Start by marking “Grandma's Purse” as Want to Read:
Grandma's Purse

Grandma's Purse

Spend the day with Mimi and her granddaughter in this charming picture book about the magic found in Mimi's favorite accessory, perfect for readers who love How to Babysit a Grandma!

When Grandma Mimi comes to visit, she always brings warm hugs, sweet treats...and her purse. You never know what she'll have in there--fancy jewelry, tokens from around the world, or something
Published April 1st 2018 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published January 9th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Grandma's Purse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandma's Purse

Start your review of Grandma's Purse
Leslie Reese
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
It wasn't until I read Denene Millner's Early Sunday Morning that I became acquainted with the illustration work of Vanessa Brantley-Newton. Turns out she writes children's books, as well. I located Grandma's Purse based on the title, alone, and I was not disappointed. I loved it! This book was published in 2018, so I was gratified to learn that the subject of a grandmother's purse still holds the significance it did for me back in the 19-you-know-whats!

The illustrations are bright and full of e
La Coccinelle
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
There's something almost universal about grandmas and their purses. Even though it's been a while since I was young enough to be fascinated by what could be in my grandmothers' purses, this book brought back memories (especially of things like fuzz-covered mints and gum; they're like a requirement or something).

The illustrations in this book are simply adorable. And I loved seeing what was in Grandma's purse. Her flip-phone was especially funny:

"Your phone looks like a toy."

"It has my friends' p
Elisabeth
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So one of my favorite things in the world is little girls and their purses and what treasures they decide to put in them. I am forever charmed and amused by this...so imagine my delight in this book! I loved it so much! Vanessa Brantley-Newton's illustrations are always so pleasing and her story was heartwarming. I thought of my mom, my daughter, my sister, my grandma, little me, big me....and I just wanted to give us all a big kiss with gloopy lipstick that I found at the bottom of somebody's p ...more
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Beautiful illustrations, but I found the narrative sadly lacking. Maybe it's because I didn't have a grandma with a bottomless purse and this didn't evoke any memories, but the story was kind of bland.
Clay Davis
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the online reading by Dana Perino.
Stephanie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun!
Alyssa Gudenburr
A SUPER cute book about all the things grandmas keep in their purses. A great story for mother's day for elementary children.
Inge
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adorable, warm and charming.
TIffany Mack
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because I always played with my grandma's purses or in them looking for candy.
Abigail
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Picture-Book Readers Looking for Stories About Grandmothers & Their Purses
Excited that her Grandma Mimi is coming over, the little-girl narrator of this warmhearted picture-book celebration of the grandparent-grandchild bond relates all of the many wonderful things she finds in her visitor's purse. From the lipstick her grandmother wears to the change purse her grandfather brought back as a present from Japan, the many objects revealed tell us a little bit about Mimi, and how she presents herself to the world. Naturally, the little girl wants to be just like her grand ...more
Debbie Smith
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
When Grandma Mimi comes to visit her little granddaughter there are always treasures to discover and share. Where? Grandma’s purse, of course. So the first thing to do when Grandma stops by is to ask to look inside her purse.

“I keep all kinds of things in my purse. You never know what you’ll want to have with you!”

So the discovery work begins with pulling out Grandma’s mirror and explaining why it is in her purse.

“I use it to put on my lipstick so my lips are ready to give you a big kiss!”

Togeth
Tasha
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
An African-American little girl’s grandma Mimi is coming to visit and she lets the little girl look at what she carries in her purse! There is a mirror for putting on lipstick, perfume, earrings, hairpins, candy, and much more. Larger things include her phone, a scarf, glasses, and a coin purse filled with coins and memories. The two of them talk about each thing and then the little girl gets to try some of it out, including the lipstick, hairpins, scarf and glasses. Then they look at pictures f ...more
Emma
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love everything Vanessa Brantley-Newton does and this book is no exception. A lovely story about a grandmother and grandchild. Very sweet. And honestly, let's hear it for the ladies with ginormous purses.

Also: the endpapers are really cute and I love that one has a big book of African Folk Tales <3
Jocelin
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I absolutely loved this book!!! The illustrations are simple and very colorful. The story is full of sweet nostalgia. Grandma's purse holds more than her personal items; it holds treats, mysteries, and a mirror. It was really cute to see grandmother and granddaughter interact with one another and explore the purse together. A wonderful book for storytime.
Margo Tanenbaum
I love this new picture book that features an African-American little girl and her grandma. Grandma's purse is full of fun things, and the book features adorable illustrations. Perfect for storytime or for grandparents of any ethnicity to share with their grandchildren. A great gift too for grandparents' collections.
Mary
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wnmdb, wish-list
A little girl describes the wonders found in her grandma's purse, including the gift of a purse of her own! The warm relationship between the grandma and the child is the highlight of the story.
Beautiful illustrations, sweet story. Brings back memories of going through my mother’s and baby sitter’s purses when I was a youth. Oh the treasures that were found!
Rebecca Honeycutt
So adorable I can't even. Makes a nice counterpoint to Vaunda Micheaux Nelson's Don't Call Me Grandma.
Melissa McAlvey
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, kids
The girls LOVED this book.
Chance Lee
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
Cute book about a girl and her grandma and grandma's purse with her old-person jitterbug phone in it.
Faith Tydings
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yesssss!!!! My grandmother had a "Mary Poppins," never-ending purse, too. Pure memory magic...the book, the purse, and my grandma!
Michele Reno
This book made me cry! It completely captures grandparent/grandchild relationships and all the sweetness and love involved. So sweet!
Mary
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heartfelt picture book about Grandma Mimi and her much anticipated visit with her granddaughter. They have a sweet relationship and both enjoy spending time exploring Grandma Mimi's purse. This is a wonderful grandparents story but this special connection can be extended to a toolbox, book bag, or large pocket of a favorite aunt or uncle. A simple story with a huge message!
Steph
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, books that have nothing but adorability are enough to carry the book. Human connection, love, and generosity make this a page turner. There is no villain. There is no conflict. Just page after page of kindness and adorability.
Deana Metzke
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Adorable book, especially for anyone whose mom or grandma has one of those purses with EVERYTHING in it.
Lynn
Very cute picture book about a girl who loves to go through grandma’s purse every time she visits. There’s always special things inside the get she loves to talk to grandma about.
June
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: African American or diverse grandparent requests
Recommended to June by: Goodreads
A little girl loves exploring her grandmother's purse with her when she visits.

Rounded up for the African American characters.
Diona West
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute and funny reminded me of my Grandma's purse.
Marcie
Can see why lots of Mimi's would want this to share with their littles.

CLEL Bell 2019 Shortlist Talk
Jill
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, how I loved how this depicted the wonderful magic that is a grandma (if you're lucky like I was) and how it can be identified in an object.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Honeysmoke: A Story of Finding Your Color
  • What Is Given from the Heart
  • Hair Love
  • Another
Vanessa Brantley Newton attended both SVA and FIT of New York, where she studied fashion and children’s illustration. An artist swathed in retro chic, she loves all things vintage – especially books and clothes from the 40s through the 60’s – and it shines through in her designs, which run the gamut of fun and whimsical to stylish and sophisticated. She loves to add unique touches to her work, inc ...more

News & Interviews