing story
Haley Rylander
A decent story with intriguing plot points and characters, but fairly generic fantasy without much world building and a pretty linear plot. I expect it would be a very good book for some people, but didn't keep me terribly interested personally. ...more
Craig Cuillard
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One Of My Favorite

I really liked the story about Endric. I liked him and his training with Jakob in the previous series. Quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.
Thomas W. Shubert
Great fun!!

Really enjoyed the book, I was hooked after reading the sample an had to download the entire book. I look forward to reading the next book.
Dave Webber
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly Enjoyable

Plenty of twists and turns. Great story telling with character development as the characters experience the many aspects of the world around them.
Samantha Jones
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loving this series, 2nd series of this author that I have read
Henry Howard
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without giving anything away will only say it keeps you guessing!!!

Gave 5 stars due to story moving along at a nice pace with much going on. I would recommend. ENJOY!!!
Jason W Frost
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

It was a great read action packed with twists and turns that surprise me looking forward to the next book
Ties
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun. The ending came a bit out of the blue but I can ignore that. Looking forward to the second.
Gala Mertens
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

very good book but nevertheless it is a bit tedious and repetitive but keep up the books I like
Tom Davidson
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this most enjoyable. Showed the difficulty of younger son competing with his brother. Good overall character development

• A Power Awakened (The Volatar Saga #2)
  • The King's Sorcerer (Jon Oklar #1)
  • The Sworn Knight (The Kingshield #4)
  • The Naming (The 13th Paladin #2)
  • Rise of Legends (The Kin of Kings, #2)
  • A Sellsword's Mercy (The Seven Virtues #6)
  • Ahren (The 13th Paladin, #1)
  • A Sellsword's Compassion (The Seven Virtues #1)
  • Web of Eyes (Buried Goddess Saga, #1)
  • The Legend of the Kestrel (The Sylvan Chronicles, #1)
  • A Sellsword's Will (The Seven Virtues #5)
  • Fate of Wizardoms Boxed Set (Fate of Wizardoms, #1-3)
  • Objects of Power (Fate of Wizardoms, #4)
  • A Crumble of Walls (The Kin of Kings Book 4)
  • Rise of the Ranger (The Echoes Saga, #1)
  • A Bridge of Realms (The Stalwart Link, #2)
  • The Raptor of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles, #3)
  • Dawn of a Legend (The Silvan #3)

The Teralin Sword (6 books)
  • Soldier Sword (The Teralin Sword #2)
  • Soldier Sworn (The Teralin Sword, #3)
  • Soldier Saved (The Teralin Sword, #4)
  • Soldier Scarred (The Teralin Sword, #5)
  • Soldier Song (The Teralin Sword #6)

News & Interviews