Start by marking “The Long and Short of It (The Chronicles of St Mary's Series anthology)” as Want to Read:
The Long and Short of It (The Chronicles of St Mary's Series anthology)

The Long and Short of It

(The Chronicles of St Mary's 0.5/2.5/3.5/4.5/6.5/7.5/7.6/8.5)

Follow the disaster magnets of St Mary's as they hurtle around history! The ninth book in The Chronicles of St Mary's Series collects the bestselling short stories plus a brand new story, A Perfect Storm. All have new introductions by Jodi Taylor.

When a Child is Born – A jump back to 1066 to witness the coronation of William the Conqueror goes slightly astray.

Roman Holiday – Max and her team b

Published June 8th 2017 by Accent Press

Start your review of The Long and Short of It (The Chronicles of St Mary's Series anthology)
Sara
When I started reading this anthology of short stories, I knew I’d read most of them. But actually, I’ve read them all. My favourite story is My Name Is Markham. I loved having a perspective other than Max’s, and getting to know more from the largely enigmatic whirlwind that’s Markham. He’s by far my favourite character in the series. It was also a more sedate story compared to the normal adventures of St Mary’s. I won’t go into greater detail, because I’ve already reviewed ‘This Is Markham’, an ...more
Kaitlin
This is Jodi Taylor's newest release and it's a paperback/bind up edition of all the St Mary's Chronicles short stories so far + one new one called 'The Perfect Storm'. I'd already read all of these except for the newest one and I've reviewed each as an individual stories, but there were two stand out wins for me from the previous ones: 'My Name Is Markham' and 'The Very First Damned Thing'. Both of these stories were a bit longer than some of the other shorts, and felt really exciting and well ...more
Maria Dimitrova
Actual rating: 4.25

I had read all the storied before when Audible suggested I buy this. And I did and it was worth it even if only for the short introductions to each story by Ms. Taylor.

The Very First Damned Thing: 5 stars

The Great St Mary's Day Out: 4 stars

My Name is Markham: 5 stars

A Perfect Storm: 4 stars
Kricket
i probably should have waited until i'd read everything in the series before tackling the short story collection, because i got some spoilers for later books, but OH WELL. super fun. high-quality sinus infection entertainment.
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

The Long and Short of It collects all short stories from St. Mary's up until A Perfect Storm. Having read all of the previous stories (they are reviewed under their titles), I was curious for A Perfect Storm, which has since been released on it's own as well.

I've always liked these short stories and would recommend them to fans of the series that haven't started on them yet but sticked to the normal books. While not necessary to follow the main story, it really adds som
Kevin Payne
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mostly for the final story

My 5 stars are primarily for the last short, which takes place after the end of the 8th novel, "And the Rest Is History". It neatly capstones that superb novel--but stands all by itself, believe me--and is the file-sharing fun we've come to expect from author Taylor and her creations. And the wonderful tiny bit at the end...I believe some of those fetid vapours have got in my eyes. I am not crying and smiling with delight!

All the shirts are good reading
Verity W
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this are reviewed under their individual entries rather than here. I'd already read a couple of them, and picked this up from the library to fill in some gaps. I'm still a little conflicted in the wisdom of publishing all the short stories together when the books are best read in order and people may do (as I did) pick this up and read it before they're fully up to date with the series.
Shawn Deal
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
Finally, the short stories of the crew at Saint Mary's collected together at last. This is fantastic news for those of us who like to read actual books, because these have not been available in print before. Loved all these short stories. And am glad to have this is my collection next to the books of the series.
Wing Kee
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is gonna be a fast review.

The stories found in this collection I've read in ebook form and it's good to have them all in one go. I really like the new author sections that share where and how these stories were writing, they do give wonderful insight into it.

The one additional story 'A Perfect Storm' was just more great St. Mary's.

Read this collection if you love the series.

Onward to the next book!
Angela
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the St. Mary's short stories in one book! What's not to like.
Sydney Young
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore Jodi Taylor and all things Saint Mary's. True brain candy. Great escape.
MB (What she read)
Unplanned serendipity to be reading these Christmas themed time travel shorts right now in Christmas Eve.

And Merry Christmas to me--I giggled my way through this book!
Ryan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a mislead here. This is a compendium of all the prior vignettes, with an introduction as to Jodi's writing process for each, plus the bonus short story A Perfect Storm. I can't review that one separately yet but found it fantastic, as usual with anything Jodi writes.
Audrey
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Another enjoyable outing with the St. Mary’s time traveling crew. These novellas are fillers between books. The author notes were fun to read as well. I hope there is another collection to come.
Berni Phillips
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this, not realizing it was a collection of short stories which I had already read. Ah well, it was fun to read them again.

The stories are fun because they lack the grimness and sucker punches that Taylor gives her characters in the novel. Here it's all Peterson peeing on Max and Markham looking like an idiot but no one dying or having something horrible happen.

Another thing which tends to swoop right past me when I read the novels is that while the past which the
Robby White
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Madness of St Mary's

Buyer beware if you think this is a whole new book.

This is a collection of short stories and all but one has been released before.

As much as I love the novels I think that the short story format is wonderful for this series. It allows the inherent silliness that you have come to expect to shine through with out having to worry about dealing with the consequences of events for a whole novel.

If the novels are the meal then these little tidbits are
Lucinda
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short stories that fill in some gaps between the books. I wish that I didn't read 'The Perfect Storm' until I had read ' And The Rest is History' as there were a few spoilers.
Alison
An anthology of seven novellas, six old and one new.

When a Child is Born
Max and her team have one small task - witness the coronation of William the Conqueror. What could go wrong? Let me list the ways!

A short story that makes you laugh and think (well a little bit)

Roman Holiday
t seemed so innocent, it always does with St Marys! Then there is Caesar, Cleopatra, assassination attempts and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Christmas Present
As always Ms Taylor tells a Christ/>Christmas/>Roman/>When
Nicole
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
The Long and the Short of it sees the short stories, which are often released at Christmas, bought together in one volume along with a previously unpublished short story "The Perfect Storm" Each story is preceded by a short explanation by Jodi Taylor on how the story came to be written and for that alone, even if you have bought the stories as stand alone in the past it is certainly worth purchasing.

The stories are:- When a Child is Born, Roman Holiday, Christmas Present, Ships and S
Alex
This is part of the 'Chronicles of St Mary's' series. If you don't know it, start with book #1, Just One Damned Thing After Another, which is amazing.

This is a collection of bite-sized short stories which you can read along the way.

To begin with, I'd say it's best not to read them in chronological order: stick with the main novels for a few books. They're brilliant, and you'll get to know and care about the characters.

If Once you love the series, and you're beginning to burn/>
Robin
At first when I found out that the only way for me to get ahold of A Perfect Storm was part of a collection that included a bunch of stories I'd already purchased separately and had only the one story as new material I was pretty unhappy.

However, one of my chief complaints about the original recordings of The Very First Damned Thing and My Name is Markham was the narrators. I have always had trouble adjusting to different narrators within the same series and I found both of those stories to be
Linda
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to learn what “She who is above reproach” Calpurnia really thought of her husband Caesar’s mistress Cleopatra? Why King Alfred the Great burned the cakes? Why a woman watching Hamlet performed at the Globe Theatre in 1601 days was wearing Griffendor socks? Read these stories. This is a collection of time travel stories told from the points of view of a group of scholarly historians (who often screw up their jobs), and their security guards who attempt to put things back in order. The St Mar ...more
Tim Hicks
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to give a book four stars and realize I'm bringing its average down.

I have read all the novels in this series except the last, and I think the shorts are better.
They couldn't exist without the novels, but still. As others have noted, these seem more relaxed, no one gets maimed, and there's not very much of Clive Bloody Ronan (I always use his full name), perhaps my least favourite character in all the books I've read.

Markham continues to advance in visibility and laughs, and it's clea
Katherine Humphrey
I can't remember the last time a book made me laugh this hard. I've been reading this on my lunch break at work and I'm pretty sure my bosses were ready to call the madhouse for me. I couldn't freaking breeaathheeee..

One of my favourite things was the narrator's voice and sarcasm throughout the book. Sometimes I felt like it was almost too much but then another joke comes along and it's just perfect.
I figured out after a while that this book is a collection based off of stories from
MaryAnne Percy-Needham
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure: I generally avoid short stories like the Plague. I prefer to wallow in an extended yarn. But I had to read these to fill in a couple of gaps in the St Mary's Timeline. And I'm very glad that I did. Taylor managed to fit in all the components that have made the St Mary's books so much fun. There was both history and History (and I'm a History teacher by trade), character development (how did she manage that in so few words?) and descriptions and comments that made me laugh until I cri ...more
Ann
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read all of these short stories before, in the chronological order as they are interspersed between the novels. I still think that's the best way to read them, because a lot happens between each of these stories (although only some of that is important to know when reading them). That said, reading the stories as a collection was lots of fun, and there are so many laugh-out-loud moments as well as very poignant scenes that give you further insight into beloved characters. This is, of cours ...more
Lh2o
Combined short stories that I already have individually:

When a Child is Born: A jump back to 1066 to witness the coronation of William the Conqueror goes slightly astray.

Roman Holiday: Max and her team become spectacularly involved with Julius Caesar, Cleopatra and a basket of confused asps.

Christmas Present: An attempt to rescue lost historians involving an enraged pig and Boudicca herself.

The Very First Damned Thing: Discover the truth about the
Jacey
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collects together all the short stories (thus far) from the Chronicles of St Mary’s, which if you haven’t read them, go back and start from the beginning. I’ll wait. Done it? Good. Now you know about the time travelling disaster-magnets who comprise St Mary’s historians and their support teams, especially Max our (usually) main viewpoint character. (I particularly love reading about Markham in security.) I’d read (and reviewed) all but one of these before because I buy anything from Jodi Ta ...more
Darcysmom
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
The Long and the Short of It has everything that makes St. Mary's one of my favorite places compacted into bite-size pieces. I love that so many of the stories focus on Max, Peterson, and Markham - when those three are together mayhem follows in their wake. And it couldn't be funnier! Even the more poignant entries in the anthology still had moments that made me laugh.
While I highly recommend the anthology - I would suggest that it be read after gaining familiarity with the good folks of St. Ma
Richard Eyres
A collection of short stories about St Mary's. A lot of these have been released previously (and for free), but there were a couple that i had not read. Jodi Taylor has a great sense of humour and this is evident in her writing. The stories are about 1.5 hours in length, and could be spoilers if you have not read the previous books. Check out the timeline on Goodreads.
Jodi Taylor is still writing these short stories, which is great news for fans. Hopefully there will be a time when there w
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: St. Mary's Shortstories 20 19 Aug 17, 2018 08:20AM

• A Bachelor Establishment
  • The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)
  • The Lost Plot (The Invisible Library, #4)
  • The Mortal Word (The Invisible Library, #5)
  • Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • Fifteen Postcards
  • The Masked City (The Invisible Library, #2)
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #2)
  • The Road to Alexander (The Time for Alexander #1)
  • Time Tourist Outfitters, Ltd.
  • The Burning Page (The Invisible Library, #3)
  • Reynolds – Florence, Az. 2014 (Peter Grant, #4.6)
  • Tobias Winter - Meckenheim 2012 (Rivers of London #1.6)
  • Whose Story Is This? Old Conflicts, New Chapters
  • A Deadly Betrothal (Ursula Blanchard #15)
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -

J

The Chronicles of St Mary's (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #1)
  • A Symphony of Echoes (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #2)
  • A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #3)
  • A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #4)
  • No Time Like the Past (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #5)
  • What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6)
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #7)
  • And the Rest is History (The Chronicles of St Mary’s, #8)
  • An Argumentation of Historians (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #9)
  • Hope for the Best (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10)