Start by marking “Retrograde” as Want to Read:
Retrograde

Retrograde

On a warm summer day in Berlin, Helena is hit by a truck while crossing the street. She awakens to the loving face of her husband Joachim. In addition to a few broken bones, she realizes she can’t remember anything about the accident, or even the last few years leading up to it. Retrograde amnesia the doctors call it, and assure her that with time, she should regain her me ...more
Published September 26th 2017 by Meerkat Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Retrograde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retrograde

Monica
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: give-aways
Thanks to Meerkat Press for the advanced copy of Retrograde! 3.25 / 5 🌟

Although well written with a concise plot, I was surprised and a bit disappointed by this book. I kept expecting the plot to take a much darker twist with the unusual relationship between our main characters. The questions centered around how far would you deceive someone if given the chance to start a relationship over. At some level they both wanted a second chance. But they also would not sacrifice their pride to simply co
Alicia Huxtable
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I have ever felt so angry with 2 main characters in a book. Their complacency.......especially Helena. How could she not do something or say something. And Joachim, he let it go on too long too.
I enjoyed the writing style and the story and I kept waiting for the big bang of realisation.......but in a way, the ending fot so well
Lace
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was not at all what I was expecting. And I am very pleasantly surprised at that. This book was so much more. Its one of those books that you pick up and think well this sounds interesting, I think I will like it. Then after you read it, you realize you have fallen in love with the book and all the characters...well that's how this book was for me. This is a must read!
Gaby Mahlberg
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Joachim and Helena split up three years ago. Then Helena has a road accident. She wakes up in hospital to find that Joachim has been by her side, and when she is well enough he takes her home. Except something feels wrong. Helena has suffered retrograde amnesia that made her forget the past couple of years of her life. She does not remember the break-up, nor does she remember the reason they split, and - glimpsing a second chance for their relationship - Joachim is not going to tell her.

Kat Haus
Farnoosh Brock
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Thanks to Meerkat Press for the advanced copy of Retrograde, and I'm so glad I said yes. This book went beyond and above my expectations. From the first chapter, I was pulled into a world of two characters, Joachim and Helena, living a relatively ordinary life, and I could not put it down until I finished it this morning. It was all in the captivating, tantalizing story-telling style of Kat Hausler, a new author that I'm delighted to have discovered.

The plot is, again, relatively ordinary. Ther
Mary Leach
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Is honesty the quintessential ingredient to a successful marriage? What happens when a spouse deeply fears the loss of the marriage if he reveals the truth about the past? Both questions are explored in this first novel, Retrograde, by Kat Hausler.

The novel’s setting is Berlin. The events of the marriage are related by the husband, Joachim, and his wife, Helena. Helena walked out of the marriage three years earlier. For those three years, Joachim had no idea where she was. His emails and phone
Melissa Ratcliff
I was recently given an advance copy of Retrograde to review for Paperback Paris.

I thoroughly enjoyed Kat Hausler's debut novel, which touches on love and relationships when put in difficult situations. Specifically, Retrograde explores the question: If given the chance, would you attempt to start a relationship over?

After suffering from head trauma following a car accident, Helena wakes up to realize that she cannot remember the past few years of her life. The situation brings her into contact
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Retrograde was a stunning debut novel about a relationship's painful collapse. It's a fascinating psychological study of the two lead characters, Helena and Joachim, at various moments in, during, and after their marriage dissolved. As summarized above, the bulk of the story takes place after Helena awakens after an accident with no memory of separating from her husband, an intriguing concept. The imagery was lyrical, and the story developed at a great pace.

I found the characters uneven on occa
Sergej
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the chance to read a review copy of this book and loved it!

A lot of parts reminded me of my own past experiences in relationships. I never had amnesia of course but the book describes the daily struggles in a relationship going down the drain really well - and the reasons why you still stay in that relationship.

The book develops a lot of tension (and sadness in some parts). If you like books that focus on well-written characters you'll love this one like I did.
Doria
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read an advanced copy for my library's blog and was impressed with the complexity
of this book. I thought it would be more of a two bit thriller but, while it did involve intrigue, it also was very observant about relationships. Well written and psychologically deft.
I hope it becomes a film; would love to see these characters on screen.
Paperback Paris
Linda Hepworth
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
When carelessly crossing a busy road in Berlin, Helena is hit by a truck and wakes up in hospital three days later, suffering from a broken arm and leg. However, she quickly realises that her injuries are not limited to physical ones because not only does she not remember the accident but, frighteningly, she has no memories of the previous few years. She is told by the doctor that she has retrograde amnesia, the result of a blow to her head at the time of the accident. When she wakes up she is t ...more
Amy
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is something about the way Kat Hausler tells a story that mesmerizes you. You find yourself completely under her spell, compelled to turn the pages so that you can find out what happens next and, more importantly, why it happens.

Hausler begins by introducing you to Joachim, whom you might instantly dislike (I sure did). He seems slithery and untrustworthy. This becomes more fact than suspicion when he lies to his estranged wife Helena, not disclosing to her that they are, in fact, separat
Mrvica
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is a book about a complex marital relationship, love, hatred, bitter words and feelings, things people remember and those they don't.
One day Helena is hit by a truck. When she wakes up in a hospital and sees her husband, something is strange but she can't figure out what. She simply can't remember some things. But how important are those things? What secrets is her husband keeping from her?
At first the book seemed to
Lauren
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Psychological thriller or introspective character study?

When Helena is hit by a truck, estranged husband Joachim takes advantage of her amnesia to try their relationship again. He thinks they’ve been given a second chance but Helena can tell that something is wrong.

This was an interesting book with evocative prose. Unfortunately, the feeling this evokes is bleakness. Helena is at first dazed by her accident then unsure how to work out this tangle that Joachim has put her in. Joachim has convince
Kat
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I got this for free from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers and it had a good premise, but I think it'll only be really good if you read it before you read Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson & What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. Sadly, I read both of those books already (great books, which I highly recommend) and this book about the same topic wasn't nearly as interesting.

I didn't get as invested in the characters and didn't care as much about what happened to them. I find the topic very int
Old Lady
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ms Hausler has a unique plot! It was interesting to see what can happen when a couple doesn't communicate.
Brandi
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a galley of this title in exchange for an honest review.

I was absolutely unprepared to be sucked into the abysmal drama of these characters' lives - and yet I couldn't help myself, as it happened before I knew it. The raw complexity of the emotion is what held me tightest. I put this book off for quite some time and I'm sorry that I did. I've yet to read anything else by Ms Hausler but I'd consider it an honor.
CorrieGM
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A haunting story about a woman who loses her memory and the reaction of the husband she left long ago. And her reaction to his.
Sad, very sad. I felt it in my bones, it was just suffocating.
I like the ending.
Jill Elizabeth
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one - although felt a serious deja vu when reading it. There have been a spate of fighting couple-accident-amnesia-ethics of it all books lately it seems - or at least, I've stumbled upon them lately. This one was enjoyable, although not perhaps as much as it would have been if I hadn't just read at least two others with the same basic plot points. The characters weren't exactly likeable but they were very relatable - which, I suspect, was at least part of the point. The fumbling, ...more
Felicia
Apr 08, 2018
Chelsey Thomas
Apr 21, 2018
Kat Hausler
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Diana Kalin
Jenna
Heather Kelso
Pam Mooney
Jun 30, 2017
Originally from Virginia, Kat Hausler is a graduate of New York University and holds an M.F.A. in Fiction from Fairleigh Dickinson University, where she was the recipient of a Baumeister Fellowship. Her work has been published by 34th Parallel, Inkspill Magazine, All Things That Matter Press, Rozlyn Press, Porridge Magazine, LitReactor and BlazeVOX, among others. Her debut novel Retrograde was pub ...more