Start by marking “The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)

The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,058 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Special Agent Paul Chavasse is about to start a much-deserved holiday when he is abruptly pulled back to active duty. He knows that if he's being called into action, a job has gone bad --- and it's about to get a lot worse.

As Hitler's private secretary --- and an influential member of the Third Reich --- Martin Bormann was one of those rare Nazis who managed to simply disa
Published July 1st 2006 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Bormann Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bormann Testament

Brenda
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, own-read
When British Intelligence officer Paul Chavasse, just back on British soil from an extremely tough job, found himself in front of his boss at 4am, he didn’t expect to be sent straight back into danger. But suffering extreme fatigue, he found himself on a train in pursuit of a former member of Hitler’s Reich, Caspar Schultz. Everyone had believed him to be dead, but rumours had surfaced about his being alive and well, and having written a manuscript, which many didn’t want to see the light of day ...more
dennis barron
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Norman testament

A very fast read with a rather sad ending. An excellent read . Bormann, Hitler's right hand man,apparently had written his memoirs implicating a lot of powerful people. If you liked the Odessa file you will enjoy this!
Imran  Ahmed
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
After the last few Jack Higgins novels disappointed me, I was apprehensive about starting The Bormann Testament. I kept the faith as the subject, i.e. the Nazi movement in 1960s post-war Germany, interested me.

I am glad. The Bormann Testament was a fast paced, entertaining novel. The plot moved quickly. There were just enough twists to keep me happy but not enough to confuse me. The story fell into place with a good cast of characters. I could even overlook the author's occasional political pon
Rebecca
This is another of the old Higgins originally published in 1979 under the name "The Bormann Testament".

It wasn't bad. This is the first of the books to feature Paul Chavasse.

Again Higgins reused the German names of Steiner and Karl with them being the bad guys this time around!

The story was okay and it had the romance element that some of the older Higgins seem to also.

It was a quick and easy enough read so 3 stars as nothing to shout about!
Diana H.
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Fast-paced thriller. Events happen very quickly without a lot of "filler" information. I really enjoyed this book.
Neil Spark
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The surprises start from the first page and they keep coming. This is the first book I've read by The Eagle has Landed author Jack Higgins. The plot and the writing is tight.

Secret agent Paul Chavasse's task is to get back the manuscript of a high-ranking Nazi's memoir. The memoir's content reputedly reveals prominent people on the Allied side sympathetic to the Nazis. More than that, it names the Englishman who will head the Nazi the government in Britain.

Chavasse isn't the only one after the
Mike Glaser
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Early Jack Higgins. Interesting to see how he has developed over the years. Somewhat similiar to "The Odessa File" which I believe came after the original publication of this book.
John
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Action Packed. Well written. Classic Jack Higgis
Toni Osborne
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Special Agent Paul Chavasse is back on active duty, he knows that if he is called into action, a job has gone bad and it is about to get worse.

Martin Bormann wrote a manuscript exposing former Nazis who are now in hiding, himself being one of them, he disappeared at the end of World War11.The terrible secrets Bormann carries are about to be exposed to the world and some people in power have much to lose if they are revealed. Chavasse must retrieve Bormann's Testament....

I am a big fan of Higgins
Jim
Jul 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another good read by Jack Higgins. Only took a couple of days to read it, probably because it was so good.

This time, Nazi big shot Martin Bormann is supposedly alive and offering his memoirs for publication. It purports to name names and there are a lot of ex Nazis, now prospering in the new Germany, who would be fingered as war criminals if the memoirs were published.

Since it is being offered to a British publisher, secret agent Paul Chavasse, posing as a publisher, is assigned to get it. Unfo
Layla
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: history students
Written in 1962, this book is best read as a period piece rather then a thriller. It gives insight into German and Israeli politics early in the Cold War. It is also revealing of the level of sexism in that era and how far we as women have come since then.
In the 50 years since it's writing, we have been spoiled by le Carre, Forsythe, and James Bond, so the spy thriller aspect is not that exciting. But this work predates those.

This is a light read, it took me a couple of hours and so I would reco
Samantha
Jun 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Samantha by: Erik
Shelves: fiction, history
Interesting premise, crappy book. It's one of my least favorite kinds -- the author becomes a Gary Stu in his own work. You could tell that Higgins wished he was as handsome/daring/popular with the ladies/brave as Paul Chavasse. Also, I dislike when the main character meets a woman and falls immediately in love with her ("there was something different that he never felt before, etc") but continues to fraternize with other women.

The only good thing I can say about this book is that it was a quick
Bob
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An early Higgins (1962) has special agent Chavasse assigned to meet a contact in Germany to arrange for the acquisition of a manuscript written by a Nazi which is supposed to contain names of prominent Germans and others who supported the Nazi party. Hooking up with a team of Israeli agents he comes up with Nazi underground who want to suppress the information in the manuscript. Higgins is always good.
Ewald
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Thankfully Jack Higgins became a much better writer than this! It is too long to be a short story, too short to be a decent novel. The basic idea of the plot is good, but the story is jumping like a cat on a hot tin roof. But then again, it was published more than 50 years ago for the first time, and I do have a huge amount of respect for his later work. Just didn't like this one book of the many he has written. So not too bad!
Kathy
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Picked it up in a used book store in California. Had to go book Martin Bormann. British agent, Paul Chavasse, (a recurring Higgins character) is the good guy, who along with several other "good guys" including a Jewish agent, are up against underground Nazis in postwar Germany. It's a real page turned. Finished it in one day.
Carmen
Jul 11, 2009 rated it liked it
not one of his best stories. not enough character development, too much description of the fighting. A diary has been written naming names of people who were loyal to Hitler, but have remained anoymous. The British intelligence wants to get it, as it names who would have taken over in England if England had fallen. So who ultimately finds it?
Craig
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
A good popcorn book, but it lacks the depth of character that Higgins puts into books like The Eagle has Landed, which is his best book. The climax of this novel is rather fuzzy, the girl's murder almost off-hand, and the resolution of the Bormann plot unsatisfying. It's a quick read but not very rewarding.
Kel
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this as "The Borman Affair." This book grabbed my attention on page 1 and never let go. A British agent is sent to find the papers of a Nazi who was supposed to be dead. There are a number of people who don't want their connection to the Nazis revealed; they will do anything to keep these memoirs from surfacing.
Christiana Moffa
Mar 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: WWII Fanatics
Nice, easy, fun read about a British secret agent in the early 1960s who is sent to Germany to find a manuscript written by Hitler's private secretery during the war. Apparently, the writings condemn many top officials in various countries for conspiring with the Nazis. If word gets out, what will happen and WHO will be punished? The hunt is a good one to follow...
Jean
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio version of this book. While listening, I thought of the Jason Bourne series, as there are lots of twists and turns, and international intrigue. It seemed to me that the audio version is abridged(?) It was a little over 4 hours long. Perhaps that means the book version drags?
Eunice Korczak
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I was not impressed. Jack Higgins can and has done much better. The story was okay, but it was told in shallow narrative. It seemed as if it had been written in an extreme rush - just tell the story with no feeling and no depth. Disappointing.
Marc
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: action
A good book to read if you like action. If you are looking for a more in depth story then probably this isn't the book for you. The plot is simple and to the point. Do not expect any Inception like plots. But that stated, Sean Dillon is an action hero you got to love.
Oleksiy Kononov
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A classic spy novel about a British agent involved in finding Martin Bormann's manuscript which exposes Nazi sympathizers. Not as good as The Eagle Has Landed or Luciano's Luck but worth reading if you like Higgins.
Maureen
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What can I say - Jack Higgins is my hero of fiction I loved this book and anyone who enjoys a diversion from the historical, self help, non fictional books, and enjoys a little espionage, this one is for you - maybe!
Dan
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Second Higgins book I've read after The Eagle Has Landed. A very good mystery thriller involving Nazis and a secret list of traitors. The main protagonist is well written and believable. A good read.
Linda
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good old Jack Higgins.
James Saunders
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bormann Testament

A very good book. I prefer the Sean Dillon or the Liam Devlin books but this is a very well written book. I recommend it to those that like action thrillers.
Jan
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
Typical Higgins - a little like James Bond and just as dated. Fun listen though.
Mike
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this book in eight years but as I continue to add my library of books I've read, this novel by Jack Higgins has stuck with me as a great read after all these years.
Indah Threez Lestari
909 - 2012
  • A Gathering of Spies
  • The Constantine Covenant
  • Blood of the Reich
  • Assignment in Brittany
  • Flesh Wounds (Inspector Troy, #5)
  • The Revolt of Gunner Asch
  • A Gathering of Saints
  • Paris-Underground
  • The Double-Cross System: The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • The Fourth Order
  • Daddy
  • Double Jeopardy (Tweed & Co. #1)
  • Fox on the Rhine (Fox on the Rhine, #1)
  • 27
  • Brandenburg
  • Pavel & I
  • Interrogations: The Nazi Elite in Allied Hands, 1945
  • The Killing of Emma Gross
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins

Paul Chavasse (6 books)
  • Year of the Tiger (Paul Chavasse #2)
  • The Keys of Hell (Paul Chavasse, #3)
  • Midnight Never Comes   (Paul Chavasse #4)
  • Dark Side of the Street (Paul Chavasse #5)
  • A Fine Night for Dying (Paul Chavasse #6)