Start by marking “Like Jagged Teeth” as Want to Read:
Like Jagged Teeth

Like Jagged Teeth

The guys following her home are bad enough, but when Jacalyn's Poppa comes to the rescue, things only get worse. After all, he's been dead for six years. There's no time to be relieved, because when she ends up back at Poppa's new apartment, nothing feels right. The food here doesn't taste how food should taste. The doors don't work how doors are supposed to work. And some ...more
Published April 4th 2017 by Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Like Jagged Teeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like Jagged Teeth

Janie C.
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
On her way home from a party late at night, Jacalyn is followed by two unknown men.  The person who comes to her aid is very familiar, but may pose more of a threat than Jacalyn can imagine.  What follows is nightmarish in scope and hallucinatory in imagery.  The unknown landscape that Jacalyn enters is harrowing and not for the squeamish.  I had a very hard time putting this book down, and I was in its grips right up until the end.  However, the finale is where this macabre journey lost its all ...more
Danger
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The setup is like a fairytale-gone-wrong. After Jacalyn is reunited her dead (presumably) grandfather and brought back to his house, she soon discovers she cannot leave, and things are much more sinister than they seem. It gets dark from there, as this allegorical tale about regret and forgiveness delves into visceral and nightmarish territories. The imagery is often gory and always palpable, and the central metaphor weaves each scene together like a warm quilt, all of this adding up to a creepy ...more
Michael Adams
I sat down fairly late last night to read a few pages of this and stayed up straight through until I finished it, I simply loved this book that much. It is a journey through the dark, disquieting, and disturbing, and ultimately into deliverance. 20-something Jacalyn finds her drunken evening take a turn for the strange when her grandfather picks her up… her grandfather who has been dead for years. What follows is an increasingly eerie and frightening journey through a regretful past and fever-dr ...more
The Grim Reader
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are a couple of different themes simmering in the background of this novella by Betty Rocksteady. Themes of regret and grief are prevalent throughout the story and in Jacalyn, we have a character that struggles to be socially compatible. This struggle results in her doing things which perhaps go against her character. She just wants to fit in, and to do this she steals money from her Poppa and wine from his cellar.

The entire novella plays out like a nightmare, from very early on when Jacal
Emily
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
"She would always remember that darkness within darkness, her own private pocket of hell."

This small novella has a lot of goodness going on inside of it. Like Jagged Teeth is about a girl who is being harassed while walking home, and her grandpa pulls up to save the day. The only problem is that he's been dead for years. She gets to his apartment, and things are...wrong.

There is more depth to this story than I expected. Part of the horror is dealing with grief, loss, and forgiveness. This book
Eddie Generous
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Unnerving Magazine Review
Like Jagged Teeth is different from anything I’ve read. It takes place in a crumbling house that seems to offer a surreal rendition of one young woman’s memory as she processes guilt.
It’s a lightning ride of constant happenings, opening on a fantastically developed slow-motion chase of sorts that pushes all the right suspense buttons. Then the grandfather comes in and things get weird.
Grim whimsy seems the best way to describe the put off sensations of the hero. There’s
The Irish Buffalo
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading Betty Rocksteady's "Like Jagged Teeth" is like sliding down a banister with a pillow filled with razor blades waiting at the bottom to catch you--a terrifying exhilarating ride! I can't wait to read more by her!
David Bridges
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A living dead story about a young lady coping with a family tragedy but her grief has come back to haunt her literally. I just finished reading a weird fiction anthology called Looming Low which contained a story by Betty Rocksteady and it was one of my favorites. I am a huge fan of PMMP press so when I saw Ms. Rocksteady had a novella out with them it only made sense that I read it.

As I said before this is a ghost/living dead story. Could you imagine if one day you were walking down the street
Mike Thorn
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
"If you want to explore the literary equivalent of a nightmare that slips unassumingly into the brain, that sticks and leaves its nasty residue in the morning, then Betty Rocksteady’s Like Jagged Teeth is the book for you."

Read my full review in Vague Visages.
Tiffany Morris
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, horror
Equal parts uncomfortable and unsettling, Like Jagged Teeth is a surreal, nightmarish journey into what is almost certainly the worst week Jacalyn has ever had. A must-read for fans of all things queasy, uneasy, and straight-up horrifying.
Duane
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent novella featuring a believable character facing unbelievable odds. The title refers to the indelible image of a set of stairs. Read in one sitting and wanted more. Highest recommendations.
J. Peter W.
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You sink with the book deeper and deeper, down a dark, strange, grimy spiral of sickness and confusion. I loved getting lost in this bizarre story. ...more
Kelby Losack
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Betty Rocksteady's LIKE JAGGED TEETH cuts straight to the quick, establishing tension on page one and steadily escalating from there. It's a short, fast read that feels like a fever dream. I highly recommend.
Nicole
Completely unsettling and totally disturbing. Love it!
Kevin Lintner
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Like Jagged Teeth" is unlike anything I have ever ready before. One one hand it is a stark and terrifying tale of a young woman trapped in an ever changing apartment with a grotesque and violent version of her beloved grandfather. on the other hand, it is a tale of redemption, deliverance from guilt, and the peace that comes from forgiving yourself,

Poppa's apartment is more than just a setting for the book's characters, it is, in its own way, a character in the story. It is a living, breathing
Thomas Joyce
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Weird and creepy from the very start and throughout, this is the stuff of nightmares. I was instantly gripped by the mood Rocksteady created, unnerving the reader when the protagonist's Poppa arrived to rescue her. Then the creepiness factor goes off the scale as, through the use of the first person narrative, we are gradually drawn into the murky depths of the narrator's worst nightmares. The author's ability to create such dark and disturbing scenes are a joy to behold. But this isn't simply a ...more
Jenna Malcolm
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Betty takes you to a place that you've never been before but it's all too familiar. Her writing paints such a clear picture. You're immersed. There is no way to read this slowly. It's near impossible to put down. Only reason I did was because my toddler woke up. Vivid imagery and layers of story all packed into 102 pages. If you're looking for something different, fresh, sick, and twisted, look no further. I recommend this to anyone who's had a thrill of a nightmare.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Starts promisingly with a disorienting arrival of a long dead grandfather in a young woman's life, then gets into nightmare mode for what is basically a dark redemption tale, a coming of age story with ample gross out and freak out material.
Matt
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-books
A beautifully haunted story. If you've ever felt guilty about something you did to your grandparents, then hope this thing doesn't find you. Like Jagged Teeth will not let you go, no matter how much you try. I just finished it and I want to read something else to help cleanse the fear, but at the same time I don't think I can yet because I feel like I need to come down from the story. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone that wants a great horror story that will stick with you.
Brandon Nagel
Zakk Madness
Sep 24, 2017
Joe Quenell
Jun 02, 2017

Betty Rocksteady writes cosmic sex horror, cat mythos, and surreal, claustrophobic nightmares.

Her debut novella Arachnophile was part of Eraserhead Press New Bizarro Author Series 2015. Like Jagged Teeth and The Writhing Skies were released by Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing. The Writhing Skies was voted Novella of the Year by This Is Horror Awards 2018.

Her collection In Dreams We Rot from T