Start by marking “Thank You, Omu!” as Want to Read:
Thank You, Omu!

Thank You, Omu!

When the aroma of Omu's homemade stew fills the air, her neighbors arrive, one by one, for a taste until all is gone except for her generous spirit.
Published October 2nd 2018 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Thank You, Omu!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You, Omu!

David Schaafsma
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Omu means "queen," in Igbo, which is the tradition from which Mora writes. It has the shape of a folk tale, somewhat like Stone Soup in that food makes community. Omu is a grandmother who makes a rich Igbo stew and everyone that passes by and smells it cooking and nocks on her door gets a helping. . . until it is gone, alas. Though they all come back in the end to share their food with her, too. It's a about gratitude, helping others, sharing.

Great collage art, colorful. I read this because Aman
Brenda Kahn
This exuberant debut is sure to be a favorite read aloud. It's sort of a reverse Stone Soup in that Omu gives and gives and gives until she has no dinner for herself. The crisp collages help propel the story of a generous soul.
Abigail
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for New Picture-Books About Generosity & Gratitude
Omu cooks her delicious red stew all day in this delightful debut picture-book from author/illustrator Oge Mora, generously offering a portion to everyone who follows their nose and knocks on her door. When she finally reaches her own dinnertime however, she discovers that there is nothing left in her big pot. What will she do? Fortunately, her generosity finds its response in the people with whom she has shared, people who want to say: "Thank You, Omu!"

Omu, which apparently means "queen" in Igb
Chance Lee
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
During this past summer, I had the pleasure of listening to Oge Mora read the book and discuss her art. She was such a delight, and so is this story. It's a beautiful book and her lovingly made collages give much depth to her sweet characters.

Mrs. Krajewski
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everyone needs a book like this sometimes. ❤ ...more
Amy!
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I LOVE these illustrations, and the story is so warm and loving.
Cecelia
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanksgiving may now be past in the United States, but there’s no end date on sharing, giving thanks, and giving back. Author-illustrator Oge Mora’s debut picture book Thank You, Omu! is a gorgeous soon-to-be classic. It is perfect for year-round reading, and holiday gifting.

The thick red stew that Omu is making will surely be the best dinner that she has ever eaten. It smells wonderful and the taste test promises great things. However, when she sits down to read while she waits, the scent of he
Laura Harrison
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Beautiful, kind and original. One of the nicest picture books of 2018.
Lynn
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this debut author's picture book about generosity and community. Told with a lovely folk tale rhythm, this has the feel of a classic tale and will make a perfect read aloud.

The collage illustrations are absolutely terrific and a joy to experience along with the story. Done in warm mellow tones with many fascinating perspectives, they really match the feel of the story.
Robin
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated tale of sharing and nurturing community.
Emily
Omu, queen in Igbo, feeds her neighborhood and in return is fed. Very sweet, beautiful collaged illustrations.
Rebecca
This book got a Caldecott Honor this year (debut author/illustrator!) and is just as good as everyone says. Food, generosity, diverse characters, community helpers, and a sort of Stone Soup twist at the end make for an all-around winner.

"The collages for this book were created with acrylic paint, china markers, pastels, patterned paper, and old-book clippings."
Sandy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, that is a happy, good feeling book! It definitely put a smile on my face! As Omu reads a book, she lets the thick, red stew that she just made for her dinner simmer on the stove.

Soon, she gets a knock on the door and it’s a visitor who has smelled her delicious stew from down the hallway. Omu offers the small boy some of her stew which he eats (picture shows him licking the bowl).

All day long, the stew simmers on the stove, the delicious smell soaring through the air, drifting over the cit
Becky
First sentence: On the corner of First Street and Long Street, on the very top floor, Omu was cooking a thick red stew in a big fat pot for a nice evening meal. She seasoned and stirred it and took a small taste.

Premise/plot: Omu is making a thick, red stew. It smells AMAZING. The smell is so amazing that it brings people--one at a time--to her home. Omu begins to share her meal. Will she have enough for herself?

My thoughts: I really loved this one. Omu is such a sweet, generous soul. And as she
Claudia
I had this book in the car and my 6th grade Grand picked it up, attracted like I was, by the colorful cover...she read it silently, and then we talked...we both saw echoes of STONE SOUP, that old folk story of a community with next-to-nothing, coming together to share...but this Omu (Queen, as I learned) first shares with all who are brought to her apartment, following the smell of her red stew...until she discovers that she has given others all of her delicious stew. But never fear...Omu is par ...more
edh
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Omu is cooking a delicious, thick, red stew for her dinner. But when neighbors come knocking, she gives away one bowl... then another... until her dinner is all gone! But there is a surprise waiting for Omu as the neighbors come back. Dinner is saved, and everyone is grateful for their gifts. A 2019 Caldecott Honor book.
Jory
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this beautiful picture book about sharing food with neighbors. All that I aspire to lies in these pages. :) So happy it won some ALA awards this week!
Michael Francis Perez
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
An awesome picture book about sharing. Love the urban vibes here.
Collage illustrations and poetic text show exactly why this book about sharing won a Caldecott honor.
Dolly
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Using acrylic paint, china markers, pastels, patterned paper, and old-book clippings, the author has created collage illustrations that will entertain readers young and old alike.

The narrative describes how the kindness and generosity of one venerated member of the community comes back to her in kind.

I love how the neighbors are nameless, yet encompass a wide range of professions and backgrounds.

Overall, it's a fast read and shows how sharing our blessings with others can come right back to u
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I love this story. The message of kindness and generosity is timeless.
Amanda
I've been reading all the 2018 picture books I can, including nominations for best picture book here on Goodreads. Thank You, Omu! was not nominated, but it's my favorite of all I've read so far. I thought it worthy of taking a moment to mention.
What I love about it:

Debut author Oge Mora is also the illustrator, I love her collage art. I enjoy looking closer at the layers that make the pictures, and it reminds me of a project I did with my youngest when he was in 3rd grade.

It's not too long an
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Omu (AH-moo, Igbo for queen, or sometimes grandma, see Author's Note for more information) has made a thick red stew for her evening meal. Omu's stew is so good that the smell wafts over the neighborhood. Just as she sits down to read a book before supper, there is a knock on her door, a little boy asking what smells so delicious. Omu gives him a bowl full of stew and he goes on his way. All through the afternoon, neighborhood people knock on Omu's door asking what smells so good, and each is gi ...more
Jessica
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omu is the Nigerian word for "queen", but in the author's family it was used as her grandmother's name. In this story Omu cooks a big pot of delicious, fragrant red stew. As neighbors and workers in the neighborhood smell it they all come knocking, and she gives each of them a bowl. By the end of the day when her meal time comes around her stew pot is empty, but suddenly all of those who've received knock upon her door and bring their own foods to feast upon. It's a lovely story with beautiful c ...more
Linda
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: everyage
I had to wait a while for this one, many holds at the library! It is worth the wait! In the Igbo language, 'Omu' means "queen", but Oge Mora explains in her author's note that to her it means 'Grandma'. In memory of her own grandmother's welcome to anyone who is ready for a meal, Oge tells this tale of an Omu so generous that she gives away all her delicious stew. It all turns out happily and you'll need to read it to discover how. The mixed-media illustrations are as delicious as the story! I ...more
Margie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you were to walk through a specific neighborhood, in a specific city you might meet a very special woman. Thank You, Omu! (Little, Brown And Company, October 2, 2018) written and illustrated by debut author illustrator Oge Mora is the story of this woman. Like the aroma of the stew she is cooking her generosity wafts among her neighbors.

My full recommendation: https://librariansquest.blogspot.com/...
Autumn
Hoo boy, do I love this book. I love cut paper illustrations, and these are top-notch gorgeous ones. I love picture books starring elderly people, like Omu. I love a good debut. I love Maira Kalman style 'people in the neighborhood' books. I love for kids to learn about sharing and giving back as a community. I love how the author didn't provide a recipe for Omu's stew, and instead left it abstract and thus, universal. Shoot. What a home run. LOVE IT.
Emily
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet story of Omu, who gives and gives her delicious stew away to any who ask. By dinnertime, there is none left, but that doesn't mean she goes hungry! Beautiful collage illustrations reminiscent of Ezra Jack Keats.
Liz
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful debut book! Omu gives and gives her red stew away- until she has none for herself to eat. But karma comes to her in the form of her neighbors, who bring her a buffet from their tables. It's like The Giving Tree, if that book had an actual GOOD ending. Gorgeous collage style art, too!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
community, sharing, kindness
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • Dreamers
  • The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet!
  • We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga
  • Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
  • The Remember Balloons
  • All Are Welcome
  • What If...
  • Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Pie is for Sharing